Mist Energy, Rabsca from “Wild Force” and “Cyber Judge”

Nice to see they're preparing to maybe replace manaphy with a stage 1/ active spot ability (SV thundurus) once SWSH rotates out. But that'll probably not be for a long while.. ??

Both cards are pretty good. The energy provides an answer to Roaring Moon and Giratina for tankier decks, like I may run it as a 1 of in Garchomp ex (which while the main attack costs Fightning energy, after the first Fighting energy attachment you never need to attach one manually again).

Rabsca gives me flashbacks of Daunting Pose Machoke which prevented damage to your benched Pokemon and also damage counters from attacks and abilities to your bench, but this trades preventing damage counters from abilities to the bench for preventing other attack effects (which may not be as valuable, but it's still solid).
Isnt placing counters an "attack efect"? It should work with anything I think?

I'm wondering if Mist Energy blocks TM Devolution, or if it's like Path to the Peak+Forest Seal Stone

Forest Seal Stone’s vstar is not on the pokemon that’s why path didn’t stop it but tms are attacks used by pokemon so Mist Energy blocks tm devolution’s effect

I don't see Rabsca showing up in competition unless you can afford to evolve it with TM Evolution. Dedicating your evolution to that instead of something like Bibarel requires a specific deck though.

Mist Energy seems really powerful for Charizard as a tech since it doesn't need its manual attachment for its attack cost unless something like Path were involved. Lugia's of course gonna run it too.

The real question with Mist Energy is if decks that are slightly bulkier than 220 use it and can use it to contribute to attack cost, namely the Ancient Paradox ex's. Roaring Moon had first tried out both Jet Energy and Gift Energy, but dropped them when they didn't contribute enough in the end of it. This might be different depending on how important Frenzied Gouging gets with all these big basics slightly bigger than 220 HP coming out alongside it.

I don't know that I'd call it a buff at all. It gets Comfey (and Manaphy and Jirachi, if you're running them) and that's it.

Is it decent? Sure, but Battle VIP Pass, which rotates when this becomes tournament legal, does that already and can *also* get Cramorant or whatever other 'mon you want turn one. And you're probably not digging for multiple Comfey all that often after Turn 1 anyway. So really... is it fair to even call it a buff?

It's more of a sidegrade. While it's absolutely better in grabbing Comfeys if you whiff it turn 1, the fact that it cant grab R. Greninja and Cramorant is big enough of a downside.
That’s true. It’s to make up for losing VIP Pass, but isn’t necessarily better or even arguably as good, it’s just to keep lost box playable.

I thought about it a little more and the one thing I didn't think about earlier was Arceus decks running Mist Energy as a means to better deal with Giratina and Roaring Moon, namely Arc-Goodra and Arc-Regigigas. This is similar mentality to Arceus decks teching V-Guard Energy to change damage numbers. These decks should feel comfortable teching Mist Energy, but still have obvious problems with go-second aggro decks. Still, a decent benefit.

This also made me think about Lost Goodra (Or Mike Catron's off the wall Lost Gigas deck). If anyone's still playing Lost Goodra after rotation, they may have to run this card even if it isn't the most comfortable thing to run in the deck, just to have a better time with Giratina and Roaring Moon should those be prominent.

I was comparing it to the Machoke which has the extra benefit of also denying damage counters from abilities on top of from attacks, with the trade-off from this Rabsca being that it also prevents other effects from attacks to your bench (such as gusting, bouncing, etc etc).

Attachments

• 130974.jpg
    130974.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 6
I'm wondering if Mist Energy blocks TM Devolution, or if it's like Path to the Peak+Forest Seal Stone

Forest Seal Stone’s vstar is not on the pokemon that’s why path didn’t stop it but tms are attacks used by pokemon so Mist Energy blocks tm devolution’s effect
I guess what it comes down to is whether an attack granted by a TM still counts as being used by the Pokémon, which I think it does count as because it’s not talking about an attack on the Pokémon but instead an attack from the Pokémon, so I totally agree with @JaniK.

I guess what it comes down to is whether an attack granted by a TM still counts as being used by the Pokémon, which I think it does count as because it’s not talking about an attack on the Pokémon but instead an attack from the Pokémon, so I totally agree with @JaniK.
Since Cramonat and Radiant Charizard can reduce the cost of attacks from Technical Maschines Rabsca should be able to block damage and effects from attacks that have been granted to Pokémon via a TM.

In a similar manner Iron Crown ex would be able to boost attacks granted to Future Pokémon via TMs too.

I thought about it a little more and the one thing I didn't think about earlier was Arceus decks running Mist Energy as a means to better deal with Giratina and Roaring Moon, namely Arc-Goodra and Arc-Regigigas. This is similar mentality to Arceus decks teching V-Guard Energy to change damage numbers. These decks should feel comfortable teching Mist Energy, but still have obvious problems with go-second aggro decks. Still, a decent benefit.

This also made me think about Lost Goodra (Or Mike Catron's off the wall Lost Gigas deck). If anyone's still playing Lost Goodra after rotation, they may have to run this card even if it isn't the most comfortable thing to run in the deck, just to have a better time with Giratina and Roaring Moon should those be prominent.
Chien-Pao and Gholdengo laughs at Lost Goodra. Plus, how do you even search for the mist to attach it in the first place if you don't play enough copies in the deck. If you play any more than 2, mirage gate becomes super difficult to play, especially for an evolved attacker in a lost box. Doesn't sound at all like a good build.. ?? Also, roaring moon can easily run temple to shut down the mist. ?

Last edited:
I imagine you would be playing this in a stage two deck and if so, the other rabsca provides tremendous value as well.

"Put a Pokémon from your discard pile onto your Bench" for one colorless

Does the mist energy shut off Giratina V shred attack text? " this attacks damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponents active pokemon"?

Short answer is yes, the energy blocks it.
Long answer, this is basically game language deciphering, but there's a difference between Path to the Peak and Mist Energy.

Path to the Peak says "Pokemon with a Rule Box have no abilities". In essence this basically removes the entire Ability text box from the card as if it doesn't exists. It's not that they can't use their abilities or they are "turned off", they are just treated to NOT having abilities in the first place. That's why the Seal Stones work because the abilities are on the Tool, and it is worded "the Pokemon this card is attached to can use the VStar Power of this card." The Stone is not a Pokemon, so Path doesn't do anything to it, therefore the Pokemon is able to use the VStar Power.

Contrast to Mist Energy (and by extension Big Parasol), it says "Prevent all effects of attacks from your opponent’s Pokémon done to the Pokémon this card is attached to". Note that it says "...attacks FROM your opponent's Pokemon". A TM (and the Style Scrolls) says "The Pokemon this card is attached to can use the attack on this card." So the attack is not on the Pokemon, but on usage the attack would still be FROM the Pokemon, because, well, it's the one that is attacking. Therefore Mist Energy should stop TM Devolution from applying its effects.

Does the mist energy shut off Giratina V shred attack text? " this attacks damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponents active pokemon"?
No, because Shred's text is not an effect. Sort of. It is KIND OF an effect, or more accurately an innate "attribute" of the attack, but it does not place any effect on the Defending Pokemon.

Back