‘Pokemon TCG Live’ App Listed: New PTCGO App on the Horizon?

Finally! It’s been far too long since the last meaningful update. Really hoping they change the collection “system”, if you can call it that. Wouldn’t mind if trading was removed entirely and replaced with more of a crafting system. Or a TCGO store that actually sells singles? (I know I should keep expectations abysmally low, but hey, a man can dream.)

EDIT: I noticed quite a few people are worried about collections not transferring. I would be very surprised if they don’t. Everything on PTCGO should be linked to a Trainer Account and POP-ID.
Speak for yourself. I play with my family and the removal of trading would be awful for the way we play. I wouldn't mind a crafting system being implemented in addition to the current methods of obtaining cards, but the current system is one that should be improved upon, not completely scrapped. And... "Trading" is literally in the name of the game, is it not?

Vaguely scared of the possibility that accounts won't transfer over to a new client
I don't know why. They know what cards go to which account. I assume you'd just log on the new client with the same credentials. People would lose their GD minds if collections they spent real money on were ditched. It's an obvious non-negotiable feature.

Pokemon is the only TCG I know of that actually includes a code card in every pack. Assuming this game drops before Fusion Arts, having product on the shelf that includes codes for a game that isn't even active anymore would be quite scummy - I don't think they'll abandon people's collections, because they have no real incentive to do so. It's way better to have people buy actual packs for online boosters, rather than selling these boosters directly.
That doesn't mean it's impossible for them to come up with something stupid, I'm just saying there isn't really an incentive to do so.

Vaguely scared of the possibility that accounts won't transfer over to a new client
Not only would this be an insane decision to forego, I feel like that would be on the line of a class action lawsuit. I guess nothing is forever, but that would be totally f*cked if Pokemon made a brand spanking new 'PTCGO' with a brand new name and all, but didn't bring over the database of those who have already spent money on their current cards. I just can't see this happening.

Base the card obtaining process from the process of the GB/GBC versions...

If you're ditching a long-time game of a mess, look to what made the card game good, simple, and fun, even if it means trying that process one more time if planning for replacing the mess...

The TCGO is a very scary place to be. Take it from me. I've encounter Charizard cards that bleed AG tier power, tech decks that use Pheromosa GX's fast raid, Mad Parties, Marches, and now they're doing Everybody Rollout? There's decks that have better hands than me or the imaginary broad that cranks me.

Base the card obtaining process from the process of the GB/GBC versions...

If you're ditching a long-time game of a mess, look to what made the card game good, simple, and fun, even if it means trying that process one more time if planning for replacing the mess...
What is that process?

Eh… I‘m not 100% sure this‘ll be a complete retool, name/app art changes are common when it comes to mobile games (Pokémon Masters is a good example of the former, Pokémon GO often does the latter, and while it’s not a Pokémon app Kingdom Hearts Union Cross underwent several during its lifetime before it was shut down a few months ago).

Will there be some major additions/changes to the game? More than likely, but not on level of scrapping what Dire Wolf Digital was paid to initially build and everything that came after that.
I am so expecting a monetization scheme as bad as Duel Links though.
I doubt we’ll see one as bad as Duel Links for multiple reasons (TPCi trying it in the past with Gems, anti-loot box legislation in certain countries preventing the game from seeing release in those markets, the age demographic for the Pokémon TCG, etc.), it’d alienate both old and new players and goodness knows how many.
Good grief, finally. Whatever kind of update this is, it should've happened half a decade ago.

That being said, don't go verbally harassing the devs of the game. Not only are most of them not responsible for your problems with the client, but even if they were, that's no reason to be human garbage to them. I wish anyone who went out of their way to attack the staff bad pulls in their packs for years to come.
People were seriously harassing them over pack pulls? I won’t disregard it completely (I myself have some criticism over it, especially when the client treats ALL packs as individually-packaged ones with wildly different odds rather than treating 36 packs as a booster box with a general range of UR/SR pulls) but I see more people complaining about the RNG for shuffling and coin flips and the lack of creativity regarding tournaments and features.
What is that process?
You basically get packs from beating opponents, I doubt it’ll ever be a thing though.

