• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Post Rotation Mally (Box)

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I cut the gengar in preparation for the cup tomorrow.
Added a cynthia.
I still have flashbacks to that win-a-box.
I think it's PTSD at this point...

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
[Copy pasted from discord because I'm lazy]
1st cup down
got 4th/3rd
don't know don't care
same points same prizes
3-1-1 all in all
4 rounds + top cut of 4
1st round against mew mew box
win
2nd round against gardeon
prized the latios but he bricked and I just ultra-ed 2 turns in a row for game
3rd round
ID against keldeo bronzong
He wanted to ID and I wasn't confident it the matchup
we played a game for fun
won that
4th round against mew mew
he bricked and I took it
top cut
against greenzard
1st game bricked
had to attack with mew for like 4 turns
2nd game he was too fast and played it superbly
I heard he had a channeler so I was scared to clear vision
2nd game came down to my ultra not hitting the bin before the reset stamp
would have won but I think I prized it
anyway, not in there
4th is fine
that's what I need as a senior
just need points
tomorrow there should be a smaller crowd though
today we had 10
but the sunday one is capped at 30 because the shop doesn't have a lot of space
I know there are at least 4 seniors though
Overall, happy with my performance and can't wait for tomorrow

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
League cup #2 of the weekend.
Got 2-2.
Not great.
No points.

1st round: win
Played against pikarom and he got the turn 2 custom catcher thunder mountain tag bolt KO on my ultra.
I went in with dawn wings.
He didn't get the double catcher but volkner-ed for 1 for next turn.
I ko the pikarom.
He KOs the dawn wings with zeroara.
I KO with a mew mew copying ultra.
He has game if he has the koko in deck with double catcher dede KO.
He doesn't have koko in deck.
F in the chat for this boy, guys.

2nd round: win
Greenzard
This is a good matchup if I can keep a forest in hand at all times to counter the plant.
I did that so I won.

3rd round: lose
Against breloom.
This is where I made the misplay that I've been kicking myself for for the last 3 hours.
I sky scorching light GXed to go down to 1 prize left.
He had 1 left.
He needed double catcher off a cynthia so he could KO with froslass.
He hit it.
I scooped.
I FORGOT THAT THE FROSLASS WOULD DIE TOO.
I'm so dumb...
Anyway, that's how you learn...

4th round: lose
I lost to the same guy who I lost to in top cut yesterday.
Feels bad.
He stuck the plant.
I didn't find the forest.
GG

Big oof for me but I still got the top 4 on Saturday so the weekend wasn't a total bust.
Overall, the deck was good and very consistent.
It did what it set out to do and if I wouldn't have been DUMB, I would have gotten points both days.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
League cup #2 of the weekend.
Got 2-2.
Not great.
No points.

1st round: win
Played against pikarom and he got the turn 2 custom catcher thunder mountain tag bolt KO on my ultra.
I went in with dawn wings.
He didn't get the double catcher but volkner-ed for 1 for next turn.
I ko the pikarom.
He KOs the dawn wings with zeroara.
I KO with a mew mew copying ultra.
He has game if he has the koko in deck with double catcher dede KO.
He doesn't have koko in deck.
F in the chat for this boy, guys.

2nd round: win
Greenzard
This is a good matchup if I can keep a forest in hand at all times to counter the plant.
I did that so I won.

3rd round: lose
Against breloom.
This is where I made the misplay that I've been kicking myself for for the last 3 hours.
I sky scorching light GXed to go down to 1 prize left.
He had 1 left.
He needed double catcher off a cynthia so he could KO with froslass.
He hit it.
I scooped.
I FORGOT THAT THE FROSLASS WOULD DIE TOO.
I'm so dumb...
Anyway, that's how you learn...

4th round: lose
I lost to the same guy who I lost to in top cut yesterday.
Feels bad.
He stuck the plant.
I didn't find the forest.
GG

Big oof for me but I still got the top 4 on Saturday so the weekend wasn't a total bust.
Overall, the deck was good and very consistent.
It did what it set out to do and if I wouldn't have been DUMB, I would have gotten points both days.
Do you play best of 3 or best of 1?

Every event that I’ve been to is always 3, but it sounds like it might be different in the states than to Australia?

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Thanks for the details on how to play.

Please, any update to the list?

Thank you
No changes right now. I will test for post cosmic eclipse when the list is officially released (which should be soon).
I need to update the matchups post but not right now because I’m writing this from a tablet. Tomorrow...
IDK, tomorrow is a win-a-box.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Cosmic Eclipse prereleases should be the last week of October afaik. I think it should fully release the first Friday of November, or maybe that’s when it becomes standard legal? I’m not 100% sure, but it’ll be some time around then.

