Contest January 2024 CaC: Level Ball (Image Results Up!)

Radiant Mimikyu
HP: 90
Type: Psychic

Ability: Suspicious Stare
Effect: As long as this Pokemon is on your bench, you may put 1 damage counter on your opponent's active Pokemon in between turns. If your opponent's active Pokemon is knocked out in this way, discard this Pokemon and all cards attached to it.

Attack: [P][C] Hide And Seek
Damage: 40
Effect: This attack does 10 damage to 3 of your opponent's Pokemon that have any energy attached to them. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon)

Weakness: Dark
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]

Description: Although this Pokemon looks scary, it's quite friendly. However, don't look underneath the bag it wears, as it is said that anyone who looks under it will get scared of what's inside so bad, that it will kill them.

Notes:
I chose a SWSH card because I feel as though the Radiant mechanic was underrated. Sure cards like Radiant Greninja, Charizard, and even Gardevoir at one point were staples in just about every deck, with Radiant Alakazam finally getting some attention recently, but as a whole, the mechanic was underrated as people always defaulted to one of those four. I also picked Mimikyu because 1, it's my favorite Pokemon, and 2, what better Pokemon to choose than a ghost type that we never saw a radiant represent? The idea behind the Mimikyu is simple. It's a nice counter to Garde. decks, but the drawback is you HAVE to have cards like Klara or Super Rod if you want to even try and use it again. Like most Radiant cards, the ability is the highlight of the card, but the attack isn't too bad at all, considering you are doing 40 to an active plus 10 to 3 benched. For things like Lost Box, or Garde, that attack is a force to be reconned with. Overall I am happy about the way this turned out, and I hope it does well when the results are posted!

Hi, I'm sorry to do this but based on the way Kaleidophoenix and myself were treated by the runner of the Faker's Marathon 6 I'm actually going to abstain from participating. I did not realize it had not only happened to me and I don't want to engage with a community that's headed by someone who acts like that seemingly regularly and not just because he had a bad day or something. My apologies.
Wish I'd seen this when it was posted but I can't let this slide.

While I initially disallowed your cards because they weren't being made explicitly for the marathon (which is the whole point), after literally thirteen minutes and a short discussion between you, me, and Jabberwock, I said it was fine:

receipt1.png
receipt2.png

You chose to not participate after that; that's on you. Don't try to make me out to be some sort of tyrant when your failure to enjoy yourself is entirely your own doing.

Allow me to present my entry.

Litwick HP: 60 [R]
Basic
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/bw/litwick.png

NO. 0607 Candle Pokémon HT: 1' WT: 6.8 lbs.
[R] Aftersoul Fires
Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned. If this Pokémon is in your discard pile, you can also use this attack by putting 1 Basic [R] Energy card in your discard pile into the Lost Zone. If you use this attack this way, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned and Poisoned.

[R][C] Hexed Flame 20+
This attack does 20 more damage for each Special Condition affecting the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:

The flame on its head keeps its body slightly warm. This Pokémon takes lost children by the hand to guide them into the spirit world.
The biggest problem with Level Ball, outside the lack of good search targets, is that Radiant Greninja and Sableye LOR are simply too strong and too common to make something with 90 HP or less worth keeping around unless you devote two extra bench spaces to it. I'd also read through some old Create-a-card threads and found an entry featuring a Gengar(?) that could attack from the discard pile, and wanted to create my own attempt at that.

Balancing an attack from the discard pile (or bench, even) is extremely difficult, since if you can fulfill the energy cost every turn, and the attack cannot be too powerful as it can be stacked with something disruptive in the active slot, such as Block Snorlax. I would hope I threaded that needle enough, especially since Status Conditions are getting a major buff within the next set.

[STAGE1] Crocalor HP90 [R]
Evolves from Fuecoco

vuM_A04iSRkKYviJ6eF9AbiFfAF8mNewWKhMujS8uE5w5peOwtCIj_H4qtxGoqVyD0m6Fmk9-el5Iqp9A-2gE4E844WakaolbHV8ZfJ20kj5M03nz_JmRRLQwoP4CTfjlQ9ZWB6b_fiLxhDZANPhwgQ

NO. 0910 Fire Croc Pokémon HT: 3’3” WT: 67.7 lbs.

