Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The Fusion Strike product images are out! If you have keen eyes, you may have noticed the products have replaced all references to “Pokemon Trading Card Game Online” with “Pokemon TCG Live.”

Sword-Shield-Fusion-Strike_Checklane_Blister_Back_EN-654x1200-bd93c0f-109x200.jpg

Sword-Shield-Fusion-Strike_3pk_Blister_Back_EN-1306x1200-bd93c0f-200x184.jpg

Sword-Shield-Fusion-Strike_Sleeved_Booster_Wraps_Back_EN-666x1200-bd93c0f-111x200.jpg

Pokemon-TCG-Live-200x174.jpg

This could mean PTCGO is getting renamed to “Pokemon TCG Live,” the app is getting a major upgrade, or TPCi has developed a new app to replace PTCGO. At this point we don’t know.
TCG fans...

Continue reading...

Sombres

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know, the Hoopa and Dragonite boxes don't have that... Can't get too hyped about it, you know? But we can hope, I guess.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Pokemon TCG Alive?
If this comes with a massive update to the out-of-style graphics, I'm pumped. Seems like they plan to advertise it heavily, fingers crossed for a Switch version.
I have been wanting another handheld Pokemon TCG video game for a long time. I thought the 3DS would have been perfect years ago, but something--anything--for the Switch would be fantastic.

I'm not getting my expectations up too high, but at the very least, an updated version of PTCGO on mobile is what I'm actually hoping for. That would certainly make me more interested in playing again, rather than remembering that I have a handful of codes to redeem every few months.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Well, first, obviously, yeah, let's hope we can transfer collections somehow. Other than that, my biggest concern is the model. Even with all its problems, PTCGO has been an incredibly affordable and easy way to play the game. Anyone familiar with MTG Arena knows how bad it can get. Let's hope the economy stays the same regarding codes and trading and the only things they add that directly cost money are cosmetics. (Especially when you live in a country where your currency is worth less than 1/5 of a US dollar, and you have to buy US codes because for some stupid reason our domestic packs come with no guaranteed rare and only 6 cards and therefore the codes are useless for trading in the PTCGO market)

FairyLandAlice

Aspiring Trainer
Well, first, obviously, yeah, let's hope we can transfer collections somehow. Other than that, my biggest concern is the model. Even with all its problems, PTCGO has been an incredibly affordable and easy way to play the game. Anyone familiar with MTG Arena knows how bad it can get. Let's hope the economy stays the same regarding codes and trading and the only things they add that directly cost money are cosmetics. (Especially when you live in a country where your currency is worth less than 1/5 of a US dollar, and you have to buy US codes because for some stupid reason our domestic packs come with no guaranteed rare and only 6 cards and therefore the codes are useless for trading in the PTCGO market)
Really? Where are you from?

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Good grief, finally. Whatever kind of update this is, it should've happened half a decade ago.

That being said, don't go verbally harassing the devs of the game. Not only are most of them not responsible for your problems with the client, but even if they were, that's no reason to be human garbage to them. I wish anyone who went out of their way to attack the staff bad pulls in their packs for years to come.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
> good if it's an overhaul
> horrible if you can't transfer existing collections

Simple as that. I think I'd take a long and serious pause on modern tcg products if you couldn't transfer existing stuff over. Been playing since the BW days on there, so I have a lot of old/cool/fun stuff. It's the only way to play legacy and the easiest way to play highlander formats.

Red-EyesHydreigon

Aspiring Trainer
Finally! It’s been far too long since the last meaningful update. Really hoping they change the collection “system”, if you can call it that. Wouldn’t mind if trading was removed entirely and replaced with more of a crafting system. Or a TCGO store that actually sells singles? (I know I should keep expectations abysmally low, but hey, a man can dream.)

EDIT: I noticed quite a few people are worried about collections not transferring. I would be very surprised if they don’t. Everything on PTCGO should be linked to a Trainer Account and POP-ID.

Last edited:

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm personally not worried about things not transferring - in part because I have the luxury of not being as resource-constrained as many I'm sure, but also because I'm confident Nintendo/Pokémon will come up with a solution. It might not - and honestly, probably will not - be directly giving you the cards in the new client. But it will be something that is fair - maybe a bunch of in-game currency, maybe really generous startup package, maybe even a game that doesn't limit your cards and instead the code cards do something else (unlock play time, unlock tournaments, etc.)

They know where their bread is buttered, and that so many players are kids, so they can't just ignore everyone.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I think they'll allow full transfer if this is a complete replacement. This is Pokemon we're talking about after all. I'm not worried, especially since the collections are already tied to our accounts. Also keep in mind that it's likely that they want to do this for the sake of improving online tournaments more than anything else.

I am so expecting a monetization scheme as bad as Duel Links though.

Ilexon

Aspiring Trainer
I think they'll allow full transfer if this is a complete replacement. This is Pokemon we're talking about after all. I'm not worried, especially since the collections are already tied to our accounts. Also keep in mind that it's likely that they want to do this for the sake of improving online tournaments more than anything else.

I am so expecting a monetization scheme as bad as Duel Links though.
what are duel links?

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
what are duel links?
It's the YuGiOh Mobile/Steam app. It plays a Speed Duel Format (20 card decks, 4000 LPs and Banned/Limited/Semi Limited work differently). Unlike Magic Arena where you can earn packs through points from winning games/completing challenges and also unlike Pokemon where you earn packs through code cards, Duel Links leans very heavily into spending real money to get competitive PvP cards. You can earn them through Gems by completing challenges and leveling up, but they will often offer Premium packs that you can only buy with money.

You can get everything through free to play means, but with how fast YuGiOh Meta moves, you'll always be 20 steps behinds.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Finally! It’s been far too long since the last meaningful update. Really hoping they change the collection “system”, if you can call it that. Wouldn’t mind if trading was removed entirely and replaced with more of a crafting system. Or a TCGO store that actually sells singles? (I know I should keep expectations abysmally low, but hey, a man can dream.)

EDIT: I noticed quite a few people are worried about collections not transferring. I would be very surprised if they don’t. Everything on PTCGO should be linked to a Trainer Account and POP-ID.

God, please no. Go down that road and all of a sudden you're having to spend thousands of dollars every set release to have more than a single top tier deck assembled. Yikes. I stopped playing Magic altogether back then because Arena is so unbelievably predatory and that was the only way I played Magic. The same is true for Pokémon, in paper I only buy the occasional Batle Arena/League Deck type stuff so I can have some half-decent decks to play against each other with my wife, everything else, Standard, Expanded, Legacy, I only can afford to play that online, and precisely because the current model is so fair and easy to work with. The one thing I will absolutely fight over is precisely the codes/trade dynamic that currently exists on PTCGO, that is the single most important quality of the client right now and I dread the day it starts becoming anything like Arena or all the other predatory and whale hunting s*** out there.