Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
So assuming
A) the set only has Pokemon in the Paldea Dex (I think SWSH 1a only had Galar Dex Pokemon)
B) they're doing the 2 evolving basics for every new debut
C) they don't repeat Pokemon from the base set
That should be either the Nymble, Rellor, or Bramblin line between Meowscarada and the Fire Tauros.

No room for a Charcadet so still no Ceruledge.

LightYearLiam

Am still waiting to kick Lugia Vstar from standards, just rotate already good damn
Though it will take a long time for Lugia VSTAR itself to rotate, once the D block rotates out, the Lugia deck will become much weaker due to so much Special Energy going away. Maybe you already knew that and that's what you're referring to, I'm not sure.

Reactions: Bid

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Though it will take a long time for Lugia VSTAR itself to rotate, once the D block rotates out, the Lugia deck will become much weaker due to so much Special Energy going away. Maybe you already knew that and that's what you're referring to, I'm not sure.
This is a good and a bad thing;
Lugia no longer gets powerful energy. Now its damage cap is 250 (WHICH IS STILL TOO MUCH IN ANY SITUATION).
Neither does anything else that could potentially be good, like Regigigas VSTAR.

i don't really like that trade >:T

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Pretty interesting so far although the starter exes are a bit mid sans Meowscarada ex, which I think may have potential thanks to Fire types not being popular in the current format.

The Trainers are eh, some look good on paper but we’ll have to wait until March and beyond to see if they see play. One card I’m happy to see reprinted is Superior Energy Retrieval, I loved that card back in the late BW-era and early-XY era and I hope it sees some use in Standard (IIRC it does see some use in Expanded). I guess we’ll have to wait for Lugia V/VSTAR and Archeops to rotate before we get cards like Special Charge.

I do like that Luminous Energy has that “If this Pokémon has any other Special Energy attached to it, this card provides 1 [C] Energy“ clause, it prevents Special-heavy decks from abusing it whilst providing some assistance to one-of attackers or Pokemon with odd Energy requirements like Dragon types.
Lugia no longer gets powerful energy. Now its damage cap is 250 (WHICH IS STILL TOO MUCH IN ANY SITUATION).
Neither does anything else that could potentially be good, like Regigigas VSTAR.

The problem with Lugia VSTAR isn’t that it gets a damage boost via Powerful [C] Energy, it’s that it has access to an Ability that bypasses the standard evolution rules and allows players to set up one of the more busted Energy Accelerators in the game in the form of Primal Turbo Archeops. If you put in a clause that only allowed Summoning Star to pull out Basic [C] Pokémon or excluded Stage 2s from being affected by it then Lugia VSTAR wouldn’t see a lot of play.

But the big issue that’s been affecting the TCG as of late is that aren’t many ways to counteract or punish decks that rely on Energy acceleration. It was something that I’d hope Creatures Inc. would address in Scarlet ex and Violet ex but sadly it’s something that didn’t seem to come to fruition thanks to Gardevoir ex (and to a certain extent Koraidon ex).

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Pretty interesting so far although the starter exes are a bit mid sans Meowscarada ex, which I think may have potential thanks to Fire types not being popular in the current format.

The Trainers are eh, some look good on paper but we’ll have to wait until March and beyond to see if they see play. One card I’m happy to see reprinted is Superior Energy Retrieval, I loved that card back in the late BW-era and early-XY era and I hope it sees some use in Standard (IIRC it does see some use in Expanded). I guess we’ll have to wait for Lugia V/VSTAR and Archeops to rotate before we get cards like Special Charge.

I do like that Luminous Energy has that “If this Pokémon has any other Special Energy attached to it, this card provides 1 [C] Energy“ clause, it prevents Special-heavy decks from abusing it whilst providing some assistance to one-of attackers or Pokemon with odd Energy requirements like Dragon types.

The problem with Lugia VSTAR isn’t that it gets a damage boost via Powerful [C] Energy, it’s that it has access to an Ability that bypasses the standard evolution rules and allows players to set up one of the more busted Energy Accelerators in the game in the form of Primal Turbo Archeops. If you put in a clause that only allowed Summoning Star to pull out Basic [C] Pokémon or excluded Stage 2s from being affected by it then Lugia VSTAR wouldn’t see a lot of play.

But the big issue that’s been affecting the TCG as of late is that aren’t many ways to counteract or punish decks that rely on Energy acceleration. It was something that I’d hope Creatures Inc. would address in Scarlet ex and Violet ex but sadly it’s something that didn’t seem to come to fruition thanks to Gardevoir ex (and to a certain extent Koraidon ex).
No offense but I feel like it just goes without saying that everything about Lugia is too good. I shouldn't have to say that, we all know it.

