Contest November 2021 CaC: Discard Pile (Results Posted!)

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Submission time
Giratina Nov. 2021-Recovered.png
I'm really happy with the way this card turned out, especially when it comes to that art. I have to admit that I was a bit scared of how drawing the reverse/distortion would look, but I think I pulled it off.
For note, the clause about only being able to discard one Pokémon off of the ability despite the "once per turn" already being there is for the event that you find more than one Basic Pokémon in those five cards.

I Like Shorts

Aspiring Trainer
Banette - Psychic - HP90
NO. 354 Marionette Pokémon HT: 3'03" WT: 27.6 lbs

Ability: Jump Scare
Once during your turn, if your opponent has no benched Pokémon, you may
discard all cards attached to their active Pokémon and shuffle it into your opponent's deck.
Your opponent then searches their deck for a basic Pokémon and puts it in their active spot.
Then, shuffle their deck.

[P] [P] [C] Soul Gathering 40x
This attack does 40 damage for each energy in your opponent's discard pile.
Then, attach those energy cards to your opponent's active Pokémon.

Weakness: Darkness
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C] [C]
A doll that became a Pokémon over it's grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that discarded it.

I'm very happy with the way that this card came out. It's the first realistic card I've ever made.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
How do you make it a spoiler?
Like @Vom said. If you want to give it a title, you can do:
Code:
[spoiler=My Entry]*text goes here*[/spoiler]
I've fixed it for you above.

You edited your post a little after you posted it, but I can verify that there were no changes made to the card itself, so in this extenuating circumstance, @PMJ and I have agreed to waive the edit penalty. If you edit the post again, you'll receive the 2-point deduction, but otherwise, you're good. In the future, tag me in a new post and I'll make any necessary spoiler edits for you. :)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
4.5 hours remaining to sign up for this round! If you think you might enter later in the month, make sure to register now!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Sign-ups closed! About three weeks remaining on the clock to submit your entries — we look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Falling Skies

The Traveler
Allow me to present my entry:

Chimecho HP: 70 [P]
Basic
chimecho.png

NO. 358 Wind Chime Pokémon HT: 2' WT: 2.2 lbs.
Ability: Rare Calling
You must discard 2 cards from your hand in order to use this Ability. Once during your turn, you may put a Stage 2 Pokémon from your discard pile onto your Bench. If you have any Pokémon with a Rule Box in play, you can't use this Ability. (Pokémon V, Pokémon-GX, etc. have Rule Boxes.)

[P] Sonic Cycling 20x
Search your deck for up to 3 cards and discard them. Then, shuffle your deck. This attack does 20 damage for each card you discarded in this way.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -30
Retreat: [C]

Its cries echo inside its hollow body to emerge as beautiful notes for startling and repelling foes.

References: Cinccino SW/SH, Rillaboom CRE, Path to the Peak, Battle Compressor

First off, I'd like to state that it wasn't my initial plan to make another psychic, given that psychics and ghosts are pretty obvious applications of this theme. I'd first planned to submit an Archeops, but backed out over playability concerns since you could print "win the game" on a fossil and nobody would play it anyways. So my next best plan was to tackle another completely unviable mechanic, stage 2s.

The biggest problem with stage 2s (and single prizers in general) is the fact that ultra rare basics/VMAXes are just on a completely different power level to them. There's no fixing this without nuking the whole mechanic (if only...) or doing something obscene like blanket protection/stun against them that'd lose me points for believability, so the backup plan is just to make them faster and more consistent. Instead of having to wait a turn and find three specific cards, you can now put any stage 2 into play as early as turn 1 by discarding it with the Ability cost and reviving it. This is obviously a super powerful ability, but I honestly believe there's enough rebalancing factors that would prevent it from tipping the scales:

1) The Rule Box Restriction
2) Chimecho being a 70 HP target in a format without Bench Barrier
3) Chimecho's power being mostly limited by the available stage 2s

The rule box restriction was something the card was built around, due to the prevalence of quick shooter inteleon decks. getting it would still be an option, but much more limited in power without something like RS Urshifu VMAX or Dragapult VMAX to pair it with. You'd have to build your entire deck around it, which was kind of the point to create its own sort of gameplay style. IMO the best candidate right now is probably Charizard VIV or Cinderace SSH, both solid cards that would probably see play in earlier formats. There isn't much that can be done about quick shooter/yoga loop vulnerability, unfortunately, as that's more of a format problem and another huge blow to any single-prize evolving decks. Just hope that a Machoke GRI reprint or equivalent card comes out soon.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
@Nyan has been added to the OP's list of entrants; apparently she was locked out of her account for the last few days of the registration period.

SleepyBoi

Aspiring Trainer
My entry o/:

Blacephalon-EX – [R] – HP160
Basic - EX

[R] Spite Burst: 50x
You may discard as many of your remaining prize cards as you want. This attack does 50 damage for each card you discarded this way. Before doing damage, choose as many cards from your discard pile (except the cards you discarded with this attack), equal to the amount of cards you discarded with this attack. Shuffle them and put them face down in your Prize cards.

