(1) English Names Revealed for Latest Batch of News, New Type Changes [9/13]

xxashxx said:
Drokas said:
Yeah, pretty sure they made a mobile version precisely because of the 3DS browser. The more compact, the faster. I mean, Pokémon's and Nintendo's official websites also have a mobile(/3DS) version.
By the way, are you guys sure there's gonna be another Dream World? I don't see nothing about it just by looking at the new screenshots. No option/menu, nothing. o_O I think the new PGL is more like a Facebook timeline but only with your X&Y game data (game progress, photos from the game, your trades, news and events, rating battles, etc).

Yeah they will be uploading it the week of October 1st-12th XD. 6th gen DW opens on the day of the games release XD. Check their closure notice for gen 5 XD.:)

Hum, okay but it's strange they don't even mention it (or show it on the screencaps) here or on Pokémon's official website.. =S But anyway, thanks ^^'

What does Braixen even originate from? It looks German or something. At least I could sorta understand the other two starters names, as Quilladin comes from Quill+dinner and Frogadier from Frog and I forgot what dier comes from.

Blob55 said:
What does Braixen even originate from? It looks German or something. At least I could sorta understand the other two starters names, as Quilladin comes from Quill+dinner and Frogadier from Frog and I forgot what dier comes from.

Brigadier and I think Braixen is Brain + Vixen or something like that. Brain hinting Psychic evo.

Pokewiz1999 said:
Blob55 said:

Brigadier and I think Braixen is Brain + Vixen or something like that. Brain hinting Psychic evo.

Why Vixen? It looks feminine, but won't it still be 1/8 chance of being female?
Also, even if they reverse it to 1/8 male, then why are other feminine starters, like the Chikorita line mostly male?

Blob55 said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

Why Vixen? It looks feminine, but won't it still be 1/7 chance of being female?
Also, even if they reverse it to 1/7 male, then why are other feminine starters, like the Chikorita line mostly male?

How am I supposed to know? If it isn't Brain + Vixen what do you think it is?

Pokewiz1999 said:
Blob55 said:
Also, even if they reverse it to 1/7 male, then why are other feminine starters, like the Chikorita line mostly male?

I'm just saying whoever dubs the names didn't really think it through.

jdivinity said:
I think he was going for an Aurora Borealis type of thing for Amaura's frills.
That's pretty cool; I hadn't noticed that.
Zielo said:
Maybe there are more designs than just the 3 we've seen? That or maybe we just have to unlock all 3 and those are our only options.
I think it's most likely that it we'll get to pick individual options for different sections such as head, hindquarters, tail, feet, color, etc.
DNA said:
My opinion of Xerosic:
(do not open if you are somewhat squeamish)

Every time I see Xerosic, he looks like some kind of rapist.

I think it's the gloves.

Like he precursors it with "Trust me; I'm a doctor".
He really reminds me of a character from the movie Kite (it's a cartoon so you should totally show it to young children or google image search it with your grandparents in the room) named Kanie who actually is, in fact, a rapist. He's the guy on the right:
kite4.jpg

Rangermon said:
It's pronounced as Brexen, which is a fundamental flaw in the American pronunciation of English.
How do you know how it's pronounced?
Pokewiz1999 said:
I've heard braise + vixen, which seems most likely to me because it comes from a French word. I've also heard branch + vixen, which I can see because Fennekin's name could reference kindling.

Blob55 said:

Cinesra said:
I've heard braise + vixen, which seems most likely to me because it comes from a French word. I've also heard branch + vixen, which I can see because Fennekin's name could reference kindling.

Quilladin is most likely "quill" + "paladin". How one goes from being a paladin to being a Dark-type is beyond me, but we'll see.

For Braixen, the "braise" root seems pretty likely, but given its witchiness the fact that the Portuguese word for "witch" is bruxa might also be relevant.

The ending of Frogadier is from either "grenadier" (one in charge of grenades or missiles) or "brigadier" (a military rank).

Pokewiz1999 said:
Blob55 said:

It comes from the French word for burning coal, I believe (don't quote me on that), and vixen because its obviously a feminine fox. A lot of other femme looking Pokemon are also mostly male, or have a large number of males. Just look at Loppuny, Gardevoir, and Leavanny.

DorianBlack said:
For Braixen, the "braise" root seems pretty likely, but given its witchinss the fact that the Portuguese word for "witch" is bruxa might also be relevant.

That bruxa thing was mainly a joke between Leaf_Ranger and me because I said it looked like Braixen was using its branch was a wand (during CoroCoro leaks) and he knew I would understand it since we're both Portuguese. ^^'
But if you're really taking it into account, you should also consider bruja as well (Spanish).

Drokas said:
DorianBlack said:
For Braixen, the "braise" root seems pretty likely, but given its witchiness the fact that the Portuguese word for "witch" is bruxa might also be relevant.

That bruxa thing was mainly a joke between Leaf_Ranger and me because I said it looked like Braixen was using its branch was a wand (during CoroCoro leaks) and he knew I would understand it since we're both Portuguese. ^^'
But if you're really taking it into account, you should also consider bruja as well (Spanish).

