Discussion 2021 Rotation

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Kenatta_tcg, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Kenatta_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Kenatta_tcg

So I realize nothing official has been announced about rotation, but I and a lot of other people still believe it will happen. There are a number of reasons. First, to keep the format fresh. Second, to minimize complications in rulings between varying sets. Third, to keep the blocks of cards together. Those are just a few reasons. With that said, I believe based on blocks that new standard will be Team Up (TEU) and onward. That means that for the start of the 2021 Pokémon year we will have Team Up, Detective Pikachu (if you could call that a set), Unbroken Bonds, Unified Minds, Hidden Fates (the few cards that are legal), Cosmic Eclipse, Sword & Shield, and Rebel Clash.

I must admin that after looking at the impact it is nowhere near as bad as last year, where we were left with an almost barren format. The 2020 rotation saw the removal of almost all ball search (ultra ball and nest ball) and gust effects (Guzma). Not to mention we had next to nothing to replace them. That being said, here are the sets rotating and cards I feel are impactful. If I miss anything or make a mistake please feel free to post a correction and I will try to update the list. Hope this helps

Promos
    Solgaleo-GX

Ultra Prism
    Pachirisu
    Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
    Tapu Lele (Magical Swap)
    Oranguru
    Cynthia
    Cyrus Prism Star
    Escape Board
    Lillie
    Lusamine
    Mars
    Order Pad
    Volkner
    Unit Energy (GFW)
    Unit Energy (LPM)

Forbidden Light
    Malamar
    Naganadel GX
    Diance Prism Star
    Buzzwole
    Yveltal GX
    Florges
    Ultra Necrozma GX
    Beast Ring
    Judge (although Marnie is far better now)
    Lysandre Labs
    Metal Frying Pan
    Mysterious Treasure
    Ultra Space
    Beast Energy
    Unit Energy (FDF)

Celestial Storm
    Magcargo
    Articuno GX
    Rayquaza GX
    Acro Bike
    Shrine of Punishment
    Steven's Resolve
    Tate & Liza
    Rainbow Energy

Dragon Majesty
    Victini Prism Star
    Quagsire
    Dragonite GX
    Turtonator
    Fiery Flint

Lost Thunder
    Jumpluff
    Shuckle GX
    Virizion GX
    Magcargo GX
    Blacephalon GX
    Mareep
    Zebstrika
    Zeraora GX
    Wobbuffet
    Girafarig
    Shedinja
    Giratina
    Nihilego
    Naganadel
    Granbull
    Xerneas Prism Star
    Ditto Prism Star
    Lugia GX
    Adventure Bag
    Choice Helmet
    Counter Gain
    Custom Catcher
    Electropower
    Faba
    Fairy Charm G/P/F/D
    Heat Factory Prism Star
    Life Forest Prism Star
    Lost Blender
    Lusamine Prism Star
    Net Ball
    Professor Elm's Lecture
    Spell Tag
    Thunder Mountain Prism Star

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020

2. Merovingian Dead Game Enthusiast
    Merovingian

Articles Head Member

I agree. I think a rotation will happen just to maintain normalcy of the Standard format.

The alternative is a super large Standard format with a massive wave of sets dropping off after Worlds. Imagine having Ultra Prism-Cosmic Eclipse for an extra year, and all of them dropping off the face of Standard all at once.

3. Kenatta_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Kenatta_tcg

Yeah, that large a collection of sets would create problems down the road. Hopefully I caught most of the important cards on what I think rotation will be. It will definitely be different, but nowhere near as painful as last year's rotation.

4. Timmony_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Timmony_tcg

It's a good list, but I feel like there are additions I would have made:

UPR
    Rampardos
    Darkrai Prism Star
    Silvally-GX (Gyro Unit)
    Fire Memory
    Xurkitree-GX
    Lusamine
    Solgaleo-GX (Sol Burst)

FLI
    Pheromosa
    Palkia-GX
    Volcanion Prism Star
    Goomy (Sticky Membrane)
    Energy Recycler

CES
    Swampert
    Electrode-GX
    Alolan Raticate-GX
    Fisherman
    Hustle Belt
    Lure Ball
    Sky Pillar
    Super Scoop Up
    Tate & Liza

LOT
    Meganium
    Shuckle
    Slowking
    Mareep (Fluffy Pillow)
    Alolan Ninetales-GX
    Ribombee
    Wait and See Hammer

Promos (assuming SM158-on after rotation, which would be the first prerelease promo for Team Up)
    Psychic Mimikyu (Copycat)
    Solgaleo-GX (Turbo Strike)
    Dusk Mane Necrozma

5. Kenatta_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Kenatta_tcg

I was trying to keep it to cards that mostly see competitive play. A lot of the ones you mentioned I have on my personal list, but didn't include on the list I put up on this post. You did catch a few I missed though. I will add them to the list. Namely Lusamine, Solgaleo-GX promo, Tate & Liza, and Mareep. Most of the others see very rare fringe play, with the exception of super scoop up, which I figured was dead anyway with scoop up net coming out. Thanks for the additional list though as some players may play those.

6. jamashawalker Ikouze!
    jamashawalker

I'm excited this time for this year's rotation. Alot of standard will be mostly the same except for the loss of Malamar and Stall/Control variants that rely on Oranguru. The latter people will be happy to see gone.

7. SableyeGuy Aspiring Trainer
    SableyeGuy

Hmm, yes, dragonite gx, shuckle, shuckle gx, granbull, tapu lele, pachirisu, and order pads are my favorite cards that see competitive play.

8. SableyeGuy Aspiring Trainer
    SableyeGuy

There are plenty others there that don’t see competitive play either.

9. Kenatta_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Kenatta_tcg

You must not play much then. Dragonite GX has seen a good bit of play in Mewbox (which is tier 1 at the moment), Granbull has been off and on with a lot of people playing it on YouTube videos, Lele in spread decks, and Pachirisu in Nuzzlechu, just to name a few of those. I haven't been at a tournament where I didn't see a few variants of Nuzzlechu being played. Shuckle GX has been floated into several stall variants with energy removal to lock opponents.

Also, Order pads are everywhere. I guarantee you that if you check any tournament or even YouTube streamer (i.e. Azul, Omnipoke, TrickyGym) that they have videos of competitive decks playing Order pads. I could have conceded your arguments a little on the other cards, but definitely not this one. It sees far more play than the others.

bunnybird12 likes this.
  10. SableyeGuy Aspiring Trainer
    SableyeGuy

There are no good recent spread decks, youtube videos doesnt mean competitive play, for dragonite it doesnt see much play anymore, mewmew isnt tier 1, and wrong dragonite. Stall in standard? Nice joke

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  11. Yoan Sanchhez Aspiring Trainer
    Yoan Sanchhez

I may also think there will be a TCG Rotation for the upcoming 2021 season.
    However, most events will not reinforce the use of Standard format due the difficulty of getting the product outside some regions.

12. SableyeGuy Aspiring Trainer
    SableyeGuy

If you look at all of the results of the major UPR-SSH tournaments on limitlesstcg.com, you see a whopping 0 amount of order pads used! So yeah I checked multiple tournaments, and that guarantee was wrong.

13. Kenatta_tcg Aspiring Trainer
    Kenatta_tcg

Yeah I don't think we will see events that use standard until possibly July at the earliest, and that is pretty optimistic. Could be more realistic to see no having new events until October or later. It's funny you mention getting product as we are in a state in the US that is locked down, so we can't even purchase Rebel Clash from our local store when it releases because our store is closed due to lockdown until into May.

14. cardgjammer Aspiring Trainer
    cardgjammer

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?