Discussion 2021 Rotation

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
So I realize nothing official has been announced about rotation, but I and a lot of other people still believe it will happen. There are a number of reasons. First, to keep the format fresh. Second, to minimize complications in rulings between varying sets. Third, to keep the blocks of cards together. Those are just a few reasons. With that said, I believe based on blocks that new standard will be Team Up (TEU) and onward. That means that for the start of the 2021 Pokémon year we will have Team Up, Detective Pikachu (if you could call that a set), Unbroken Bonds, Unified Minds, Hidden Fates (the few cards that are legal), Cosmic Eclipse, Sword & Shield, and Rebel Clash.

I must admin that after looking at the impact it is nowhere near as bad as last year, where we were left with an almost barren format. The 2020 rotation saw the removal of almost all ball search (ultra ball and nest ball) and gust effects (Guzma). Not to mention we had next to nothing to replace them. That being said, here are the sets rotating and cards I feel are impactful. If I miss anything or make a mistake please feel free to post a correction and I will try to update the list. Hope this helps

Promos
Solgaleo-GX

Ultra Prism
Pachirisu
Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
Tapu Lele (Magical Swap)
Oranguru
Cynthia
Cyrus Prism Star
Escape Board
Lillie
Lusamine
Mars
Order Pad
Volkner
Unit Energy (GFW)
Unit Energy (LPM)

Forbidden Light
Malamar
Naganadel GX
Diance Prism Star
Buzzwole
Yveltal GX
Florges
Ultra Necrozma GX
Beast Ring
Judge (although Marnie is far better now)
Lysandre Labs
Metal Frying Pan
Mysterious Treasure
Ultra Space
Beast Energy
Unit Energy (FDF)

Celestial Storm
Magcargo
Articuno GX
Rayquaza GX
Acro Bike
Shrine of Punishment
Steven's Resolve
Tate & Liza
Rainbow Energy

Dragon Majesty
Victini Prism Star
Quagsire
Dragonite GX
Turtonator
Fiery Flint

Lost Thunder
Jumpluff
Shuckle GX
Virizion GX
Magcargo GX
Blacephalon GX
Mareep
Zebstrika
Zeraora GX
Wobbuffet
Girafarig
Shedinja
Giratina
Nihilego
Naganadel
Granbull
Xerneas Prism Star
Ditto Prism Star
Lugia GX
Adventure Bag
Choice Helmet
Counter Gain
Custom Catcher
Electropower
Faba
Fairy Charm G/P/F/D
Heat Factory Prism Star
Life Forest Prism Star
Lost Blender
Lusamine Prism Star
Net Ball
Professor Elm's Lecture
Spell Tag
Thunder Mountain Prism Star

Last edited:

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I agree. I think a rotation will happen just to maintain normalcy of the Standard format.

The alternative is a super large Standard format with a massive wave of sets dropping off after Worlds. Imagine having Ultra Prism-Cosmic Eclipse for an extra year, and all of them dropping off the face of Standard all at once.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I agree. I think a rotation will happen just to maintain normalcy of the Standard format.

The alternative is a super large Standard format with a massive wave of sets dropping off after Worlds. Imagine having Ultra Prism-Cosmic Eclipse for an extra year, and all of them dropping off the face of Standard all at once.
Yeah, that large a collection of sets would create problems down the road. Hopefully I caught most of the important cards on what I think rotation will be. It will definitely be different, but nowhere near as painful as last year's rotation.

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
It's a good list, but I feel like there are additions I would have made:

UPR
Rampardos
Darkrai Prism Star
Silvally-GX (Gyro Unit)
Fire Memory
Xurkitree-GX
Lusamine
Solgaleo-GX (Sol Burst)

FLI
Pheromosa
Palkia-GX
Volcanion Prism Star
Goomy (Sticky Membrane)
Energy Recycler

CES
Swampert
Electrode-GX
Alolan Raticate-GX
Fisherman
Hustle Belt
Lure Ball
Sky Pillar
Super Scoop Up
Tate & Liza

LOT
Meganium
Shuckle
Slowking
Mareep (Fluffy Pillow)
Alolan Ninetales-GX
Ribombee
Wait and See Hammer

Promos (assuming SM158-on after rotation, which would be the first prerelease promo for Team Up)
Psychic Mimikyu (Copycat)
Solgaleo-GX (Turbo Strike)
Dusk Mane Necrozma

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
It's a good list, but I feel like there are additions I would have made:

UPR
Rampardos
Darkrai Prism Star
Silvally-GX (Gyro Unit)
Fire Memory
Xurkitree-GX
Lusamine
Solgaleo-GX (Sol Burst)

FLI
Pheromosa
Palkia-GX
Volcanion Prism Star
Goomy (Sticky Membrane)
Energy Recycler

CES
Swampert
Electrode-GX
Alolan Raticate-GX
Fisherman
Hustle Belt
Lure Ball
Sky Pillar
Super Scoop Up
Tate & Liza

LOT
Meganium
Shuckle
Slowking
Mareep (Fluffy Pillow)
Alolan Ninetales-GX
Ribombee
Wait and See Hammer

Promos (assuming SM158-on after rotation, which would be the first prerelease promo for Team Up)
Psychic Mimikyu (Copycat)
Solgaleo-GX (Turbo Strike)
Dusk Mane Necrozma
I was trying to keep it to cards that mostly see competitive play. A lot of the ones you mentioned I have on my personal list, but didn't include on the list I put up on this post. You did catch a few I missed though. I will add them to the list. Namely Lusamine, Solgaleo-GX promo, Tate & Liza, and Mareep. Most of the others see very rare fringe play, with the exception of super scoop up, which I figured was dead anyway with scoop up net coming out. Thanks for the additional list though as some players may play those.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I'm excited this time for this year's rotation. Alot of standard will be mostly the same except for the loss of Malamar and Stall/Control variants that rely on Oranguru. The latter people will be happy to see gone.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
There are plenty others there that don’t see competitive play either.
You must not play much then. Dragonite GX has seen a good bit of play in Mewbox (which is tier 1 at the moment), Granbull has been off and on with a lot of people playing it on YouTube videos, Lele in spread decks, and Pachirisu in Nuzzlechu, just to name a few of those. I haven't been at a tournament where I didn't see a few variants of Nuzzlechu being played. Shuckle GX has been floated into several stall variants with energy removal to lock opponents.

Also, Order pads are everywhere. I guarantee you that if you check any tournament or even YouTube streamer (i.e. Azul, Omnipoke, TrickyGym) that they have videos of competitive decks playing Order pads. I could have conceded your arguments a little on the other cards, but definitely not this one. It sees far more play than the others.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
There are no good recent spread decks, youtube videos doesnt mean competitive play, for dragonite it doesnt see much play anymore, mewmew isnt tier 1, and wrong dragonite. Stall in standard? Nice joke

Last edited:

Yoan Sanchhez

Aspiring Trainer
I may also think there will be a TCG Rotation for the upcoming 2021 season.
However, most events will not reinforce the use of Standard format due the difficulty of getting the product outside some regions.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer

Also, Order pads are everywhere. I guarantee you that if you check any tournament or even YouTube streamer (i.e. Azul, Omnipoke, TrickyGym) that they have videos of competitive decks playing Order pads. I could have conceded your arguments a little on the other cards, but definitely not this one. It sees far more play than the others.
If you look at all of the results of the major UPR-SSH tournaments on limitlesstcg.com, you see a whopping 0 amount of order pads used! So yeah I checked multiple tournaments, and that guarantee was wrong.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I may also think there will be a TCG Rotation for the upcoming 2021 season.
However, most events will not reinforce the use of Standard format due the difficulty of getting the product outside some regions.
Yeah I don't think we will see events that use standard until possibly July at the earliest, and that is pretty optimistic. Could be more realistic to see no having new events until October or later. It's funny you mention getting product as we are in a state in the US that is locked down, so we can't even purchase Rebel Clash from our local store when it releases because our store is closed due to lockdown until into May.