(1) M Venusaur-EX from ‘XY Collections’ Revealed! [11/7]

Although that is true, that does not make it any less terrifying. Switch is still common, yes, but if M-Venusaur EX requires people to start running Virizion EX etc just to stop it, it would make for a pretty stale and irritating format.
Similar to the days of Machamp SF, when everyone had to run Unown G just to stop Take Out.

Edit:
The drawback is that you have to play it.

HA
Well played, sir.

DNA said:
Although that is true, that does not make it any less terrifying. Switch is still common, yes, but if M-Venusaur EX requires people to start running Virizion EX etc just to stop it, it would make for a pretty stale and irritating format.
Similar to the days of Machamp SF, when everyone had to run Unown G just to stop Take Out.

Edit:
The drawback is that you have to play it.

HA
Well played, sir.

The fact that Virizion EX is actually very common makes M-Venasaur not so great. People are hyping Virizion/Genesect with Energy Switch, which already has a built in Virizion. Additionally, MegaSaur is very inconsistent. Once it gets KOd, which should NOT take too long, you can just get steamrolled because MegaSaur is SO inconsistent. If it took GGCC for the attack, it would be broken. What made ParaPoison deadly last format is that Virizion EX didn't exist and Switch was blocked with Goth. Even Keldeo EX "can" counter MegaSaur because of the loss of auto catcher.

I agree with those who dislike the attack name being in the artwork. That's gotta be one of the strangest decisions made for the artwork. It doesn't make the card look any better and if it becomes a recurring theme and ends up on a Mega with a terrible attack, it would be like adding insult to injury. "Ah HA! Not only are you unusable as a card, your artwork is now forever destroyed by your terrible attack's name being plastered over it in giant capital letters!"

Crazy attack name nonsense aside, seems like they're really hurting for space on the card. Giant Mega Evolution ruling box, decent-sized EX ruling box, artwork effects going crazy all over the place, leaving room for only 1 attack. Wowey-woowey that's a lot of stuff on a card.

The card in itself looks ridiculous. Crisis Vine should be omitted from the artwork, and it definitely is a strange take. I am in 100% agreement with Xous - there's just too much going on with this card. Just...cramped.

I'm sad now that old school Wailord ex is no longer the Pokémon card with the greatest HP, and also sad that it's still only a two-Prize deal for taking out Mega Evolutions. Crisis Vine + Virbank can be seen somewhat of a niche, but because Catcher is no longer a thing, Keldeo/Float Stone should have some swagger back.

Still hate Mega Venusaur.

I kinda like the comic book style words on the card art, but that's just me:p
We knew that Mega Pokemon would change the game, and they have.

There's no way you can stop that thing!!! ( Unless you have a Mega Charizard that has 250 HP and can do 130 damage and a double burn:) )
Don't worry, there will be plenty of overpowered Mega Pokemon to level the playing field, this is just one card!

So... why is this supposed to be impressive?

Yes, it has broken certain assumed template "rules", but that's about it. It has 230 HP in a format where that is a 2HKO. It automatically Paralyzes in a format where few decks don't already run counters to this. It ends your turn and is worth two Prizes when KOed, so even if isn't OHKOed, your opponent gets a free attack in.

Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Wouldn't be the first time. Right now I am not seeing why this is impressive. The attack is what you need to be competitive in the current format, given the Energy cost... but the drawbacks of being a Mega Evolution might still be too much.

Welp, there goes the meta....

230 HP is purely ridiculous, however, I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming. 120 AND paralyze AND poison is just OP when matched up with certain techs. This card just makes Virizion more and more dominant.

As for the art, it's not as bad as some say. Yes the "CRISIS VINE" is out of place and would ruin many other card's artwork, but I think if we had a clearer image it wouldn't be as bad.

