New Pokemon Officially Announced, But It's a Glitched Image!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Sirfetch'd is a generic Pokemon with no redeeming qualities. Mono Fighting is one of the most boring types there is. Steadfast is useful in doubles, I'll admit, but you probably won't see it unless there's no better option.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Not a massive fan of this tbh, hoping it'll grow on me over time.

Also, quick theory: Bea, the Fighting type gym leader (who's exclusive to Sword) will use Sirfetch'd (also Sword exclusive). Allister, the Ghost gym leader (exclusive to Shield) will have a yet to be revealed Shield exclusive Ghost type Galarian form

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I just realized that Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd are the same height. :[

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
I just realized that Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd are the same height. :[

That is a problem how? If you look at Klink's evolution line carefully, Klang and Klinklang are ALSO the same height, but no one at the time was complaining about it.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Escavalier? That means we also get Accelgor. You know Karrablast evolved into Escavalier when Karrablast and Shelmet are being traded to each other.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
As for Farfetch'd carrying Eviolite, even with Farfetch'd gaining 50% more defences, Farfetch'd isn't anything spectacular, with only it's Sp Def of 93 (with Eviolite)

You give the 50% bonus to the actual stat number, not the base stat. With an Eviolite, Farfetch'd's base SD would be closer to 120. Either way it's not going to be a wall though. lol

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
Eh, short of recieving a game breaking hidden ability, Sirfetch'd will probably be a trashmon.

The competition for pure Fighting types is fierce. Passimian also gets Defiant and has a well rounded stat distribution and movepool. Conkeldurr and Machamp are already good bulky breakers, while Hitmontop acts as a nice pivot and hazard control. For an outright defensive wall it's hard to see anything topping Throh. And again, that's just for pure Fighting types. Dual typing is normally way more preferable.

So how could Sirfetch'd differentiate itself? It will get First Impression, Defog and Roost so that's neat. I can see Sirfetch'd learning Cross Chop to abuse Stick, and along with Leaf Blade and Night Slash this is all the coverage it probably wants... But still, although a guaranteed critical hit sounds nice (x1.5 power), for wall breaking it's not that much more impressive than a Life Orb boost (x1.3). Reliance on a hold item isn't so hot either, as it means Sirfetch'd can't act as a good Knock Off sponge.

I'm not holding my breath on this guy. It might have been a different story if they went with Fighting / Flying, although this doesn't mesh well with the concept obviously.

ShaunTheBoufflant

Like No One Ever Was
Description says after loads of battling, or of sorts.

See the level 60 next to Sir fetch'd

I'm never using a farfetched in that many battles, for such a pointless evolution. If it was fighting and another type might've been more inclined.

But this is just a no if it legit evolves at lv60

FossilJockeyMG

Pokémon Paleontologist
I see a lot of talk about Sirfetch'd probably being crap, however without knowing stats or if it has the very real possibility of having a Gigantamax form, that seems a bit premature.

Are chances good that it won't be some top tier threat? Oh yea, for sure. However, a good bit of the hyperbolic negative vitriol seems a bit much. Just say you don't like it and why without being a tool. Seems reasonable.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
I hate to say it but I'm pretty disappointed.

TL;DR: Sirfetch'd doesn't look or feel like an evolution to Farfetch'd -- it just looks like a Galarian forme. If it had been a simple Galarian forme I wouldn't be disappointed -- I'd actually have been excited. But the way it is now, you can hardly call it an evolution.

Reasons:

1) Looks. Sure, since the original R/B dex entries, Farfetch'd has been using its leek as a sword. So it does seem like a natural progression to evolve into a proper leek-sword-wielding duck. But it doesn't look like an improvement, it just looks like a white coloured variant that learned how to sharpen its Stick and fashion a shield -- which sounds like the lore for a regional forme, not an evolution. There's no real addition to the design, no added armour or bells and whistles, etc.

2) Typing. The typing is really frustrating. Particularly dropping both of its original typings. There is currently only one analog for this -- Alolan Marowak. But just because there is an analog doesn't make it okay nor does it help it make any more sense. Imo Alolan Marowak should have evolved from a Ground/Ghost or Fire/Ground (or even Fire/Ghost/Fire-Ghost) Alolan Cubone just like all the other Alolan formes. Seeing them repeat that with another classic Pokemon is just sad. It's still literally a bird (as mentioned above, it's basically the exact same bird), and even if it's new utensils make it more difficult to actually fly, it easily could have retained the Flying type to be Fighting/Flying. It's not like there are no Flying types that don't actually fly (ex: Mantine) and it certainly looks like Sirfetch'd could be either a) strong enough to fly while carrying its tools, or b) able to fly without them. Maybe it spent so much time training on the ground that it forgot entirely how to fly / forgot the essence of being a Flying type? It doesn't really make sense. Perhaps it would have been more acceptable had it been a big, burly duck like Buzzwole with a sword or something (and even then probably not), but currently it's just frustrating.

