(1) 6th Generation Coming Soon? [11/26]

I definitely agree, Pokemon seems to be rushing this generation out the door! But first, some minor notes:

• I think most every country got a Genesect distribution on their B2W2 release date, not just Japan.
  • I guess Pokemon Rumble Blast was the first true Pokemon 3DS game, not Magnagate.
You know, that brings up a good point: The whole world has access to Genesect, strongly suggesting that the upcoming movie has some brand-new content. Heck, Genesect might be nothing but a minor character!

I meant that Magnagate is the first actual 3D Pokemon game. A full-fledged Pokemon game in 3D.

Those are actually some very interesting points you've made.
I certainly agree with the rushing of this Gen.
I thought about that too around the time when Keldeo and Meloetta were revealed. They were being done way too fast.
I hope they are rushing this for 3DS releases. Not just the money.
Of course money is the whole point but I really don't want my favourite franchise of all time to do a Call of Duty where games are coming out very often.

That said... can't wait for any and all 6th Generation hints!
Though if there actually was a movie all about N and Ghetsis and Team Plasma, a movie just focused on those characters, no Pokemon, it would be absolutely amazing.

It would be! And that could actually destroy a lot of my post. But unfortunately, there's no precedence for it. The human characters have never been a major selling point in CoroCoro or any ads or marketing campaigns. That theory actually has some credence since Team Plasma, N, and Ghetsis are so heavily involved in Genesect's back story in the games (though the movies usually strip away any of the game origins for Legendary Pokemon).

Water Pokémon Master said:
I meant that Magnagate is the first actual 3D Pokemon game. A full-fledged Pokemon game in 3D.

Yeah, I guess Pokemon Rumble Blast doesn't really count, it's a bit too spinoff-y.

(BTW I was visiting USC last weekend and remembered you're studying film there)

Nintendan said:
Though if there actually was a movie all about N and Ghetsis and Team Plasma, a movie just focused on those characters, no Pokemon, it would be absolutely amazing.

A Plasma movie would be amazing! Unlikely, though, which is a shame.

obviously there is gonna be something new.

Heres my take on this topic
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/journal/What-s-their-next-move-2-0-335223314

1.-Genesects reveal was rushed
2.-The DS is dead
3.-Gen3 games are as outdated as Gen1

Now on to why each of these matters and what the consequences are.

1.The reveal of Genesect (and wifi-download release shortly after) at the end of Keldeos Movie (Meloetta was in the short that plays before it) was completely unexpected by everyone.
So they have nothing left to drag this generation out a bit longer like was the case with Arceus, which was neatly being promoted along the GS remakes in generation IV. Generation V can therefore be considered finished.

Since only the supporting legendary roles of the next movie are revealed in the summer (and the actual star several months later in February), it is clear that some new Pokemon will be revealed this Winter. And that will signal a 6th generation being fully in development.

2.With the DS out of the way for good, it simply means that any future game will be made for the 3DS, which has been out for almost 2 years now. Its way overdue for a big franchise like Pokemon to start helping Nintendo sell its current handheld anyway.

This means that the next game will technically run on a new engine, new graphics etc, which basically makes it the game that sets the style that will last through generation 6.

3.The majority of people are expecting RSE remakes. Sounds easier than it is for Gamefreak to realize for a lot of minor reasons (like the issues that arise in the plot if they decided to skip Emerald like before, or the fact that RSE took place a decade ago next to recent games), and major reasons (it does not fit well with the fact that they need to do something new). But the thing is also, that RSE are just as old as the first remakes of the first games. Which begs the question, how justified is it to continue remaking newer games when the oldest become the oldest again?

And this emerging irony is why I think it is time to abandon the "remake concept" and replace it with something fresh. Especially now when the "simple third version concept" was just replaced with something actually creative, "sequels".

The conclusions from this:

1.-Gen V is finished
2.-next game will be Gen 6 "style" (a proper 3DS game)
3.-if Hoenn will be featured, it will not be simple remakes

To me, the less likely possibility is that Gamefreak goes ahead and milks the Hoenn-nostalgia cow, with either a RSE-sequel or a RSE deeper retelling.

The much more likely possibility seems to be Generation VI, because it makes much more sense to start the new technical generation with, and because we will know at least one new pokemon half a year before it can possibly be released, which won't be featured in a RSE-whatever game...

