“Temporal Forces” Has Hardest Pull Rates of Scarlet & Violet Sets for Highest Rarities

Thanks for nothing to all the investment bros on reddit who whined about how it was "too easy" to get the good pulls in last year's sets.

Doesn't help that TCGPlayer sellers have been up to their old nonsense to inflate Iron Leaves, Raging Bolt and Walking Wake's SIRs this weekend.
I'm a seller on TCGPlayer and I felt like an idiot when I sold a SIR from the last set on release day just for the price to increase days later. Do you know what they are doing to inflate prices?

I'm a seller on TCGPlayer and I felt like an idiot when I sold a SIR from the last set on release day just for the price to increase days later. Do you know what they are doing to inflate prices?

Read my post. The one you're responding to is a popular conspiracy theory that doesn't make any sense.

Sellers can list a card at whatever price they want, and then use alternate accounts to buy them up. Iron Leaves SIR is noticeably guilty of this - if you look at sales over the weekend, most of them were in the $50-60 range, and then suddenly one sold for nearly $250 and a couple more $150 each. Then suddenly TCGplayer's nebulous "market price" is affected and everyone is rushing to buyout/unload a popular card. It's mostly corrected itself now, and it's only the first weekend of the set being widely available, but it's still irritating. Like the secondary market has to whip up its own frenzy for a set focused around new, untested Pokemon instead of the old gen 1 standards guaranteed to sell.

Back then, you had 16 holofoils out of a 102 card set, you would pull a good chunk out of a box. The set sizes are bigger, and post numbered cards are over 40 or so nowadays? And you get what... maybe 6 out of a box at the best odds, that means an entire case can't even complete a set, which is lunacy. You act like what I want is fantasy? Of course it is. This is a huge entity that for the most part genuinely could care less. But that doesn't mean I can't voice that this is what I would like to see that would personally draw me back from "oh ill just buy singles" to "ill buy the product and try myself again".

You said: TPCI should focus more on selling product rather than making it an investment (even if they don't aim to do that, they could entirely do so far the former).

They have been having record sales for the past few years and their general sales volume has been increasing for years when the sets have got harder and harder to complete. So, to them there is no correlation between harder to complete sets and declining sales.

TPCI also DGAF about Reddit investments. 'Investments' only started being talked about by idiots during the pandemic, when TPCI (which BTW are reliant on TPC creating the sets) had already had 3 years of SM and 1.5 years of SWSH under their belts. They didn't intentionally change pull rates to cater to investors.

Sellers can list a card at whatever price they want, and then use alternate accounts to buy them up. Iron Leaves SIR is noticeably guilty of this - if you look at sales over the weekend, most of them were in the $50-60 range, and then suddenly one sold for nearly $250 and a couple more $150 each. Then suddenly TCGplayer's nebulous "market price" is affected and everyone is rushing to buyout/unload a popular card. It's mostly corrected itself now, and it's only the first weekend of the set being widely available, but it's still irritating. Like the secondary market has to whip up its own frenzy for a set focused around new, untested Pokemon instead of the old gen 1 standards guaranteed to sell.

They don't have to actually buy anything unless you believe that Pineco common cards can be sold for $199.99. Most likely it is a gap in the programming where someone can 'buy' it and not pay for/cancel it, but the trigger for adjusting the market price has already happened. There is no code to reverse this either, which is why you can still see massive swings in the historical chart even when the obvious sale is deleted.

As long as the minimum playable rarity is at an acceptable rate, they can inflate the special ones as high as they want. 1/20 chance for Ace Specs is painful though, was Radiant Pokemon this rare too?

This just sucks. It may be fine for people that have infinite money to burn on Pokémon, but there are so many more with limited budget that are put off by the change. And not everyone lives in a rich country. Most people where I live do not even make 4 digits per month. And gues what, cards cost exactly the same as in the rest of Europe and more than in US, as we do not get the discounts very often. Being on a budget and just opening bulk most of the time sucks.
On the other hand, with shenanigans like this, physical TCGs in general should be obliged to disclose odds, similar to lootboxes and digital TCGs. Then everyone would know what to expect and there would be less drama over all. Booster packs are pretty much same as lootboxes, just with physical product, so why not treat them the same?

Well that's worrying, I really hate it when TPCi tweaks the pull rates for the worst.

