Galarian Pokemon, Obstagoon, Morpeko, Team Yell, and More in New Sword & Shield Trailer!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Another problem, is we don't even know if Zigzagoon will be available in future Generations, this could be the last main series Pokémon game the line is in, hence why it's Galar exclusive.
That as well. Unless they fix the national dex issue, every single Pokemon's standing in the series is completely unclear.

It's really amazing how many problems this national dex thing is creating for the series. I know I sound like a broken record but it really looks like they're shooting themselves in the foot with it. Pokemon Home doesn't make up for any of this, and I know that's their intent.

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
LMAO loving the Stovetop hats on the Weezings and the punk rock/KISS look of the Zigzagoon line....I do hope Growlithe and Arcanine gets some new Galar love like Vulpix and Ninetails did in Alolan

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
We found Gen 8's Pikachu knock off bois.
Also, why am I laughing at the name team yell.

Nyora

A Cat
Obstagoon depending on it's stats has the potential to be very good! STAB Double-Edge with Reckless is a nice combo, I hope it's movepool compliments Reckless. Maybe Head Smash lol. Or a new Dark-Typed Recoil move.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Dear Pokemon,
When will you stop remaking old Pokemon and giving them new super-giga-mega evolutions/transformations and actually print 150 new Pokemon for a change?
Yours sincerely,
@RisingRaichuu

PS: Team Yell are secretly Gary's cheerleaders in disguise.

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
I really think/hope Mimikyu gets an evolution. It's been featured in like every trailer and it would be cool to see what's beneath its costume.

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
Obstagoon depending on it's stats has the potential to be very good! STAB Double-Edge with Reckless is a nice combo, I hope it's movepool compliments Reckless. Maybe Head Smash lol. Or a new Dark-Typed Recoil move.
Only problem is the 4x weakness to fighting type...needs a way to counter that ^^;

SupStar

Aspiring Trainer
I love the new Galar forms and it's not just gen 1 this time! Also new evolutions for old pokemon, and not a complete chump for a rival! (Hop is just Hao 2.0 >.>)

I've been cautiously optimistic about Dexit, assuming there was some real reason for it that we'd see soon, and we still haven't seen that reason (animations and visuals are out cause those are largely identical aside, so it's got to be some kind of functional reason).

One reason I thought of that would explain Dexit was
Old pokemon reworks:
Reworks would take a lot of work to apply across the board, and if they want to establish a baseline how they want to distinguish pokemon in battle, it'd be best to start with a smaller set and make sure that is really solid in design and direction before moving forward with reworking everything.

The reason I think pokemon needs this is that the more pokemon get added, the more prevalent what I call "League Syndrome" (a nod to LoL) where if you keep adding characters and you don't do enough to distinguish them, so they slowly end up blending together more and more to the point where anything new just seems like a slight variation of something that already exists.

To avoid this I think it's important that moving forward, all pokemon have a signature move and/or ability to distinguish them for a long time, because unique type combos don't last forever.

Pokemon like Carnivine are a great example of something that should be unique, but instead are bland and forgotten about as it's an obvious contender for a signature ability that makes it do something interesting when exposed to bugs like heal on hit and perhaps even trap them from fleeing when hit by contact moves, but instead it just got the lazy way out by slapping on a few generic abilities that a bunch of other pokemon have.

Other issues with pokemon so far:
- Gen 1-3 pokemon have stats designed under and old system (before phys/spec split), and thus they need to have their stats redone. i.e. Seviper was meant to be offensive, but since it used normal and poison type moves, it needed balanced atk and sp atk, so it's bulk is unnecessarily low.

- Obviously having every type combo in the game is a goal, but some are just inherently bad. For this reason I think type combos should function differently, such as being closer to the card game in that they hand pick a few types for them to be weak to and resist instead of just automatically pairing the types so pokemon like Abomasnow don't end up with 7 weaknesses. Just pick 1-4 weaknesses and resists depending on the pokemon.
This change wouldn't have to be confusing in battle either if the pokedex functioned in battle, letting you display a pokemon's advantages and disadvantages and having automatic indicators on attacks (visual indicators for resist, weak, and neutral).

Ghostrickster

Aspiring Trainer
The problem on the Obstagoon line are:
  • X4 Fighting Weakness which make it straight up PU. So many Focus Blasters and Lucario all around there. Hopefully, it has great defenses.
  • Linoone can learn Belly Drum and Extremespeed. Will these learned by this new Linoone?

Does it really matter when you have Guts + Extreme Speed? You don't even really fear Mach Punch too much because of that, unless it's something bulkier.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I laughed so hard upon seeing Galarian Weezing. I guess it was like seeing Alolan Exeggutor for the first time.

I like Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone, and I find it interesting that they actually decided to allow this line another evolution. But now that it’s been confirmed that it’s not just Gen 1 Pokémon that can have a Galarian form, I’d love to see a Galarian Gardevoir, appearing more knight-like, aligning more with its Japanese name, Sirnight. Perhaps Psychic/Steel type? And with the region being based on England and the games being Sword and Shield, this would be a perfect opportunity to do that.

And while I don’t need a “jerk” rival, I’ve been wanting more serious ones for years. Hau 2.0 doesn’t cut it for me, but these other two—or at least Marnie—seem a bit more promising.