[ABILITY] Warm-Up Blaze
When you play a Pokémon from your hand to evolve this Pokémon during your turn, you may put up to 2 Basic [R] Energy cards from your discard pile into your hand.

[R][C] Flaming Overture 50
If you have 5 or more Prize cards remaining, search your deck for up to 3 Basic [R] Energy cards and attach them to your Benched [R] Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
[G] [NJP] 007 (Pr)
The valve in Crocalor’s flame sac is closely connected to its vocal cords. This Pokémon utters a guttural cry as it spews flames every which way.
I really wanted to make Skeledirge ex PAR 137 more playable, but 90 HP is a bad number for the standard format with Radiant Greninja and Sableye running around, and creating an attack like Mirage Step or Water Duplicates would be too easy, and not interesting enough for CaC.

Flaming Overture can help you get your Pokémon set up in the early game. If you get Crocalor out and attacking turn 2, it's likely going to get knocked out the following turn. The Energy that was used to attack can then be recycled with Warm-Up Blaze to use Skeledirge ex's Incendiary Song Ability. Overture having a power of 50 is great for setting up KOs on Stage 2 ex's like Charizard and Gardevoir with a Luster Purge and two Incendiary Songs.

Refs: Snorlax MEW 153, Grumpig OBF 91, Alakazam-EX FCO 25, Pelipper PAL 159

Here's my entry!
Pumpkaboo – Psychic – HP 60
Basic
X7vWCqEboqPlYn3Tre-EAR_bjQmSkTuVm17bpe9471G-eiSWpOntHZ7_DSU-I9iASaIb1yYPtx7RTLxV9SurU2PaTUxuASGb7i-vlDDMBdZBfrgSOR15qMUFHqQ_1mv1skmOQgm_roRKSnQOQDiQx3s

NO. 710 Pumpkin Pokémon HT: 1’04” WT: 11 lbs.

Ability: Psychic Gathering
Once during your turn, (before you attack), you may search your deck for a [P] Pokémon for each Gourgeist you have in play, shuffle your deck, then put those Pokémon on top of it in any order.

[C] Pumpkin Pass 10
Draw a card. Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
It is said to carry wandering spirits to the place where they belong so they can move on.
I chose Pumpkaboo because I think that the Gourgeist from Chilling Reign is really interesting. Being able to do up to 360 damage is really good, but its attack is so unreliable. This card fixes that problem, while also not being too powerful, which is something I really had to think about when creating an effect like Psychic Gathering on a Basic Pokemon. This ability does cap at 3 mons on top of your deck, unless you are playing this with Zoroark from Chilling Reign. Also, the effect isn't stackable, since you shuffle your deck after pulling the psychic Pokemon out. This card was intended to be printed in the late SWSH era, somewhere around BRS probably. The primary card I used as a reference point was Mallow GRI, since TPCi doesn't love printing these kinds of effects.

The Zoroark isn't from Chilling Reign. It's from Evolving Skies
Here's my entry!
Pumpkaboo – Psychic – HP 60
Basic
X7vWCqEboqPlYn3Tre-EAR_bjQmSkTuVm17bpe9471G-eiSWpOntHZ7_DSU-I9iASaIb1yYPtx7RTLxV9SurU2PaTUxuASGb7i-vlDDMBdZBfrgSOR15qMUFHqQ_1mv1skmOQgm_roRKSnQOQDiQx3s

NO. 710 Pumpkin Pokémon HT: 1’04” WT: 11 lbs.

Ability: Psychic Gathering
Once during your turn, (before you attack), you may search your deck for a [P] Pokémon for each Gourgeist you have in play, shuffle your deck, then put those Pokémon on top of it in any order.

