General Neko's Moth-Watching Thread

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
These are all so beautiful! You have a true knack for nature photography! I love looking at all these moths in their perfect lighting and depth of field, so much so that I might even get out and snap a few pictures! Amazing job!
Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoy them! Please share if you find any moths/moth caterpillars!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Profile view of a Virginia Creeper Sphinx Moth:

jRa14aM.jpg

I also spotted my ittiest bittiest bagworm yet (I'm guessing early instar):

ebTZVN9.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
My flashiest caterpillar so far this year: the Powdered Dagger Moth caterpillar!

1CmuqzI.jpg
V7H0oWx.jpg

Really hoping that the tiny insect and pellet on its back (seen in pic #1) aren't parasitic. I didn't see either on it today (when I took pic #2).

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Wish I could've captured the pink hues better before it flew away, but I'd been waiting for a Pink-Shaded Fern Moth! :D

QBt5Pmh.jpg

Sycamore Webworm Moth
ieE8yTB.jpg

Redbud Leaffolder Moth
IwTaa1u.jpg

Walnut Shoot Moth
314XSBv.jpg

Black-Dotted Glyph
6QslABM.jpg

Pitch Twig Moth
EiolgH8.jpg

Filbertworm Moth—check out those metallic bands!
3djmK2p.jpg

Another Xanthotype-genus moth, possibly the Attentive Crocus Soldier Moth
QPXMcFD.jpg

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
These new pictures are some of my favourite yet! I love the Pitch Twig Moth and the Walnut Shoot Moth, but the Professor Sycamore Webworm Moth really speaks to me.

Also, great quality on the images, what camera do you use?

EDIT: Found this beauty today, a Gypsy Moth Caterpillar! It has blue spots and red spots on its spine.

(Hang on, how do you share files from a photo gallery? I want to post this beautiful caterpillar. Maybe I should do it from Google Drive?

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
These new pictures are some of my favourite yet! I love the Pitch Twig Moth and the Walnut Shoot Moth, but the Professor Sycamore Webworm Moth really speaks to me.

Also, great quality on the images, what camera do you use?

EDIT: Found this beauty today, a Gypsy Moth Caterpillar! It has blue spots and red spots on its spine.

(Hang on, how do you share files from a photo gallery? I want to post this beautiful caterpillar. Maybe I should do it from Google Drive?
I use a FujiFilm FinePix S4500, usually on Auto: Macro (with flash) at night or Auto: Super Macro or Shutter Priority: Macro (with +1/3 flash) during the day. Granted, if you're wanting to get into macro photography, there are other cameras better suited for it.

I share mine via Imgur.

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
I use a FujiFilm FinePix S4500, usually on Auto: Macro (with flash) at night or Auto: Super Macro or Shutter Priority: Macro (with +1/3 flash) during the day. Granted, if you're wanting to get into macro photography, there are other cameras better suited for it.

I share mine via Imgur.
Thanks for the camera advice! I've uploaded two pictures, but I'm not sure what the second moth is.

https://imgur.com/a/ya09t1A
Found this beauty today, a Gypsy Moth Caterpillar! It has blue and red spots on its spine. (Fun Fact: The adult females cannot fly, even though they have wings!)

https://imgur.com/a/bDaVBGL
Now, I'm not sure what species this fine specimen is, but maybe somebody could help me out. (It may be a Gypsy Moth, but that would be a drastic colour change.)

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Thanks for the camera advice! I've uploaded two pictures, but I'm not sure what the second moth is.

https://imgur.com/a/ya09t1A
Found this beauty today, a Gypsy Moth Caterpillar! It has blue and red spots on its spine. (Fun Fact: The adult females cannot fly, even though they have wings!)

https://imgur.com/a/bDaVBGL
Now, I'm not sure what species this fine specimen is, but maybe somebody could help me out. (It may be a Gypsy Moth, but that would be a drastic colour change.)

