“Wild Force” and “Cyber Judge” Sets Officially Revealed, Feature Return of ACE SPEC Cards!

Prime Catcher is really strong and good enough to see use over Computer Search and Dowsing Machine in Expanded decks (with Scoop Up Cyclone, Scramble Switch, and Life Dew having their uses too).

Neo Upper Energy on the other hand... super underpowered for an ace spec, even in Standard where there is only 1 alternative that we know of. Even control decks with 4 Counter Catcher and thus less need for Prime Catcher struggle to utilize it, since it only works on stage 2's. It seems like it'd be better as a Prism Star style of card if those came back, or at least it should have worked on any evolution Pokemon or provided 3 rainbow energy on a stage 2.

I am glad that the first reveals weren't just a reprint of Computer Search, as while a lot of newer Expanded players would love a reprint, it would be a bit boring for the first revealed ace specs of this generation.

It's ya boy, Guzma.

The amount of damage and chaos Guzman's about to cause as a mere ITEM CARD cannot be understated. The meta is about to be MAJORLY SCREWED.

From what I can see with the two booster pack designs, we can definitely confirm that all six of them will be Pokémon ex.

So alongside Koraidon and Miraidon, the two trios on the booster packs are also guaranteed to be a Pokémon ex. Meaning that so far, we are guaranteed at least eight Pokémon ex in the fifth SV Set.

I think it's great we're getting a fast turnaround for Pokemon to get into the TCG - hope this happens more often.

I predicted Special Energy Ace Specs...yay I guess. It does look very mediocre, though - just not good enough to be an Ace Spec. Maybe if it was for any Evolution Pokemon and not just Stage 2s, it would be more understandable.

The Prime Catcher is more in line with the expected power level of Ace Specs. I think it being an Ace Spec will keep it from breaking the game, but yeah, obviously it is crazy strong.

The visuals of the new Ace Specs...idk how to feel, the hot pink is kinda cute but also pretty eye-burning and garish, and also just feels like a pretty random color choice.

So alongside Koraidon and Miraidon, the two trios on the booster packs are also guaranteed to be a Pokémon ex. Meaning that so far, we are guaranteed at least eight Pokémon ex in the fifth SV Set.
Why is it guaranteed? Groudon was on the Roaring Surf booster pack, but is not a Pokemon ex in that set. I kind of hope they aren't all Pokemon ex, tbh; seems a little predictable and boring. Better to do what they did with Paradox Rift and make some of the exciting new Pokemon be normal, but good (or potentially good). I hope some of the Pokemon ex in this set are instead interesting Teras (I predict they don't want to make a Pokemon's first appearance in the TCG a Tera of a different type, so if all the new Pokemon are exes, there won't be much if any room for interesting Tera exes).

The most exciting news is the introduction of the new H block. Keeping my eyes peeled if they decide to revert the powercreep and not print any ridiculous acceleration.
They can if they want, but this sounds unnecessary to me. The current format is fun and varied. All I'm really hoping for is for a bit more of the power creep to be channeled into normal non-ex Pokemon.

Neo Upper Energy just isn't good to be honest. At least in what is in the current format, and I'm sure it will change, the only Stage 2's in the meta are Charizard ex and Gardevoir ex, both of which can easily accelerate energy to itself. It might be good in off-meta decks, but nothing that would make a big run in a major tournament.

Prime Catcher is showing another way to make gust effects balanced outside of supporters, and as someone who loves gust effects, until we see what else we get as far as ace specs go, this is the one most, if not, all decks should play.
The whole point is to move the meta.

