(1) Nintendo Follow-Up [9/21]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only reason that Nintendo is throwing such a fuss is because pokebeach posted images before the actual release of Pokemon Black and White.
Does it make sense for Nintendo to do anything when the release of the new game is next day and wait 4-5 days for legal action, no it doesn't.
Are they allowed? Sadly yes because they are big ._.
In a court room, unless Nintendo has some amazing lawyers, I doubt anything that Pokebeach (or is it Pokerbeach?) will be classified as harming Nintendo sales production or anything. The only thing I can think of that could be harmful is that someone saw the sprites of the pokemon, didn't like them, and decided to not buy the game, but that going on a stretch.
I would assume that Pokebeach is allowed to post the sprites again, as long as they is something that say they are from offical Nintendo website and are not from any leakers website? I mean that lawyer really didn't do anything good with answering the question. It was a straight forward answer, and he avoided it with lawyer talk.

lotusoftheleaf said:
Would it be possible for WPM to get permission from Nintendo of Japan to use images from their games

He'd need to be backed legally, with explicit permission from the game developers. As for how possible that is, would require direct enquiries to gamefreak itself.

I hope someone is good in Japanese and would be able to send this to Gamefreak, and Masuda himself.

I dunno if this is something in the same case, but a person on YouTube got a strike because he uploaded the BW OST. I understands why. But then THIS thing here is crazy!
He had used a samilier soundfont from BW for a fanmade Team Rocket battle theme, which he then uploaded. Now its gone too! A fanmade and not copyrighted theme! :b

@XieRH You just took something and turned it completely in the opposite direction. There is nothing even remotely similar between the two. It's not like illegally COPYING something. And I doubt I'll be able to say this without you turning it into something completely different. You are taking pictures of a game you own to show more people what it's like therefore promoting the company through a fan-base.

As I said before, the copyright holders call the shots on what is or isn't legal. Right now NoA has said posting pics is a no-no. Their word is final. Even if you try to argue that sharing of pics is merely fan-promotion, that argument isn't going to hold any more than an argument for a guy videotaping a movie in a theatre to share online for "promotional" purposes. It's harsh but that's how legal stuff works, it's in black and white, no ifs or buts.

U know what's funny guys. If it wasn't for pokebeach I wouldn't have even known a new version was gonna get released LOL!
Good job nintendo, ur biting urself lol.

@XieRH Why do you insist that it is the same as your example? It is we, the consumers, that give them enough power to declare these things. However, when they say things like we'll sue you if you continue promoting is the same as saying we don't want anyone else to buy from us so we can lose money and be lying in the dirt every night. What they are doing makes no sense AT ALL. I never said they couldn't declare this. I was just saying NoA is stupid for doing so.

Smelly_Snake@ but the thing is, that its only breaking the "copyright" to the pics that WPM has posted. All the infomation about Black and White is, weird enough, not wrong to leak :b

omegaGogeta said:
@XieRH Why do you insist that it is the same as your example? It is we, the consumers, that give them enough power to declare these things

Please don't overstate yourself. Who do you think you are, a stakeholder of NoA? You are nobody. We all are. We do not have the power to state any terms or conditions because we have no stake in the franchise.

What nintendo does is stupid, but it's not a crime to be stupid. If it WERE a crime to be stupid, all the stupid people in the world would be in jail, or persecuted some other way.

By purchasing from them we are giving them power. And I did not overstate myself. What I said in my last post was the way it should best be put.

By purchasing from them we are giving them power.

Then don't purchase from them and see just how less powerful they become.

I swear, some people here think that just because they're fans, they hold the franchise in the palm of their hand... I'm against Nintendo's actions too, but some of the behaviour here is really a little bit overboard. Yeah, as overboard as what Nintendo did.

I wholeheartedly agree with you WPM. As a former webmaster myself, I can really tell how much unrecognized effort you put into this site. Enough said.

@XieRH You make it sound like I'm speaking with arrogance. I'm not. I'm trying to get my point across and that's all.

And in all honesty, I don't like to argue with people over a petty issue. As a matter of fact, I'm sorry for arguing in the first place.

100% agree with you WPM! Sites like yours keep me interested in Pokemon, and make me buy their products. Dumbass Nintendo. I could see if they emailed you weeks ago when things were leaking, but now, now that it is officially released in Japan, they have no argument. You disappoint me Nintendo. Guardian dislikes -25.

Nintendo's just trying to show their "appreciation" for the people who've been loyal to and have been publicizing about their franchises. Trying to hold on too tightly to whatever you have may not be a good thing at all. You'll end up losing everything. It's not as if a few screenshots will cause them to lose like millions or what. It only serves to keep the hype up. Not like the Pokemon Sundays and Corocoros which don't reveal that much to keep the hype this high. Hype = interest to buy game = $$$$$$MOOLAHHH$$$$$$$$$

And why did they only target Pokebeach and Serebii and not other sites? I bet it's somebody in the dark who's trying to do something funny and set them up lol.

Pokemon BW are new games, new begining. It's natural that they want to protect the games before they are released everywhere. Although 'substantial damage' to Nintendo --> What, you think that because someone has posted picture of IceCream Pokemon and Cynthia saying something people won't buy the game? Get real. The more pictures --> More intrest --> More buying games --> More money for you --> More fun for us. And everyone happy^^

@Volcanflame: Ditto. XD

This damn "lawlsuit" is becoming gradually more ridiculous with every passing day. To think, they were going to take WPM's .com away! And for what? What could NoA possibly gain from that? Nothing, that's what! As others have stated, this all seems very suspicious to me. I don't doubt the authentification of the letter, but this lawyer seems like such a [insert any and all appropriate swear words]. The ambiguity of the letters frustrates me, but basically, their reasoning for issuing the C&D was that there were too many images from the games on the site. It's implied that these images infringed upon Nintendo's copyrights, but I'd like to know HOW. As far as I can see, the images neither violated Nintendo's copyright nor violated its intellectual property. I just don't see what they're gaining from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back