What Unused Dual Types Do You Want to See in Pokemon Sun and Moon?

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
How has fire poison not happened yet. And I'm still waiting for a normal ghost type.

Fire/Poison happened in Gen 7 with Salandit/Salazzle

Also, since I'm here, here are a few of my wants (and ways I could see them working)
-Psychic/Poison - I've always had an image of what I'd like this to be in my head. The easiest way I have of describing it is to imagine a fusion of Weezing, Gastly and Reuniclus

-Bug/Dark - if I'm being honest, I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet, since an evil bug isn't really hard to imagine. I could see something like a funnel web spider working for this, or an assassin bug (which in itself could make a really cool concept for a Pokemon)

-Bug/Dragon - as a person who has had a real interest in prehistoric creatures for the longest time, there is one creature that a) I always thought should have been made into a Pokemon and b) should be Bug/Dragon. My first wish was granted in gen 4 when Yanmega was introduced, a Pokemon seemingly based on the meganeura, a giant prehistoric dragonfly. Unfortunately my second wish still has yet to be granted. I did have hope for a Bug/Dragon Mega Yanmega, but alas it was not to be.

-Flying - yes it is a) not unused and b) not a dual type, but I've always been a bit confused as to what constitutes Pure Flying as opposed to Type/Flying. Tornadus I can understand; the Flying type also covers the 'air/wind element', but even though Rookidee and Corvisquire are now my fave bird mons, I just don't understand what makes them pure Flying whilst none of the other earlygame birds are. Maybe it's more of a thing that I just need clarification on lmao

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Might as well throw my hat into this too. There's two I've always wanted more than anything-Fire/Ice and Normal/Ghost. The most oxymoronic of type combinations, lol.

Fire/Ice I've got no idea what I'd want to see out of it, but it's just such an interesting type combination.

But then we've got Normal/Ghost which is EASILY my most wanted combination. Immunity to Normal, Ghost, and Fighting would be so cool. I would hope they did a take on the classic "Ghost in a sheet" kind of deal, but as it evolves it gets a little bit more interesting while still keeping that theme.

EDIT: Steel/Poison would also be really cool. I wanted Klink to have a rusted version either in a branched evolution or a regional form that would poison Pokemon on contact, kinda like getting tetanus or something.

Last edited:

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah lol how could you forget. I really like the design for that darmanitan. And for fire and poison, although now I do realize they exist in the form of salandit and salazzle, I wish they did something a bit more... elemental??? maybe a spiritombish thingy where its like a flame on a rock but some parts are purplish, and theres some poisonous gas or something. or maybe it can have two forms, one thats a regular flame and one thats more poison based and purple, since they are giving more regular pokemon additional forms.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Yeah lol how could you forget. I really like the design for that darmanitan. And for fire and poison, although now I do realize they exist in the form of salandit and salazzle, I wish they did something a bit more... elemental??? maybe a spiritombish thingy where its like a flame on a rock but some parts are purplish, and theres some poisonous gas or something. or maybe it can have two forms, one thats a regular flame and one thats more poison based and purple, since they are giving more regular pokemon additional forms.
Oh definitely, every form of that Pokemon is great though to me (although I'll always stand by the classic Unova one as being the best of the four, but there's not a single one I don't like, the fact that they picked it out of all Pokemon to get a regional form is a huge deal to me).