I have so much to say and I can't put it to words.
Ok let me have this straight, ugh, too much information, or should I say too little? Did we really got the news from them by a product image? They had a 20 minute Pokémon presents last week and couldn't announce this? Are we tcg players so under the radar for them? Now look how everyone is, confused and worried, just because a effin' product image. We don't know what will happen to our accounts or cards that we've gathered across the years, worse we don't know what will happen to this 10 year old game just a few months away.
*Breath in*
*Breath out*
I'm sorry if I sounded hateful, I'm just stressed. It actually couldn't be that bad, let's be optimistic, it could be just improvements for the game without taking anything, maybe some microtransactions for packs/cards that others can still get for free, but of you pay you don't need to put a lot of time in it. There's also the aspects of the game that are really outdated, for instance: the single mode, they could improve that so the rewards don't suck, also the decks are still from the XY era, if they were remade today the mode would be waaaay more interesting, since the theme decks had been pumped up since the middle of the sm era.
another thing that needs attention according to my friend who played with me a time ago, it's the monotone game, nothing happens for most of the time, for years they have only been adding new sets, most of the time you're only playing for the 11 wins bonus per day, and occasionally some tournaments. And I know it could be better, I don't know if you guys remember the team rocket event or the weekend exclusive packs, those were really entertaining and it's a shame they got rid of them. Also there was the players cup online and it sounded really entertaining but I couldn't participate so I'll leave my opinion out of this.
I Think that's all... I know I'm sounding like a broken record but, all of this(or at least most of it) could have been solved if they had announced this properly instead of leaving all of us lost.

I have so much to say and I can't put it to words.
Ok let me have this straight, ugh, too much information, or should I say too little? Did we really got the news from them by a product image? They had a 20 minute Pokémon presents last week and couldn't announce this? Are we tcg players so under the radar for them? Now look how everyone is, confused and worried, just because a effin' product image. We don't know what will happen to our accounts or cards that we've gathered across the years, worse we don't know what will happen to this 10 year old game just a few months away.
*Breath in*
*Breath out*
I'm sorry if I sounded hateful, I'm just stressed. It actually couldn't be that bad, let's be optimistic, it could be just improvements for the game without taking anything, maybe some microtransactions for packs/cards that others can still get for free, but of you pay you don't need to put a lot of time in it. There's also the aspects of the game that are really outdated, for instance: the single mode, they could improve that so the rewards don't suck, also the decks are still from the XY era, if they were remade today the mode would be waaaay more interesting, since the theme decks had been pumped up since the middle of the sm era.
another thing that needs attention according to my friend who played with me a time ago, it's the monotone game, nothing happens for most of the time, for years they have only been adding new sets, most of the time you're only playing for the 11 wins bonus per day, and occasionally some tournaments. And I know it could be better, I don't know if you guys remember the team rocket event or the weekend exclusive packs, those were really entertaining and it's a shame they got rid of them. Also there was the players cup online and it sounded really entertaining but I couldn't participate so I'll leave my opinion out of this.
I Think that's all... I know I'm sounding like a broken record but, all of this(or at least most of it) could have been solved if they had announced this properly instead of leaving all of us lost.
While I agree that they should have announced it at the Presents, it's obvious that this was an error the bears decks release around the same time and still only mention PTCGO. Somebody sent the wrong images.

EDIT: Also, the Presents was specifically for video games so it might just be that TPCi doesn't consider PTCGO to be a video game product.

Last edited:
God, please no. Go down that road and all of a sudden you're having to spend thousands of dollars every set release to have more than a single top tier deck assembled. Yikes. I stopped playing Magic altogether back then because Arena is so unbelievably predatory and that was the only way I played Magic. The same is true for Pokémon, in paper I only buy the occasional Batle Arena/League Deck type stuff so I can have some half-decent decks to play against each other with my wife, everything else, Standard, Expanded, Legacy, I only can afford to play that online, and precisely because the current model is so fair and easy to work with. The one thing I will absolutely fight over is precisely the codes/trade dynamic that currently exists on PTCGO, that is the single most important quality of the client right now and I dread the day it starts becoming anything like Arena or all the other predatory and whale hunting s*** out there.
I can see where you’re coming from, but Arena is far from “unbelievably predatory.” I’m completely F2P on it and doesn’t feel hard to build up a couple high tier decks.
PTCGO on the other hand…
Unless you’re playing 10 to 20 games daily,
(As well as doing 8 pod events for tradable packs) I really don’t see how you build anything competitive without buying codes from a secondary market.
My main issue with the trading system is that it’s completely uncontrolled. It’s not uncommon for singles to cost just as much as the real cards.
I guess if you find some dirt cheap codes?
I’m fine with trading staying IF costs are artificially reduced by letting player buy
(non SR/FA) singles with coins. As well as being able to sell cards back for coins.

Speak for yourself. I play with my family and the removal of trading would be awful for the way we play. I wouldn't mind a crafting system being implemented in addition to the current methods of obtaining cards, but the current system is one that should be improved upon, not completely scrapped. And... "Trading" is literally in the name of the game, is it not?
Removing trading definitely isn’t the only way to go about it. I mentioned an option or two in my reply to Diego. Unless IAPs make an appearance in Live, I doubt much will change.
I imagine Direwolf’s budget for PTCGO is pretty small compared to the games they actually make money off of.