I'm sure it won't be another "fresh start" like RSE or BW, it will not drop another ~150-bomb. So new places, new pokemon, new plot, new legends are all a given.
It will either be an expansion (like Johto was to Kanto):
-for Unova
introducing new starters, new evolutionary stages for mostly if not exclusively Unova-Pokemon, along with a handful of casual Pokemon lines,
maybe more Plasma or a new group lead by any of the sages,
its own legendaries, perhaps a better glimpse at the original dragon for the post-game
-for Hoenn
which would be a much more elegant way of bringing Hoenn back to live than some simple cash-milking copy&paste remakes. Hoenn could be a post-game visit much like Kanto in GS, or most of it could be part of the main plot (similar to how BW2 explored a bigger Unova).
The starters could be new or the good old RSE ones (which IMO would be quite smart, since the Fire type for example could have more new casual Fire Pokemon instead of consisting mostly of starters LOL), there would obviously have to be new main legendaries, but related to the Hoenn ones. One wild idea would be 2 behemoths employing the other 2 weather effects (which both happen to be hazardous), Hail and Sandstorm, much like Groudon and Kyogre.
It would be taking place more than a decade after the events of RSE obviously, so there could tons of old faces, any younger relatives and kids for us to meet along the way and plenty other nostalgia elements.
-in general (like Sinnoh did)
simply a huge new region, but a unique mix of old pokemon with some new, plenty new stages, a big plot etc.

All 3 seem very plausible and interesting. But the 2nd would get rid of the need for RSE remakes and remakes in general.

The next thing to look forward to, is clues about the next movies star when the title will be revealed in December.
Then the star itself, a new pokemon, should be revealed around February.
And announcements of the next games at any point after that depending on how much longer it will take them to finish.

How do you know that the Groudon and Kyogre distribution in Japan isn't just to throw people off? What if the remakes are really coming? Which would makes sense why Meloetta and Genesect debuted the same year as Keldeo. As for the Groudon and Kyogre distribution, it's being distributed at Pokemon Centers and various other locations. And, Pokemon Center events are rarely distributed outside Japan. About the Genesect Movie, like Giratina, Shaymin, Rotom, Kyurem, and Keldeo, how do we know that Genesect won't get an entire new form? Or at least a special new move, like with Victini. And, yes Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latios, and Latias are all available between B2W2, but Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos, were obtainable in Platinum. And that didn't stop them from being obtainable in HGSS. Every Pokemon, TPC, TPCi, and Nintendo makes obtainable in a single generation without transferring from past generation games. There's still a lot to make obtainable. Everyone can say what they wanna say, but I'm not giving up hope!

NachoMan said:
How do you know that the Groudon and Kyogre distribution in Japan isn't just to throw people off? What if the remakes are really coming?
As for the Groudon and Kyogre distribution, it's being distributed at Pokemon Centers and various other locations. And, Pokemon Center events are rarely distributed outside Japan

I really doubt they'd give them out then. There could even probably be wifi downloads or somthing giving them out for the NA release anniversary.

NachoMan said:
Which would makes sense why Meloetta and Genesect debuted the same year as Keldeo.

I don't see what you mean.

NachoMan said:
About the Genesect Movie, like Giratina, Shaymin, Rotom, Kyurem, and Keldeo, how do we know that Genesect won't get an entire new form? Or at least a special new move, like with Victini.

Then why reveal it already?
I mean sure it could very well get new formes, but there is still gonna be a more important pokemon for the movie. We always know of one star legendary much longer and then get to see the real star in this december-february part, closer to the movie, after the title is revealed.

We knew of Kyurem, it then got new formes too, but then we also got Keldeo and even that got a forme.

NachoMan said:
And, yes Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latios, and Latias are all available between B2W2, but Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos, were obtainable in Platinum. And that didn't stop them from being obtainable in HGSS.

Of course not. You know which ones they did watch out not to include? Lugia and Ho-oh.

NachoMan said:
Every Pokemon, TPC, TPCi, and Nintendo makes obtainable in a single generation without transferring from past generation games. There's still a lot to make obtainable. Everyone can say what they wanna say, but I'm not giving up hope!

Gen V is kind of fishy to sort into this though, because it was too short to even get the chance to rerelease...anything.
Are you sayingthere is a chance they might rush with DS RS remake and have starters 1-4 in it?

Then the anniversary would have been the best and most appropriate occasion to announce them ever.

You can of course ignore any and all reason and info, but that won't make it more likely.

I do agree that the generation is being rushed, especially with Genesect being released extremely early! But I disagree a bit with the 3DS part, when the Nintendo DS was released in 2004, all we got were side games until 2007! (Which seems like what Gamefreak doing with the 3DS) As with the RSE remakes, it's hard to tell. They feature the Hoenn gym leaders in B2/W2, they're distributing the main mascots of R/S (Which is what the remakes would most likely based on). Overall, they might put in some Gen 6 Pokemon (like they did with Pokemon Heroes, Manaphy Temple of the Sea, etc.), Hoenn remakes are possible yet, very unsure, and Gen 6 will probably be on the 3DS in a year or two.