Last edited:

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I mean like the set list not WHEN the set releases.
It will happen BEFORE the prerelease and those happen in 2 weeks so it will be released in the next week or so, in theory.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
My prerelease is in 3 weeks, the set releases on the 1st Friday of November and then the set is legal 3 weeks later, on the 3rd Friday of November.
So I have time.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
So I won a win-a-box and won this session XP thing where you get "XP" whenever you win/come to an event at the store.
So I just won 2 boxes.
And the store owner is cool and he let me preorder for cosmic eclipse.
So 2 cosmic eclipse boxes!

Anyway, matchups:
2-0-1

1st Round:
Played against mew mew.
Good matchup.
Except I started with the worst of hands.
I looked at my hand, and then asked if it was best of 3.
lol
Anyway, I stuck with that game for a while because he bricked too but eventually conceded.
Game 2, I got set up, and he conceded and we went to game 3.
In game 3, we ran out of time and I couldn't finish it out.
Would have won...

2nd Round:
Poipole stall
easy matchup
Just sat there using mew to take prizes.

3rd Round:
Chandulure
1st game I got ahead on the prize trade, GG
2nd game, I DIDN'T get ahead on the prize trade but he ran out of attackers when he was at 2 prizes.
If he had an attacker, I still would have won because I have dawn wings to get ahead on the trade.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Very good for the boxes!
How is your matchup against Gardevoir&Sylveon?
Actually really good.
I clear vision to block the xerneas and then am free to tag purge for the rest of the game or ultra for KOs.
They can't block the combination of latios and ultra with 1 charm so there is always something I can attack with.
I can even tina if the ultra gets KOed.

Rand Eaton

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Here is my decklist of mally post rotation.
4 Inkay
1 Ditto Prism Star
4 Malamar
2 Mewtwo & Mew GX
1 Ultra Necrozma GX
1 Latios GX
1 Naganadel GX (the new one)
1 Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
1 Mew
1 Giratina
2 Dedenne GX
4 Lillie
4 Cynthia
4 Mysterious Treasure
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Cherish Ball
4 Acro Bike
3 Viridian Forest
3 Switch
2 Escape Board
7 Psychic Energy
3 Metal Energy

I'm constantly editing this as I make changes so the comments below might be talking about stuff that is cut from the list.

Been testing this as well and when the setup lands it's pretty unstoppable. Any updates to report?

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Been testing this as well and when the setup lands it's pretty unstoppable. Any updates to report?
No, not really.
League challenge on sunday and then expanded after that until next set is legal.
I haven't done any testing with this past cosmic, mostly because no one has cosmic decks yet but I know it will be rough because we're not getting much good tricks and great catcher will ruin our blace matchup and mew mew matchup, particularly. I haven't played with mimikyu yet, though. That might affect the mew mew matchup.

Mainly, IDK what will happen with this post cosmic but right now the future seems kind of grim.

(same thing happened with unbroken bonds)

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
No, not really.
League challenge on sunday and then expanded after that until next set is legal.
I haven't done any testing with this past cosmic, mostly because no one has cosmic decks yet but I know it will be rough because we're not getting much good tricks and great catcher will ruin our blace matchup and mew mew matchup, particularly. I haven't played with mimikyu yet, though. That might affect the mew mew matchup.

Mainly, IDK what will happen with this post cosmic but right now the future seems kind of grim.

(same thing happened with unbroken bonds)

Pros for Mally in cosmic eclipse:
  • Blacephelon-EXCELLENT POKEMON IN MALAMAR! spreading 120 damage is better in practice than on paper
  • mimikyu- I haven't tested it yet either. But it looks great vs the mewthree matchup EDIT: just thought of it. It also helps in the Dark box and SilvallyVolcarona matchup
  • ROSA- yes yes yes!! this card is everything Malamar needed and more.
  • Orocoria+Amulet if you wish to go this route. I've been testing and it's pretty good
  • Lastly, cosmic eclipse is bringing a few non-gx archetypes(don't know if they'll be good or not) but all of them are checked by Malamar.

Last edited:

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
  • Blacephelon-EXCELLENT POKEMON IN MALAMAR! spreading 120 damage is better in practice than on paper
  • mimikyu- I haven't tested it yet either. But it looks great vs the mewthree matchup EDIT: just thought of it. It also helps in the Dark box and SilvallyVolcarona matchup
  • Orocoria+Amulet if you wish to go this route. I've been testing and it's pretty good
  • Lastly, cosmic eclipse is bringing a few non-gx archetypes(don't know if they'll be good or not) but all of them are checked by Malamar.
Rosa is good for tinatags, not mally box.
Mally box functions like mew mew in the sense that they ko 2-3 prizers.
The tina option is not really viable because I don't run tags and I have to bench dede to get set up.
Maybe an amulet or two...
That would work.
I'll play around with it sometime.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Issue is, if GuzzNaga becomes a big issue it has basically autowin against mally