XY About weather and seasons

Bolt the Cat said:
Sun: Lowers water level, allowing you to explore more low lying areas. Causes more Grass and Fire types to appear in the wild
Rain: Raises water level, allowing you to reach higher areas by Surfing. Causes more Water and Electric types to appear in the wild
Sandstorm: Sand piles up in the area, filling in certain areas like the leaves did in Autumn on Rt. 19. Causes more Rock, Ground, and Steel types to appear in the wild.
Hail: Exactly like it was in 5th gen, snow piles up in the area, and water areas freeze over. Causes more Ice types to appear in the wild.
That sounds great, those would make it really interesting... I'm imagining getting in some caves, which entrance would be covered by water... It would really be interesting that the weather would do something else than just rainy day or hail, indeed.

And about the starry nights... yeah that'd be awesome... I'm really waiting for Pokemon to show some night which hopefully will look great with these graphics, and with the light effects of the 3DS...

Personally, I don't see the removal of Day/Night as a thing these days.
In the last two generations, it was present. Why would they remove it nao?
As for seasons, I can see it being done away with.

I don't if anyone has mentioned this but I'd like it if when a pokemon uses a move like rain dance, sandstorm, and hail; the weather will keep going until the end of the battle instead of saying "It is raining." or "It is hailing." every turn.

GlaceonFanatic said:
I don't if anyone has mentioned this but I'd like it if when a pokemon uses a move like rain dance, sandstorm, and hail; the weather will keep going until the end of the battle instead of saying "It is raining." or "It is hailing." every turn.

Infinite weather is too OP.

And 5th gen doesn't have those annoying weather messages every turn anyway.

AdamLambert said:
No! That ruins Deerling and Sawsbuck! I love those guys...

Maybe you could catch different appearances in different regions? Like the snowy one in the mountains and so on. Or if you have a deerling or sawbuck it would adapt to wherever you are?

Nightingirle said:
AdamLambert said:
No! That ruins Deerling and Sawsbuck! I love those guys...

Maybe you could catch different appearances in different regions? Like the snowy one in the mountains and so on. Or if you have a deerling or sawbuck it would adapt to wherever you are?

but there's only 3 sections of Kalos, and 4 seasonal forms of the season deer... also, i think they're actually based on the way deer are in different seasons, which is why they're season themed and it's why Deerling's Japanese, German, French, and Korean names, as well as Sawsbuck's French name, are mentioning the 4 seasons

FloodBadge said:
Nightingirle said:

but there's only 3 sections of Kalos, and 4 seasonal forms of the season deer... also, i think they're actually based on the way deer are in different seasons, which is why they're season themed and it's why Deerling's Japanese, German, French, and Korean names, as well as Sawsbuck's French name, are mentioning the 4 seasons

I'm still thinking it's going to be based on the month, just that the season won't change in game, but they will for Sawsbuck and Deerling, though maybe there will be an area where you can freely choose which form to put them in and they'll stay that way.

FloodBadge said:
Nightingirle said:

Yeah, they are clearly based on seasons, but deer change because of the way seasons change the overall weather, so if there really were to be no seasons I thought that would be a way to still make them work kind of. Also they wouldn't have to use the 3 regions, right? They could just use a mountain, a forest, a coast and some normal grass or something for the different looks.
I have to admit, though, they would work best and as intended only with implemented seasons, maybe they could somehow redo the season system? I really liked the general idea of it :) it would be really cool to see seasonal changes on the battlefields, too.

FloodBadge said:
Nightingirle said:

There's 3 major sections; coastal, centre, and mountains.
But none of those have anything to do with seasons.
However if you look more specifically, there's places for winter on the right, autumn up north, summer with the desert and coast, then spring where the flowers are and maybe general middle section.

Thief said:
FloodBadge said:

However if you look more specifically, there's places for winter on the right, autumn up north, summer with the desert and coast, then spring where the flowers are and maybe general middle section.

you know summer isn't just about heat and water, right? summer is when most plants are at their greenest, at least in most places. Spring is when they start growing again and blooming, but not when they're as amazing as they can be.

FloodBadge said:
Thief said:

you know summer isn't just about heat and water, right? summer is when most plants are at their greenest, at least in most places. Spring is when they start growing again and blooming, but not when they're as amazing as they can be.

Yes I am aware, but we are talking about a fictional place so I'd assume that if they took out seasons, the most obvious (universally typical) more choices for seasonal patterns would be those places for a Pokemon such as Sawsbuck.

When I used to live in the states spring was the time that nature was at its finest. Summer was extremely hot, winter was cold and autumn the leaves fell off and changed colors. It depends where you live.

Thief said:
FloodBadge said:

Yes I am aware, but we are talking about a fictional place so I'd assume that if they took out seasons, the most obvious (universally typical) more choices for seasonal patterns would be those places for a Pokemon such as Sawsbuck.

When I used to live in the states spring was the time that nature was at its finest. Summer was extremely hot, winter was cold and autumn the leaves fell off and changed colors. It depends where you live.

