'Evolving Skies,' August's English TCG Set!

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
A Grass Weakness on a Dark/Flying type... riiiiight

Only in the Pokémon TCG is a shadowy phoenix torn apart by blades of grass and caterpillars

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Galarian Moltres - at least Moltres isn't limited to 1 copy and discarded when KOed, and also can be picked up with Scoop Up Net to get 4 energy around the field. Nice card, might see some play. 4-5

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer

Only in the Pokémon TCG is a shadowy phoenix torn apart by blades of grass and caterpillars

You people have to let it go already. For the millionth time, the types and weaknesses overhaul was good for the game and that's what matters most, flavor is secondary. Plus, it's been 25 years dealing with "fighting" Onixes, "psychic" Muks, etc, it wouldn't be the first time we make concessions on the flavor front in favor of the mechanical front. Get over yourselves.

Flash~ZT0

Aspiring Trainer
You people have to let it go already. For the millionth time, the types and weaknesses overhaul was good for the game and that's what matters most, flavor is secondary. Plus, it's been 25 years dealing with "fighting" Onixes, "psychic" Muks, etc, it wouldn't be the first time we make concessions on the flavor front in favor of the mechanical front. Get over yourselves.
I’m gonna have to disagree with ya on that one. I don’t like this oversimplification of the tcg’s types and weaknesses because I feel it dumbs down the game. A part of the fun was having pokemon with the same type but multiple weaknesses to cover each other. Back in XY you could run Gyarados (Lightning weak) and Keldeo-EX (Grass weak) and that way you wouldn’t be stuck being weak exclusively to one type. Its a very small but meaningful change to not only remove fairy, but also weaknesses to dark, steel, and fairy (by proxy). It also makes dark and steel in the same boat as dragon in the sense that they no longer hit for weaknesses, except theyre weak to other types and dragon is now weak to nothing.
Basically I see the change as laziness for no good reason, just like a lot of TPCi’s decisions lately

Edit: I’m not saying add every type to the game, but there was no reason to move poison to dark and fairy to psychic. I still think it’s really dumb, and flying type pokemon should keep their lightning weakness similar to how ghosts should be dark weak and ice types should be metal weak.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I’m gonna have to disagree with ya on that one. I don’t like this oversimplification of the tcg’s types and weaknesses because I feel it dumbs down the game. A part of the fun was having pokemon with the same type but multiple weaknesses to cover each other. Back in XY you could run Gyarados (Lightning weak) and Keldeo-EX (Grass weak) and that way you wouldn’t be stuck being weak exclusively to one type. Its a very small but meaningful change to not only remove fairy, but also weaknesses to dark, steel, and fairy (by proxy). It also makes dark and steel in the same boat as dragon in the sense that they no longer hit for weaknesses, except theyre weak to other types and dragon is now weak to nothing.
Basically I see the change as laziness for no good reason, just like a lot of TPCi’s decisions lately

Edit: I’m not saying add every type to the game, but there was no reason to move poison to dark and fairy to psychic. I still think it’s really dumb, and flying type pokemon should keep their lightning weakness similar to how ghosts should be dark weak and ice types should be metal weak.
Darkness hits true Psychic and Ghost types for weakness, and Metal hits true Fairy and Ice types for weakness. That's actually a big part of why Shadow Rider works well with Alcremie.

Honestly it kinda sounds like you left the game after the changes and stopped paying attention when half of your points are wrong.

The_Rayquaza_Guy

Aspiring Trainer
So this is like the upgraded version of Dubwool V. Cause both of them deal 270 max damage and this guy can literally charge itself up using ability and a manual attachment. It is searchable with Piers.

I'm actually really excited about Galarian Zapdos regular card.
Also, Galarian Articuno will be another setup tech I guess!

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I think he’s just laughing at the irony. Or perhaps not. At any rate, your point is more than just valid, but I still think that some of the ironies of this system flavor-wise are AMUSING. Some people find them annoying, some have a good taste for irony, and some couldn’t care a flying Rattata about it. I happen to belong to the second category.