That said I bought a box of Temporal Forces before the set actually dropped and I ended up pulling 1 SIR (Iron Crown ex) three FAs (Explorer's Guidance, Salvatore, and Iron Crown ex), two ACE SPECs (Neo Upper Energy and Awakening Drum), 7 regular exs (Farigaraf, Gouging Fire, Torterra, Scizor, Raging Bolt, Scovillain, and Iron Crown), and two IRs (Sawsbuck and Excadrill) from it. With this knowledge I'll probably stick to buying singles unless I can save up for a case.
You're only half right. If you check the sales history, it is legit that people are buying the card. They just bought it at a faster rate than it was being listed, hence it results in no copies being available. You act as though that can never happen.

Where the dodgy stuff comes in, is after all copies are gone. Of course a seller can set any price, but there is a registered sale for $247.99. No one is that stupid. But it seems to be really easy to fake sales on TCGPlayer. Evidence being of the multiple times I've seen bulk cards costing cents have sales in the $100s of dollars. Those get reported and taken down eventually because it's easy to tell, but for rarer cards, how do you 'prove'?

There is a flaw in their programming that allows these non-sales to be reflected into the market price without the sale actually going through. Of course they are not transparent and have no incentive to fix it given that higher prices equal higher commission.

Pokebeach or Rattle, if he's not been sued to closure, should investigate it. Would be a big story considering TCGPlayer is the default site for TCG sales.
That's honestly why I hate it when people use TCGPlayer as a price guide of sorts and I've been skivvy on buying from them, shill purchases seem to be pretty common there and while they'll delete them from an item's sales history they don't punish sellers or buyers from doing it AFAIK.

And if you ask me, eBay buying TCGPlayer only made the problem worse despite the former actually penalizing buyers and sellers for taking part in shill bidding/sales.
As long as the minimum playable rarity is at an acceptable rate, they can inflate the special ones as high as they want. 1/20 chance for Ace Specs is painful though, was Radiant Pokemon this rare too?
IIRC Radiant Rares had a pull rate of 2-3 per box.

I don't really see why this some people think this is bad, all the way through swsh we had cards that were 1/1000+ to pull, and alt art were roughly 1/80, yes we got very lucky with crown zenith, but if there 70+ rare cards and they have a super annoying pull rate it wouldn't have been a good set. Even if you don't have too much money to spend on Pokémon, you can still get the rare cards, I got the Salvatore SIR and she my gf got the Bianca SIR and we have opened 13 packs between us, it's just luck, and as long as the playable cards are easy to get, then the nice looking arts should be harder to get. And it really hasn't effected prices to much, and they the prices are already plummeting, so if you don't wanna buy packs to try and get the card you want, spend £20 in a month or two and just buy the chase card of the set.

There is a fine line between having the higher hits too easy to pull and too tough. Myself, I'm in favour of the hits being a little tougher to pull. I don't want to spend $100 on a box in the hopes that the top chase card is $40. Why do people keep ripping and chasing Evovling Skies, because the hope to pull one of the really valuable cards like the Moonbreon. I think the top chase cards should be something speical and not given away. I know I'm in the minority though
I’m the opposite. I be er buy booster boxes cause they are stupid. Why should I spent so much money knowing there will be only 1-2 SIR. They are just not fun, just booster ripping. The only reason I see on people not wanting cards to be more accessible is for them feeling superior to others for having a “rare” card. It’s just stupid. I think 10-20 $ for any card is already expensive and cards should not exceed that.

Personally, I would like to see a paradigm shift from TPCI. I wanna see an EX per pack, I wanna see at least 10 illustration rares and special illustration rares per box, if not more. I want to be able to collect the cards I want, whilst having spares to sell or trade to actual players. I would love to be able to do this myself from opening packs; however, I stopped doing that. Boxes costs a lot, and I mean a LOT. You can't complete a set if that is your goal, even with an entire case.