[C] Pumpkin Pass 10
Draw a card. Switch this Pokémon with one of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
It is said to carry wandering spirits to the place where they belong so they can move on.
I chose Pumpkaboo because I think that the Gourgeist from Chilling Reign is really interesting. Being able to do up to 360 damage is really good, but its attack is so unreliable. This card fixes that problem, while also not being too powerful, which is something I really had to think about when creating an effect like Psychic Gathering on a Basic Pokemon. This ability does cap at 3 mons on top of your deck, unless you are playing this with Zoroark from Chilling Reign. Also, the effect isn't stackable, since you shuffle your deck after pulling the psychic Pokemon out. This card was intended to be printed in the late SWSH era, somewhere around BRS probably. The primary card I used as a reference point was Mallow GRI, since TPCi doesn't love printing these kinds of effects.

KPCAC26_Dark_Fraxure.png
Pelipper PAL#159: "When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn..."
Thwackey CRE#017: "Discard a random card from your opponent’s hand."
Camerupt OBF#032: "Discard the top card of each player’s deck. This attack does 100 more damage for each Energy card discarded in this way."
Been working on these blanks for a little while now, and they're ready enough for a CaC debut. E-card layout with SM textures/symbols and modern wording. Dark is the secondary typing intentionally (I think the flavor is better, and if Steam Siege can make dumb stuff, so can I). I'm also using the new CaC symbol for modernizing reasons. I've got other things to finish up before there's a public release of the blanks, but they should be coming eventually.

Onto the card itself! A clean hand off a Level Ball search is quite good, as Dedenne-GX off Quick Ball proved, but this time it's on an evolution, so there's more investment. I also like the risk/reward of discarding your hand instead of a draw up to effect to tie into the Rocket lore. Discard is the overall theme here, with Knock Off depleting your opponent's hand after you've refreshed your own, and Dark Sheer being a big bomb of an attack that's quite high investment for a Stage 1 (meaning it won't see much use, but that's fine). This is balanced for late DP era. Overall I'm quite happy with how this one turned out.

Rapidash – [R] – HP 90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ponyta

NO. 078 Fire Horse Pokémon HT: 5'07" WT: 209.4 lbs.

Ability: Fire Dash
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon was on the Bench and became your Active Pokémon this turn, you may attach a [R] Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

[R][R] Blowback Burner: 30×
Move all [R] Energy from this Pokémon to 1 of your Benched Pokémon. This attack does 30 damage times the amount of Energy you moved in this way.

Weakness: [W]×2
Resistance:
Retreat:
Very competitive, this Pokémon will chase anything that moves fast in the hopes of racing it.
Arcanine EVO#18: "Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon was on the Bench and became your Active Pokémon this turn..."
Team Magma's Camerupt DCR#2: "...you may attach a [F] or [R] Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon."
Primal Kyogre-EX AOR#55: "Move 2 Energy from this Pokémon to 1 of your Benched Pokémon."
Hydregion STS#86: "This attack does 50 damage times the amount of {D} Energy you discarded in this way."
An XY card (haven't done one of those before), this guy fits into the whole Fire is the discard type XY was playing around with. You need 6 Energy to take a KO on most basic EXs, but there's plenty of ways to get Energy into the discard and switch around a couple of times with your free retreat and a couple switching cards. Scorched Earth gives you a bit of extra consistency, and Blacksmith can help swing for a couple of big turns. Moving your Energy around means you force your opponent to either Lysandre to hit the Energy or KO the Active and leave themselves open for the follow-up attack, which is more likely to hit harder.

I did notice a wording change right at EVO with Ninetales BREAK, but because I am putting this in the second year of XY (PRC-ROS about), that update hasn't happened yet.

Pelipper PAL#159: "When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn..."
Thwackey CRE#017: "Discard a random card from your opponent’s hand."
Camerupt OBF#032: "Discard the top card of each player’s deck. This attack does 100 more damage for each Energy card discarded in this way."
Been working on these blanks for a little while now, and they're ready enough for a CaC debut. E-card layout with SM textures/symbols and modern wording. Dark is the secondary typing intentionally (I think the flavor is better, and if Steam Siege can make dumb stuff, so can I). I'm also using the new CaC symbol for modernizing reasons. I've got other things to finish up before there's a public release of the blanks, but they should be coming eventually.