AquaticWartortle said:
I do agree that the generation is being rushed, especially with Genesect being released extremely early! But I disagree a bit with the 3DS part, when the Nintendo DS was released in 2004, all we got were side games until 2007!
Nintendo DS - November 2004
Pokemon DP - September 2006
= 22 months

Nintendo 3DS - February 2011
6th gen games - Probably Fall 2013 (let''s say September)
= 31 months

AquaticWartortle said:
I do agree that the generation is being rushed, especially with Genesect being released extremely early! But I disagree a bit with the 3DS part, when the Nintendo DS was released in 2004, all we got were side games until 2007!

What are you talking about? The DS came out a year after Firered/Leafgreen and 3 months after Emerald.

But here we have, not just BW milking DS' success, but the unavoidable sequels dragged it way over.
And as WPM said, they were one of the first to recieve the devkits for 3DS.. surely they have looked at it over the past 3 years no?

There is no way on earth they would not make the next games for 3DS.

I mean, don't you think a popular franchise like Pokemon should actually be promoting nintendos current 2 year old handheld? lol
Its a no brainer to me.

Urgh, when I first saw that post, I thought it was going to be more than speculation. I'm disappointed.

I really don't think the next generation is that close. If they decide they need to fill the gap between now and the next gen, they can and quite possibly will do a Ruby/Sapphire remake. Along those lines, I also expect a Kyogre/Groudon movie, rather than something with a new Pokemon. There is no rule stating they have to have a new Pokemon, written or unwritten. Also, given both Kyogre and Groudon haven't had more than cameos (Groudon hasn't even really had that) in movies, it makes a lot of sense. Aside from Ho-Oh, I think they're the ONLY remaining "ingame ubers" not to have had a major role in a movie. (Ingame ubers being the non-event Pokemon banned from the Battle facilities.) I think 2013 will be a year of semi-important games rather than the start of the next generation. (I expect a new Ranger game and quite possibly a Wii/Wii U game, as well as a possible R/S remake.)

I just hope that in the event a Generation 6 occurs, older Pokemon (possibly with a few Event Pokemon exceptions, in a method similar to the Relocator) aren't importable. It's kind of ridiculous that Pokemon from Gen 3 are still usable despite GBA support having been dropped years ago. I could almost see them starting Gen 6 with a GSC/HGSS-style Ruby/Sapphire sequel with a new region alongside it as an excuse to do this. Almost.

btw Kyogre was in the manaphy/ranger movie, adn rayquaza in the deoxys one.
Basically due to the technical changeover happening faster than the new generation... I look at BW/BW2 as the generation that is filling just the gap you are talking about.
Without them there would have been a gap, now gen 6 is overdue.

Id love if they used some interesting concept (sequels for example) to reuse Hoenn, or make new games located next to Hoenn like Kanto-Johto... and use that as playing ground for 3DS hardware so the main 6th gen games would look even better ;D

But either way, we get to see something NEW soon.

rocky505 said:
We still need a 5th gen console game before 6th gen IMO.

Now that sounds like something remotely realistic.
Havent thought of that o.o

But theres WiiU now.
Imagine if they announced a WiiU Pokémon game that has some fun social aspects, and offers stuff for competitive battlers, a breeding center, a battle frontier O:, move tutors and everything. Some fancy way of obtaining all starters with dreamworld abilities and other ones that arent out yet.

omg.

Mitja said:
AquaticWartortle said:

What are you talking about? The DS came out a year after Firered/Leafgreen and 3 months after Emerald.

But here we have, not just BW milking DS' success, but the unavoidable sequels dragged it way over.
And as WPM said, they were one of the first to recieve the devkits for 3DS.. surely they have looked at it over the past 3 years no?

There is no way on earth they would not make the next games for 3DS.

I mean, don't you think a popular franchise like Pokemon should actually be promoting nintendos current 2 year old handheld? lol
Its a no brainer to me.

technically you can consider these games dsi games, not ds lite :p

also there's a flaw in your argument, the 1st gen lasted from 1996-1999 (4 years) the 2nd gen lasted from 2000-2002 (3 years) the 3rd gen lasted from 2003-2006 (4 years) the 4th gen lasted from 2006-2010 (5 years) and you're trying to convince us that for the first time ever we're going to have a generation that only lasts 2 years? in a couple weeks I could very well be proven wrong, but I think we'll get a R/S remake to drag out the generation another year (at least until the genesect movie is out) then maybe next December we'll get some news of the 6th gen (or maybe they can release them around the same time, say R/S remakes in July, then 6th gen games and mystery dungeon later in the same year...)

we're all really just guessing here, no one has any real facts to back up their statement so my guess is just as good as yours. Yes Genesect and melotta were rushed, does that mean the generation is being rushed? imho it doesn't mean anything other than another crazy day over at game freak.

Nice reasoning,might not be the 100% right place but in the new BW8 ad,Castelia City is frozen over.Imagine if they decide to do BW3.

Back