TPCI should focus more on selling product rather than making it an investment (even if they don't aim to do that, they could entirely do so far the former).
Most of the Pokémon TCG community can be divided into to halves, or at least is some mixture of the two:
-Competitors
and
-Collectors
—The competitors almost always like to receive more cards and for them to cost less, because they understandably want to play the game for as cheaply as possible.
—The collectors usually want to get some value out of the cards they possess. If they receive more cards that are lower value, it can balance out (e.g. instead of a $100 card they get five $20 ones), but this safer and more distributed ratio does not appeal to human psychology as much as having a massive hit card does. A lot of what appeals to opening booster packs is the potential of having a $100+ card that you could pull. Theoretically, in the scenario where we get more lower value cards in a balanced manner, you could rationalize and point out that you could get excited about a booster box containing 10 $20 cards, but always knowing that a single pack could be epic is often what keeps us going. For that reason, I’m with @netleyhunter:
There is a fine line between having the higher hits too easy to pull and too tough. Myself, I'm in favour of the hits being a little tougher to pull. I don't want to spend $100 on a box in the hopes that the top chase card is $40. Why do people keep ripping and chasing Evovling Skies, because the hope to pull one of the really valuable cards like the Moonbreon. I think the top chase cards should be something speical and not given away. I know I'm in the minority though

Lately, most cards seem to be costing less than they did previously in the TCG, so I’m not against returning to about how things once were. But I do NOT want things to get too rare.

Most of the Pokémon TCG community can be divided into to halves, or at least is some mixture of the two:
-Competitors
and
-Collectors
—The competitors almost always like to receive more cards and for them to cost less, because they understandably want to play the game for as cheaply as possible.
—The collectors usually want to get some value out of the cards they possess. If they receive more cards that are lower value, it can balance out (e.g. instead of a $100 card they get five $20 ones), but this safer and more distributed ratio does not appeal to human psychology as much as having a massive hit card does. A lot of what appeals to opening booster packs is the potential of having a $100+ card that you could pull. Theoretically, in the scenario where we get more lower value cards in a balanced manner, you could rationalize and point out that you could get excited about a booster box containing 10 $20 cards, but always knowing that a single pack could be epic is often what keeps us going. For that reason, I’m with @netleyhunter:

Lately, most cards seem to be costing less than they did previously in the TCG, so I’m not against returning to about how things once were. But I do NOT want things to get too rare.
I’m more of a collector and I’m still against this. People tend to forget the dimensions we live in here. I hate it more to not have a complete set just because one card is in triple digits and is more often than not a Pokémon I don’t even like. Also seeing the kids at local stores spending so much money for mostly getting nothing is insane to me. It’s also pretty likely all of this will crash someday.

TPCI should focus more on selling product rather than making it an investment (even if they don't aim to do that, they could entirely do so far the former).
I'm pretty sure that is literally what they have been doing, buy increasing print production and pushing sets to overwhelm the investor (re: scalper) community.
I don't know what that means or care. Wait, I'm sorry are you upset I used YOUR god's name in vain? Grow up. Lots of people don't believe in your god and you're gonna need to deal with that like a goddamned adult
Dude literally told you to chill and you still get twisted over a lighthearted joke. Sounds like the one who needs to adult better is you.

I'm pretty sure that is literally what they have been doing, buy increasing print production and pushing sets to overwhelm the investor (re: scalper) community.

Dude literally told you to chill and you still get twisted over a lighthearted joke. Sounds like the one who needs to adult better is you.
Jokes are funny hth

You cant fix overly-dramatic men:
1711395443963.png

Oh shoot yeah personally the existence of Ace specs doesnt justify lowering the other pull rates, honestly, that hard. I think is expected then that SV second year will look like this unfortunately

Well that's worrying, I really hate it when TPCi tweaks the pull rates for the worst.

That said I bought a box of Temporal Forces before the set actually dropped and I ended up pulling 1 SIR (Iron Crown ex) three FAs (Explorer's Guidance, Salvatore, and Iron Crown ex), two ACE SPECs (Neo Upper Energy and Awakening Drum), 7 regular exs (Farigaraf, Gouging Fire, Torterra, Scizor, Raging Bolt, Scovillain, and Iron Crown), and two IRs (Sawsbuck and Excadrill) from it. With this knowledge I'll probably stick to buying singles unless I can save up for a case.

That's honestly why I hate it when people use TCGPlayer as a price guide of sorts and I've been skivvy on buying from them, shill purchases seem to be pretty common there and while they'll delete them from an item's sales history they don't punish sellers or buyers from doing it AFAIK.

And if you ask me, eBay buying TCGPlayer only made the problem worse despite the former actually penalizing buyers and sellers for taking part in shill bidding/sales.

IIRC Radiant Rares had a pull rate of 2-3 per box.
Do you use the code cards from the packs?? Are the pull rates the same in TCG Live or not?

Back