Onto the card itself! A clean hand off a Level Ball search is quite good, as Dedenne-GX off Quick Ball proved, but this time it's on an evolution, so there's more investment. I also like the risk/reward of discarding your hand instead of a draw up to effect to tie into the Rocket lore. Discard is the overall theme here, with Knock Off depleting your opponent's hand after you've refreshed your own, and Dark Sheer being a big bomb of an attack that's quite high investment for a Stage 1 (meaning it won't see much use, but that's fine). This is balanced for late DP era. Overall I'm quite happy with how this one turned out.
Beautiful template! It looks much better than my personal attempts to create an e-card formatted template using Omnium... granted, I did like how I made space for Pokédex entries at the bottom, but I didn't draw the grill details very neatly, and the illustration border didn't look clean either.

Now I want to see the Dark Haxorus this Pokémon would evolve into.

Completely forgot to include my text entry, huh, anyways.
In for text.
Pecharunt– – HP70
Basic Pokémon

HOME1025.png
NO. 1025 Subyugation Pokémon HT: 1’00” WT: 0.7 lbs.

Ability: Mochi Mayhem
Once during your turn, you may put a card face down from your hand onto your Bench. As long as a card remains face down in this way, that card is a 30-HP Basic [C] Pokémon with "Mochi" in its name, it can't be affected by any Special Conditions, it can't retreat, and if that card is Knocked Out, your opponent can't take any Prize cards for it. At any time during your turn, you may turn it face up. Then, if it is not a Basic Pokémon, discard it from play. If you put any cards onto your Bench in this way, put this Pokémon in the Lost Zone. (Discard all attached cards.)

[C] Malignant Deal
Search your deck for up to 3 basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon that has “Mochi” in its name in any way you like. During your opponent’s next turn, if this Pokémon is Knocked Out, your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Confused and Poisoned.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
It feeds others toxic mochi that draw out desires and capabilities. Those who eat the mochi fall under Pecharunt’s control, chained to its will.

Basically I wanted to create a card that could mimic the mind games of Gym Challenge's Lt Surge's Secret Plan to the standard format and also create a card about Pecharunt because Mochi Mayhem is the best part of the SV DLC dont @ me. The only way to achieve that without creating a strong control deck support was that it needed to havee a "one-off" ability that would send user to the Lost Zone". The final idea become into the current card, that its ability puts a "Mochi" Colorless 30-HP token into the Bench (and then you send Pecharunt to the Lost Zone), then if you have another Pecharunt in-play, you could accelerate 3 basic energy cards to the "Mochi" token with its attack. Since the "Mochi" token could be any card, you could play mindgames and force a gust option like Boss' Orders onto a facedown Energy card. It's basically Lillie's Poke Doll + Arceus V + Lt Surge's Secret Plan.

Palafin - HP 90 - [W]
Stage 1, Evolves from Finizen
1706725780462.png
NO. 0964 Dolphin Pokémon HT: 4'03'' WT: 132.7 lbs.

(Ability): Zero to Hero

As long as you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, this Pokémon gets +90HP and its attacks do 90 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W] - Justice Always Prevails 60+
If any of your Pokémon were Knocked Out during your opponent’s last turn, this attack does 60 more damage.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]
Its physical capabilities are no different than a Finizen’s, but when its allies are in danger, it transforms and powers itself up.

I originally struggled a lot to think of what to do for this CaC. Eventually, though, I knew I wanted to make a card that could go beyond the limitations of the Level Ball while still being able to be searched out with it. Wishiwashi (EVS) was a great example of what I wanted. An overall underwhelming card that could potentially be a strong attacker with a lot of HP. After a while of searching and thinking, I chose Palafin. Palafin in the games is a very underwhelming Pokémon, that when positioned correctly, can be one of the most powerful Pokémon on your team. All the current Palafin cards only reflect Palafin's Hero form, so I thought this could be a great chance to showcase its in-game ability and its Zero form. For a while, though I couldn't figure out what or how I wanted this card to be designed, obviously its ability would allow it to have more HP and do more damage, but I couldn't figure out the conditions I wanted this ability to activate under. Similarly, I was lost when choosing the attack. I knew I wanted it to be a generally underwhelming attack for a low Energy cost that could be taken advantage of once Palafin's Ability was activated. I went through a ton of drafts, both with different ways of activating its ability and what the attack would do, and eventually settled on this one.

