'Nintendo Switch Lite' Announced: Cheaper and Smaller!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I feel like this is a good idea for a lot of people who are going to get it just for games like Animal Crossing or Pokemon, and those who never really cared for the TV play aspect of the switch. The low price tag will definitely attract people to it, and the fact that they'll be able to play console-quality games on a $200 unit is a pretty good thing.

I'm not going to get one myself personally, if they make a switch Pro then I definitely will. I use my switch on the TV most of the time, the only game I played almost exclusively in handheld was the Phoenix Wright Trilogy.

That being said, this definitely fills a nice niche and is probably going to sell to younger audiences like crazy, much like the 2DS did, and also people who take the system everywhere they go as it'll make their lives a LOT easier. I like the colors a lot, especially the SwSh one.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Nintendo made the switch to a D-pad.

Switching things around, are we?

I might switch to this because of the switched-up colors.

Are the batteries switchable between the original and the mini?

Last edited:

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
I don't particularly care as I really like the TV aspect of my Switch, but still pretty cool and if I ever find myself flush with money, I might get it so I can trade Pokemon between my Switch Pokemon Games like I do with my two 3DS (Although the GTS trick and the fact that the game data is based on the Switch player account and not the cartridge probably means that it's unnecessary).

My only concern is if it gets as hot as the original Switch. My Switch gets quite warm when it's on and it makes me uncomfortable to be playing with it in my hands, as my hands are another heat source.

Wechselbalg

brb
Very convenient for me as I was planning on buying the Switch this fall, but this release means I can get it much cheaper. I really like the SwSh design and I'd actually buy it, but since I also want to play Octopath Traveller before the SwSh games come out I'll just grab one of the regular designs.

SupStar

Aspiring Trainer
Should call it a NoSwitch since the whole name kinda implies going from Handheld to TV console. It really ought to have a plug you can buy separately to plug into the TV.

Will it let you bring transfer over saves from your old switch? Kind of a dealbreaker for me otherwise...
Also yes, all Switches support save data transfer. Reminder that it deletes it on the system sending it afterwards, it does not just copy the data over.

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
Should call it a NoSwitch since the whole name kinda implies going from Handheld to TV console. It really ought to have a plug you can buy separately to plug into the TV.

Also yes, all Switches support save data transfer. Reminder that it deletes it on the system sending it afterwards, it does not just copy the data over.
That would kind of be hard since the switch lite itself has no video output from what I read on the specs, so the console itself would need to be changed to have that output. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I understood it.

SupStar

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah I think the Switch's hardware is built to optimize outputting video through the usb-c so I doubt they could just "patch it". RIP

Lechu v 2017

Pokemon connoisseur
~~~~LISTEN~~~~
I predict this will be like the DS series.
Switch
Switch lite
3D switch
2D Switch
Switch XL
"New" Switch XL
"New 2D Switch
HMMMM?!?!

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I can't say this was really needed. The Switch needs a more expensive version made with LTE options and anti theft features because this thing is intended to go with you places and a smaller version that is more likely to be lost or stolen isn't something I think fans needed. Maybe even making the LTE version the price of current a Switch and making cutting the price of non-LTE versions 100 bucks cheaper.

That said, this Switch lite is very attractive at the price and means I don't have to take my current switch out of the house. I want to see how small it is first before I decide but I may pick one up. It does make a great Black Friday gift though.

That said, if Nintendo intends people to own more than one Switch, it would be nice for save data to be accessible between Switches with account sync. This is something easy with an LTE model. Don't mess this up Nintendo. You have a real gold mine here.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
I'd like this if I didn't have Smash as one of my main reasons to consider a Switch, gotta have a Tv for that. The portable option is nice though as long as this is decently small, price point isn't bad.

Is it just me or does the yellow one look the best? Turquoise ain't no slouch either.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Eh... I'll probably end up getting the SwSh version if I can. One thing I hope they fix up is the issue with the control stick drift that's been happening to the ones on the Joy-Cons, playing Splatoon 2 or any sor of game where precise movement helps is an absolute nightmare.
That Sw/Sh edition is beautiful, my god.
If it's anything like the the LGPE Switch bundle or the XY/Pikachu 3DS XL then expect it to be heavily scalped.

SupStar

Aspiring Trainer
Is there a Swap Saves feature on the Switch? I know you can transfer but when transferring you can only choose overwrite or delete. If I could swap then you could potentially use saves from it on the TV without deleting your saves on the other console.

OH HOW I WISH THINGS WOULD GO BACK TO THE WAY THEY WERE. Anyone remember when you could just buy a memory card when you run out of memory on a TV console? Now they arbitrarily put save data limits on it even though it has enough space to hold literally 100,000 copies of your save data.

The real question is, will Pokemon SWSH pull an Animal Crossing New Horizons and make it 1 save per console so you gotta buy the other version or a new Switch to replay the game...

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
Now if only they could make Pokemon Snap and digitally like they did for the Wii, and re-release the Animal Crossing games digitally we will be set