Contest May 2020 CaC: Space (All Results Up!)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
bF3sxX9.png

Welcome to the May 2020 round of the Create-A-Card!

This month’s theme is Space.

Space! The final frontier! Pokémon games have long had a fascination with outer space, from the lore of extraterrestrial Pokémon like Deoxys and Kyurem, to artifacts like the Moon Stone and Meteorite, to places like the Hoenn Space Center and even Ultra Space itself.

For this round of the competition, you’ll construct a card based on a Pokémon with a connection to space. What that means is entirely up to you! Some connections are much more obvious than others, but long as you can justify it, you’re good. If you have any hesitations about a particular Pokémon, feel free to ask! ^.^

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 20 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this round’s Create-A-Card. @Jabberwock will be judging image-based, and @FourteenAlmonds will be judging text-based.

We’re always looking for new judges. Keen to join the team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: May 31st (Sun.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. @(sgtfrog)
  2. @FireLizard
  3. @AlphaLad
  4. @Nyan
  5. @Gabs Kazumi
  6. @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK
  7. @bbninjas
  8. @KnightofDust
  9. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. @Vom
  2. @ThePigThatCriedRii
  3. @Nyora
  4. @P3DS
  5. @itsAdoggo
  6. @Jadethepokemontrainer
  7. @TheMaskedMeowth
  8. This could be you!

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[url=https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/may-2020-cac-space-sign-ups-open.151280/][img]https://i.imgur.com/bF3sxX9.png[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo and @Jabberwock for the banner.

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Note: The judging rubric for this contest, as shown in the OP, has been changed. The current rubric is the same as the rubric from the January 2020 CaC, as well as the rounds of the contest from before then. There are several reasons for this change, which I am not here to discuss. Suffice it to say that after extensive discussions with involved parties, I have reached the conclusion that this is the best way forward for this contest.

You will be tagged in this post if you have already previously signed up for the contest, to alert you to the new thread for it. If you no longer wish to enter, of course, as always, you may drop out.

Sign-ups remain open, and the theme and deadline are the same as before. Happy faking! ^.^

Masstag:

@(sgtfrog)
@FireLizard
@FourteenAlmonds
@AlphaLad
@The Ωmega One

@Vom
@ThePigThatCriedRii
@Nyora
@P3DS
@sandragon13
@SableyeGuy

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Let's gooo!

Hp:Mega Venusar-EX EVO
Retreat cost:Solgaleo CEC
Infinity Zone:
Zoroark-GX SHL(Once during your turn...from your hand...)
Blastoise&Piplup-GX(if you do...)
Decidueye-GX SUM(put X cards from your...to your hand...)
Leavanny UNM(you can't apply X ability at a time.)

Spreading Beam
Xerneas-GX FOL(This attack does X damage...apply Weakness and Resistance to Benched Pokèmon.)

Eternabeam-GX
Haxorus NBV(This Pokèmon can't attack during your next turn.)
Sorry for the card being so lacky,bc I only use Paint to make cards and it's not really that good,but I got used to it.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Sorry for the card being so lacky,bc I only use Paint to make cards and it's not really that good,but I got used to it.

Nice start man! You might like to consider downloading either Paint.NET (https://www.getpaint.net/download.html) or GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/downloads/) which give you all the tools you need to make really nice looking cards. One of those programs may even be on your computer by default!

Once you've done that, I'd suggesting downloading the font pack (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/651030088728707082/701040657761828964/fonts.zip) so that you have the right fonts, and our fonts-and-placements guide (https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/diy-fonts-placements-tutorial.128700/) for our recommend way of positioning.

We've got a few people faking for the first time this CAC, so everyone's welcome to send me a PM if you have any questions about how to do that!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
This one evolves through Moon Stone, and those come from...the moon...which is in space...so that totally counts...right?
[Stage 2] Nidoking HP160 [D]
Evolves from Nidorino

NO. 034 Drill Pokémon HT: 4' 07'' WT: 136.7 lbs.

Ability: Shadow of the Colossus
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to all of your Pokémon that have "Nido" in their name by your opponent's Basic Pokémon.

[D][C][C][C] Kingslayer 200-
If you took more than 1 Prize card during your last turn, you may Knock Out 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If you do, this Pokémon can attack twice this turn, but the second attack does 100 less damage. (If the first attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.)

