Galarian Pokemon, Obstagoon, Morpeko, Team Yell, and More in New Sword & Shield Trailer!

Dusk Form Lycanroc

Champion of Alola
I also can't wait to see what the starter evolutions are like. Morpeko.... i don't know... i like the "Hangry Mode" thing, it could definitely prove interesting.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Very Late
  • Galarian Weezing - Poison/Fairy makes it only weak to Psychic and Steel (if you choose Levitate) ala weak to Metagross. We don't know the 2nd ability but it don't matter. Weezing can learn Wisp and Flamethrower which can counter like Metagross. Hopefully it learns it.
  • Morpeko - expect a weak stats on this dude since it is a Pikachu Clone of Galar. I don't know how its ability works since it changes type evry turn.
  • Zigzagoon-Galar/Linoone-Galar/Obstagoon - Nice that we have a non-Gen 1 regional variant. About the Pokedex no. Of Obstagoon, how will it works since Linoone is #364? #8XX maybe?
  • Bede and Marnie - I love it, its interesting. Badass Bede is fine for me, I am a nice guy after all. So this will be a challenge for me. Hope to be friends soon. Marnie is alright.
  • Team Yell - this is not the only Evil team in Galar, trust me.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I actually thought it was Dark/Fighting before I saw its info lmao, even though I'm not mad at it being Dark/Normal it would have been a bit nice for it to have something a bit more interesting.
(I think it's quite interesting that Rattata and Zigzagoon, two Pokemon that fill the exact same niche, have gotten new regional forms both with the exact same typing. Even though I'm just assuming it was a big coincidence, it would be interesting to find out if it was intentional or not)
Galarian Zigzagoon line is just a better version of Alolan Rattata line.

pocketmonsterrealm

Fan since Crystal
I am not a fan of Kantoian Weezing, but really love Galarian Weezing. Very creative and whimsical. I think it just may be my new favorite poison type. I am really loving Generation 8. Morpeko is the only pokemon so far that I can say that I don't like.
Did anyone catch the pokejobs screen shot how there is a logo that looks like it may be a Galarian klink/klang/klinklang? Team yell also wears the same logo so I wonder what kind of connection they have.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I am not a fan of Kantoian Weezing, but really love Galarian Weezing. Very creative and whimsical. I think it just may be my new favorite poison type. I am really loving Generation 8. Morpeko is the only pokemon so far that I can say that I don't like.
Did anyone catch the pokejobs screen shot how there is a logo that looks like it may be a Galarian klink/klang/klinklang? Team yell also wears the same logo so I wonder what kind of connection they have.
Wow, in that case, Galarian Klang will show up before the regular one. Every time there's gears shown in the anime, they always forget about this line. :/

Chaosbeat

Aspiring Trainer
C'mooooon Metal Zangoose! The Seviper/Zangoose rivalry would be amazing and completely appropriate for the Galar region!

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Dear Pokemon,
When will you stop remaking old Pokemon and giving them new super-giga-mega evolutions/transformations and actually print 150 new Pokemon for a change?
Yours sincerely,
@RisingRaichuu

PS: Team Yell are secretly Gary's cheerleaders in disguise.
Dear risingRaichuu,
Will you please stop hunting Pokémon down for these things? It’s frustrating watching people complain about the evolutions, instead of enjoying the new things. It’s somewhat interesting to see new takes on old creations, and it’s kind of hard to not make new Pokémon that look like old ones after 1000+ Pokémon have been made
Yours truly,
MysticVulpix

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
I laughed so hard upon seeing Galarian Weezing. I guess it was like seeing Alolan Exeggutor for the first time.

I like Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone, and I find it interesting that they actually decided to allow this line another evolution. But now that it’s been confirmed that it’s not just Gen 1 Pokémon that can have a Galarian form, I’d love to see a Galarian Gardevoir, appearing more knight-like, aligning more with its Japanese name, Sirnight. Perhaps Psychic/Steel type? And with the region being based on England and the games being Sword and Shield, this would be a perfect opportunity to do that.