DrifBoi

child kidnapping balloon
So assuming
A) the set only has Pokemon in the Paldea Dex (I think SWSH 1a only had Galar Dex Pokemon)
B) they're doing the 2 evolving basics for every new debut
C) they don't repeat Pokemon from the base set
That should be either the Nymble, Rellor, or Bramblin line between Meowscarada and the Fire Tauros.

No room for a Charcadet so still no Ceruledge.
they could put nymble and rellor in [G] and put lokix and rabsca in [D] and [P] respectively, which leaves just enough space for charcadet and ceruledge.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.

Let’s say you were to chat with a player from Japan and complain about the fact that there is no Powerful [C] Energy at home. The player would look surprised and say, “but we already have Powerful [C] Energy at home!” What, may you ask, is this magical “Powerful [C] Energy at home?”
8C30EF58-7FBE-4894-9D38-A70B33568EBB.pngF28385CC-8367-4C8F-8926-D2627ABA15FC.png
I like how Lugia Archeops can no longer abuse the One-Hit-KO, so it now has to subcontract its job to Tyranitar V and Single Strike Energy. Yes, Lugia Archeops has essentially become the replacement for Houndoom. Single Strike synergy seems to be the most popular partner for this archetype in Japan right now, according to this article on pokemoncard.io. https://pokemoncard.io/article/weekly-japanese-tournament-result-week-4-710#mcetoc_1gnufs9g2a8dg
That being said, Fusion Strike Meloette, Singlerapidfusionstrike Deoxys, and Union Strike Maushold are also appearing. Other popular Single Strike partners include Umbreon VMAX, Urshifu VMAX, and Stonjourner, with honorable mentions including Golurk V and Entei.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
they could put nymble and rellor in [G] and put lokix and rabsca in [D] and [P] respectively, which leaves just enough space for charcadet and ceruledge.
Charcadet would have been between Skeledirge ex (20) and the Water Paldean Tauros (21), so no room for Charcadet (and by extension Ceruledge)

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
despite the fact that 5ban Graphics did them.
I've talked about this before but it's ridiculous that when Creatures did the Pokémon models for Pokédex 3D and 3D Pro, everyone loved them, but for some reason when they use these same/similar models for the card game they themselves create and manage, they are constantly shit on.

LightYearLiam

I've talked about this before but it's ridiculous that when Creatures did the Pokémon models for Pokédex 3D and 3D Pro, everyone loved them, but for some reason when they use these same/similar models for the card game they themselves create and manage, they are constantly shit on.
I've never used Pokédex 3D and 3D Pro, so I don't have an opinion on them...

The thing that's disappointing about 5ban Graphics is really just the fact that there are so many talented artists for the TCG, including CG artists, that outshine 5ban's work, yet 5ban keep getting used for important cards such as VMAXes, VSTARs, and exes. I don't hate 5ban myself and I even complimented their work here.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Hating on 5ban is common but all of the CGI artists are the same shade of meh to me. How do people even distinguish one from the other without looking at the artist credit?

efwolverine

Aspiring Trainer
Don’t worry. You’ll get your Clodsire. They’ve already revealed a lot of exciting cards in this set… the Paldean starter ex’s, the Paldean starter forms, the first special energy card of the era, and about half the trainers in the set. They’re not going to reveal a fan-favorite on top of all that. They’re going to want to save Clodsire for a later reveal.
Of course, it might still take a few sets to get Clodsire. I get how hard it can be to wait for your favorite Pokémon of an era to get its first card. Hisuian Sliggoo took seven months after the release of Legends: Arceus to get printed internationally, and I’m probably going to have to wait a while for Slither Wing’s first print. If tradition holds, we’ll get Clodsire by the end of the year. Not so sure about the paradox Pokémon.

I'm excited to see how the SV sets handle the Paradox Pokemon. Will we get one set themed around the ancient Pokemon, followed by one themed around the futures, or will they be mashed together somehow?

What will the inevitable Area Zero stadium card do???

The Blast Boys

Aspiring Trainer
Is there a chance this subset makes its way into our S&V base set considering the full list hasn't been revealed yet?

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Is there a chance this subset makes its way into our S&V base set considering the full list hasn't been revealed yet?
Absolutely not, we already know the number of cards in S&V base set, and it adds up with the Scarlet/Violet sets alongside the Starter Decks. There are a few unknowns, for example which of the 14 ex cards will be cut down to 12, but there definitely won't be Triplet Beat cards in S&V base

The Blast Boys

Aspiring Trainer
Absolutely not, we already know the number of cards in S&V base set, and it adds up with the Scarlet/Violet sets alongside the Starter Decks. There are a few unknowns, for example which of the 14 ex cards will be cut down to 12, but there definitely won't be Triplet Beat cards in S&V base
Sad! I want all this single prize support in format yesterday

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
The 2 Quaquaval have amazing synergy,

skeledirge is meh, on top of The first attack, oricorio, and rad tsareena how much healing and switch cards will you have to run in that deck.

meowscarada has the most potential of the 3, fantastic ability, colorless attack cost, im gonna try to fit it in my lilligant deck, but you put it in anything really. 2 retreat cost is way too steep though for a pokemon with such a high speed stat.