Weakness: [G]x2
Resistance: -
Retreat: [C][C][C]
Nidoking's thick tail packs enormously destructive power. With one swing, it can topple a metal transmission tower. Once this Pokémon goes on a rampage, there is no stopping it.
-that 1 ps2 game
-Keldeo-GX (protection from specific pokemon)
-Falinks V (protection to specific pokemon)
-Torchic PRC
Alright, I don't know who decided to shove Poison types into Dark and make them weak to Grass, but here we are. Man is it gonna be weird seeing an actual Dark Nidoking card. Anyways: I'm mostly testing the waters here. I've been out of the game for a while, and I'm trying to find footing in the new power levels, so I went with something more risqué. Though, for the record, I took the new Tyranitar (hits for 250 for 4 energy+self mill) as a reference.

I'm aware enough that big basics dominate again (thank you Zacian V/ADP) so I'm here to slam them a bit because I don't like big basic formats - hence the Ability. It's a more general protection than just to itself (but not too general! still limited to its own family) because Stage 2s are already hard enough to get out and they are inherently less consistent than Basic Decks - if your Nidoking gets Knocked Out and you can't immediately produce another one ready to attack, your little guys are just gonna get picked off while you get ready.

Kingslayer, well, is pretty self-explanatory. I did a bit of future-proofing instead of saying GX, EX, V, Vmax and whatever future mechanics there may be so this would in theory remain effective. Knocking Out your own Pokémon for the extra damage essentially turns this into a GX since you're probably gonna get one shot in the following turn, and it doesn't cleanly OHKO VMax Pokémon because honestly hitting for that much damage just like that would be absurd. The card however still shines against Tag Teams because those guys definitely get OHKOed - as long as you KOd another GX last turn.

The attack is great after you get going, but chaining them together is not that easy. It's a Stage 2, it requires at least 2 manual attachments, it doesn't have that much HP, you KO your own Pokémon (which alludes to losing a few battles to win the war) and its protection only does so much.

TheMaskedMeowth

Aspiring Trainer
I'm interested in coming up with a text based fake. I've never done these before but I might start because I always have fun doing these on my own free time.

Edit: I finished up my fake, check it out!

Ultra Necrozma V – Psychic – HP220
Basic Pokemon (Ultra Beast)

Ability: Light Absorption
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a Solgaleo or Lunala from your hand. If you do, during this turn, your Ultra Beasts' attacks do 60 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). You can't use more than 1 Light Absorption Ability each turn.

[P][M] Light Manipulation: 90 damage
Switch 1 of your face-down Prize cards with the top card of your deck. If your opponent's Active Pokemon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take any Prize cards first.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
Retreat: 2
For the card itself, obviously Ultra Necrozma, being a member of the Light Trio and an Ultra Beast, is frequently associated with space.

For the ability, since USUM's release I have always imagined a Necrozma card somehow referencing its ability to take over Solgaleo or Lunala. I hope the 60 damage isn't too powerful.

For the attack, obviously all Ultra Beasts have some reference to Prize Cards in their text somewhere. It's not a reference to anything Ultra Necrozma-related in particular, and it's quite simple. 90 damage for 2 different energy types (even though Ultra Necrozma isn't a Dragon-type anymore, I thought that would still be a good aspect of the card to keep) doesn't seem like a huge amount on a V, but with the Light Absorption ability and Beast Energy still in the format, it could boost up to 180 damage, which would be knocking out Dedenne-GX, Eldegoss V, and Crobat V (assuming this card is placed into an Ultra Prism - Darkness Ablaze format). At first I just had the text directly taken from DET Mr. Mime's Pantomime ability, which as of Rebel Clash's release, has been seeing some play. I thought this could be a useful replacement for that Mr. Mime in whatever Beast box deck would play this. However I then realized the implications of putting this on an attack that does damage, that being that if you actually knock out a Pokemon with the attack, you could simply just have a Jirachi Prism Star ready and take an extra prize easily every turn. So the extra clause at the end basically makes it so that, if you have the combo ready, you can do it every OTHER turn. But you most likely won't be attacking every turn with this Pokemon anyways.
  • Naganadel-GX (UNM 160) (Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a [...] from your hand.)
  • Volcanion-EX (STS 26) (If you do, during this turn, your [...]'s attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).)
  • Dedenne-GX (UNB 57) (You can't use more than 1 Dedechange Ability each turn.)
  • Mr. Mime (DET 11) (...switch 1 of your face-down Prize cards with the top card of your deck.)
  • Mega Sableye & Tyranitar-GX (UNM 126) (If your opponent's [...] is Knocked Out by damage from this attack...)
  • Ultra Necrozma-GX (FLI 95), various Pokemon V, Ultra Necrozma (SMPR 165), Ultra Necrozma (CEC 164), various Sword & Shield-era Psychic-type Pokemon (Comparing Ultra Necrozma-GX's 190 HP to other Basic GXs at the time put it a bit on the high end, so I decided to make its HP be on the slight high-end for Pokemon V. As far as Retreat Cost goes, the SMPR one had a retreat cost of 3, but the GX and the CEC one had a retreat cost of 2, so I decided to go with that instead, especially considering this Pokemon will mainly sit on the bench due to its ability I imagine. Weakness and Resistance are in line with Sword & Shield-era Psychic-type Pokemon.)