I actually think they did well with Salazzle in terms of what a Fire/Poison pokemon could be. The whole idea of it's venom being corrosive and affecting steel works really well thematically. But I do think they could do something more elemental like you said. I feel like it could have to do with smoke personally, given that smoke/carbon monoxide is a toxic substance when inhaled. It'd be interesting seeing what they could come up with thematically.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah good idea with the smoke! Another idea I wanna see is grass fire. It's talked about a lot, but i have a unique idea for it. Its some spicy peppers. Peppers are a fruit so that's where grass comes from. The spice and heat makes it fire. Maybe it's an exeggcute type thing where those multiple of them and maybe they launch each other at opponents. Maybe they can have two forms. Solo form and multiples form. They can have a signature move that's a multi-hit when in the multiples form (which by the way would just be all of the peppers together), and then it enters solo form. Solo form is just one of the fruits. The different forms have different stats and maybe a different ability. The solo form will remain for the next turn. Then, at the beginning of the next turn it goes back to multiple form. IDK just a stupid idea.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Spicy peppers works perfectly for grass/fire, I'm surprised they haven't actually done it yet really, again with being perfect thematically, which is a huge thing that makes a good Pokemon. I could see it as maybe starting off as just one angry red pepper and then evolving into a clump of them or something.

I dunno, it seems like a lot of the unused type combos they haven't done yet are some of the most interesting ones they could do, especially with types like Steel or Normal. That's probably one of the things I have left to look forward to with this series is what ideas they can use to work with a certain type combination or idea. Sometimes it works really well, I think the Applin line is a great example of this-the whole "Wyrm" inside an Apple thing is really clever.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Spicy peppers works perfectly for grass/fire, I'm surprised they haven't actually done it yet really, again with being perfect thematically, which is a huge thing that makes a good Pokemon. I could see it as maybe starting off as just one angry red pepper and then evolving into a clump of them or something.

One idea I have for Grass/Fire is a 2stage line; the first would be a lil baby dimetrodon that's completely covered in peppers (so you can only see its eyes, mouth, feet and tail), with peppers on its back making a vague sail shape. It evolves into an adult dimetrodon that has peppers growing from along its back, and the peppers on its back have evolved to make a large sail. It could have some Pokedex lore about how the more sunlight its sail absorbs, the spicier the peppers on its body are, and a sig. move where it puts nastily hot peppers on the opponents side of the battlefield, and when a Pokemon switches in it says 'opponent ate one of the peppers and is now burned' or something along those lines. I could potentially see it getting a third stage, but I sort of had that idea for a specifically 2stage line so I'm not sure how it would go.

also, another typing I thought of that imo could really use some more attention is Grass/Ground. Even though Torterra is in my top10 Pokemon and I've loved it for ages, I just think it's such an obvious, natural type combination that I'd have expected a) it wouldn't have taken 4 gens to get one and b) after 8 gens we'd still only have one.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
One idea I have for Grass/Fire is a 2stage line; the first would be a lil baby dimetrodon that's completely covered in peppers (so you can only see its eyes, mouth, feet and tail), with peppers on its back making a vague sail shape. It evolves into an adult dimetrodon that has peppers growing from along its back, and the peppers on its back have evolved to make a large sail. It could have some Pokedex lore about how the more sunlight its sail absorbs, the spicier the peppers on its body are, and a sig. move where it puts nastily hot peppers on the opponents side of the battlefield, and when a Pokemon switches in it says 'opponent ate one of the peppers and is now burned' or something along those lines. I could potentially see it getting a third stage, but I sort of had that idea for a specifically 2stage line so I'm not sure how it would go.

also, another typing I thought of that imo could really use some more attention is Grass/Ground. Even though Torterra is in my top10 Pokemon and I've loved it for ages, I just think it's such an obvious, natural type combination that I'd have expected a) it wouldn't have taken 4 gens to get one and b) after 8 gens we'd still only have one.

It's really interesting seeing people's Pokemon ideas-I've never dabbled in making Fakemon or come up with them personally besides a small few like a better version of Inteleon or that Normal/Ghost pokemon I was talking about. Really interesting ideas though based on just a single type and a concept.

I do agree with your grass/ground sentiment though, it's such a natural type combination that it's weird there's only one ever (I never even realized it honestly). I just don't know what you'd do with it... Moss? I feel like a moss Pokemon would be more Grass/Rock though...

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
It's really interesting seeing people's Pokemon ideas-I've never dabbled in making Fakemon or come up with them personally besides a small few like a better version of Inteleon or that Normal/Ghost pokemon I was talking about. Really interesting ideas though based on just a single type and a concept.