[R][R][C] Bright Flame 120
Flip a coin. If tails, discard all Energy attached to this Pokémon.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Pokémon-EX rule: When a Pokémon-EX has been knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Kaleidophoenix

Reborn from the flames of glass and ash
2021_11_CAC_Ultra_Necrozma_V-UNION.png
Ultra Necrozma V-UNION [N] HP 330
V-UNION
How to play a Pokémon V-UNION: Once per game during your turn, combine 4 different Ultra Necrozma V-UNION from your discard pile and put them onto your Bench.

[C] Union Gain
Attach up to 2 [M] Energy cards from your discard pile to this Pokémon.
[P] Photon Trail 80
Draw a card for each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon that shares a type with your opponent's Active Pokémon.
Ability: Neuroforce
When 1 of your Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack from your opponent’s Pokémon, you may attach a [P] Energy card from your discard pile to this Pokémon.
[P][M][C] Searing Prism 140
This attack also does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness or Resistance, or by any effects on any of your opponent’s Pokémon.
Ability: Ultra Brilliance
If your opponent has 2 or fewer Prize cards remaining, this Pokémon's attacks do 40 more damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).
[P][P][M][C] Light of End 300
Discard all [P] Energy from this Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
V-UNION rule: When your Pokémon V-UNION is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.
Hoo boy was this a lot of fun (pain) to make. I did the V-UNION blank from scratch, and I feel okay about it. I might have done some of the cool wall breaking effects, but I was worn out enough as it was making the blank (I'll have the PSD out sometime this month). Maybe next time. Onto the submission!

Pokémon V-UNION present a very interesting design space, and fulfill the requirements of this CaC from mechanics alone, as well as the ubiquitous Union Gain attack, which fetches 2 basic Energy cards from the discard. Picking a Dragon-type meant I had to choose if I was just fetching 1 or both of the Energy types which power it up. I ended up picking to grab just [M], as its Neuroforce Ability fetches [P] Energy, and I didn't want the [M] cost to be left out.

As tempting as it was to go all out with attacks and Abilities, I chose to keep the standard four (but I can imagine a fun card with 12), and give it 2 Abilities, sliding in between Mewtwo and Greninja. I wanted to fulfill the CaC requirements outside of the V-UNION mechanic, and I liked the idea of Ultra Necrozma V-UNION being a late game attacker, and both its Abilities function toward that. Neuroforce benefits from sitting on the Bench while your first couple attackers go down to build up its big attacks, and Ultra Brilliance pays homage to all the Ultra Beast Prize card interactions while giving it a significant powerup, especially for its Searing Prism attack, inspired by the properties of light-splitting prisms, which Necrozma is based on. Light of End is the finisher attack, and I split the difference between Mewtwo and Zacian for its effect and damage, as I wanted a drawback, and if this attack truly is the last of Necrozma's light (signified by its Psychic typing), then all of it should be gone. Photon Trail is Necrozma munching on all the light it can, drawing a card for each Pokémon of the same type on the opponent's Bench that matches the Active.

Overall, I'm quite happy with how this turned out. Using the old star holofoil gave the relatively simple artwork from Salanchu a great sparkle, and I like to imagine that all of those glittering lights are the remnants of stars Necrozma has eaten.
Greninja V-UNION SWSH1155-158 "Attach up to 2 [W] Energy cards from your discard pile to this Pokémon."
Bruxish BUS#38 "This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon that shares a type with your opponent’s Active Pokémon."
Honey CRE#142 "Draw a card for each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon V."
Single Strike Scroll of Piercing CRE154 "This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness or Resistance, or by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokémon."
Lanturn CES#50 "When 1 of your Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an opponent’s attack, you may move a basic Energy card from that Pokémon to this Pokémon."
Kingdra BST#33 "When your Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack from your opponent’s Pokémon, you may move any amount of [W] Energy from that Pokémon to this Pokémon."
Stakataka UNB#106 "If your opponent has 3 or fewer Prize cards remaining, this Pokémon’s maximum HP is 200."

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
put me in for image, chief
Unfortunately sign-ups closed a little over a week ago! :(

In recent months we've been imposing a one-week deadline from the start of the month to register, in an effort to regulate the flow of entries later in the month and make things more manageable for the judges. (You can see the deadline each month near the top of the OP.) It's a fairly lax limit, and we've already waived it a few times for extenuating circumstances, but unfortunately I can't take a new sign-up this late into the month.

Hope to see you again for another round soon!

Mr. Melon

Faking hard or flailing all around the yard.
Unfortunately sign-ups closed a little over a week ago! :(

In recent months we've been imposing a one-week deadline from the start of the month to register, in an effort to regulate the flow of entries later in the month and make things more manageable for the judges. (You can see the deadline each month near the top of the OP.) It's a fairly lax limit, and we've already waived it a few times for extenuating circumstances, but unfortunately I can't take a new sign-up this late into the month.

Hope to see you again for another round soon!
Ah my bad, should have read the spec first.