The game maker tries to shift the meta, the game players either strengthen the meta or find new meta

This card may not shift the meta, but assuming it's bad because the only stage 2 in the current meta already energy accelerate overlooks the purpose of introducing new cards with new or changed mechanics to the game

The current format is fun and varied.
lol
All I'm really hoping for is for a bit more of the power creep to be channeled into normal non-ex Pokemon.
The current non-exes are regularly printed with attacks that hit way above their own max HP. There is no point in investing resources into something that'll get KO'd from any attack, so the amount of powercreep they'd have to experience is like doing 250 for 2. On a Basic.
Or look at small Gardevoir, it's used to do 240+ for zero. That's not a healthy way to design a card.

Care to explain your position instead of just being snarky? There are quite a few viable decks in the current meta. Fun is subjective, but the current format involves plenty of interesting decision-making and a good amount of comeback mechanics.

The current non-exes are regularly printed with attacks that hit way above their own max HP. There is no point in investing resources into something that'll get KO'd from any attack, so the amount of powercreep they'd have to experience is like doing 250 for 2. On a Basic.
Or look at small Gardevoir, it's used to do 240+ for zero. That's not a healthy way to design a card.
I don't think CRE Gardevoir is a poorly designed card at all. The Gardevoir ex deck in general is really cool - lots of different attackers and complex decision making. It certainly awards skillful play. If the format is fun, varied, and involves significant skill expression, I don't think there's an inherent problem with non-exes hitting above their max HP or whatever.

Prime Catcher is really strong and good enough to see use over Computer Search and Dowsing Machine in Expanded decks (with Scoop Up Cyclone, Scramble Switch, and Life Dew having their uses too).

Neo Upper Energy on the other hand... super underpowered for an ace spec, even in Standard where there is only 1 alternative that we know of. Even control decks with 4 Counter Catcher and thus less need for Prime Catcher struggle to utilize it, since it only works on stage 2's. It seems like it'd be better as a Prism Star style of card if those came back, or at least it should have worked on any evolution Pokemon or provided 3 rainbow energy on a stage 2.

I am glad that the first reveals weren't just a reprint of Computer Search, as while a lot of newer Expanded players would love a reprint, it would be a bit boring for the first revealed ace specs of this generation.
It's rather odd, given the restrictions on it, especially those you can't see.

First of all, it's a special energy, basically unsearchable. This isn't too bad, but then, you get restrictions on a card that's already highly restrictive for what it is.

If you ask me, TPCi is testing the waters with it. To strengthen stage 2 decks, without being overbearing. Despite there being a card or 2 I know of that have just two energy requirements as stage 2 Pokémon.

But I'd love to know what they were thinking with this choice. Since we know that Prime Catcher just blows Neo Upper Energy out of the water. Outside of cynical arguments, I can't quite grasp this decision.

Last edited:
Care to explain your position instead of just being snarky? There are quite a few viable decks in the current meta. Fun is subjective, but the current format involves plenty of interesting decision-making and a good amount of comeback mechanics.
It just feels useless to repeat the same mantra over and over again. The format is centered around a few extremely broken cards that give decks instant access to every resource (or a collection of these cards, such is the case with Miriadon). Their plans are extremely similar, which is to get their set-up and power up their beatstick of choice. Ironically, since these decks are so ridiculously fast and consistent, whiffing even a piece of your set-up results in a complete one-sided wipeout, which happened in multiple finals of high-profile tournaments.
I don't think CRE Gardevoir is a poorly designed card at all. The Gardevoir ex deck in general is really cool - lots of different attackers and complex decision making. It certainly awards skillful play. If the format is fun, varied, and involves significant skill expression, I don't think there's an inherent problem with non-exes hitting above their max HP or whatever.
I don't think it's specifically the "fault" of small Gardevoir, but rather its toxic interaction with Gardevoir ex giving you infinite free energy. The point still stands - to be a successful single-prizer, you need to feature some kind of gimmick or glasscannon free attacks. The design space couldn't be any smaller without eliminating that 90% of printed cards from the game completely.
I don't consider anything that happens in the current format "skillful", especially when it doesn't even interact with the other player and is limited to deciding how to solitaire your broken engine cards to get the result you need.

Back