And while I don’t need a “jerk” rival, I’ve been wanting more serious ones for years. Hau 2.0 doesn’t cut it for me, but these other two—or at least Marnie—seem a bit more promising.
Yes!!’ Alolan gardevoir and gallade would look GREAT!
Here’s my thoughts: make ralts and Kirlia look more like princesses, with the hats looking more crown-like and their gown design more extravagant and flowy, or you an give them more of an foresty design, with crowns of leaves and sort of an forest archer look. Then make gardevoir look more regal, like a queen, while keeping the nature look, and give gallade a Knight look. The gardevoir line could be grass - fairy, while the gallade could be fighting -steel or psychic steel

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
And big note: in Sun and Moon, team skull was sort of like team yell, just causing random havoc and working for their leader, guzma. It wasn’t till later we found the wether Corporation, which was a second evil team with a more plot-explaining story. Also, In the random 4-Chan leaks, there have been notes of a second team. I wonder if this may have to do with the chairman and the secretary that we’ve been shown.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Yes!!’ Alolan gardevoir and gallade would look GREAT!
Here’s my thoughts: make ralts and Kirlia look more like princesses, with the hats looking more crown-like and their gown design more extravagant and flowy, or you an give them more of an foresty design, with crowns of leaves and sort of an forest archer look. Then make gardevoir look more regal, like a queen, while keeping the nature look, and give gallade a Knight look. The gardevoir line could be grass - fairy, while the gallade could be fighting -steel or psychic steel
You're describing more of a woodland fairy take on the Gardevoir line. That's definitely interesting! I was thinking something along those lines while hoping for a possible Alolan form, being more tropical and floral (Grass) or perhaps something heat-related, like hot beaches or volcanoes (Fire). But no, Alolan forms were for Gen 1 only. Because.

Personally, if a Galarian form did happen, I'd want the Psychic typing to be kept. After X&Y, there hasn't been a Psychic type Gardevoir card in 6 years, aside from the dual type Mega. It just sort of feels like its original typing has been pushed aside. (I know that's from a TCG perspective; but this is just personal opinion.) And I wasn't sure what to suggest for Gallade, at the time. I think it was already made into kind of a knight with its Mega, so that's sort of retreading water. Then again, Megas aren't a thing in SwSh due to poor planning--I mean, a really tough and totally well-thought out decision. But perhaps both could have more knight-like forms, for reasons like protecting royalty for centuries. It kind of fits with their names (in multiple languages) and personalities. Not sure if Ralts and Kirlia would need forms, though.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
You're describing more of a woodland fairy take on the Gardevoir line. That's definitely interesting! I was thinking something along those lines while hoping for a possible Alolan form, being more tropical and floral (Grass) or perhaps something heat-related, like hot beaches or volcanoes (Fire). But no, Alolan forms were for Gen 1 only. Because.

Personally, if a Galarian form did happen, I'd want the Psychic typing to be kept. After X&Y, there hasn't been a Psychic type Gardevoir card in 6 years, aside from the dual type Mega. It just sort of feels like its original typing has been pushed aside. (I know that's from a TCG perspective; but this is just personal opinion.) And I wasn't sure what to suggest for Gallade, at the time. I think it was already made into kind of a knight with its Mega, so that's sort of retreading water. Then again, Megas aren't a thing in SwSh due to poor planning--I mean, a really tough and totally well-thought out decision. But perhaps both could have more knight-like forms, for reasons like protecting royalty for centuries. It kind of fits with their names (in multiple languages) and personalities. Not sure if Ralts and Kirlia would need forms, though.
True, true

aaron2310

Aspiring Trainer
LMAO loving the Stovetop hats on the Weezings and the punk rock/KISS look of the Zigzagoon line....I do hope Growlithe and Arcanine gets some new Galar love like Vulpix and Ninetails did in Alolan

