Duraludon Promo in 'CoroCoro Ichiban!'

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Now that we are getting closer to the sets and know all of the Pokémon (apart from some that might be added to the game later), I'm curious about how the sets after the base set will be designed. Which themes - areas, types, teams etc.
In some way I hope that not already 80-90 % of the new Pokémon are in the first 2 sets. But if they are so huge, they might be.

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
Now that we are getting closer to the sets and know all of the Pokémon (apart from some that might be added to the game later), I'm curious about how the sets after the base set will be designed. Which themes - areas, types, teams etc.
In some way I hope that not already 80-90 % of the new Pokémon are in the first 2 sets. But if they are so huge, they might be.
I imagine the flagship cards of each set after base will be the different Gigantimax forms like XY had it with Mega Evolutions. But since the sets are so hudge we will more than likely get all the new Pokemon within the first year. If all the SWSH sets have 200+ cards, we are looking at 2400 cards from its twelve sets.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Looking at the Resistance, I wonder if Poison may be back to Grass instead of Psychic? Steel-types are immune to Poison after all...?

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting if they did indeed revert Poison's TCG energy. On one hand I've always felt Poison makes more sense with Grass and Bug thematically. On the other hand, it will be weird to see Eternatus cards using green energy instead of purple.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Duraludon is like... the worst Gen 8 Pokemon. Why do they keep trying to push it on us? lol

softsoph

Aspiring Trainer
Duraludon is like... the worst Gen 8 Pokemon. Why do they keep trying to push it on us? lol
I agree with this so much.
This Pokemon really sucks.
Its design is an actual failure because it's supposed to have the same aesthetic and menacing dragon appeal like Tyranitar and it looks like a minecraft mob.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Looking at the Resistance, I wonder if Poison may be back to Grass instead of Psychic? Steel-types are immune to Poison after all...?
I think they won't revert the Poison typing the way it was before. If Poison represents by Grass, we assume all Plants are poisonous. And things like Muk has no relation to plants at all.
  • Duraludon - I can't wait to see Duraludon Towers... I mean Duraludon VMAX. This card is a flatout vanilla. 3 Geodudes

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I mean, what are these things? They're getting further and further away from cool and more into the realm of desperate.
I agree with this so much.
This Pokemon really sucks.
Its design is an actual failure because it's supposed to have the same aesthetic and menacing dragon appeal like Tyranitar and it looks like a minecraft mob.

*Quietly stands in the corner as I slowly realize I'm the only Duraludon fan out here*

softsoph

Aspiring Trainer
*Quietly stands in the corner as I slowly realize I'm the only Duraludon fan out here*
The reason I am harsh on this Pokemon is mostly that it's supposed to be "Tyranitar's sworn rival". I just don't get this sentiment as nothing about this Pokemon looks cool or menacing to me. I liked it at first because of the strange looking design but after it was described to be Tyranitar's rival that really made me scratch my head.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
The reason I am harsh on this Pokemon is mostly that it's supposed to be "Tyranitar's sworn rival". I just don't get this sentiment as nothing about this Pokemon looks cool or menacing to me. I liked it at first because of the strange looking design but after it was described to be Tyranitar's rival that really made me scratch my head.
I can see that. That part I'm kinda like "Yeah no that doesn't look like something that could rival Tyranitar of all Pokemon. It's not even a pseudo legend..." But at the other hand, I always like the big monster lookin' Pokemon like the Nidos and whatnot. Duraludon is a little weird looking granted, but there's something about it I just really like.

Now Eiscue on the other hand, I could blast that thing all day he's the WORST.

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
Hold up on Eiscue, can we start bashing the Fossils?
I mean, I get the concept of why they look the way they do but the concept doesn't work.

On the other hand, it'll be interesting to see how they implement the fossils this time around in the TCG.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
But if poison didn't revert back to Grass Energy, Steel having [G] resist make much less sense when the is an obvious Poison Immunity instead of just 1/4 Grass Resistance. Or tcg just would be more wonky then ever

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
o
Rock types are weak to Steel type moves. That alone is a good enough reason.

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
I mean, what are these things? They're getting further and further away from cool and more into the realm of desperate.
Maybe actually look at more designs before you make HUGE generalizations like that. And, for your information, the first 2 gens had the worst fudging designs and ideas ever. A purple pile of sludge? A fire dragon? Wow, creative!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Maybe actually look at more designs before you make HUGE generalizations like that. And, for your information, the first 2 gens had the worst fudging designs and ideas ever. A purple pile of sludge? A fire dragon? Wow, creative!
That’s a bit subjective, though. Like personally I think every gen has good designs overall and it doesn’t really have to be creative to be effective. A lot of the first two gens are very simplistic yet effective in doing so. Look at something like Jigglypuff, it’s a ball with legs and a cute face. There’s not much to it, but it’s a memorable design nonetheless. Stuff that’s complex as well can be effective, such as the Kyurems, which have a LOT going on with them but they’re still effective.

For me I think each gen, like I’ve said, has its own winners and losers. The originals had the Nidos who are STILL some of the best looking Pokémon to me. Gen 3 has amazing stuff like Aggron and Rayquaza, but then you’ve got Volbeat and Grumpig. Gen 7 has Golisopod, the Ultra Beasts, etc. but then you’ve got Tsareena who is like a terrible looking Lilligant clone. This gen gave us SO many good new ones, like Hatterene and Toxitricity (like the best Pokémon this entire generation), but then you’ve got Morpeko and Eiscue whose pure existences are a sin.

Of course all that’s my opinion, I know people love and hate different Pokémon but I just wanted to add my take on it.