I do agree with your grass/ground sentiment though, it's such a natural type combination that it's weird there's only one ever (I never even realized it honestly). I just don't know what you'd do with it... Moss? I feel like a moss Pokemon would be more Grass/Rock though...

I do have a few fakemon from a while back (I once had a dream of creating a whole fake region, but it just never really happened, although I do like to sometimes look back through my old fakemons), but aside from the odd 'hey maybe this could be a Pokemon with this type combo' it's not something I really focus on. Also my artistic skills weren't that great when I made them, and I've not done any drawing for so long, so most of my sketches it can be hard to figure out what its supposed to be lmao.

Although having said about Grass/Ground - I've actually found myself in a weird conundrum where even though the combination feels really natural I also find it hard to think of what they could do. I can't really think of any ideas where both feel natural, rather than a Ground mon that feels like it has some Grass aspect slapped onto it just for the purpose of the dual type, or vice versa. I did think of soil being a bridge between the two, but I'm finding it hard of a way to incorporate both that (since soil by itself is imo more Ground type territory) and the Grass aspect without it being a mess.
I think there is definitely a sense of symbiosis between Grass and Ground, which is probably why they feel natural, but not in a way that they could easily be put together (if that makes sense).

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I do have a few fakemon from a while back (I once had a dream of creating a whole fake region, but it just never really happened, although I do like to sometimes look back through my old fakemons), but aside from the odd 'hey maybe this could be a Pokemon with this type combo' it's not something I really focus on. Also my artistic skills weren't that great when I made them, and I've not done any drawing for so long, so most of my sketches it can be hard to figure out what its supposed to be lmao.

Although having said about Grass/Ground - I've actually found myself in a weird conundrum where even though the combination feels really natural I also find it hard to think of what they could do. I can't really think of any ideas where both feel natural, rather than a Ground mon that feels like it has some Grass aspect slapped onto it just for the purpose of the dual type, or vice versa. I did think of soil being a bridge between the two, but I'm finding it hard of a way to incorporate both that (since soil by itself is imo more Ground type territory) and the Grass aspect without it being a mess.
I think there is definitely a sense of symbiosis between Grass and Ground, which is probably why they feel natural, but not in a way that they could easily be put together (if that makes sense).
I think I tend to like redesigning Pokemon I don't like the designs of when I dabble in fakemon, it's more of a recent interest though. Last night actually I made a fake version of Inteleon that pretty much made him quadruped, because I am sick of bipedal starters, and less of a stick while still keeping the design of the sobble line intact. (I still need to redraw it to look better I just did a sort of draft to it with pen and lined paper lol).

You summed up my thoughts on grass/ground perfectly. It's not really as "natural" as other ideas per se, but maybe a potted plant? you'd have the pot with the dirt in it to represent ground, while the plant itself represents grass. And since a lot of pots are made of clay, that would further promote the ground typing to it.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I think I tend to like redesigning Pokemon I don't like the designs of when I dabble in fakemon, it's more of a recent interest though. Last night actually I made a fake version of Inteleon that pretty much made him quadruped, because I am sick of bipedal starters, and less of a stick while still keeping the design of the sobble line intact. (I still need to redraw it to look better I just did a sort of draft to it with pen and lined paper lol).

You summed up my thoughts on grass/ground perfectly. It's not really as "natural" as other ideas per se, but maybe a potted plant? you'd have the pot with the dirt in it to represent ground, while the plant itself represents grass. And since a lot of pots are made of clay, that would further promote the ground typing to it.

As far as fakemon go, regional variants have actually been something I love - even though I never actually draw anything, I enjoy thinking 'what if this Pokemon was that type instead and why'. Maybe now I'm at home a lot more than usual I could actually put effort into a fake region for the first time in like 6 years lmao.