Gypsy moth caterpillars are neat for sure! I've never seen one in-person, but I did base one of my old Fakemon on vague memories of one I saw in a book as a kid. (Too bad they're invasive and often killed en masse. I personally feel bad even when I accidentally squish a mosquito scratching an itch, so I wouldn't be able to kill them if I found any. In fact, actually saw an Emerald Ash Borer the other day, a highly destructive beetle, but I couldn't help but just admire its beauty. Where are the Beast Balls when you need 'em?)

Your adult moth looks like a sphinx of some kind, but I'm not sure which.

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
National Moth Week is upon us!

I didn't get anything last night/this morning, but here are my July newbies so far:

Nason's Slug Moth
cozl8HE.jpg

Purple-Crested Slug Moth
bzZ0CAJ.jpg

Don't bother trying to find purple hues on the adult moth—only the slug-like caterpillar has them.

Peachtree Borer Moth (female)
Hv9CElP.jpg

Males have clear wings and a different abdominal pattern, but both genders resemble wasps

A lightly marked Oystershell Metrea Moth
n9Du9cP.jpg

And probably my favorite newbie this month...

ZPCZr5L.jpg

The Spun Glass Slug Moth. This tiny, fluffy moth's caterpillar looks like it's made of ice crystals!

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
My favorite newbie so far from National Moth Week 2020: the Moonseed Moth!

31isoFb.jpg

The dark lines on this species may appear purple or bluish with pink rimming depending on the angle/lighting.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
National Moth Week is almost over! Here are two more newbies:

Curve-Lined Argyria
ywx7zCI.jpg

Southern Tussock Moth
nrDeL28.jpg

This guy seems to have subtle rainbowy hues.

EDIT: And to wrap up National Moth week, here's my final newbie: Variegated Midget

hok01lV.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Whoops! I wrapped up Moth Week a day early (it's apparently an 8-day week). Anywho, here's a montage of all the species I photographed over the course of MW2020:

UdwTtKC.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
A few more newbies:

One of the Idaea species, I think; maybe Kendall's Wave

ZSMVVF9.jpg

Feather-Edged Petrophila Moth. Their larvae are aquatic!

KkEH2mq.jpg

Red-Streaked Mompha Moth, aka Primrose Mompha

UV4At3e.jpg

And the first Zale I've seen away from my decklight. I'm thinking Maple Zale since it seemed smaller than the Colorful Zales I tend to see.

2VpXsxu.jpg

And some repeats:

Better pic of the Small Mossy Glyph. See the #80?

4jbvZCD.jpg

A young Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar alongside an even younger Spiny Oak-Slug caterpillar:

raUCWLC.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Found a very cool newbie: Ironweed Clearwing, a very convincing wasp mimic!

ink17Nx.jpg

Silver-Bordered Aethes
AVWgNHw.jpg

Black-Blotched Prominent caterpillar
4mWPA10.jpg

Possibly Hahncappsia mancalis
i0XOqd0.jpg

Black-Marked Inga Moth
rL7DYA8.jpg

Camouflaged Looper, caterpillar of the Wavy-Lined Emerald
oezAZxt.jpg

Maple Dagger caterpillar
5OkIAfK.jpg

Last edited:

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
It's good to see your excitement over moths, Neko! I'm assuming all these live around your area or do you like to go and seek them out?

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
It's good to see your excitement over moths, Neko! I'm assuming all these live around your area or do you like to go and seek them out?
Yep, all of my moth/caterpillar photos are from around my home.

Found another pretty cool caterpillar today, belonging to the Wavy-Lined Heterocampa

pz1juHh.jpg
2GvjwEX.jpg

EDIT: Got this Splendid Dagger last night. Love those green highlights!

4ZFiyCX.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Another Wavy-Lined Heterocampa caterpillar, like my previous post. Earlier instars have antlers!

7Idm3Fd.jpg

Also, I forgot to post this Unicorn Caterpillar. Like the related and nearly identical Morning Glory Prominent caterpillar (aka False Unicorn Caterpillar), this caterpillar mimics the appearance of curled, drying leaves. Members of this genus can spray acid from their hump!

PThKfle.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
My two favorite colors to see on moths: green and pink!

Three-Lined Flower Moth
gAWTgpr.jpg

Pink-Patched Looper Moth, aka Pink-Tinted Beauty
qBPxEJH.jpg