Also, with Crisis Vine being in the artwork (most likely) meaning that the attack name of all Mega Pokémon will be in the art, does this mean that Mega Pokémon only get 1 attack?

flilix said:
This card is way to strong.
Putting it mildly, yeah. The more I look at this card (and the fact I only just noticed it can automatically paralyze) the more I think that they went far too overboard with this one. I thought the new EXs were a little too overpowered, but I thought it wasn't too insane. However, considering how these mega Pokémon may reach closer to 300 HP I think the game has become too power mad. My advice to people who don't like this; make an extra rule with friends to not use any mega Pokémon if they have any.

Momaster12 said:
Welp, there goes the meta....

230 HP is purely ridiculous, however, I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming.
Agreed. And if you give Crystal wall to Black Kyurem EX, he has 300 HP.
So I saw that coming for more than a year.

I am praying that the 'Crisis Vine' text doesn't actually appear on the card. If it does, it removes any chance of being a collectors item lol. No matter how good the card looks that text completely destroys the quality of the card honestly

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Keeper of Night said:
Not sure if Keldeo will see more or less play after this thing is released.
Virizion/Venusaur will now rule the format.

Preview

The world may never know. ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't think the card is viable. Much less broken. And it definately is not what a mega should have been. Megas should have been the new Lv.X, playing it on top of normal pokemon. Not being an EX.
The attack is horrible. Costs too much energy to be of much use. And, like stated before, Virizion and Switch are common sights in the meta. Auto paralyze is good, but unless you can lock items as well, it has really nothing going for it.

I'm more concerned about what this card implies than what it does. Okay, so it isn't broken (supposedly) in today's meta, but then what? Does that mean that M-Evolutions are just going to get bigger from here on out? Is this just a foretaste of what is to come? Has the game royally screwed itself over?

Remember when Mewtwo-EX was revealed? Everyone thought it would be broken and the only counter would be another Mewtwo. And they were right - Mewtwo had a stranglehold on the format all the way up to Plasma Storm.

I really like the design and playability of these cards, however, I do not like the attack name going across the picture, It's not very appealing. Anyways, HP in the 200s will be interesting...and AWESOME!

Does this still count as an evolution where you wouldn't be able to have it up T1?
Because I honestly find this card underwhelming. If you combo it with Virizion (likely its best partner RN) the earliest you could attack is what, T3/4? And that's assuming you'll be able to get a T2 Emerald Slash with an energy switch on T3. Plus there are a ton of counters to this (Keldeo/Float Stone, Switch, Escape Rope). Had the energy been GGCC it would be broken IMO.

230 HP O_O

wat

I hate the fact that the attack is positioned directly on the actual artwork itself. Like, seriously, why!?! You're spoiling the artwork, and like Xous said, trying to cramp a lot of things within the card. I was seriously hoping for some interesting card designs this gen, but this just disappointed me. lol

Let's hope that they don't decide to do this to the other Mega cards. >.>

Derp, well, in terms of competitive viability, it's actually pretty bad .-.

The fact that you have to end your turn even getting it out makes it hard to use as a primary attacker; and the 230 Hp is it's only real selling point. GGGC for 120 damage is bad even for a regular EX, and while the Paralyze + Poison is cool, the extremely heavy attack cost combined with the Mega restriction makes it literally unplayable, not to mention that Virizion EX stops the conditions anyway.

DNA said:
I'm more concerned about what this card implies than what it does. Okay, so it isn't broken (supposedly) in today's meta, but then what? Does that mean that M-Evolutions are just going to get bigger from here on out? Is this just a foretaste of what is to come? Has the game royally screwed itself over?

Remember when Mewtwo-EX was revealed? Everyone thought it would be broken and the only counter would be another Mewtwo. And they were right - Mewtwo had a stranglehold on the format all the way up to Plasma Storm.

Mewtwo EX was completely different. It was/is fast, strong, splashable, and consistent. Mega Evolutions won't be fast, splashable, or consistent, although they may be strong.
The only way Mega Evos will be good is if a deck is based around it.

Back