I think a potted plant would be the perfect idea for a Grass/Ground type. It keeps the themes of both types, plus it could make for an interesting design - I mean there's a whole range of plants that it could be designed after.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
As far as fakemon go, regional variants have actually been something I love - even though I never actually draw anything, I enjoy thinking 'what if this Pokemon was that type instead and why'. Maybe now I'm at home a lot more than usual I could actually put effort into a fake region for the first time in like 6 years lmao.

I think a potted plant would be the perfect idea for a Grass/Ground type. It keeps the themes of both types, plus it could make for an interesting design - I mean there's a whole range of plants that it could be designed after.
I always thought of what I would want a region to be based off of, but never actually made one. I've always wanted something based off Alaska or northern Canada-somewhere primarily cold. There's not really any regions that do this kind of thing, where you're in a generally colder climate with snowy scenery through most of it. I love that aesthetic and I'd love to see them do a region based off a consistent theme such as this, rather than a tropical paradise like Hoenn or Alola, or jumbled mess like Galar where one step takes you through a sandstorm, rain, and a blizzard within seconds. Sinnoh was the closest we've gotten to this, though it was more consistently a temperate kind of area with a glimpse of snow near the end. The consistency is what made it work well though.

Oh definitely, you could do really anything with a potted plant. A cute flower with a face, or something more akin to a venus flytrap-type deal like Pirahna Plants/Audrey II. (Granted, Carnivine already exists in the case of a venus flytrap). There's a LOT you could do with it.

I do have to say though-I like how someone trying to spread fake leaks have brought out a pretty meaningful conversation over Pokemon types and concepts for designs. It's really interesting seeing what we can think up of off just a few ideas.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I always thought of what I would want a region to be based off of, but never actually made one. I've always wanted something based off Alaska or northern Canada-somewhere primarily cold. There's not really any regions that do this kind of thing, where you're in a generally colder climate with snowy scenery through most of it. I love that aesthetic and I'd love to see them do a region based off a consistent theme such as this, rather than a tropical paradise like Hoenn or Alola, or jumbled mess like Galar where one step takes you through a sandstorm, rain, and a blizzard within seconds. Sinnoh was the closest we've gotten to this, though it was more consistently a temperate kind of area with a glimpse of snow near the end. The consistency is what made it work well though.

Oh definitely, you could do really anything with a potted plant. A cute flower with a face, or something more akin to a venus flytrap-type deal like Pirahna Plants/Audrey II. (Granted, Carnivine already exists in the case of a venus flytrap). There's a LOT you could do with it.

I do have to say though-I like how someone trying to spread fake leaks have brought out a pretty meaningful conversation over Pokemon types and concepts for designs. It's really interesting seeing what we can think up of off just a few ideas.

Whenever I had ideas for a region, I never actually based it on any particular real-life region - I just had a rough sketch of the general shape I wanted it to be, and just added in what I always thought were the 'essential places', including but not limited to a forest area, a cave/mountain area, a snowy area, a big city, and usually a harbour town/city, then I just threw in a bunch of other things I liked and made it work. I would occasionally throw nods to real life locations in (landmarks etc, but not necessarily sticking to landmarks of one particular irl region). None of my regions ever got much past the general stage of having all the routes and towns/cities laid out, since my drawing isn't that good I always ended up making a mess of it and I usually restarted each time, making differences on the new ones.
Although now having said this I think I'm gonna actually try to put some real effort into making a region with a bunch of fakemon during the lockdown, since I don't have much else better to do lmao.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Whenever I had ideas for a region, I never actually based it on any particular real-life region - I just had a rough sketch of the general shape I wanted it to be, and just added in what I always thought were the 'essential places', including but not limited to a forest area, a cave/mountain area, a snowy area, a big city, and usually a harbour town/city, then I just threw in a bunch of other things I liked and made it work. I would occasionally throw nods to real life locations in (landmarks etc, but not necessarily sticking to landmarks of one particular irl region). None of my regions ever got much past the general stage of having all the routes and towns/cities laid out, since my drawing isn't that good I always ended up making a mess of it and I usually restarted each time, making differences on the new ones.
Although now having said this I think I'm gonna actually try to put some real effort into making a region with a bunch of fakemon during the lockdown, since I don't have much else better to do lmao.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you come up with, if you go for it.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you come up with, if you go for it.

