Discussion Did They Completely Skip the Gen 5 Set?!

true. And since gen 5 is so unpopular from a marketing standpoint it makes sense. I mean I guess a large part of Dragon majesty was gen 5. Except that mini set sucked. I guess I'll take what I can get. I'm a gen 6 fanboy so I'm just glad we got Forbidden Light.

At this point I'm an anti-Gen 1 fan, so any Pokemon not in Gen 1 included in Sets (excluding Alolan Forms) is pretty good.

I hope we don't gen 3 Gen 1 sets in a row. :/

Also, the Gen 5 starters need cards, since the Legendaries are getting a load of cards.

Last Sets Gen 5 mon got if they didn't get in a Gen 7 Set yet (Excluding Promos):

Snivy - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Servine - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Serpiror - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Tepig - BW Boundaries Crossed (BW)
Pignite - BW Boundaries Crossed (BW)
Emboar - BREAKpoint (XY BREAK)
Oshawott - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Dewott - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Samurott - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Munna - Phantom Forces (XY)
Musharna - Phantom Forces (XY)
Pidove - Roaring Skies (XY)
Tranquill - Roaring Skies (XY)
Unfezant - Roaring Skies (XY)
Woobat - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Swoobat - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Drilbur - Primal Clash (XY)
Excadrill - Primal Clash (XY)
Audino - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Timburr - XY (XY)
Gurdurr - XY (XY)
Conkeldurr - XY (XY)
Tympole - BREAKpoint (XY BREAK)
Palpitoad - BREAKpoint (XY BREAK)
Seismitoad - BREAKpoint (XY BREAK)
Throh - Plasma Blast (BW)
Sewaddle - Phantom Forces (XY)
Swadloon - Phantom Forces (XY)
Leavanny - Phantom Forces (XY)
Basculin - Next Destinies (BW)
Maractus - Flashfire (XY)
Dwebble - Legendary Treasures (BW)
Crustle - Legendary Treasures (BW)
Tirtouga - Plasma Blast (BW)
Carracosta - Plasma Blast (BW)
Archen - Plasma Blast (BW)
Archeops - Plasma Blast (BW)
Solosis - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Duosion - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Reuniclus - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Ducklett - BREAKpoint (XY BREAK)
Swanna - BREAKpoint (XY BREAK)
Deerling - Fates Collide (XY BREAK)
Sawsbuck - Emerging Powers (BW)
Foongus - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Amoonguss - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Frillish - Phantom Forces (XY)
Jellicent - Phantom Forces (XY)
Klink - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Klang - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Klinklang - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Elgyem - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Beheeyem - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Axew - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Fraxure - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Haxorus - BREAKthrough (XY BREAK)
Cryogonal - Plasma Freeze (BW)
Mienfoo - Furious Fists (XY)
Mienshao - Furious Fists (XY)
Rufflet - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Braviary - Steam Siege (XY BREAK)
Terrakion - Legendary Treasures (BW)
Tornadus - Furious Fists (XY)
Thundurus - Roaring Skies (XY)

64/156 (41%)

Oddities:
  • The whole of the Snivy and Oshawott lines made it to XY BREAK, yet Tepig and Pignite didn't
  • Sawk made it to a SM set, but its counterpart, Throh hasn't
  • The Gothita line made it to a SM set, but its counterpart, the Solosis line haven't
  • Deerling made it to a XY BREAK set, yet its evolution, Sawsbuck hasn't
  • The Vullaby line made it to a SM set, but its counterpart, the Rufflet line haven't
  • Cobalion and Virizion made it to XY and SM sets, yet trio member Terrakion hasn't
  • Landorus has made it to a SM set, yet trio members Tornadus and Thundurus haven't

40% doesn't seem all that bad for a Generation with no dedicated sets in ages, but keep in mind a lot of obvious choices, such as starters, counterparts, an unfinished evolution line and parts of legendary trios haven't been added into sets yet.

Last edited:
At this point I'm an anti-Gen 1 fan, so any Pokemon not in Gen 1 included in Sets (excluding Alolan Forms) is pretty good.

I urge caution:

While it is frustrating when newer Pokémon are ignored, the answer isn't ignoring older Pokémon, either. I'm disappointed the developers don't seem to have the goal of at least one version of each Pokémon per TCG generation/era. I also saw what it can do to a person over in the Transformers fandom: Transformers G1* anti-fans behaved exactly like the "geewunners" they so disliked, with double-standards abounding for their preferred series, and sometimes being applied to later series as well.

G1 = original generation of Transformers toys, fiction, and other merchandise; so named because of the G2 line that was a half-hearted attempt at relaunching the brand in the early 90s.
Beast Wars = Series released after G2; originally feigned being a total reboot, later revealed to take place in the distant future of a setting that blended elements of G1 and G2.

I urge caution:

While it is frustrating when newer Pokémon are ignored, the answer isn't ignoring older Pokémon, either. I'm disappointed the developers don't seem to have the goal of at least one version of each Pokémon per TCG generation/era. I also saw what it can do to a person over in the Transformers fandom: Transformers G1* anti-fans behaved exactly like the "geewunners" they so disliked, with double-standards abounding for their preferred series, and sometimes being applied to later series as well.

G1 = original generation of Transformers toys, fiction, and other merchandise; so named because of the G2 line that was a half-hearted attempt at relaunching the brand in the early 90s.
Beast Wars = Series released after G2; originally feigned being a total reboot, later revealed to take place in the distant future of a setting that blended elements of G1 and G2.
Well also, the lack of Sawbuck is extra weird because it's in the Alola Dex, yet they skip it for more Mewtwo and Charizard cards, which we have more than enough of by now.

I get what you're saying, but it's a pain when it feels like TPCi or whoever does the cards, goes out of their way to exclude some Pokémon (like Terrakion) despite the fact that other Pokémon in its trio have made it into more recent sets. It just doesn't make any sense why they do everything the way they do it.

This is kind of silly considering the current "new" games are based on Gen 1.

It's really not any different from how so many of the Gen 5 Pokemon were spammed endlessly during the BW era, to the extent that almost 200 Pokemon from Gen 1-4 never even appeared once in the eleven BW sets, as back then the Gen 5 Pokemon were the current thing being promoted.

Well also, the lack of Sawbuck is extra weird because it's in the Alola Dex, yet they skip it for more Mewtwo and Charizard cards, which we have more than enough of by now.

I get what you're saying, but it's a pain when it feels like TPCi or whoever does the cards, goes out of their way to exclude some Pokémon (like Terrakion) despite the fact that other Pokémon in its trio have made it into more recent sets. It just doesn't make any sense why they do everything the way they do it.
Neither Deerling nor Sawsbuck are in the Alola dex. Also, Deerling haven't had a card in the SM-era. The last Deerling card was in Fates Collide (XY BREAK), where it had been printed in the Japanese Audino/Diancie deck thing :)

Neither Deerling nor Sawsbuck are in the Alola dex. Also, Deerling haven't had a card in the SM-era. The last Deerling card was in Fates Collide (XY BREAK), where it had been printed in the Japanese Audino/Diancie deck thing :)
Still better than what Sawsbuck got.

This is kind of silly considering the current "new" games are based on Gen 1.

It's really not any different from how so many of the Gen 5 Pokemon were spammed endlessly during the BW era, to the extent that almost 200 Pokemon from Gen 1-4 never even appeared once in the eleven BW sets, as back then the Gen 5 Pokemon were the current thing being promoted.
Because the BW era was quite short and they do a lot more sets now, with mini sets.

Back