(1) New Pokemon Manga to Target Older Fans [1/17]

Pokemon manga? In Shonen? I'm hoping the English Shonen Jump will have it in! ^^

For a manga aimed at older audiences, it looks like typical shonen fare to me (almost got a very beyblade-character vibe from the pics).

As far as my personal tastes are though... pokespe (pokemon adventures for westerners) is pretty much perfect. It has a good mix of seriousness and light-heartedness, and a lot of the battles are more intense (Cynthia vs Cyrus = epicness... which was pretty long awaited as DP arc was stagnating). It's probably the most persistent pokemon-related thing I involved myself in. While I dropped the TCG after 2001 and no longer faithfully follow the anime, my interest in the manga never waned.

Well, Shonen Sunday's main readership is 13-18; which is actually slightly higher than that of Shonen Jump. From the looks of the protagonist, it looks like it will be aimed at the lower half of that scale.

Obviously, I don't expect drugs gangs, violent Stolen and bloody violence, but even if it dealt with a few more mature themes, then it should do well. I hope it does well, so Viz Media can license it and release it (they did recently start a Shonen Sunday imprint didn't they?).

I love the pokemon manga in general, but if they are striving to appeal to an older audience It is going to have to be deep and possibly dark (in a reading sense, not the coloring of the pages)

Glad to hear that there will finally be a Pokemon manga for the older audience. Since I never seriously read the Pokemon manga before this could hopefully be a nice start. The character that is supposedly the main character seems to be taken from Beyblade or Bakugan. Hopefully the manga turns out to be great and we hear more information about it soon.

They won't be able to attract the older audience with those childish looking characters.

Yeah count me in as part of that non-attracted audience. Maybe it's just the mangaka's art style but I kinda still prefer the character designs of pokespe, which... granted are derived from the games anyway.

Why couldn't they just base the Manga off of the old series that we didn't get from Japan? I feel like they're cheating on us. Judging that the main character is taken from Beyblade (Jinga) or Bakugan (Dan **cough** Kuso) I got a feeling this is going to be really bad.

They should've done Red from the classic games instead.

this could be interesting,i am 17 and read alot of manga and i always wanted to read a pokemon manga this could be good.

as for the characters they dont look that bad to me. i actually like how they look....

so idk i wouldnt judge till i read it. looks good :)

Be more open minded guys, the black and white illustration looks promising and sort of badass.
I don't expect this to be on par with Full Metal Alchemist, but a more mature Pokemon manga is certainly an exciting prospect! I thought that PokeSpe was already a bit mature in itself, but I am excited for an original storyline. The fact that InuYasha runs in the same magazine makes me ponder about the content of this manga.
Pokemon Black and White are a step up from the kiddyness that existed throughout the series, what with older characters, a slightly better storyline, more dynamic battle scenes, and less cute and more eccentric Pokemon designs ( a good thing ).
Hopefully we'll see more mature Pokemon content in the future!

Although this new idea does sound weird, I am interested in reading this, being a fan of all the Pokemon Manga series, I will be reading this to see how it is, so I can't wait to see it in the future.

The protagonist looks kind of weird, but I like the other characters in the pic, at least the three in front that aren't too small and blurred.

....That doesn't look like Zekrom.... I can make out the horn that's usually on the back of Zekrom's head, but the rest of the body doesn't fit Zekrom very well.... Perhaps a possible 6th Gen Pokemon? If it were Zekrom there would be no reason it was silhouetted like that, but it could probably be Zekrom after all but I don't really know what to think of it.

@nikohesus
You are right, Black and White seemed more mature, than previous games, mabye GF will continue with this, but hopefully not go to far. Anyway N looks like a mature character, and I though N's Castle was just really mature.

------------

Back on topic, I think that shadow might be Zekrom? Is this manga supposed to be part of Black and White?

Maybe their finally realizing that us older people are as dedicated to their franchise as much as their younger fans since we cough up the cash ourselves for them rather than a parent doing it for a child.

@EPF The manga is based on Black and White, notice the hexagonal Pokeball on the dude's glove and the actual words of the article.

I think the shadow is reshiram because of the two tail things remind me of the things going off of reshis head.

This looks pretty sweet. I tried out the DP manga, but liked the original more. The characters do look Beyblade-ish, which is a good thing (I guess). Wonder how this'll turn out.

Back