I might make a thread for it in the creative works forum; I would want to have a good chunk of things to show right off the bat though - I'd probably say the entire region map (although with my lack of artistic skills maybe a detailed description would be better lol), starter Pokemon, legendaries + lore, a few characters, and maybe some other early route mons would be a good starting point. I don't really know how long that would take me though.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I might make a thread for it in the creative works forum; I would want to have a good chunk of things to show right off the bat though - I'd probably say the entire region map (although with my lack of artistic skills maybe a detailed description would be better lol), starter Pokemon, legendaries + lore, a few characters, and maybe some other early route mons would be a good starting point. I don't really know how long that would take me though.
Yeah, I think having a good amount of things could be a good way to run it, get people interested off the start. It may take a while but I think the biggest challenge of it is staying engaged with your project-I've done many different creative endeavors which have ended off with a lack of engagement or inspiration.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Yeah, I think having a good amount of things could be a good way to run it, get people interested off the start. It may take a while but I think the biggest challenge of it is staying engaged with your project-I've done many different creative endeavors which have ended off with a lack of engagement or inspiration.

Yeah, I can't count the amount of projects I've started to only fall off it once I've done so much.
As far as this goes, I have a general plan for the region but it's still vague. I wanna try and use some of my old fakemon, but I don't think I can use two of the starters I had; there was a Grass bear, but the line doesn't really go anywhere besides 'it gets bigger' and I think it just needs more to it than that (although I could just revamp the idea, rather than start from scratch). Secondly I had a Water lizard, but the concept of a water lizard starter has been done with Sobble, and I'd rather just make something new that looks more original.
As far as regular mons go, my old water/grass fish mon is definitely in there, and probably the pure Flying eagle I made (but I think I might make that into a full line). I also know my fossils will be a terror bird and a marine reptile (probably a mosasaurus or a liopleurodon), although since I love prehistoric animals there might be more than 2 fossils.
I did try and list a few new regional variant ideas, but besides a Psychic/Poison Reuniclus (the idea is that exposure to toxic waste made its gelatinous body more of a toxic sludge) and a Psychic/Fairy Gothitelle (with a pastel goth aesthetic) I've not been very creative today.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Yeah, I can't count the amount of projects I've started to only fall off it once I've done so much.
As far as this goes, I have a general plan for the region but it's still vague. I wanna try and use some of my old fakemon, but I don't think I can use two of the starters I had; there was a Grass bear, but the line doesn't really go anywhere besides 'it gets bigger' and I think it just needs more to it than that (although I could just revamp the idea, rather than start from scratch). Secondly I had a Water lizard, but the concept of a water lizard starter has been done with Sobble, and I'd rather just make something new that looks more original.
As far as regular mons go, my old water/grass fish mon is definitely in there, and probably the pure Flying eagle I made (but I think I might make that into a full line). I also know my fossils will be a terror bird and a marine reptile (probably a mosasaurus or a liopleurodon), although since I love prehistoric animals there might be more than 2 fossils.
I did try and list a few new regional variant ideas, but besides a Psychic/Poison Reuniclus (the idea is that exposure to toxic waste made its gelatinous body more of a toxic sludge) and a Psychic/Fairy Gothitelle (with a pastel goth aesthetic) I've not been very creative today.
Hey, even then it's still progress. Think of it like this- I've been working on a story I want to make into a series of some sort for the last four years now, it's been a huge passion project of mine. It's been a slow burn of ideas really, but every day when something new gets developed or I figure out some way to improve the plot or the characters it's a win. Hell, I'm back to the drawing board on it for the 6th time already, but new things develop out of it, so I think every little thing counts.

I do really like the ideas of the Reuniclus and Gothitelle variants. I think the pastels could easily be really aesthetically pleasing.