It does depend on where you live, i live in england and we have bad weather most of the year, then great weather for a little while. It's kind of like an extended winter with a bit of spring/summer
although southern/coastal france is famed for it's great weather so I'd imagine coastal kalos to be summery, and the mountainous region of france is quite snowy, and the map kind of reflects that

leecario said:
Thief said:

It does depend on where you live, i live in england and we have bad weather most of the year, then great weather for a little while. It's kind of like an extended winter with a bit of spring/summer
although southern/coastal france is famed for it's great weather so I'd imagine coastal kalos to be summery, and the mountainous region of france is quite snowy, and the map kind of reflects that

I agree and to me personally I'll miss the seasons functions, but they clearly have places for every kind of weather. Though I hope rain and storms could still be possible in certain areas. Obviously there wouldn't be rain in the desert, but you get me.

I spent my first winter in the UK this past season and yes it was like an extended Winter! lol. Summer came for like 3 days for a second and then went back to being cold.

If they're already introducing new types and whatnot...I would like to see them make the weather system deeper.

A past post from me, a bit modified xD

Mitja said:
First of all, moar abilities like SwiftSwim/SandRush for other weathers and types....

And how about "Hail does double damage to Dragons"? (before someone screams fairy type at me; thats not enough. I doubt fairy will become a must-have type, especially on the offensive side..at least not the first gen unless they add some really broken fairy pseudo-legend or something... if its just a few cute fat pink blobs with supporting moves, dragons arent going home yet.)

I still wish they'd add snowfall somehow instead of snow being hazardous hail.

Maybe they could make weathers have 2 levels!
Where level 1 is harmless (boosting/resisting moves) like current RainDance/SunnyDay,
and level 2 is hazardous (dealing dmg after turns), like current Sandstorm/Hail.

Like have RainDance be level1 rain, and level2 being either heavy rainfall, stormy weather or acid rain..
While SunnyDay level2 would be damaging (Fire having immunity obviously)...
etc.

Several ideas in my head right now.. lets see, a revamp of weather in Pokémon (of course unlikely to see changes anywhere so drastic, just doing this for fun):

Weather (types with immunity)

Snowfall (Ice/Water)
Hail (Steel/Ice)
Rain (Water/Electric)
Storm (Electric/Flying)
Sunny (Grass)
Drought (Fire)
Wind (Flying)
Sandstorm (Rock/Ground/Steel)
Acid Rain (Poison)
Night (Dark/Ghost/Bug)
Fog (Ghost)

Did I miss some fun idea? xD

Also, Steel types are way too good.
A weather that makes them run would be interesting. The acid rain idea perhaps? although that sounds like it'd badly affect everything bar poison...

Also, I seriously think they need to nerf the "infinite weather" abilities.
Either make 2 different ones, with the legendaries keeping inifnite ones (or what makes even more sense: as long as the pokemon is on the field!), and regular pokemon setting the weather up like if you used the respective move upon entry (5/8 turns).

Mitja said:
If they're already introducing new types and whatnot...I would like to see them make the weather system deeper.

A past post from me, a bit modified xD

Mitja said:
First of all, moar abilities like SwiftSwim/SandRush for other weathers and types....

And how about "Hail does double damage to Dragons"? (before someone screams fairy type at me; thats not enough. I doubt fairy will become a must-have type, especially on the offensive side..at least not the first gen unless they add some really broken fairy pseudo-legend or something... if its just a few cute fat pink blobs with supporting moves, dragons arent going home yet.)

I still wish they'd add snowfall somehow instead of snow being hazardous hail.

Maybe they could make weathers have 2 levels!
Where level 1 is harmless (boosting/resisting moves) like current RainDance/SunnyDay,
and level 2 is hazardous (dealing dmg after turns), like current Sandstorm/Hail.

Like have RainDance be level1 rain, and level2 being either heavy rainfall, stormy weather or acid rain..
While SunnyDay level2 would be damaging (Fire having immunity obviously)...
etc.

Several ideas in my head right now.. lets see, a revamp of weather in Pokémon (of course unlikely to see changes anywhere so drastic, just doing this for fun):

Weather (types with immunity)

Snowfall (Ice/Water)
Hail (Steel/Ice)
Rain (Water/Electric)
Storm (Electric/Flying)
Sunny (Grass)
Drought (Fire)
Wind (Flying)
Sandstorm (Rock/Ground/Steel)
Acid Rain (Poison)
Night (Dark/Ghost/Bug)
Fog (Ghost)

Did I miss some fun idea? xD

Also, Steel types are way too good.
A weather that makes them run would be interesting. The acid rain idea perhaps? although that sounds like it'd badly affect everything bar poison...

Also, I seriously think they need to nerf the "infinite weather" abilities.
Either make 2 different ones, with the legendaries keeping inifnite ones (or what makes even more sense: as long as the pokemon is on the field!), and regular pokemon setting the weather up like if you used the respective move upon entry (5/8 turns).

acid rain mostly effects metals irl, so the acid rain would probably just up poison-type attacks and damage steel-types over time

I think smog from facilities/etc. would be more believable than acid rain. I think the weather and seasons should have some affect like Fire, Water, and Grass Oath.

Back