Also, in favor of Dragon types having no weakness, it makes sense in a way. Dragon is basically Colorless, but you have to play two different types of basic Energy. Therefore, you need to be given extra incentive to play it, and being the only type weak to Fairy, or the fact that mirror matches took half as long as mirror matches for any other type (except some Psychic mirror matches), leaving more margin for error, wasn’t working. Double Dragon Energy was a good incentive, but I’m genuinely scared of what Double Dragon Energy would do in the current Standard Format. Giving these Pokémon no weakness seems like a logical choice from a balancing perspective.

Last edited:

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Sweet bananas, I didn't mean to start an argument about type and weakness in the TCG. I have no problem whatsoever with it gameplay wise, I too am glad that I don't have to memorize which Water types are weak to Grass or Lightning or Metal. I also think Fairy moving over to Psychic was fine if it meant that each of the 8 types could become more interesting (which didn't really happen, but... oh well). Yes, having 18 different types in ANY card game would be a disaster.

It's just kind of goofy to see a hulking Swampert that's susceptible to being munched on by a Joltik, or a tiny little Deino that literally cannot be hit for Weakness by anything. I thought it was kind of obvious that I wasn't making any kind of serious criticism

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer

Don't also forget that in this world, Mewtwo, "The World's Strongest Pokémon", is weak (or rather was weak) to Garbodor.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Sweet bananas, I didn't mean to start an argument about type and weakness in the TCG. I have no problem whatsoever with it gameplay wise, I too am glad that I don't have to memorize which Water types are weak to Grass or Lightning or Metal. I also think Fairy moving over to Psychic was fine if it meant that each of the 8 types could become more interesting (which didn't really happen, but... oh well). Yes, having 18 different types in ANY card game would be a disaster.

It's just kind of goofy to see a hulking Swampert that's susceptible to being munched on by a Joltik, or a tiny little Deino that literally cannot be hit for Weakness by anything. I thought it was kind of obvious that I wasn't making any kind of serious criticism
As I said, some people just find it amusing. Still, I think we got some value out of this discussion.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Don't also forget that in this world, Mewtwo, "The World's Strongest Pokémon", is weak (or rather was weak) to Garbodor.

Mewtwo is still weak to Garbodor, since pure psychic weakness changed to Dark and Poison changed to Dark. But yeah, especially since Garbodor has a lot of good cards, I adore this (probably not intentional) design.

Somewhere, on a dusty playground, a boastful, seemingly unbeatable kiddy and his Mewtwo V-Union are going to be shattered by the quiet kid's VIV Garbodor. That's beautiful, in a way.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer

Yeah...now I see it. I'm letting the annoyance of seeing too many whiny comments get to me, making me angry and clouding my judgement, I'm very sorry.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
From my perspective having played the TCG competitively for eight years, it is not a positive change. Type rearranging and the elimination of fairy types is positive from a competitive perspective, but ignoring dual typings all together in weakness and resistance makes the TCG even more rock-paper-scizors than before. Being able to diversify weaknesses is a huge positive for deck building. If all dual types only had the weakness and resistance of their secondary type, there would be a lot more creativity and less of decks autolosing to their one weakness.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Mewtwo is still weak to Garbodor, since pure psychic weakness changed to Dark and Poison changed to Dark. But yeah, especially since Garbodor has a lot of good cards, I adore this (probably not intentional) design.

Somewhere, on a dusty playground, a boastful, seemingly unbeatable kiddy and his Mewtwo V-Union are going to be shattered by the quiet kid's VIV Garbodor. That's beautiful, in a way.

the tcg pretty much singlehandedly convinced me that garbodor was not a crap design. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Now trubbish is one of my favorite pokemon.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
I'm whatever with weakness because its never consistent for probably years already, but I'd appreciate it if they start streamlining resistances. Can't really understand why some have a -30 (formerly -20) modifier and some don't.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
the tcg pretty much singlehandedly convinced me that garbodor was not a crap design. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Now trubbish is one of my favorite pokemon.

Same here, for sure. First time I ever laid eyes on Garb I was like "they can't be serious". And now I just love it for the tongue-in-cheek, purposefully silly, and amazing design that it is.