• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Post Rotation Mally (Box)

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I took the espeon & deoxys out because it's too niche. Usually, I want to use clear vision or another GX attack, not espeon.
Also, I made room for acro bikes. They have definitely helped the consistency. Cut 1 forest, the hapu, the espeon, and a psychic energy.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
I took the espeon & deoxys out because it's too niche. Usually, I want to use clear vision or another GX attack, not espeon.
Also, I made room for acro bikes. They have definitely helped the consistency. Cut 1 forest, the hapu, the espeon, and a psychic energy.
Hey, mind posting a refined list?

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
also, how does mally non gx stack up against this? You may have an issue with trying the tag purge approach

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Hey, mind posting a refined list?
Does it not show the mew and the acro bikes?
In the list?
I update it directly instead of posting the list many, many times.
The mally mirror is bad. They have spell tags and espeon so they can KO your mally faster than you can theirs. They rely on jirachi though so you can also KO that with ultra. I honestly haven't tested it without the espeon in there. Will update.

Deathfinch

The Great
have you thought about blissey from LOT to take care of gardeon and such? used with lots of potential in my mally box deck

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
have you thought about blissey from LOT to take care of gardeon and such? used with lots of potential in my mally box deck
What does it do that is better than ultra?
It doesn't do enough damage.
I would rather hit 80 for each energy than hit 80 for each energy half the time.
I can see how it can be good, though.
Just not better than ultra.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
You need 5-6 on you to have a probable chance of KO on keldeo and ultra goes around charms, too. If they attach UB charm, you have mew mew. If they attach psychic/ability, you have ultra.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
My biggest question is: how do you make this consistent? The dedenne take up useful space, and you would be better of running purely mewtwo tag.
This deck IS consistent.
Yes, it bricks sometimes, but so does pikarom, blace, and green's.

Dede is important for the deck to run.
In a regular mally, you don't play cherish balls because you don't run many gxs.
Because of this, you just don't run that many dedes, instead you run jirachi.
But jirachi is not as good to get set up as dede is.
In a malamar deck, the main goal is to get set up.
If you get set up, you win. If you don't, you lose.
Jirachi only gets you 1 trainer at a time, but multiple over the course of the game.
With dede, you get way more cards, just only for 1 turn.
Because of this, dede is better if you want to set up FAST.
But to make good use of it, you have to play cherish ball.
Something that most mally builds don't do, which is understandable.
They can't play the dede engine, even though it's better.
This makes them set up less consistently, which makes them lose more often.

This is why I play dede over jirachi.
Jirachi is good and all, but in THIS specific deck, where you need 3 inkay turn 1 and 2 mally turn 2, dede is better.
Dede also discards cards which helps get energy in the discard. Another important thing you need turn 1-2.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
My biggest question is: how do you make this consistent? The dedenne take up useful space, and you would be better of running purely mewtwo tag.
Also, on the mew mew topic, I've said this before but I'll say it again.

The thing is that the mew mew box is JUST mew mew. If people counter mew mew, you lose.
Mally box HAS mew mew and USES mew mew to its fullest extent, BUT it has other ways to win BESIDES mew mew.

Mew mew box is overall faster than mally box but mally box can put on more pressure throughout the game.
And the mew mew decks running around right now (without detective pikachu greninja) do not have an answer to latios after the clear vision.
Also, the big KO option (magcargo) in mew mew is hard to pull off 2 turns in a row. With mally, you just need a switch (basically).
Having to find the welder EVERY turn is just hard.
Mally also has the tina option so it can prize trade with non-gx decks effectively, unlike mew mew.

Mew mew box is a good deck, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that mally has more power over the course of the game than mew mew.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Also, on the mew mew topic, I've said this before but I'll say it again.

The thing is that the mew mew box is JUST mew mew. If people counter mew mew, you lose.
Mally box HAS mew mew and USES mew mew to its fullest extent, BUT it has other ways to win BESIDES mew mew.