Unfortunately, there was not really any other effects I could find that referenced discarding certain Pokemon from your hand, or anything more similar to the clause in the second half of the attack, so hopefully the wording isn't too terribly awkward on those.

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I'm interested in coming up with a text based fake. I've never done these before but I might start because I always have fun doing these on my own free time.

Edit: I finished up my fake, check it out!

Ultra Necrozma V – Psychic – HP220
Basic Pokemon (Ultra Beast)

Ability: Light Absorption
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a Solgaleo or Lunala from your hand. If you do, during this turn, your Ultra Beasts' attacks do 60 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). You can't use more than 1 Light Absorption Ability each turn.

[P][M] Light Manipulation: 90 damage
Switch 1 of your face-down Prize cards with the top card of your deck. If your opponent's Active Pokemon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take any Prize cards first.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
Retreat: 2
For the card itself, obviously Ultra Necrozma, being a member of the Light Trio and an Ultra Beast, is frequently associated with space.

For the ability, since USUM's release I have always imagined a Necrozma card somehow referencing its ability to take over Solgaleo or Lunala. I hope the 60 damage isn't too powerful.

For the attack, obviously all Ultra Beasts have some reference to Prize Cards in their text somewhere. It's not a reference to anything Ultra Necrozma-related in particular, and it's quite simple. 90 damage for 2 different energy types (even though Ultra Necrozma isn't a Dragon-type anymore, I thought that would still be a good aspect of the card to keep) doesn't seem like a huge amount on a V, but with the Light Absorption ability and Beast Energy still in the format, it could boost up to 180 damage, which would be knocking out Dedenne-GX, Eldegoss V, and Crobat V (assuming this card is placed into an Ultra Prism - Darkness Ablaze format). At first I just had the text directly taken from DET Mr. Mime's Pantomime ability, which as of Rebel Clash's release, has been seeing some play. I thought this could be a useful replacement for that Mr. Mime in whatever Beast box deck would play this. However I then realized the implications of putting this on an attack that does damage, that being that if you actually knock out a Pokemon with the attack, you could simply just have a Jirachi Prism Star ready and take an extra prize easily every turn. So the extra clause at the end basically makes it so that, if you have the combo ready, you can do it every OTHER turn. But you most likely won't be attacking every turn with this Pokemon anyways.
  • Naganadel-GX (UNM 160) (Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a [...] from your hand.)
  • Volcanion-EX (STS 26) (If you do, during this turn, your [...]'s attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).)
  • Dedenne-GX (UNB 57) (You can't use more than 1 Dedechange Ability each turn.)
  • Mr. Mime (DET 11) (...switch 1 of your face-down Prize cards with the top card of your deck.)
  • Mega Sableye & Tyranitar-GX (UNM 126) (If your opponent's [...] is Knocked Out by damage from this attack...)
  • Ultra Necrozma-GX (FLI 95), various Pokemon V, Ultra Necrozma (SMPR 165), Ultra Necrozma (CEC 164), various Sword & Shield-era Psychic-type Pokemon (Comparing Ultra Necrozma-GX's 190 HP to other Basic GXs at the time put it a bit on the high end, so I decided to make its HP be on the slight high-end for Pokemon V. As far as Retreat Cost goes, the SMPR one had a retreat cost of 3, but the GX and the CEC one had a retreat cost of 2, so I decided to go with that instead, especially considering this Pokemon will mainly sit on the bench due to its ability I imagine. Weakness and Resistance are in line with Sword & Shield-era Psychic-type Pokemon.)

Unfortunately, there was not really any other effects I could find that referenced discarding certain Pokemon from your hand, or anything more similar to the clause in the second half of the attack, so hopefully the wording isn't too terribly awkward on those.
Howdy @TheMaskedMeowth, welcome to the CaC! ^.^

As a note, we generally ask contestants not to edit posts with their entry, either editing a post to include a new entry or editing some part of an entry that already exists. This is partly to make it easier on us judges to keep track of everything! That's not to say you can't edit at all; as a general rule, we simply deduct two points for an entry that has been edited.