This entire card is very clearly designed as being a comeback card. 90 HP on Stage 1 isn't that great and 60+[60] under a specific condition isn't horrible for 1 Energy, but not spectacular. Once the ability activates, this card goes to a whopping 180 HP which is a lot higher than other Palafin cards, but I felt it was appropriate since this card is not going to have 180 HP throughout the entire game most of the time. Its attack then goes to being 60+90+[60]. This is a huge power spike for such an inexpensive attack, even doing 150 damage is good, but being able to do 210 is amazing, even for a Stage 1. The biggest flaw in this card though, can be considered to be the fact that it does so much damage. It's possible that after KOing one of your opponent's Pokémon with this card, the Ability would deactivate, making the extra 90 HP redundant. Now, 180 HP isn't a whole lot, most Pokémon in the format can 1HKO it anyway, but against certain cards like Radiant Greninja, Cramorant (LOR), and Sableye (LOR) the HP can make all the difference. This is an unfortunate flaw in a card like this and if I had some more time I could probably find a way around this, but this is how I'm going to leave it. On a positive note, during a game, it's not always that the +90 HP won't be active.

Anyway, I love CaC and it's my second one! I hope to cook up something better for the next one, but I hope you enjoy this card. I usually try to create interesting cards that make you think and wonder how they could fit into the current format, part of that is because I only create text fakes, but another part of that is because I love creating things and I want my creations to be meaningful and something that can stay on your mind for at least a while. I don't always succeed at that, but I do try. I wish luck to everyone who submitted an entry this month!

Palafin - HP 90 - [W]
Stage 1, Evolves from Finizen
View attachment 18828
NO. 0964 Dolphin Pokémon HT: 4'03'' WT: 132.7 lbs.

(Ability): Zero to Hero
As long as you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, this Pokémon gets +90HP and its attacks do 90 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W] - Justice Always Prevails 60+
If any of your Pokémon were Knocked Out during your opponent’s last turn, this attack does 60 more damage.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]
Its physical capabilities are no different than a Finizen’s, but when its allies are in danger, it transforms and powers itself up.

I originally struggled a lot to think of what to do for this CaC. Eventually, though, I knew I wanted to make a card that could go beyond the limitations of the Level Ball while still being able to be searched out with it. Wishiwashi (EVS) was a great example of what I wanted. An overall underwhelming card that could potentially be a strong attacker with a lot of HP. After a while of searching and thinking, I chose Palafin. Palafin in the games is a very underwhelming Pokémon, that when positioned correctly, can be one of the most powerful Pokémon on your team. All the current Palafin cards only reflect Palafin's Hero form, so I thought this could be a great chance to showcase its in-game ability and its Zero form. For a while, though I couldn't figure out what or how I wanted this card to be designed, obviously its ability would allow it to have more HP and do more damage, but I couldn't figure out the conditions I wanted this ability to activate under. Similarly, I was lost when choosing the attack. I knew I wanted it to be a generally underwhelming attack for a low Energy cost that could be taken advantage of once Palafin's Ability was activated. I went through a ton of drafts, both with different ways of activating its ability and what the attack would do, and eventually settled on this one.

This entire card is very clearly designed as being a comeback card. 90 HP on Stage 1 isn't that great and 60+[60] under a specific condition isn't horrible for 1 Energy, but not spectacular. Once the ability activates, this card goes to a whopping 180 HP which is a lot higher than other Palafin cards, but I felt it was appropriate since this card is not going to have 180 HP throughout the entire game most of the time. Its attack then goes to being 60+90+[60]. This is a huge power spike for such an inexpensive attack, even doing 150 damage is good, but being able to do 210 is amazing, even for a Stage 1. The biggest flaw in this card though, can be considered to be the fact that it does so much damage. It's possible that after KOing one of your opponent's Pokémon with this card, the Ability would deactivate, making the extra 90 HP redundant. Now, 180 HP isn't a whole lot, most Pokémon in the format can 1HKO it anyway, but against certain cards like Radiant Greninja, Cramorant (LOR), and Sableye (LOR) the HP can make all the difference. This is an unfortunate flaw in a card like this and if I had some more time I could probably find a way around this, but this is how I'm going to leave it. On a positive note, during a game, it's not always that the +90 HP won't be active.