My fear is that even though Meowscarada does seem to be good enough in a vacuum, what really makes a card truly viable is its surrounding support. Gardevoir is good in a vacuum, sure, but it also evolves from cinccino Kirlia, has Gallade and single prize Gardevoir as options, Fog Crystal...Lightning has Miraidon, Flaffy, the new item... I don't know, Meowscarada seems good, but is it good enough without that kind of support? Is Gardenia's Vigor enough? I really hope we see some truly strong Grass stuff on this era, when was the last time it was actually like the best thing you could do? Back when Forest was legal? (I don't remember if Leafeon Vmax was ever tier 1 at any point)

Elliot Gale

Aspiring Trainer
It's kinda been lowkey up until this point, but Hisuian Lilligant VStar is the glue for any potentially viable grass deck. It'll help get your Meowscaradas set up and fuel them at the same time. At the very least, it's a deck I want to try out before dismissing.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
It's kinda been lowkey up until this point, but Hisuian Lilligant VStar is the glue for any potentially viable grass deck. It'll help get your Meowscaradas set up and fuel them at the same time. At the very least, it's a deck I want to try out before dismissing.

God, I completely forgot that card existed. You're 100% right, if any grass deck works in the upcoming format, it'll be in great part because of Lilligant. My only concern is that as an evolution itself, it's not really a setup monster for that critical turn one, like Miraidon for instance, that can come down turn one and immediately set your basics up. With Lilligant you have to have had a solid turn one, managing to put at least 2 basics other than the basic Lilligant itself on the field, so you can turn 2 use the Vstar's ability and start evolving everything. I'm afraid it'll be too swingy, and your deck's performance will vary greatly depending on whether you have that sweet turn one or not. Then again, one could argue that this is true for any setup heavy, evolution based deck, but the point is the other decks that are like this still seem to have better setup tools at their disposal.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
God, I completely forgot that card existed. You're 100% right, if any grass deck works in the upcoming format, it'll be in great part because of Lilligant. My only concern is that as an evolution itself, it's not really a setup monster for that critical turn one, like Miraidon for instance, that can come down turn one and immediately set your basics up. With Lilligant you have to have had a solid turn one, managing to put at least 2 basics other than the basic Lilligant itself on the field, so you can turn 2 use the Vstar's ability and start evolving everything. I'm afraid it'll be too swingy, and your deck's performance will vary greatly depending on whether you have that sweet turn one or not. Then again, one could argue that this is true for any setup heavy, evolution based deck, but the point is the other decks that are like this still seem to have better setup tools at their disposal.
You also have Leafeon V, which allows you to turbo an Energy into play on turn 1. It can also evolve into Leafeon VSTAR, but that card is less of an essential and more of a tech. It could be situationally useful if you want to play Boss/Serena and, say, Gardenia, on the same turn, but given the fact you need a way to search it out (and searching out Evolution Pokémon isn’t as cheap as it used to be when the best options require two hand discards or a 50% chance at searching out a basic instead), most players would opt to leave it out. (Of course, you can also search it out with Hisuian Lilligant VSTAR’s power.) One incentive to run a wider range of Gust effects is the possibility of pinging a benched Pokémon ex or V, then dragging it out and taking an easy two prizes. This would leave your opponent’s active Pokémon untouched and able to take a revenge KO, however. The irony is, given the size of these “stage 2 blimps” (as one Pokébeach member whose name I can’t remember most aptly named them), some opponents might respond to this strategy in like kind, gusting up a benched Hisuian Lilligant VSTAR or Leafeon V to take the same number of prizes on a more manageable target. Or perhaps they would ignore the two-prizers completely and target them evolving basics and stage 1’s.
I also realized you could use Cherrim to accelerate Energy onto a Floragato before evolving it into Meowscarada ex, but then you’re running another evolution line, and you still need to have the Energy in hand. I’m guessing Cherrim variants, if viable, could dispense with Leafeon V/VSTAR, but they would probably be a little slower, since you’d have to set up multiple evolution lines before things started to move quickly, instead of having an Active Meowscarada ex with two energy and a benched Sprigatito or Floragato with one Energy already attached.

Last edited: