Lucario V from 'V Starter Decks' Revealed, Hints of the Other Eight Pokemon V!

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
I rather use Garbodor as an option. It poisons the opponent as a bench-sitter. Expect on Turn 2, your bench is full at that state. Its very rare that their bench was full on turns 3,4, or even 5. Turn 2 270 dmg
For Eternatus, the poison from Garbodor won't help much. 4-0-1/4-0-2 Obstagoon line with a couple candies is going to help out the damage more as well as give you a couple free wins against basic-only decks. And you'll find that it's not easy to get 8 Pokémon on your bench turn two, nor do you need to in most cases.
As for Toxitricity, ideally Garbodor would be the bench sitter, but in reality it's not that easy to set up a stage one on the bench by turn 2 while also attaching an energy every turn. Garbodor will still be played in many Toxitricity lists, but a backup like this is very good.
If this has a 2 retreat cost so it works with air balloon, it's equally as good as Garbodor. It's not easy to setup a stage one right away every game while needing to attach every turn and not being able to play a supporter on turn one in half the games you play. This card can be grabbed whenever by a simple Quick Ball and can turn a switch into a Hypnotoxic Laser. I'd argue that it's significantly better than Garbodor.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
If this has a 2 retreat cost so it works with air balloon, it's equally as good as Garbodor. It's not easy to setup a stage one right away every game while needing to attach every turn and not being able to play a supporter on turn one in half the games you play. This card can be grabbed whenever by a simple Quick Ball and can turn a switch into a Hypnotoxic Laser. I'd argue that it's significantly better than Garbodor.
It's not just retreating G.Slowpoke but moving it to the active. Every time you need to poison you need to move G.Slowpoke from bench to the active and then retreat it so you can attack with Toxitricity VMAX. A single Air Balloon alone doesn't cover that you need to also run switch cards which means that G.Slowpoke is more investment then Garbador for the same result. And setting up up a stage 1 may not be as easy as a basic but it certainly isn't hard with all the Pokemon search out there I mean Toxitricity decks can do it right now without issue and it will get easier with new cards like Piers

Last edited:

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
It's not just retreating G.Slowpoke but moving it to the active. Every time you need to poison you need to move G.Slowpoke from bench to the active and then retreat it so you can attack with Toxitricity VMAX. A single Air Balloon alone doesn't cover that you need to also run switch cards which means that G.Slowpoke is more investment then Garbador for the same result. And setting up up a stage 1 may not be as easy as a basic but it certainly isn't hard with all the Pokemon search out there I mean Toxitricity decks can do it right now without issue and it will get easier with new cards like Piers

Switch cards are hardly an investment when most decks already run 3x-4x thanks to how speedy the format is, and how game-breaking it is to stick something in active that can't attack or retreat in a single turn. Galarian Slowbro also synergizes incredibly well for Eternatus as a simple pivot after your opponent grabs a KO, and what a lot of people miss is the existence of Hide Darkness Energy. Garbodor requires 3 cards for the poison - stadium, trubbish and then the garbodor - and decks like Eternatus need as much speed as they can, something that a stage 1 like Garbodor can't provide, unlike Weavile that has an additional energy accel option that doesn't get rid of your entire hand like Rose, and also synergyzes with using Hide Darkness Energy with a pivot like this - as you can simply retreat and then re-attach to Eternatus -and Obstagoon that provides additional damage counters or hand control for matches like mill.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Switch cards are hardly an investment when most decks already run 3x-4x thanks to how speedy the format is, and how game-breaking it is to stick something in active that can't attack or retreat in a single turn. Galarian Slowbro also synergizes incredibly well for Eternatus as a simple pivot after your opponent grabs a KO, and what a lot of people miss is the existence of Hide Darkness Energy. Garbodor requires 3 cards for the poison - stadium, trubbish and then the garbodor - and decks like Eternatus need as much speed as they can, something that a stage 1 like Garbodor can't provide, unlike Weavile that has an additional energy accel option that doesn't get rid of your entire hand like Rose, and also synergyzes with using Hide Darkness Energy with a pivot like this - as you can simply retreat and then re-attach to Eternatus -and Obstagoon that provides additional damage counters or hand control for matches like mill.
The only deck that is going to run either G.slowpoke or Garbador is Toxitricity. Eternitus isn't going to run either

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
You say that but I would wait until we actually get results from relevant tournaments in the TCG. Dark Box as a whole is an archetype that has potential that hasn't been scratched yet, except by using energy engines to load heavy-cost attackers.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
You say that but I would wait until we actually get results from relevant tournaments in the TCG. Dark Box as a whole is an archetype that has potential that hasn't been scratched yet, except by using energy engines to load heavy-cost attackers.
We're already seeing results from japan and no they aren't running either.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
"Relevant". Sorry, but Japan doesn't have a competitive scene as good as the west does.
Japan is our sneak preview of what the decks of the new set will be like. If they never used Garbodor in Eternatus VMax, it's likely because of consistency reasons. Not only that, Eternatus VMax already hits stupidly hard on its own, plus poison doesn't fix any damage numbers against other VMaxes.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Wow. I like how Mew V is weirdly better and worse than Mewtwo EX. It does 10 more damage per energy and somehow has 10 more HP. Yet requiring 2 Psychic instead of 2 Colorless (aka attaching a DCE) is wonkier. Plus, I'm not sure, even with the increased damage, if this is all that decent these days. If you pay the minimum of two Psychic, even if your opponent had 4 energies on it, that's 180 damage. Not bad, but with Pokemon VMax having well over 300 HP, is this attack good enough?

I like it, but I don't think it will see play, unless it's a good counter to something meta, or if there's some energy combo shenanigans. Which is weird to think that it probably won't see play, when Mewtwo EX ruled the game at one point.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Clefairy - 3 Geodudes. Forgot to mention it.
  • Venusaur V - Seems nice. It can OHKO Zacian, before we mention Zacian's Grass resistance. It's alright. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Incineroar V - Another option for Welder V. OHKO Zacian before mentioning Zacian's weakness. 4 Geodudes
  • Wailord V - Biggest 2-prized Basic we've got. Too bad it's not on the VMax level. We've got Buff Padding since it got 4 RC. Stall decks will love it. 4-5 Geodudes
  • Pikachu V - 2-prized Circle Circuit with no Electropower, payable atk cost, and its for 2 L energy. 4 Geodudes
  • Mew V - Not the Mew V we've expect. Its a weak version of Mewtwo EX that isn't for CC and a typing that suffers the impact of Post-rotation. It has free retreat, too. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Lucario V - Buzzwole but better. 4 Geodudes
  • Galarian Slowbro V - used for the ability. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Duraludon V - M has good tricks like Metal Saucer and 1-of copy of Perrserker, plus Scizor VMAX runs Duraludon anyway. This one is decent to utilize these tricks. 4 Geodudes
  • Eevee V - KOs Crobat V for 3 energy. 4 Geodudes
  • Altaria - step aside, Decidueye. Altaria is here. 4 Geodudes

Gamerdynasty4ever

Aspiring Trainer
For the coin, will it be different for each deck? Or will it just be a green Eevee for all of the decks? Also, how do you get the playmat?

Jackrockstar

Aspiring Trainer
  • Lucario V - Buzzwole but better. 4 Geodudes

I think the problem is that it’s Buzzwole without the support. No beast ring/no diancie prisim/beast energy means that it’s not gonna be hitting nearly as hard as buzzwole ever did, even with the slight buff in damage to it’s attacks