Anyway, I love CaC and it's my second one! I hope to cook up something better for the next one, but I hope you enjoy this card. I usually try to create interesting cards that make you think and wonder how they could fit into the current format, part of that is because I only create text fakes, but another part of that is because I love creating things and I want my creations to be meaningful and something that can stay on your mind for at least a while. I don't always succeed at that, but I do try. I wish luck to everyone who submitted an entry this month!
Love the card, the attack name is a bit cringe tho lol

Porygon2.png
The art was a gift from Ignis, a good friend of mine! Check out his stuff here: https://twitter.com/IgnisSd

This card was made with the Lackey DPPt metagame in mind.

The theme behind this Porygon2 is to use your opponent's choices against him. Its Poké-Body can punish setting up too early by blocking up to 60 damage. Since a lot of the support Pokémon in Lackey DPPt are evolutions (Raccaflame, Pidgeot delta, etc...) and are kinda hard to punish, this would be a way to do so. The item and the attack work in similar ways, the latter adding another factor onto what your opponent should chose to leave in the active on top of "is this mon gonna die", and the former forcing decisions at times they might not be used to.

The flavor theme is all based around the artwork: Porygon2 sent in space using random balloons. The item is a sarcastic nod to that, and Extreme Adaptation is also a reference to how Pory is able to live in space (weee). The Pokédex desc is also kind of a joke relating to that, on top of being one of the official dex descs.

Overall I'm pretty proud of this card. It's nothing very flashy or very complicated, but despite being a simple one prizer i still did a thorough exploration of the theme i chose; thats how I like my cards.

It's a me, the grainy scan texture guy.

DeltaComfeyCaC.png

This fella could search your level ball back (if it was in ex) and wouldn't hinder anyone using said level ball cause it meddles with coin flips that are indeed not required for a level ball search. It's a Comfey ring that recycles, and revolves around dancing just like a recycle symbol.
The stars are doing some bizarre things in the background, wonder if that's related to the dragon typing (C).

About the typing, the orb order and rulebox order mach, as specified in the olde 2023 Stage 2 Synergy CaC scoring for the steel/colorless Darkrai I made.
You can read my opinion on the matter in the 100 messages under the Delta Comfey Showcase post lol.
In short I personally would leave the orb as is since I believe that Metal is to Deltas what Dark is to, well, Dark Pokemon.
As for the rulebox, Dark Steelix and Delta Meowth, they have the same type combo, different orbs, same rulebox; so I would reverse the order that is now on the card. I left it like this so I can respect the previous ruling.

I tried to understand Trainer power levels with the help of everyone involved in the Delta Comfey Showcase post conversation (TY btw) but in the end I feel like I've failed to balance Misfortune Dance, in case of an head it locks your opponent out of a lot of Trainer cards for just a colorless. But it does leave you with a 50HP lil dude who can't evolve on the active so maybe I did sth idk.

For the wording:
I referenced Magcargo, Raticate and the fact that you always say 'a Trainer' and not '1 Trainer' from what I have gathered for Recycle Ring;
Heatran lv.X for Misfortune Dance (yup I really would have had nothing if not for Sammy helping me on help.)

"I bet you've wondered at least once if one of those lights could reach you.
You've looked at the sky with unease, scared of your own fragility.
I'll tell you that sometimes one does, but not to hurt you, neither to help you; just to have some fun."

