General Neko's Moth-Watching Thread

Discussion in 'Beachfront Hangout' started by Nekoban Ryo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Just some small guys:

Olive-Shaded Bird-Dropping Moth
    [​IMG]

Pale Gray Bird-Dropping Moth or Schlaeger's Fruitworm Moth (impossible to distinguish by photos)
    [​IMG]

Labyrinth Moth
    [​IMG]

Yellow-Winged Oak Leafroller Moth
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019

2. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

It's been a while since I've gotten anything so flashy. Introducing... the Gold Moth! I also got a later-instar Virginia Creeper Hornworm (early instar on previous page).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Variable Oakleaf Caterpillar
    [​IMG]

The markings on these caterpillars are highly variable!

Black-Banded Owlet
    [​IMG]

Black-Barred Brown
    [​IMG]

This one wasn't a newbie, but it looks like I neglected to add the Baltimore Snout to the list.
    [​IMG]

White form of the Spotted Apatelodes (dragon moth) caterpillar. Look at those cute red feet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  3. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Green Cutworm Moth
    [​IMG]

Ragweed Flower Moth
    [​IMG]

Diasemiodes janassialis
    [​IMG]

Julia's Dicymolomia Moth
    [​IMG]

It's cute, but I can't help but have a small grudge against this species since they prey on bagworms.

Better pic of a later-instar Black-Waved Flannel Moth caterpillar
    [​IMG]

If you see one of these, don't pet it—those hairs are laced with venom!

Hibiscus Leaf Caterpillar Moth
    [​IMG]

4. Merovingian Expanded Extraordinaire
    Merovingian

Articles Head Member

5. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

That's a Luna, one of the giant silkmoths. Looks like it's had a rough time!

Merovingian likes this.
  6. Merovingian Expanded Extraordinaire
    Merovingian

Articles Head Member

Yeah, our part of Texas is super unforgiving lately. Thought it’d be cool to show the kids, then immediately remembered a moth thread that existed here. Had to show it and ask what it was!

I need to look over the whole thread again, it’s been quite a while and always a fun read.

Thanks for the quick response!

Nekoban Ryo likes this.
  7. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

A couple newbies: a Tobacco Budworm Moth (a greenie!) and a Yellow-Necked Caterpillar

[​IMG] [​IMG]

NP! I hope you learn something! :D

8. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Black Bit Moth showing some subtle colorful highlights and a later instar Snowberry Clearwing caterpillar/hornworm:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

A new slug caterpillar! Spiny Oak-Slug, one of the many stinging slug caterpillars.

[​IMG]

I also reorganized the main list on the first page and plan to add more caterpillars to it later. I was thinking about changing the spoilers to links to fit the entire list in one post (assuming posts don't have a link limit) and make the page load faster, though. What do you think? It might also fix the broken image problems.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Finally!

Last week I found my first Evergreen Bagworm case of the year but, because it seemed so bare, I wondered if it might've been left over from last year. Looks like it was from this year after all—I found a male visiting it this evening! I've been wanting to get a photo of one for a while. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With its charcoal coloring and clear wings, the Evergreen Bagworm Moth almost looks more like a hairy fly than a moth. As a caterpillar, it carries with it a case—or "bag"—of silk and plant debris that it uses as camouflage. The bag may resemble a pine cone of sorts. The caterpillar eventually pupates inside this bag, but will only emerge if male. Males have a long, accordion-like abdomen used for reaching into the cases of flightless, worm-like females for mating.

A few more recent finds: Brown Angle Shades, Brown-Hooded Owlet caterpillar, and Boxwood Leaftier Moth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Nekoban Ryo Schizoid Manchild
    Nekoban Ryo

Remember that Gold Moth from post #142? Here's its caterpillar!

[​IMG]

And here's a newbie: the Trumpet Vine Moth. What a silhouette!

[​IMG]

I also just finished replacing the spoilered images on the first page with links. Not only does everything fit in the first post now, but it should make page-loading faster and solve the issue with broken images. (Again, you can click on my Facebook album link above the list for easier browsing.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Anime Psyclone likes this.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

GrandPanacea, Juliacoolo, Tails