Collecting Collecting Cards of Certain Types or Pokemon

WaterTrainer

Water types, unite!
Hi!
Aside from general Pokemon card collecting, does anyone here like to collect cards of a certain Pokemon or type? I have a whole binder dedicated to water type Pokemon and my goal is to collect a card for each water Pokemon that exists. I also collect cards with the Poliwag evolution line, but I mostly want to focus on Poliwhirl since it's my favorite Pokemon.

I find it awesome that people want to collect Pokemon cards with a specific focus, I've enjoyed seeing their collections all over social media.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon that are part Water with no cards (or confirmed to get cards) this Gen yet:
Smoochum, Oshawott line, Ducklett line and Frillish line.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
The end part of my binder is all of the Darmanitan line and Piplup line cards I have, as those are my favorite Pokemon. I also isolate and put together all the Pikachu I come across, just for fun.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
While I'm not collecting a specific type, I am trying to complete a card Pokedex of sorts -- at least one XY-on card of every Pokémon. I'd say I'm about halfway, as I don't buy singles for the purpose of collecting. It's just made up of cards I pull out of prize packs/prereleases and so on, as well as retired non-Ultra Rare cards from decks I used to run. It'll probably take another decade or so by the time it's finished unless I start taking it more seriously, especially since every couple of years another 100 Pokémon get introduced.

I'm also collecting Base Set Machamp at the back of my binder. I'm hoping to fill a page, since it was the first 1st Edition card I ever came across, which I traded for when I was ~11 years old. At the moment I have a grand total of... 2.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
What's your plan for the 15 or so Pokemon who haven't been printed since XY?

WaterTrainer

Water types, unite!
@AshCo very cool! Recently, I've been thinking about creating a section for Meowth cards - since it's one of my favorite Pokemon from the anime.

@FourteenAlmonds that sounds like a neat collecting goal, that's a good approach. I also like how the 1st edition Machamp card inspired you to want to fill a whole binder page of them. I still have the 1st edition Machamp I bought when I was 8, but I wished I kept it in better condition.

aaron2310

Aspiring Trainer
My Mrs recently started a collection of Eevee and the Eeveelutions and she's really enjoying that!

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
While I'm not collecting a specific type, I am trying to complete a card Pokedex of sorts -- at least one XY-on card of every Pokémon. I'd say I'm about halfway, as I don't buy singles for the purpose of collecting. It's just made up of cards I pull out of prize packs/prereleases and so on, as well as retired non-Ultra Rare cards from decks I used to run. It'll probably take another decade or so by the time it's finished unless I start taking it more seriously, especially since every couple of years another 100 Pokémon get introduced.

Ahh I'm doing this exact same thing except with SM-on (for English) and XY-on (for Japanese)!! Only difference is I'm trying to do it with both Japanese and English cards haha. Just like you though, I don't take it too seriously. I'm just going to see how long it takes to passively fill it up just through casual booster box purchases of sets and stuff that I like. I keep wanting to start a collecting blog but never get around to it.

The reason I'm doing SM-on for English is because I was trying to complete English sets from the XY block. It was too difficult and expensive without caving and buying singles so I pretty much gave up. The empty places in the binder pages don't bother me... maybe I'll get 'em some day!

Also, I only collect Pokemon cards, not Trainers. I feel like Trainers are for gameplay, not necessarily collecting / displaying... and there's simply not even a semi-future-proof way to arrange them haha. I am aware that most people would probably disagree x)

Scoop

Literally a sheep
and there's simply not even a semi-future-proof way to arrange them haha. I am aware that most people would probably disagree x)
When it comes to trainers, I just arrange them in set order when I'm putting together my complete sets. They're probably my least favorite part of collecting though-apart from FA supporters, they don't really display all that well. Some of them have alright art, but it's usually just the supporters. For complete Pokedex purposes it's nice you don't have to worry about any of that though.

What are you planning on doing for Pokemon that haven't gotten a card in SM-on yet? I'd hope SwSh's keeps going on with the SM format, that could make things work out for people who want to do what you're doing.

WaterTrainer

Water types, unite!
@Mega Mewthree... I have two 1998 Poliwhirl plushes that I really love . . . along with Poliwhirl/Poliwrath Japanese vending cards that were released in the 90s.

tF95HMl.jpg

My other favorite water Pokemon include Totodile, Empoleon, Suicune, Wailord, and Wishiwashi Solo Form.

Last edited:

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
When it comes to trainers, I just arrange them in set order when I'm putting together my complete sets. They're probably my least favorite part of collecting though-apart from FA supporters, they don't really display all that well. Some of them have alright art, but it's usually just the supporters. For complete Pokedex purposes it's nice you don't have to worry about any of that though.

What are you planning on doing for Pokemon that haven't gotten a card in SM-on yet? I'd hope SwSh's keeps going on with the SM format, that could make things work out for people who want to do what you're doing.

I actually arrange my Pokemon by Type and then within the Type I arrange by set. That's how I arranged my "complete sets". I like the colour coordination haha.

As for the Pokedex, eh, I'm just not picky about it. I expect it to take quite a while (many many years) before I complete the Pokedex (if I ever do) so it'll be a mix no matter what. :)

HolofoilStarmie

Leading expert on something, I bet
Poliwhirl is a great favourite to have, I love Poliwhirl :) Personally I'm far too indecisive about my card organising so I pretty much just constantly flip-flop, pokedex order, set order, by pokemon, by print variation, you name it, I've not had the patience to stick with it haha.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
I have a HGSS dex binder myself. I've always liked the revised pokedex order in that, and I've inserted new evolutions and prevos as well. A couple of odd pages in there, one is a smeargle page and the other is Karen themed.