Finished The 2019 Inter-Forum Mafia Championships - Vom and NinjaPenguin Represent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
KWKcJqj.png

We've been invited to participate in the Inter-Forum Mafia Championships once again! It's the largest inter-forum event on the entire web with 170+ communities involved. @NinjaPenguin represented us last year and I'll let him tell you how much he enjoyed the experience. :p

The event will be hosted on Mafia Universe [details here] by @Thingyman, and you will need to sign-up to those forums if you are chosen to represent. This year's setup will be an open, full-power, 17-player game known as Mad17. More details at the link above.

Only nominate yourself if you can meet these activity requirements:
Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

If you would like to nominate yourself, say as such in thread below. I'll then post a poll on the 7th of April and you guy can vote for the person you want to represent. We'll also select a backup just in case.

Oh hey I did enjoy the experience of participating in Champs a lot! You get the opportunity to meet a lot of new players from a lot of new playstyles, and I think it helped me get better at this game a ton.
I want to note that when it says that you should be prepared to read 600 posts per 24 hours, that's probably on the range that would be considered "low activity" actually (800+ in early stages of the game is probably a bit more realistic). To have a real influence on the game and not be considered inactive, you probably will need to post 50+ times per in-game day. It was a huge struggle compared to this site to ever be up to date, and I dedicated a ton of time while it was going on just to be able to catch up and give enough thoughts. I highly suggest also that whoever represents us picks 48/24 or 72/24 phase lengths for the first round at least, since they tend to also have players from less hyperactive communities and therefore you'll be less overwhelmed with the thread flood (though the 200 post cap should also help somewhat with that).
Also worth noting that when they ask for things like the timing of the end of the day, this is incredibly important. A lot of players base their reads off real-time interactions with you, and the end of the day is when everybody gets that chance to interact. You will probably need to be there for at least the last 30 minutes (I was generally there for the last hour) of the day for most days because the chance of a last minute lynch shift is pretty high.
It's a super rewarding experience and if you can dedicate the time and be friendly and get to know some people (and their ways of playing mafia) along the way, I guarantee you that this experience will be a ton of fun and you will get better at mafia from it.

With those thoughts out of the way:
I'd like to nominate @bbninjas and @Vom if they are available to participate. I feel that the both of them are really great players, always commit fully to the games they sign up for, and are friendly, fun people who have both the charisma to get votes and the kindness to make new friends along the way. While bb is probably the better player now, Vom is already good and quickly getting better as we speak, and I think the opportunity to play here would be really valuable for her.
As for myself, I'd only like to be nominated as a last resort if we can't get any other nominations.

Oh hey I did enjoy the experience of participating in Champs a lot! You get the opportunity to meet a lot of new players from a lot of new playstyles, and I think it helped me get better at this game a ton.
I want to note that when it says that you should be prepared to read 600 posts per 24 hours, that's probably on the range that would be considered "low activity" actually (800+ in early stages of the game is probably a bit more realistic). To have a real influence on the game and not be considered inactive, you probably will need to post 50+ times per in-game day. It was a huge struggle compared to this site to ever be up to date, and I dedicated a ton of time while it was going on just to be able to catch up and give enough thoughts. I highly suggest also that whoever represents us picks 48/24 or 72/24 phase lengths for the first round at least, since they tend to also have players from less hyperactive communities and therefore you'll be less overwhelmed with the thread flood (though the 200 post cap should also help somewhat with that).
Also worth noting that when they ask for things like the timing of the end of the day, this is incredibly important. A lot of players base their reads off real-time interactions with you, and the end of the day is when everybody gets that chance to interact. You will probably need to be there for at least the last 30 minutes (I was generally there for the last hour) of the day for most days because the chance of a last minute lynch shift is pretty high.
It's a super rewarding experience and if you can dedicate the time and be friendly and get to know some people (and their ways of playing mafia) along the way, I guarantee you that this experience will be a ton of fun and you will get better at mafia from it.

With those thoughts out of the way:
I'd like to nominate @bbninjas and @Vom if they are available to participate. I feel that the both of them are really great players, always commit fully to the games they sign up for, and are friendly, fun people who have both the charisma to get votes and the kindness to make new friends along the way. While bb is probably the better player now, Vom is already good and quickly getting better as we speak, and I think the opportunity to play here would be really valuable for her.
As for myself, I'd only like to be nominated as a last resort if we can't get any other nominations.
I would love to participate and I'm actually pretty excited since the timeframe fits perfectly for me but I think you, @bbninjas or @Celever are better players.

I would love to participate and I'm actually pretty excited since the timeframe fits perfectly for me but I think you, @bbninjas or @Celever are better players.
Thanks, but the qualifying round is during my exams so I'm giving it a miss this year (and not trying to juggle it with my exams like I did 2 years ago, cos that wasn't fun) and NP already put himself as low priority, so I'd nominate you and bb as well :U

The timeframe definitely doesn’t fit perfectly for me, so if it fits for you Vom, I’m all for it!

Thanks for sharing the invitation, bbninjas.

I'm going on vacation next week, so won't be able to check in here. If you guys happen to decide on a representative in that time, they can reach me on Mafia Universe or Discord (Thingyman#6075). I'll then make sure they get the information they need to get prepared :)

Speaking of which, it looks like you’re the perfect candidate for the championship @Vom! Go ahead and contact Thingyman and sign up in the Mafia Universe thread when you can.

Is there anyone who would like to be backup?

Speaking of which, it looks like you’re the perfect candidate for the championship @Vom! Go ahead and contact Thingyman and sign up in the Mafia Universe thread when you can.

I wish you all the best @Vom , play for the win but have Fun is the most important part

I still think you'd be a great backup, BB, but if you're not available I guess I could be since nobody else has volunteered.

Anybody have any interest in being backup at all or should I sign up as it?

Update: It's been five days and nobody has responded, so I'll take that as everybody being fine with me as the backup and sign up.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! My game has started and can be found here.

Feel free to talk about it privately, but do everything possible to make your discussions private and completely and utterly inaccessible to NP and myself (i.e. don't post about the game in public threads or Discord servers).
yes I just shamelessly c/p NP's post from last year sh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back