'World Down' and 'Legendary Heartbeat,' Japan's Summer Sets Introducing Amazing Rares!

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
If you can pay for Rayquaza with only Special Emergy, you can load it up with any type of Basic Energy you want to cycle to discard (which would be pretty devastating with Frossmoth + Super Energy Retreival in Expanded).

Edit: I misread the attack. It actually says "Discard all basic Energy from this Pokemon. This attack does 80 damage for each type of basic Energy you discarded in this way." :(

Last edited:

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I don't see the difficulty of charging up Amazing Rare / AR Jirachi. For Jirachi specifically, you can use both Metal Saucer and Turbo Patch, both of which are items that can help you charge this fellow on a very possible turn 1, and then go ham with the attack however you like.

Not sure of how actually good the card is, I just know it'll be stupid fun to mess around with :3

LostSalamence

LOST: The End
So, based on the box-art we will see another Shuckle, Shuppet and Banette as well. Zarude has some great art, not really a fan of the Amazon rares just yet. Maybe it has to grow a bit... or maybe we need more variation that just two artists (I'm looking at you 5ban...)

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Also, as was posted back in February:

Legendary Heartbeat will feature 76 cards and release on July 10th. This is the same day as the movie Pokemon Koko, meaning this will be a movie-themed set.

Might wanna update this, since the movie got delayed to an (to my knowledge) unknown date amidst the pandemic.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
You're absolutely right! Can't believe those slipped my mind. That really could be what they're going for here!

As much as I love the Neo Destiny set, the Shining chase rares from it and the two from Neo Revelations were a massive "miss". Partially because their attacks were usually expensive, hard to fulfill, and/or largely ineffective. It was also difficult to implement them in existing decks because the attack costs were so bizarre.

The thing is that the chase rares then didn't have any Pokemon Powers/Abilities and that severely impacted their usefulness. On top of the Shing rule on their cards stating that more than one of it can't be used per deck (you could use EVERY one of those shinings in a deck, but just 1 each. Just like Prism Stars).

We don't have the "1 per deck" here. The Jirachi gives me hope that these will be remotely useful (especially next rotation when the Team Up block rotates and we have it and Scoop Up Net available). But the Rayquaza has me worried that several of the Amazing Rares that we are yet to see are going to APPEAR to have potential, but are marred by weird attack costs that are going to be difficult to fulfill unless you revolve a deck completely around them. Case in point: you need a strategy to get Jirachi to work; you need a strategy to get Rayquaza to work.

The part I'm remotely happy about is that it's not like Shining Legends where most of the Shining Pokemon from that set were vanilla, plain, and largely unusable.

And because there isn't a true "negative limitation" on Amazing rares like the Prism Star and WOTC Shining cards cards. I'm worried that their only gimmick, the weird expensive Energy-asymmetrical attack costs, is going to make them unusable outside of whatever Abilities get attached to them.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
If you can pay for Rayquaza with only Special Emergy, you can load it up with any type of Basic Energy you want to cycle to discard (which would be pretty devastating with Frossmoth + Super Energy Retreival in Expanded).
The rayqauza states that it is each type of basic energy discarded in that way. So you would only need to discard one water and you would only be able to do 80 more damage from it.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
From the scans we've seen, we can safely confirm that Shuckle and Shuppet alongside its evolved form Banette will also be in this set. Whether Shuckle will be Grass to represent Bug or Fighting to represent Rock is yet to be seen.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
The rayqauza states that it is each type of basic energy discarded in that way. So you would only need to discard one water and you would only be able to do 80 more damage from it.

You are correct. In that case, womp womp, guess it's useless after all. Even as a stretch with Vikavolt.

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Clefairy is... ok? Many cards can do the same thing so much better (especially in Expanded). If you run Clefable though, I would probably use this as the Basic.

Can it use GX attacks? If so, this could be a Tag Team revenge killer.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Clefairy is... ok? Many cards can do the same thing so much better (especially in Expanded). If you run Clefable though, I would probably use this as the Basic.

I'd say a GX attack is an attack. If the intention is to not let it be able to use GX attacks, it would have to be errata'd out. (Have SWSH cards not been acknowledging the existence of Pokemon GX/GX attacks the way early SM cards acknowledged Pokémon-EX? As a disinterested collector, I haven't been paying attention.)

guicazzonato

Aspiring Trainer

Yes, it can. However, as soon as you use the GX attack, the GX marker will be turned down. Meaning, you still get to use only one GX attack per game.

Emerfirek

Aspiring Trainer
I'd very much rather it be another recolor of Base Set and Evolutions Clefairy. Just one more [C] to forego the flip is very much worth it. Even if you're playing a Clefable (in a Magmortar deck for example), I think the CEC Clefairy will remain the best for Standard until gen 7 fully rotates just b/c it can do an easy 120 to ADP in a pinch.

While this one can do 150 to ADP (and accelerate 3 Basic Energy) 75% of the time w/ Glimwood (I doubt this will see any play outside a Glimwood deck). The 25% chance of doing nothing hurts it so much though. If tails meant you could use one of your Pokémon's attacks instead of doing nothing, this might have been the best Clefairy.

Last edited:

Babywinds

Aspiring Trainer
This Clefairy is OK. In standard, Will and Glimwood Tangle help this card to ensure it can reliably get off it's attack, along with Twin Energy or another form of easy energy accel to make sure it can actually use the attack. In expanded, I think generally EVO Clefairy is better, however this has a few advantages too, in that it's a psychic type. This means different weaknesses, and Dimension Valley access. So unlike EVO Clefairy, this could be played in decks that don't have as easy a time with energy acceleration, or maybe already play dimension valley (w/out FAC Mew, otherwise just use Mew to copy EVO Clefairy).

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
What happened to all Psychic types having Dark weakness? (Don't get me wrong, I much prefer this.)