“Clay Burst” Made-to-Order Booster Boxes Announced for Pokemon Center Website!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Creatures has announced it has decided to sell Clay Burst “made-to-order” booster boxes through the Pokemon Center website.
Customers will be able to submit applications for booster boxes from May 11th at 2:30 pm to May 16th at 3:00 pm. (If the Pokemon Center website becomes too congested, a virtual waiting room will open.) The orders will be shipped out either starting in early August, late August, or early October depending on the date assigned to your order. Full details for the application process can be viewed on the Pokemon Center website
Creatures previously announced it was considering selling “made-to-order” booster boxes for the set. Both Clay Burst...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Making cards "to order" definitely solves the issue of scalpers, but selling direct to consumer does hurt the retail stores which are the backbone of the community - whether here or in Japan. Having such a low print run of the first wave is definitely Pokemon's fault.

Making cards "to order" definitely solves the issue of scalpers, but selling direct to consumer does hurt the retail stores which are the backbone of the community - whether here or in Japan. Having such a low print run of the first wave is definitely Pokemon's fault.
Prior to the Iono run, they hadn't had an issue recently. Are you suggesting they heavily overprint every set in case one card triggers a run?

Prior to the Iono run, they hadn't had an issue recently. Are you suggesting they heavily overprint every set in case one card triggers a run?
Are you suggesting Pokemon doesn't know what they're printing? It was painfully obvious this set would be extremely sought-after. Pokemon knows that the main value of these cards is their collectability, so they cut down on the print runs to create a FOMO and have a more consistent sell-through. This time they flew too close to the sun and caused a big drama.

They need to do this permanently, or at least until the ridiculous hype dies down.
Yes they should! Sell on site one per account per week. It’s kind of ridiculous that they can’t hold supply on their own website! It should be readily available for at least until new set drops!

I keep seeing "low prints" getting thrown here and there, but do we actually know how much did TPC Japan printed these boxes initially?

I keep seeing "low prints" getting thrown here and there, but do we actually know how much did TPC Japan printed these boxes initially?
No, and there are no "low prints" it's just that resellers (scalpers) are buying up all the stock and shipping a large portion of it overseas to gullible people that are willing to pay 3x retail price.

They haven't had an issue that sparked this media attention*. This has been ongoing.

I went to Japan about a month ago. It was impossible to buy official packs of any set. Only place I could find them was in an official pokemon vending machine in the ikebukuro station, but the line was about 20 people long and you were limited to buying one pack at a time.

Even going to one of the largest pokemon card shops out there -- Hareruya 2 -- they didn't sell any. The Pokemon center had packs, but you couldn't walk in and buy one -- you had to pre order them (I think by lottery).

The only way you can buy cards right now is by direct resale of opened cards. Or, there's a lot of vending machines in tokyo that take opened packs and resell them in an ebay like manner across the streets of tokyo.

Pokemon cards right now are on the level of lottery tickets unfortunately.

Is that card really worth the $2,000? Who triggered such demand? I doubt TPC played a role, but I have no doubt that certain celebrities influenced the spike in popularity (not sure who). Does anyone know who made a big fuss about Iono prior to its release?

If you make the cards that whales go after to order it actually helps local game stores by ensuring they have a consistent supply. An Iono card is worth significantly less when everyone can just straight up buy one from the manufacturer

This wasn't celebrity hype. Iono is a popular character and the card is very playable and we live in a hellscape of eighty tiers of rarity with bad pull rates. Based on the details of the story it sounds like there might be a problem with this business model!

They should sell singles directly to Card shops. I guess it doesnt benefit TCPI but it would definitely support local shops. I feel like Scarlet and Violet fixed a lot of the issues on the english side, but Japan is having the exact opposite.

Very reasonable take and definitely something that people need to keep in mind. Yes scalpers and hoarders suck. But the issue is top down. It starts with the literal corporation that creates the cards and controls pull rates/print runs.

The demand must be known by the company in advance. It was rising ever since the last couple of years, with the international Pokemon boom and the growing intrest in japanese prodct even oversees.
I think the low print run and now made to oder boxes are an long planned experiment. Magic has done somewhat sucessfully oder to print, so pokemon probabbly also want to chash in.

Back