I can see where you’re coming from, but Arena is far from “unbelievably predatory.” I’m completely F2P on it and doesn’t feel hard to build up a couple high tier decks.
PTCGO on the other hand…
(As well as doing 8 pod events for tradable packs) I really don’t see how you build anything competitive without buying codes from a secondary market.
My main issue with the trading system is that it’s completely uncontrolled. It’s not uncommon for singles to cost just as much as the real cards.
I’m fine with trading staying IF costs are artificially reduced by letting player buy
(non SR/FA) singles with coins. As well as being able to sell cards back for coins.

Even content creators with far more resources than the average person complains about how ludicrously expensive Arena is. PTCGO is dirty cheap in comparison, it's not even close. The grind in Arena is really that, grind, unbelievable, gritty, torturous grind. And it is like that by design, as to force you into just giving up on the feelbad and putting money into the game. Most decks require a ridiculous amount of rares and mythics, and that's just talking standard. Wanna play Historic? That is on a whole new level of ridiculousness. On PTCGO, I spent some money to buy some packs here and there and I have dozens of decks in each format. Plus, the game gives you tickets for literally free, which you can use to (easily) win tournaments and get tradeable packs. It's really a piece of cake. Plus the trade system is the most pure and genuine supply and demand thing ever. With patience and a little bit of understanding you can even make some packs or acquire cards by smart trading. Other than that, only the over-hyped poster-boy of a given set set goes for those ridiculous amounts, but there's pretty much always better options (financially-wise) to go about playing the game, especially standard. For instance, why pay 30 packs for each SR, just because it's the new hot thing, when you can buy other equally competitive stuff for 1/3 of the price (like Ice Rider for instance)? Plus, if you're looking more for variety and fun than competitiveness, you can just forget super expensive cards altogether and build like multiple entire decks with the price of a single SR. Anyway, having played both clients I cannot stress enough how infinitely better than Arena PTCGO's economy is.

Last edited:
PTCGO on the other hand…
I totally disagree with you, I am a full f2p player and have cards like SR quick ball, SR urshifu v/VMAX, and lots of full arts and competitive Pokémon. And I got all of that thanks to the trading system.Screenshot_20210828-072006_Pokmon Trading Card Game Online.jpg

I totally disagree with you, I am a full f2p player and have cards like SR quick ball, SR urshifu v/VMAX, and lots of full arts and competitive Pokémon. And I got all of that thanks to the trading system.View attachment 16073
You can only get those from winning enough in tournaments though. The only thing a less skilled player can trade is pikachu clothes. Besides, how long have you been playing? A newer player would have to play quite a while to build that up, where as in arena after a while, getting a new deck is possible as f2p

You can only get those from winning enough in tournaments though. The only thing a less skilled player can trade is pikachu clothes. Besides, how long have you been playing? A newer player would have to play quite a while to build that up, where as in arena after a while, getting a new deck is possible as f2p
I play this game since 2013 with lots of 3-14 months pauses in between, but I started trading just when I got back when lost thunder came out. The hardest card for me to get was those quick balls, I got back playing in January during vivid voltage and by February when shining fates got out I had them and the whole ADP/zacian deck playset, just by trading.
I know it's hard to believe but trust me, the trading system is really that good

It takes a while at first, but you do it by playing theme deck tournaments, getting a few packs, and making your first deck. No, you won't be making shadow rider calyrex, which requires, about... 50+ packs, but you can still make a more budget deck to start playing standard and make the grind less boring and luck dependant. The new player could build victini vmax, for instance.
I play this game since 2013 with lots of 3-14 months pauses in between, but I started trading just when I got back when lost thunder came out. The hardest card for me to get was those quick balls, I got back playing in January during vivid voltage and by February when shining fates got out I had them and the whole ADP/zacian deck playset, just by trading.
I know it's hard to believe but trust me, the trading system is really that good
Sniping's a good job, mate. Sadly, flipping, sniping and/or negotiating with peopleon chat is a whole other game on its own. A new player should stick to playing for packs at first, and then cash out with the trading system.

It takes a while at first, but you do it by playing theme deck tournaments, getting a few packs, and making your first deck. No, you won't be making shadow rider calyrex, which requires, about... 50+ packs, but you can still make a more budget deck to start playing standard and make the grind less boring and luck dependant. The new player could build victini vmax, for instance.

Sniping's a good job, mate. Sadly, flipping, sniping and/or negotiating with peopleon chat is a whole other game on its own. A new player should stick to playing for packs at first, and then cash out with the trading system.
I am aware of snipping, but unfortunately, my internet and cellphone don't allow it, takes about 20 minutes to get to the 8 hour mark, at first I thought it was like that but then I tried it in my school's computer before class and it was super quick.
Now what is flipping? It's the first time I heard of this, opening packs?

Back