'Shocking Volt Tackle,' Japan's September Set!

EpicShonenGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Looks like lightining type will still be good post-rotation, assuming that we will get cards that will help them.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
A june-september gap between set releases seems horrible, but I guess they are trying to accomodate for worldwide releases and also probably prevent any more pandemic losses.

Edit: nevermind, it's a "main" set, meaning we are probably getting our middle set in August

I find this kind of weird, because the weakness cycle should dictate a Fighting V to counter Eternatus, and by the point of this set's release Zarude will be 3 months old. I wonder which one will take precedence, if the Fighting support to complete the weakness cycle, or Grass support to aid Zarude.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
I actually tought that Pikachu VMAX could be a promo.
But I wonder how good will this Pikachu will be...

ronangorski

Aspiring Trainer
A june-september gap between set releases seems horrible, but I guess they are trying to accomodate for worldwide releases and also probably prevent any more pandemic losses.

Edit: nevermind, it's a "main" set, meaning we are probably getting our middle set in August

I find this kind of weird, because the weakness cycle should dictate a Fighting V to counter Eternatus, and by the point of this set's release Zarude will be 3 months old. I wonder which one will take precedence, if the Fighting support to complete the weakness cycle, or Grass support to aid Zarude.

Will be a set with special cards in July I think. Don't remember. The one with new type of cards.

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff

I don't think Japan has an August set. S3a Legendary Heartbeats is supposed to release July 10th. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll use Legendary Heartbeats as the basis for our 2020 mini set that releases September 18th.

More than likely, our fourth Sword & Shield set will consist of S4 Shocking Volt Tackle and any unique cards that come out in the nine V Starter Decks that also release July 10th.

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
June 5th - Infinity Zone (Main)
July 10th - Legendary Heartbeat (Seasonal set)
September 18th - Shocking Volt Tackle (Main)

More than likely a gap in August there.

August set - Infinity Zone and Explosive Walker
October set - Legendary Heartbeat (seasonal set) + Any promos/starter deck V's ect.
November - Shocking Volt Tackle and the mini set after that.

Also if we don't get another special type energy in Infinity Zone (Spot 100 is open ..), then we'll get the remaining 4 in Legendary Heartbeat and our November set.

Dillonzer

Aspiring Trainer
Thank goodness I picked up my Boltund Vs already. I imagine with more Lightning Pokes they will go up.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Additionally, a “VMAX Special Set” will release on October 23rd. It will come with one of four Pokemon VMAX promos and three corresponding holo Energy.
I do wonder if those four VMAX will be the Gigantamax versions of Sandaconda, Cinderace, Rillaboom and Inteleon that didn't appear in VMAX Rising? :O

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
August set - Infinity Zone and Explosive Walker
October set - Legendary Heartbeat (seasonal set) + Any promos/starter deck V's ect.
November - Shocking Volt Tackle and the mini set after that.

I don't see them reversing how they do the International sets with the November set. Our sets are typically the previous mini set and the following main set. That would have made it S3a Legendary Heartbeats and S4 Shocking Volt Tackle, yet it's very likely that S3a will be the basis for the 2020 mini set.

On the flip side, I think we'll see enough new cards from the 9 V Starter decks to make up the gap for our November set. If we look at the previous V Starter decks, each deck had a list of roughly 23 unique cards and each list had 6-8 *new* cards that have been added to our set's list. With that average, we can pretty safely assume that we're looking at 54-72 new cards from these decks, which wouldn't be crazy when compared with the size of the mini sets. Additionally, we'll see some of the secret rare cards from S4 added to that number (their full arts are counted normally in International sets, but are secret rares in Japan) as well as a few promos, so we'll probably have roughly 190 cards in the set.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Anyone else curious about that "large" package? Its awfully expensive for what it's supposed to contain.

Secret Chubbychu plush?

MilesEX

Aspiring Trainer
I don't see them reversing how they do the International sets with the November set. Our sets are typically the previous mini set and the following main set. That would have made it S3a Legendary Heartbeats and S4 Shocking Volt Tackle, yet it's very likely that S3a will be the basis for the 2020 mini set.

On the flip side, I think we'll see enough new cards from the 9 V Starter decks to make up the gap for our November set. If we look at the previous V Starter decks, each deck had a list of roughly 23 unique cards and each list had 6-8 *new* cards that have been added to our set's list. With that average, we can pretty safely assume that we're looking at 54-72 new cards from these decks, which wouldn't be crazy when compared with the size of the mini sets. Additionally, we'll see some of the secret rare cards from S4 added to that number (their full arts are counted normally in International sets, but are secret rares in Japan) as well as a few promos, so we'll probably have roughly 190 cards in the set.

Sure, I can believe the starter sets will make up Nov set, perhaps it won't be a huge set like what we're used to. I'd be shocked if Legendary Heartbeat wasn't it's own thing in English tho, we always have a special seasonal set now around October ish.

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
I'd be shocked if Legendary Heartbeat wasn't it's own thing in English tho, we always have a special seasonal set now around October ish.

Yes, I also stated that I thought S3a Legendary Heartbeats was going to be the basis of our September miniset (the one that releases September 18th).

Sure, I can believe the starter sets will make up Nov set, perhaps it won't be a huge set like what we're used to.

Eh, 190 isn't really that short of what we're used to. 20 cards difference? It's really not a big difference. A smaller set, to be sure, but Crimson Invasion was also a fairly small set when compared with what came out around it (CIN was 124, BUS was 169, and UPR was 173).