'Shiny Star V' Announced for November, Plus Blastoise and Venusaur VMAX!

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
These actually aren't bad. Koffing lets you have a Weezing on Turn 1 (presumably the Detention Gas one). Rotom lets you get two Rotom phones. While they probably won't win any tournaments, they at least look fun to play.

But, are these cards only going to be available as shiny, or will Shiny Star V contain their regular forms? I'd hate to come up with a fun deck, only to realize one of its main pieces is extremely rare and collectible.

ccearleyart

Aspiring Trainer
These actually aren't bad. Koffing lets you have a Weezing on Turn 1 (presumably the Detention Gas one). Rotom lets you get two Rotom phones. While they probably won't win any tournaments, they at least look fun to play.

But, are these cards only going to be available as shiny, or will Shiny Star V contain their regular forms? I'd hate to come up with a fun deck, only to realize one of its main pieces is extremely rare and collectible.

only problem is the darkness energy for this koffing. detention gas weezing normally plays dce/ counter energy.

works great for galarian weezing, being able to shut off abilities turn 1. they would have to use a boss if they want to continue there set up

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
only problem is the darkness energy for this koffing. detention gas weezing normally plays dce/ counter energy.
Both of these are rotated, though DCE did come back as Twin Energy. I think it's worth it to get that first tick of damage on Turn 1, and then continue evolving your benched Koffings. I'm genuinely curious how I'd fare against ADPZ, which usually runs only big basics (and is a bit slow, at least for this format). If it's a good match-up, then it might be genuinely good.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.

Hmm. I never thought about this. I thought that the shiny secret rares would all be unique cards, but the idea that they would simply be shiny-art clones of the regular cards in the set makes a lot more sense...

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Koffing - Turn 1 Ability Lock, oh boi. 3-4
  • Rotom - That makes a turn 1 Rotom Bike. 3

Also, they release the regular versions of the cards as well. So we still get the Rotom and the likes of Thwackey in SM5 as a regular card.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Hm, very interesting. Besides the ability lock Weezing the spread one could also benefit from this as well. 1 damage counter every where a turn early.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Both Dittos look nice,especially since the VMAX one has the same attack as Mega Gengar.
The Amazing Rares are pretty broken but is difficult to charge them up.
Imagine charging up Yveltal at the max and Knocking Out every Pokèmon of your Opponent...

jo94

Gen 3 lover
The only viable amazing rare is kyogre with ADP, but the attack is not that great. If you manage to charge one kyogre than you can swipe off your opponent with caturday espurr, i'll try to make a deck out of it

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Reshiram gonna be real easy to set up
welder koko attach

Yeah, sure, what about the Darkness energy?

All in all these cards could be fun in the right deck, but their costs are way too high for them to be anything except gimmicks. A shame multi prizers will keep dominating the format.

Ilexon

Aspiring Trainer
Amazing rares are returning? I’m confused now why weren’t there any in shocking volt tackle, maybe they are only in special sets

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Ditto V?! I’ll take 20.

Also glad that there’s going to be more Amazing Rares. I quite liked those and it’d have been a bummer if they just relegated that cool feature to six Pokémon in a single set-something about just the six of them didn’t feel “complete” to me.

Galar Aviad

Aspiring Trainer
Now , those are good looking Amazing Rares! Makes me want to get them. If only there was a normal mail service from Japan :(

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Wow! A rectangular-shaped box lid on that Shiny Crobat V Box! What a novel concept.
(Snark about our ETB's aside, I do actually like how this looks.)

And I'm glad to see Amazing Rares come back!

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Ditto V/ VMAX - Ditto V itself is awesome. It gives your opponent a surprise factor on what deck are you playing because you play Ditto. That's it. I don't see any use for it, maybe on a Centiskorch VMAX deck wherein, you swap it into Centiskorch V then VMAX to smash damage, I think. VMAX, eh. Except it can use Triple Axel. 4/3-4
  • Crobat VMAX - Just a plain Pokemon V card, with a very unsurprising attacks, eh. Just play Crobat V for a consistent ability. 3 Geodudes
  • Kyogre AR - I thought we're done with these ARs, secondly, we expect to see these in SWSH5 set. Anyways, on Kyogre, how do we this atk cost, sure Turbo Patch can be handy, but its on a coin flip so you expect to hit 1-2 times. Trumbeak can be helpful, but what if one of the energy found there wasn't the energy that we need? Aurora Energy, how do we get the energy back? We have no ways to recover special energy. 3-4
  • Reshiram AR - KOs Tag Teams for single energy, but how could be pull the three energy atk? 3
  • Yveltal AR - The attack will be translated as "Amazing Knockout" or "Amazing Doom" (bcoz the given trans sounds violent to the kid's game, no offense to the translators, I know they did a good job). Okay, we have a CC so means, Twin Energy but how about R, P, and D? 3