I have to agree. I absolutely love the hats. So British. lol I laughed so much, but in an endeared way.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Dear risingRaichuu,
Will you please stop hunting Pokémon down for these things? It’s frustrating watching people complain about the evolutions, instead of enjoying the new things. It’s somewhat interesting to see new takes on old creations, and it’s kind of hard to not make new Pokémon that look like old ones after 1000+ Pokémon have been made
Yours truly,
MysticVulpix
Dear Mysticvulpix:
I don't have a problem with Pokemon making new stuff, it's just that this is old stuff. They've basically just taken a ton of old Pokemon and made them Dark, Ghost, Ice or Fairy type. Plus, Pokemon don't seem to value keeping new stuff right now, as they had plenty of cool mechanics that have just been scrapped after a generation in order to generate more hype for a new mechanic, or perhaps a new buff for Pikachu, Mewtwo or Charizard. Nowadays Pokemon is switching to supermassive Pokedexes which are almost entirely made up of old Pokemon that we've seen all before, so playing new games just feels like playing an old game with a new story, which is probably worse than the old one, and a new pointless mechanic designed for hype and renewed interest around Pokemon's marketable favourites.
I hope this will help you to understand my point of view,
@RisingRaichuu

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Dear Mysticvulpix:
I don't have a problem with Pokemon making new stuff, it's just that this is old stuff. They've basically just taken a ton of old Pokemon and made them Dark, Ghost, Ice or Fairy type. Plus, Pokemon don't seem to value keeping new stuff right now, as they had plenty of cool mechanics that have just been scrapped after a generation in order to generate more hype for a new mechanic, or perhaps a new buff for Pikachu, Mewtwo or Charizard. Nowadays Pokemon is switching to supermassive Pokedexes which are almost entirely made up of old Pokemon that we've seen all before, so playing new games just feels like playing an old game with a new story, which is probably worse than the old one, and a new pointless mechanic designed for hype and renewed interest around Pokemon's marketable favourites.
I hope this will help you to understand my point of view,
@RisingRaichuu
Ok, I can understand that. However, you have to realize the only reason that Pokémon takes away the mechanics is because many people disliked them. Players disliked Megas, In the same way they now dislike gigantamaxing. Players were fine with Z moves, so Pokémon is sorta keeping those with max moves. Also, know that it’s hard, after having over 1000 creatures, to make a Pokédex of all original Pokémon the same size as the originals. The fact that they’re doing these new redesigns is proof of that. Players now seem to critique every small aspect that make a Pokémon unoriginal. Why these massive dexes, you ask? To keep some of the old Pokémon, so players can try to use their favorites, alongside new Pokémon. And every new game should feel like an old one with new story and new mechanics. Why? Because that’s what these are! New ways to experience old favorites, new stories to follow with old partners. Pokémon is trying to balance nostalgia with fresh ideas.
So, let me ask you this: how would YOU make Pokémon? People seem to take for granted the developers work, so I want to see how they would make it

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Ok, I can understand that. However, you have to realize the only reason that Pokémon takes away the mechanics is because many people disliked them. Players disliked Megas, In the same way they now dislike gigantamaxing. Players were fine with Z moves, so Pokémon is sorta keeping those with max moves. Also, know that it’s hard, after having over 1000 creatures, to make a Pokédex of all original Pokémon the same size as the originals. The fact that they’re doing these new redesigns is proof of that. Players now seem to critique every small aspect that make a Pokémon unoriginal. Why these massive dexes, you ask? To keep some of the old Pokémon, so players can try to use their favorites, alongside new Pokémon. And every new game should feel like an old one with new story and new mechanics. Why? Because that’s what these are! New ways to experience old favorites, new stories to follow with old partners. Pokémon is trying to balance nostalgia with fresh ideas.
So, let me ask you this: how would YOU make Pokémon? People seem to take for granted the developers work, so I want to see how they would make it
I personally like the way they did Unova, having a completely new Pokedex in BW1 then bringing the nostalgia and old favourites in in BW2 while keeping the new mechanics that worked (eg. seasons) from BW1. This would probably not work for all Pokemon games, but perhaps having some games with new Pokedexes and some with larger Pokedexes that feature Pokemon from multiple regions.