Well yeah, they come from the same root. But I pointed to Portuguese because there's no x in bruja. :/

DorianBlack said:
Drokas said:

Well yeah, they come from the same root. But I pointed to Portuguese because there's no x in bruja. :/

You also have a u in the middle but okay then xD I seriously doubt it since games don't usually use Portuguese words as a base for something but who knows, it could be a new thing, ^^'

Drokas said:
DorianBlack said:

You also have a u in the middle but okay then xD I seriously doubt it since games don't usually use Portuguese words as a base for something but who knows, it could be a new thing, ^^'

Pokemon use non english words from time to time, take maractus (maracas); articuno, zapdos, moltres (one, two, three); deino, zweilous, hydreigon (one, two, three); gardevoir (guard, duty, see), latias, latios (lateo, hidden); tirtouga (tortuga, turtle) and many more I didn't notice.

I think it has all those roots: bruxa (witch theme), vixen (fox theme, feminine), braise (fire type), branch (it's wand), brasa (ember), brazier, and more.

professorlight said:
Drokas said:

Pokemon use non english words from time to time, take maractus (maracas); articuno, zapdos, moltres (one, two, three); deino, zweilous, hydreigon (one, two, three); gardevoir (guard, duty, see), latias, latios (lateo, hidden); tirtouga (tortuga, turtle) and many more I didn't notice.

I think it has all those roots: bruxa (witch theme), vixen (fox theme, feminine), braise (fire type), branch (it's wand), brasa (ember), brazier, and more.

I meant exclusively for Portuguese words. That's why I mentioned the Spanish word, since the games were localized to that language instead. And I know some names were based in Latin and such but that was not my point. It's just that games don't seem to care about Portugal's culture in general (usually) xD

Other than the fantasy RPG tropes, how about those 18th century armies with those muskets, grenadiers, sabres, and all that? Perhaps the starters can represent Medieval France, France in the 1800's, and France in uh, before humans.

Grass starter is Medieval, if the whole Paladin thing is true.
Water is the days of muskets and grenadiers.
Fire is, well it's a stick. Cavemen use sticks. Braixen's stick is not confirmed to be a wand yet. It is stated that Braixen lights the stick on fire, not wave it around like a wand.

Any speculation, no matter how wild, or how much you think is true is all baseless until we see the final evolved forms. I really want to see the final evolved forms already.

Drokas said:
professorlight said:

I meant exclusively for Portuguese words. That's why I mentioned the Spanish word, since the games were localized to that language instead. And I know some names were based in Latin and such but that was not my point. It's just that games don't seem to care about Portugal's culture in general (usually) xD

Hey, they don't care too much for spanish culture also... I mean, most games are translated to spanish because there's half a continent and an european country that have that language, so it's a pretty big market share, and even then, most are just subtitled (In my opinion, that's good, since it keeps the original voices and meanings, but some people are too lazy to bother reading).
The games market is dominated by japan and the US, after all, and those countries and cultures are not exactly famous for their deep knowledge and consideration of outside stuff. So, whatcha gonna do, right?

Rangermon said:
It's pronounced as Brexen, which is a fundamental flaw in the American pronunciation of English.

It's not really a flaw, as the ai combo is pronounced e in French. Which makes even more sense if Braixen is indeed a portmanteau of braise (French for ember) and vixen.

I was actually surprised they used the term vixen (female fox) in the name. When I used the term for my fake evolutions Kinvix and Pyrokinen, I was worried that it was too much in favorite of the female gender and that isn't something Pokemon usually does unless its gender specific, like 100% female. I don't recall them ever doing it anyway, but I don't feel like looking at every name to confirm this.

My prediction is though that since this generations theme is genetics, starters will finally have a 50/50 chance of being male or female. I never understood that rule anyway and I always thought it was completely unnecessary. At the same time though, the vixen in the name could just simply refer to the feminine look it has...

Cinesra said:
Zielo said:
Maybe there are more designs than just the 3 we've seen? That or maybe we just have to unlock all 3 and those are our only options.
I think it's most likely that it we'll get to pick individual options for different sections such as head, hindquarters, tail, feet, color, etc.

Oh this would be pretty cool too I suppose. The blue one is my favorite, but it would be neat to have the tail of the blue, feet of the pink, and head of the orange or something like that.

In relation to the Braixen name discussion, I'm going to quote the part of my previous post that's relevant (Although, I like the idea that its a combination of Braise + Vixen too):

I'm not sure where they're going with Fennekin's line, but I like it. I think it might have a brushfire/forest fire theme based on the naming so far. Fennekin seems like a combination of Fennec + Kindle/Kindling, which are usually small twigs, leaves, or even scrap wood left over after splitting. Braixen appears to be taking this scheme up a level by combining Branch + Vixen (vixen, of couse being a female fox, and it's honestly got a rather feminine form in my eyes)

Perhaps Fennekin's appetite for branches causes a great deal of collateral damage via forest fires, and as it evolves it learns to control its destructive nature on the environment (namely trees, which take a very long time to grow back). Its description mentioned that it casts spells-- maybe its final evolution uses its developed powers to protect and speed the growth of trees? Also, its ear-tufts kind of remind me of Sawsbuck's summer antlers in a way.

Back