Mew mew box is overall faster than mally box but mally box can put on more pressure throughout the game.
And the mew mew decks running around right now (without detective pikachu greninja) do not have an answer to latios after the clear vision.
Also, the big KO option (magcargo) in mew mew is hard to pull off 2 turns in a row. With mally, you just need a switch (basically).
Having to find the welder EVERY turn is just hard.
Mally also has the tina option so it can prize trade with non-gx decks effectively, unlike mew mew.

Mew mew box is a good deck, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that mally has more power over the course of the game than mew mew.
Ah, very interesting! I’ll have to start getting the cards for this list! Already have a few cherish ball, I’ll see how I can get these!

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
How has this done in tournaments for you?
I've only gone to 1 so far because the league cups for the last month have been too far away.
I went 1-2 at a win-a-box which was sad.
I just got unlucky.
1st game was against blace and I started with absolute JUNK in my opening hand
I won game 2 but in the third game my opponent had the beast energy so he could KO me with nag (turning point turn) and he had benched the mew so I couldn't finish the game. Nothing I could do.

2nd game was against blace again and I don't really remember the games.
I know one game I missed the switch off a dede + cynthia dig so I missed an attack which cost me the game.

I didn't have the mew in at that time (scared of dark box so had the mime) and that really cost me because in at least 2 of the games my opponent kept up the prize trade with nag gx after the moon's eclipse.

Overall, it came down to the fact that I hadn't really intensely tested that matchup and some bad luck.

I got the bye round 3.

On the 15th, I'm going to a league cup, I'll see how I do there.
I think there's a league challenge on the 8th, too.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Hey, I just realized a possible issue: due to you playing 1 latios, the odds of you prizing it are 1 in 10 games.
Since you rely so much on it (yeah the deck has other methods but its best setups need it.), shouldn’t you try 2?

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Hey, I just realized a possible issue: due to you playing 1 latios, the odds of you prizing it are 1 in 10 games.
Since you rely so much on it (yeah the deck has other methods but its best setups need it.), shouldn’t you try 2?
That is always an issue in box decks.
Running 2 is not warranted because I need that space for consistency/tech cards.
I would much rather add another psychic energy before I add another latios.
You have so many other options in the deck that not having the latios 1 game is fine.
You still can prize trade with tina.
You still can ultra KO on anything.
You still have ways to take prizes and hopefully draw it off prizes.
Latios is busted, just not busted enough to get a 2nd copy.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
How has this done in tournaments for you?
Won a challenge on sunday.
2-1
1st game won against what was essentially a theme deck (he was the only other senior)
2nd game against abilityzard -win
They didn't really get a good start which was all I needed. I clear visioned and then nag-ed to KO the benched turt and then they kind of ran out of options which is what needs to happen of I'm going to win that matchup.
3rd game against greenzard
This game was against my friend who had a win and a tie and wasn't guaranteed points. I scooped so he got points and he ended up winning masters while I won seniors.
Would have won that matchup, though.

Next week there are 2 cups.
I'll tell you how they go.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Won a challenge on sunday.
2-1
1st game won against what was essentially a theme deck (he was the only other senior)
2nd game against abilityzard -win
They didn't really get a good start which was all I needed. I clear visioned and then nag-ed to KO the benched turt and then they kind of ran out of options which is what needs to happen of I'm going to win that matchup.
3rd game against greenzard
This game was against my friend who had a win and a tie and wasn't guaranteed points. I scooped so he got points and he ended up winning masters while I won seniors.
Would have won that matchup, though.

Next week there are 2 cups.
I'll tell you how they go.
I’ve got a cup then as well, so I’m planning on playing tinatags with latios gx for aid

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I’ve got a cup then as well, so I’m planning on playing tinatags with latios gx for aid
Good luck!
Try to hold the latios until the end of the game and then drop it when they have no answers.
And remember you only need 5 pokemon IN PLAY to use latios.
You don't need a full bench.