'Battle Style' is March's Set, Introduces New Single Strike and Rapid Strike Cards!

jamestajames

Aspiring Trainer
Cherrim implies that we will get good non-Rule Box Pokemon to accelerate to. But we all know that ain’t happenin.

Huk

Aspiring Trainer
Is there a mistranslation in the Ability on Mimikyu V? You have to play Mimikyu V on the Bench to prevent damage done to it, but effects are removed when Benched, right?

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Delelelewhoop V - Actually, this ability is amazing. Another option for draw engine. It acts like Oranguru SM, but it's better than we don't have. And the RC is really doable for Pokémon that needs to be in the active. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Cherrim - here. Another support for single-prized mon. Until it throws itself in Expanded, bcoz it doesn't help Rule Box mons. Is it better than Rillaboom? Depends on the context. If you run a deck who wants to land huge dmg, but probs on looping like Rillaboom VMAX, run Rillaboom. If pure Grass type gimmicks, run Cherrim since it's a Stage 1. 4
  • Victini V/VMAX - on the V, use the SWSH one. On the VMAX, 220 on a Welder, why not? 3/4
  • Tapu Koko V - just use the one with free retreat, the V here is too situational, that the opponent can counter it. But the VMAX gives you infinite paralysis, as long you use like Electrode. Good for stalling time for setup or some stuff. 3/4
  • Mimikyu V -
    Is there a mistranslation in the Ability on Mimikyu V? You have to play Mimikyu V on the Bench to prevent damage done to it, but effects are removed when Benched, right?
    Assume that you'll gust this thing to take prizes. Since it has 160 HP. Other than that, ehh. 3
  • Primeape - Does more damage for 1 energy, what I mean 1 energy, I mean 1 SS energy and Karate Belt. Maybe doing like 300-400+ dmg, on the standard part is like 150+ 3-4
  • Falinks - the goodness of the card depends on the RS mons that will release this year. 120 for a RS energy, pretty basic for a single-prized mon. 3
  • Bronzong - another perk for Zacian ADP bois. No more Energy Switch. Bronzong TUP was teched on a Zacian ADP that won PC1 months ago. If you still running that deck with some changes, consider this. On other Metal decks, this is like the Metal Quagsire. 4
  • Escape Rope and Exp. Share - pretty good cards that are timely need for the reprint on the current meta. Again, Zacian ADP.
  • Tool Jammer - this turns off cards like Air Balloon, which helps to retreat Crobat V for free, or Metal Goggles, so that you can pulp Zamazenta V. Ironically, this turns off or I should say, Knocks Off by Tool Scrapper. 3-4
  • Korrina's Motivation - another good draw option. Will this be good over Marnie and Research? Probably not. But this is the pure draw card that we need. 4-5
  • Phoebe - Eternatus must run 1 copy of this for Zamazenta matchup. 4
  • Bruno - not as good as Rosa or Teammates for the card with requisites, but another draw option. 4
  • Cheryl - can pull some combos, if you run an evo deck, on Vmax, Yes. But on regulars, nah. Single-prized Stage 2s are pretty obliterated by today's meta. 3

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Of all the Pokemon Kricketune got a V card, and I could not be happier! I love the randomness of the mons they choose for V cards! :D

Also that Mimikyu is one of the scariest Mimikyu cards ever, it looks very creepy to me haha

Falling Skies

The Traveler
I can't see many of these cards being good in the current metagame, but they're all very cool and unique cards with potential applications. It's nice, and I hope the rest of the set is like this.

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
How to Turn 1 this?
T1 can't hit 350, but it can hit 290, with Dojo and Band adding 10, and energy adding 20. Theoretically, you use Mustard to get out the Primeape. You also need a full bench with damage on it, which means that unless we get something to spread a counter to your own board like a COE Weezing does, T1 at this damage level is infeasible. T2 is more reasonable, though, especially since you can Mustard again for Emboar, and 320 on T2, OHKOing every relevant mon outside of Urshifu VMAX and Coalossal VMAX thanks to weakness.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Cheryl is pretty dang stupid in combination with Bronzong on Metal decks. I hope that the format doesn't get more energy trans mons, I was praying we wouldn't get any consistent healing but they really went and printed that...

Kricketune is ok, but really? This effect was previously printed on Oranguru from SM. Are they trying to kill off any good utility single-prizers may have?

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
Of all the Pokemon Kricketune got a V card, and I could not be happier! I love the randomness of the mons they choose for V cards! :D

Also that Mimikyu is one of the scariest Mimikyu cards ever, it looks very creepy to me haha

See, I feel the complete opposite. When I saw Luxray and Zeraora were in the set I thought they could have had a V/VMAX. But not .. let's give Tapu Koko (and Victini) another V (it's second and we're not even half way through the gen). So disappointing.

Platinum Espresso

Falinks Fanatic
New Falinks card!!! This set is neat

Oh in terms of meta? 180 for a rapid stike energy on a 1 prize in expanded with sky field isn't too bad. Mediocre in standard, though.

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
See, I feel the complete opposite. When I saw Luxray and Zeraora were in the set I thought they could have had a V/VMAX. But not .. let's give Tapu Koko (and Victini) another V (it's second and we're not even half way through the gen). So disappointing.
I was referring specifically to the randomness of Kricketune haha, I'm not the biggest fan of yet another Koko and Victini V repeats either.

Kaizaac

Aspiring Trainer
Hot take: Cherrim will be a prerelease promo for Battle Styles (and maybe Bronzong as well, but I feel that Cherrim is more likely.

The Fish

0.o
But hey, at least the art is stunning. Also it means you have the option to use either Koko/Victini Vs to evolve into the Vmax. The new Koko could end up being better than the one we have now if Venasaur Vmax ever becomes good.

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
T1 can't hit 350, but it can hit 290, with Dojo and Band adding 10, and energy adding 20. Theoretically, you use Mustard to get out the Primeape. You also need a full bench with damage on it, which means that unless we get something to spread a counter to your own board like a COE Weezing does, T1 at this damage level is infeasible. T2 is more reasonable, though, especially since you can Mustard again for Emboar, and 320 on T2, OHKOing every relevant mon outside of Urshifu VMAX and Coalossal VMAX thanks to weakness.

I feel like Donphan that does 20 to your bench fits here?

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Imagine combining Primape with Domphan from VIV (or perhaps with Donphan Prime in unlimited format).
I can see it now... Excadrill plus Donphan plus Primeape. Probably not the meta-dominating deck I’m imagining it to be, but who knows? At any rate it has potential.

Also, I actually thought that Mimikyu was the cutest ever! It’s just a lonely little guy impersonating Pikachu in order to make friends, hanging out by some flowers in order to get a hug! Isn’t that right, Mimikyu? ;)
And yes, Cheryl is going to be busted with decks like Dragapult VMAX (assuming people still use it anymore?), and given the low HP and OHKOness of single prize evolutions I doubt it will help much. Still it’s worth a try.

Wait, there aren’t any flowers. Those are bricks. My mistake.
Still think it just looks like it needs a hug.

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
These look great. Kricketune is a buffed Oranguru from SUM and Cherrim is like a better but also worse Frosmoth. Here comes the Marcactus and Cherrim decks!