WithGreatPower

Aspiring Trainer
You know what would be cool - if instead of taking a turn to recharge after meteor impact, it flinched the next turn, setting up steadfast.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
We already know this is going to be a pretty small gen based on Melmetal's pokedex number unfortunately

Edit: The number that we got for his file as a placeholder in go, not the officially revealed one that we have now
I'm glad we're getting less Pokemon, not more. The quality of the designs has been pretty good (except for the teapot), it's better to end on a high note.

Also imagine caring about competitive VG like it's not pure coinflips lmao. 99% of players have no interest in that.

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
One thing I didn't pick up on before: After looking at the trailer, the revealed HP values seem to indicate that Sirfetch'd keeps a base HP stat around that of its pre-evolution (52).

I'd be surprised if it got the Scyther -> Scizor treatment (wherein it keeps the same BST but redistributed). If we assume that stat increases are handled similarly to the gen 4 evos (Lickilicky, Misdreavus, Electivire, etc.) then a BST of ~100 seems like reasonable speculation, and it probably loses a little Speed too.

You could with something pretty standard like 52 / 135 / 110 / 58 / 92 / 30... Or maybe you could min-max it to hell and back like Mega Beedrill.

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
Also imagine caring about competitive VG like it's not pure coinflips lmao. 99% of players have no interest in that.

I care, it's a fun game. Speculation and theorymon has always been one of the more enjoyable parts of new generation hype, as baseless as it normally is (I remember during gen 4's inception when people were worried about Rhyperior being broken).

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Imagine being so convinced by name and appearance alone that something is not worth your time, and so toxic that you need to make sure strangers on the internet pay attention to your disappointment.

[citation desperately needed]

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
[citation desperately needed]

Number of copies of S&M sold: 16 million.
Peak viewership of VG championship on Twitch: 14 thousand.
(btw TCG got a slightly higher peak, which does make me smile)

That means roughly 0,000875% of all players watched the finals. If competitive players do make 1% of the purchases, then less than 10% watched the finals.
Even though this is all far from scientific, Pokemon is mainly a kids' game. It'd be a significant stretch to say that people interested in competitive "crossing fingers for a random Crit" are more than a blip in the sea of casual players buying Pokemon for the single-player.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
One thing I didn't pick up on before: After looking at the trailer, the revealed HP values seem to indicate that Sirfetch'd keeps a base HP stat around that of its pre-evolution (52).

I'd be surprised if it got the Scyther -> Scizor treatment (wherein it keeps the same BST but redistributed). If we assume that stat increases are handled similarly to the gen 4 evos (Lickilicky, Misdreavus, Electivire, etc.) then a BST of ~100 seems like reasonable speculation, and it probably loses a little Speed too.

You could with something pretty standard like 52 / 135 / 110 / 58 / 92 / 30... Or maybe you could min-max it to hell and back like Mega Beedrill.

The Gen 4 cross-gens varied a LOT in BST gain. Yanma-Yanmega was a 125-point gain for example, and Dusclops-Dusknoir was 70. They're more commonly around the 120ish mark, though. That being said, I don't think they treat cross-gen Pokemon any differently statwise to any other Pokemon. If previous cross-gens are an indicator, though, it'll probably hit around 520ish BST, since Farfetch'd's Gen 7 BST is pretty close to Nosepass's, and Probopass is 525.

Regardless, there's too many unknowns to know for sure either way. Aside from Farfetch'd's movepool (which does include a few good moves like Leaf Blade and First Impression that are fairly unique), we have no real indicators as to how good Sirfetch'd could be. It's also worth pointing out that we don't know Sirfetch'd's Hidden Ability, and Farfetch'd gets Defiant, which is a very good ability.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Number of copies of S&M sold: 16 million.
Peak viewership of VG championship on Twitch: 14 thousand.
(btw TCG got a slightly higher peak, which does make me smile)

That means roughly 0,000875% of all players watched the finals. If competitive players do make 1% of the purchases, then less than 10% watched the finals.
Even though this is all far from scientific, Pokemon is mainly a kids' game. It'd be a significant stretch to say that people interested in competitive "crossing fingers for a random Crit" are more than a blip in the sea of casual players buying Pokemon for the single-player.
That's because a large chunk of people hate that big legends were avaible. Also I like to play competitive not watch it so I'm sure others are the same