In this specific case, we won't dock any points, since it's your first time and I can confirm that your card hasn't changed since you posted it. However, please bear this in mind for the future! If you want to enter the contest early on and then submit your fake later, it's ideal to simply make a new post for it. :)

TheMaskedMeowth

Aspiring Trainer
Howdy @TheMaskedMeowth, welcome to the CaC! ^.^

As a note, we generally ask contestants not to edit posts with their entry, either editing a post to include a new entry or editing some part of an entry that already exists. This is partly to make it easier on us judges to keep track of everything! That's not to say you can't edit at all; as a general rule, we simply deduct two points for an entry that has been edited.

In this specific case, we won't dock any points, since it's your first time and I can confirm that your card hasn't changed since you posted it. However, please bear this in mind for the future! If you want to enter the contest early on and then submit your fake later, it's ideal to simply make a new post for it. :)

Okay, sorry, I just got straight to work on it after I joined and then I finished it and by the time I did, there were no new posts and I didn't want to double post so I decided to edit the original post. No worries though, I won't do it again in the future!! ;)

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Do I return after what? *checks DA* Over a year for image?

Yeah, I've only got like a week of school left.

In for image.

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Ah, definitely missed this. Glad to be back!

Normal Forme Deoxys - [P] - 120 HP
Basic

NO. 386 - DNA Pokémon - HT: 5’07” – WT: 134.0 lbs.

Ability: Emerging Virus
As long as this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, damage can't be healed from either player's Pokémon.

[P][P][C] Call of Forms 80+
You may discard either Speed Forme Deoxys, Attack Forme Deoxys, Defense Forme Deoxys, or all 3 from your hand. If you discard Speed Forme Deoxys, switch this Pokémon with 1 of your benched Pokémon. If you discard Attack Forme Deoxys, this attack does 100 more damage. If you discard Defense Forme Deoxys, during your opponents next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks. If you discard all 3, your opponent shuffles their Active Pokémon and all attached cards into their deck.

Weakness - Psychic (x2)
Resistance -
Retreat - [C]
Deoxys emerged from a virus that came from space. It is highly intelligent and wields psychokinetic powers. This Pokémon shoots lasers from the crystalline organ on its chest.

So the first Pokemon that came into my head when considering this theme was Deoxys and that isn't just because it's mention in the OP. Then I realized, it would be interesting to somehow incorporate the four different forms into one card, and this is what I came up with. I decided to go with the Normal Form because it made most sense, to me at least, for it to incorporate the other forms in its attacks somehow.

For Emerging Virus, because Deoxys emerged from an alien virus, I wanted to come up with something that included that in some way, and this effect made the most sense to me for this concept. I wasn't entirely sure how I could imply a virus into the TCG without using some type of Special Condition like Poison, so this is the closest I could come up with in those regards.

Call of Forms took me a while to completely figure out. At first, I gave the card three different attacks, each pertaining to one of the forms. But then I realized I haven't really seen a card that has an effect pertaining to multiple different Pokemon in one attack like this one (then again, I don't know that many cards haha). I tried to make each form apply to the effect as much as possible. Attack forme adds more damage, defense forme protects, and speed forme uses its speed to get away after attacking. The effect for all three took a little while to come up with, because I wasn't entirely sure how to approach that. I didn't want to make it anything too unique because the attack is already so long and somewhat complicated, but I also wanted to make it fairly strong. My biggest struggle with this attack was the wording. I couldn't find any cards (in the most recent sets) that had any wording quite like it, so for some of this I just had to take my best educated guess on wording wise :p

Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
Whimsicott SwSh
Lapras V
Galarian Obstagoon SwSh
Galarian Weezing RCL

ThePigThatCriedRii

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry!

Eternatus V - [D] Pokemon - 210 HP
Basic Pokemon
NO. 890 Gigantic Pokemon 65′07″ 2094.4 lbs

Ability: Starfall
Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is in your hand, you may reveal it. If you do, discard your hand and draw 3 cards.

[D][D][C][C][C]: Eternabeam
Put a damage counter on each Pokémon (both yours and your opponents) for each Pokémon in your discard pile. Then, if both you and your opponent would take 2 or more Prize cards this turn, you win the game.

Weakness: [F]
Resistance: None
RC: [C][C]

Pokémon V rule: When your Pokémon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

It was inside a meteorite that fell 20,000 years ago. There seems to be a connection between this Pokémon and the Dynamax phenomenon.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Unfortunately I'm going to have to drop from image. Things have been to hectic for me to make a card lately, and especially with my exams starting on Friday there's no way at all that I'll be able to finish a card that I can be proud of.