“Combined Powers Premium Collection” Revealed for February!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The “Combined Powers Premium Collection” has now been revealed, which we first posted about last month!
As some of our readers surmised, the product will indeed come with the new cards from Pokemon TCG Classic. However, these too will not be tournament legal since they do not have regulation marks.
All of the promo cards in this collection will be holo like in TCG Classic.
It will release February 23rd and retail for $59.99.

Combined-Powers-Premium-Collection-1-155x200.jpg

Combined-Powers-Premium-Collection-2-157x200.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jumbo cards: cool collectible items.

Standard sized cards with no legality mark: proxies.

It’s an official card, folks. It’s not a proxy just because it isn’t tournament legal. A proxy implies a substitute for an actual and tournament legal card during testing. These cards are actual cards that cannot be substituted for anything, unless you print proxies and put them on top of these cards.

Besides Ho-Oh ex’s Phoenix Breath attack and Suicune ex’s Aqua Lift Ability, there aren’t many reasons to run these cards in decks. The tool’s main targets currently are the starters from Pokémon GO, but I doubt they would have made them more playable than they already are. Could these cards have made a splash? Maybe. But we’re probably not missing any top decks that could have been.

In any case, kids who really want to use these cards in their decks for playing with friends and family will easily be able to rationalize doing so if they’re already using whatever cards they, own regardless of year, so the main people who will want to play these cards outside of the context of the Pokémon Card Classic will still do so.

(P.S. It would have been terrifying if the Charcoal could work with Charizard ex.)

So basically, (This card cannot be used in tournaments.) doesn't need to be on any of these cards because the regulation marks or lack thereof already clarifies the legality of any individual card, but they add it in if they can fit it? I've previously entertained very poorly argued and idiotic arguments that the text was necessary for clarifying legality in Expanded format (???) but it's pretty obviously the case that it just doesn't need to be there. Since these cards are clearly intended for collectors one has to wonder why that text is there at all – if you put Expansion Sheet Mr. Mime next to other cards of the era it's always going to stick out because of the copyright position anyways, so why does TPCI feel it needs to add superfluous text that isn't present in the Japanese or Chinese versions? It undermines its appeal as an item for collectors.

BTW, weren't all the cards going to be made available sans the overpriced flourishes of a game board/pieces/etc.? Is that off the table now or will they all be made available piecemeal via smaller products such as this?
It's really really small, but at the bottom of the yellow border for Mr. Mime, just above in the purple is a small line of text that says the whole (this card is not legal in tournaments)

Not sure why people are that up in arms about this. We've had promo boxes before with unplayable cards, we've had promo boxes with cards not legal for tournament play, we've had official products featuring "proxies" all through Celebrations. Plenty of people will buy this set because it has pokemon they like in it, and plenty of people will play with these cards in their homes never thinking once about playing a tournament with them.

Not every product will be for you and that's okay. I'm glad this one exists because I don't want to shill out cash for the Premium Collection.

Whilst I appreciate the price point of the Classic Collection was utterly ridiculous. I feel like I never see as many comments on the tournament legality of cards from say, the world championship decks. the business of selling what are effectively proxies has been happening for years

Whilst I appreciate the price point of the Classic Collection was utterly ridiculous. I feel like I never see as many comments on the tournament legality of cards from say, the world championship decks. the business of selling what are effectively proxies has been happening for years
I feel like the sting comes from the fact that these are brand new cards that could be usable (specially the exs). People understand the purpose of the World Championship decks and likely accept that they would need to be more expensive to be tournament legal. These are different.

nobody likes championship decks either but at least they aren't marketed as "premium" lol

Well it includes the one card I wanted so that's good enough for me, however, my big issue is that while I'm fine with them printing cards that aren't tournament legal, I'd like it if they wouldn't put it in a goddamned expensive product. Instead I'd rather they take one of our biyearly shitty special sets and just replace it with a reprint set for cards throughout the series and hey maybe some 25th anniversary retroish cards like Light Toxtricity and shit

So basically, (This card cannot be used in tournaments.) doesn't need to be on any of these cards because the regulation marks or lack thereof already clarifies the legality of any individual card, but they add it in if they can fit it? I've previously entertained very poorly argued and idiotic arguments that the text was necessary for clarifying legality in Expanded format (???) but it's pretty obviously the case that it just doesn't need to be there. Since these cards are clearly intended for collectors one has to wonder why that text is there at all – if you put Expansion Sheet Mr. Mime next to other cards of the era it's always going to stick out because of the copyright position anyways, so why does TPCI feel it needs to add superfluous text that isn't present in the Japanese or Chinese versions? It undermines its appeal as an item for collectors.

BTW, weren't all the cards going to be made available sans the overpriced flourishes of a game board/pieces/etc.? Is that off the table now or will they all be made available piecemeal via smaller products such as this?
I was hoping for that too. I actually thought they were going to make three individual deck. From the article (link below) and I quote:

TPCi has also announced, “The unique cards from [Classic] will be made available in a separate product coming in February 2024.” Presumably this means you can get just the cards for a cheaper price — without the box’s accessories — but this is speculation.

It turns out to be this behemoth product.

They could've at least thrown a handful of those sexy energies in to give us some reason to buy this thing.

I was kinda expecting this. Glad I just bought the singles I wanted from classic instead of the whole box set :). People are even selling the play area separately for not too much, so picked that up too.

Yeah..that's exactly what I'm posting about. I'm saying it doesn't need to be there, and is detrimental for the point of it being a card made available for collectors and priced like a premium product.
I have seen many newer players and returning players not know anything about the regulation mark. Even at a local level, having to explain to people that actually that card isn't legal because it lacks a regulation mark sounds like a headache. But 100% on a collection level it marrs the set as a whole.

Back