I tried to understand Trainer power levels with the help of everyone involved in the Delta Comfey Showcase post conversation (TY btw) but in the end I feel like I've failed to balance Misfortune Dance, in case of an head it locks your opponent out of a lot of Trainer cards for just a colorless. But it does leave you with a 50HP lil dude who can't evolve on the active so maybe I did sth idk.
I wouldn't be too worried about Misfortune Dance. The only playable cards it turns off in the 2006, 2007, and 2008 formats are Pokéball, Energy Removal 2, Pokémon Reversal, Dual Ball, Life Herb, Super Scoop Up, Energy Charge (Maybe? I don't know if it was played in the EX era), and Time-Space Distortion. That's eight cards, and none of them are absolutely essential. Pokéball and Master Ball compete for space in turn-2 decks (read this article for information on which is stronger in a given deck: https://erikreeds.wordpress.com/2023/09/16/master-ball-vs-poke-ball-in-rs-pk/), but the difference is small enough those decks won't suffer from using Master Ball instead. Dual Ball was primarily useful in big basic decks like turn-2 Zapdos or RayLer (the latter of which was only playable in EX Block, an official format in Japan that used all third generation sets). Shutting off Time-Space Distortion would be painful, except that you're not being aggressive if you attack with Comfey. The other cards are not essential for setting up, and were strong and disruptive when successful, so having some counterplay to them isn't horrible; in fact, I would consider removing the coin flip. If you are fielding a 50 HP basic and attaching an Energy to it to stop your opponent from using a Super Scoop Up to pick up their 110 HP Rayquaza ex delta that will Knock it Out on your opponent's next turn, you do not want to flip tails. You are putting too much on the line.

I am more worried about the Poké-Power not being on a coin flip. Jason Klaczynski's blog features RayLer, the BDIF in the EX Block Format, an offensive control deck that relies on three of the strongest basics in the format, and what puts Minun up their with a 110 HP basic and the infamous Pushaway abuser is its ability to retrieve Pow! Hand Extension with Sniff Out. This deck can easily shift gears between stripping away your opponent's hand, trapping a Pokémon in the active, and raining down destruction on your opponent's bench, due in no small part to Sniff Out. Then Erik Reeds build Ratlock, which uses Raticate from FireRed & LeafGreen to create an even more oppressive Pow lock deck that doesn't even need to worry about status conditions disrupting it. And before you think the Worlds formats are safe, Jay Hornung adapted RatLock to the 2005 Worlds format (https://jklaczpokemon.com/ex-decks/#rayler, https://erikreeds.wordpress.com/2022/03/19/ratlock-rs-pk/,
). With so many decks being built around looping Pow! Hand Extension with attacks, I am terrified by the thought of how much worse this could get if you could do it on an ability. Maybe putting the Poké-Power on a coin flip would work, especially since you couldn't use a second Comfey to try again.

Given how severe Comfey plus Pow! Hand Extension could become, I would suggest editing this card and incurring the two point penalty. You would probably lose more than 2 playability/believability points if you did not edit it.

The art was a gift from Ignis, a good friend of mine! Check out his stuff here: https://twitter.com/IgnisSd

This card was made with the Lackey DPPt metagame in mind.

The theme behind this Porygon2 is to use your opponent's choices against him. Its Poké-Body can punish setting up too early by blocking up to 60 damage. Since a lot of the support Pokémon in Lackey DPPt are evolutions (Raccaflame, Pidgeot delta, etc...) and are kinda hard to punish, this would be a way to do so. The item and the attack work in similar ways, the latter adding another factor onto what your opponent should chose to leave in the active on top of "is this mon gonna die", and the former forcing decisions at times they might not be used to.

The flavor theme is all based around the artwork: Porygon2 sent in space using random balloons. The item is a sarcastic nod to that, and Extreme Adaptation is also a reference to how Pory is able to live in space (weee). The Pokédex desc is also kind of a joke relating to that, on top of being one of the official dex descs.

Overall I'm pretty proud of this card. It's nothing very flashy or very complicated, but despite being a simple one prizer i still did a thorough exploration of the theme i chose; thats how I like my cards.
That artwork is heartbreaking! Why is Porygon2 in tears? It doesn't look like it wants to go to space! Who thought it was okay to break its little heart?

Back