(1) Isshu Starter's English Names Revealed! [11/22]

It retains so much lexicographical similarity to the original name that I would've just stuck with the original...

Bro, if you like water starters you might as well nickname Oshawott- which is named after the town in Canada rather than the ocean- or wait for the name of the final evolution.

Off Topic: XieRh, the Meloetta are too cute.

Thease name sucks! Snivy? Baaaad! Tepig? BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! Oshawott? You fudging idiots ruined Mijumaru! Die you all!

And of course, without even reading the past posts for explanations, some ignorant fool decides to flame and troll. You even cursed, and you wish for Game Freak to die. What kind of a Pokemon fan are you?

nikohesus said:
What kind of a Pokemon fan are you?

Most people think fans are these really supportive and loyal bunch of guys, etc. But many fans in reality only have their supportiveness specifically focused on the traits they desire (for example, liking a particular song rather than the singer who sings it).

If undesirable traits come up (like the singer releasing a new album that is disliked), you will see the "supportive and loyal" fan transform into something that looks like the exact opposite of a fan.

Of course not all fans are like that... but many are...

To me Oshawott sounds more like an Electric-Water type not a Water type. I'm okay with Snivy's name and Tepig has a pretty good name. I think the names they choose are a lot better then what I would come up with. Although I'm nicknaming Oshawott as soon as I get the chance.

Pff, I've already gotten used to the English names for the starters. xD Tepig sounds pretty cute, and now that numerous people explained the reasoning behind its name, I'm starting to like it. I'm sure most people know by now that Tepig is derived from tepid (meaning lukewarm), and Tepig doesn't have any flames on its body yet, and it's still young, so maybe that's why it's only "lukewarm". :>

I've been hearing a whole bunch of different things from Oshawott's name. Some people've said that the "oshaw" part in its name comes from being near a river or something, or that Oshawa is a name of a samurai family which also works. I just want to know STRAIGHT UP where the "oshaw" part in Oshawott's name comes from. =/

I still can't get over how Oshawott sounds alot like saying, "Oh Shi- What!?" lolz. The Grass Starter is now reminding me too much of Snively whose Dr. Robotnik/Eggman's lackey in the Sonic cartoons, and Tepig well, still doesn't make sense.

@ManhattanTheStarr

At the town in Canada, Oshawa I believe, that is known for its fur trade including otter fur. That's one plausible explanation.

@Shimama-man

*facepalm* So you'll rather play the Japanese version because you don't like the names for the English version which you can probably understand more? Have you ever heard of nicknames?

I thought oshawott sounded a little more foreign than mijumaru. Lolz. I've already gotten used to snivy and tepig. Im kinda suprised at the name choices. Especially snivy.

I'll get used the names but for now I hate Tepig. Also the logos suck thanks to the yellow and blue "Pokemon" word, but the "black version" and "white version" words look good. I just really wish they kept the "Pokemon" word black and white because the color ruins the title screen's black and white color scheme.

I can't believe people are still ranting over the starters' names. Wait, I take that back. We're pokemon fans, it makes perfect sense that people are still ranting. It didn't take me more than 20 minutes before those names sounded perfectly fine to me. And while everyone seems to be upset with either Tepig or Oshawott, I actually thought Snivy was the weakest of the 3 names. It's just so dang obvious. As is Tepig when you think about it, but unless you're using the word tepid in casual conversations all the time (and I think most people would just go with lukewarm or something), it at least feels like some effort was put into it. Anyway, I really like Oshawott and Tepig, and Snivy doesn't really bother me.

Why??!??? did they change the names??!!??:(
Tsutarja, Pokabu and Mijumaru pwned :D the new names (Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott):(. And why in the name of all the arceus gods out there unova?
Isshu was the best region name ever!:cool: (Much better than kanto,{C} johto, {R} sinnoh {P} and hoenn{L}).
Good that they atleast kept the namesof reshiram{R} and zekrom{L}.:rolleyes:

(l{C}l rand{C}m en{G} rgy symb{C} ls FT{W}!!!!)

^You know, if they did keep the names, people would be complaining that they were being lazy. Give the names a few minutes, they'll grow on you.

Also, try and cut back on the energy symbols - It's not pleasant to read.

Snivy: As Everyone got it right the whole (except for Smugleaf fans....) But, can people just Stop being Upset over something you got right! You should be happy that some of you got it right.

Tepig: For me, execpt you jerks (whoever are mean to him....) I like his name, and his character, and everything about this guy. Why being a big whiner about everything like, his type when he evolve, and Now his Name!? Wow.... i mean......WOW! You guys ar complete jerks, nowonder why you just gave your hopes up.... You need to Stop Whining, and Hating for these reason.... Please be nice to this little cute Pig.

Oshawott: It's kinda of a Silly Name, that wanted to be stealing Mudkip's Fame! This name is just so random, but silly at the same time.... It's a funny, so i give it a good name..

Should have been Grass - Boaleaf Fire - Emboar Water - Ninjotter

Acually the canadian city is named oshawa its in ontario

Except those would have been bad, because now most people have gotten used to them. I still use the japanese ones but i prefer to use the english ones, which i also like when i am talking about the English Generation 5.

Smugleaf, Pignite & Wotter, those should have been the names, and i'm stickin with these, Pokemon USA is one giant FAILboat, the suck at everything, especially naming pokemon:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/smugleafsnivy

Smugleaf ftw!!!

ZoroarkDude24 said:
Why??!? did they change the names??!!??

In the history of starters only 1 starter has retained its Japanese root name rather than having an original western name... you shouldn't really be surprised...

Back