Contest Image-Based Create-a-Card Faking Tournament (Final Results Are Up!)

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop from this tournament, due to being too busy with School work. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll look forward to seeing all the other entries though!

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Anyway, I just wanted a Swampert GX and felt like doing some dual type card shenanigans. The art is based somewhat on the Supreme Victors 12/147 Swampert

Last edited:

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
Good evening guys!

I've organized myself better for this tournament, but I don't think the illustration/holofoils turned up the way I was looking for -.-

Anyway, here's my entry! (and my first Pokémon GX!)

Lumineon_GX_Card.png

When I saw the theme for the first round I instantly thought about making a Milotic card, but then I caught a Lumineon in Pokémon GO and I thought "well, Lumineon is a glamurous Pokémon too, and we don't have a new card since the XY era". So, I went with Lumineon!

Lumineon is a Pokémon that attracts others with its lights, but it might end up attracting a predator too, and this was my main inspiration. Lumineon was meant to play the role of a supporter Pokémon: it has a nice Ability and attack to set the game for you, and it doesn't have a Retreat Cost so it can fit in various situations. However, things might turn up against you if you get tails in the attack, since you'll be locked from switching and probably Knocked Out. The GX attack is a one-time chance to bring the game back to you if you get tails, and it could see play because of its versatility.

There's a lot of good cards this time, good luck to all of us :)

Nyan

She/They
Ahahah, I love the way my entry turned out~

It's been a while since i've done one of these!

Empoleon_GX.png
Like I said, it's been a while since i've made one of these. The last one was my Leafeon, and i've always loved the unique style of that card, combining the GX blank with the EX layout. I came up with the idea for this card pretty quickly and finished it almost just as fast, which is really awesome. Guarantee you if I made this card around the same time I made that Leafeon it would've taken me almost 3 times as long xp.

- Art is from ULP theme deck
- Blank is by thy one thy only Asche of course xp
- Refferences:
- Divine Influence: Beast Energy/Electropower & Zeraora-GX.
- Agility Blade: Escape Board
- Emperor's Army-GX: Ho-Oh-GX
- As for the GX in the GX attack effect being the full logo, they seem to be doing that for the newer english cards (example: Nidoqueen, Team Up).

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'll drop an alternate entry in case there's an odd number and you need another contestant!

YFTxing.png

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
^I think with that entry, you may have taken up the eighth and final place in the Image section of this tournament, and just in time, as there just over 5 hours and 20 minutes left before the deadline.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
I'll drop an alternate entry in case there's an odd number and you need another contestant!

YFTxing.png
Unfortunately, bb, due to the nature of how people advance in this tournament, we cannot allow you to submit a second entry, as that would give you a double the chance of making it to the second round (and could also end up with you facing off against yourself, which would be problematic). Thank you for your consideration and effort in making this though.

NinjaPenguin

And that is time! Jabber will have the judging finished for this round in a week!
Since there are 7 entries, in the first round, the top four scoring constants overall will advance, and the bottom three thus will be eliminated.
In the second and third rounds, the tournament will proceed as single elimination matches between pairs of the remaining contestants, with the lowest scoring contestant being eliminated.

Here's a bracket of how this will work.
Good luck to everybody!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Unfortunately, bb, due to the nature of how people advance in this tournament, we cannot allow you to submit a second entry, as that would give you a double the chance of making it to the second round (and could also end up with you facing off against yourself, which would be problematic). Thank you for your consideration and effort in making this though.
That assumes that my second card would actually make it past the first round, which it probably wouldn't haha.

I suppose what this actually meant was that if there are no spaces left, then you could still submit a card in case someone fails to submit?
To sign up you must reply to the thread below. If all the spots are occupied but not everybody has submitted their card, you may submit a card as an alternate, and if somebody does not submit their card, you will be able to replace them.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
One question. For the Image-based side of this tournament, since there are only 7 entries instead of 8, how will the elimination work?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
One question. For the Image-based side of this tournament, since there are only 7 entries instead of 8, how will the elimination work?
vvv
And that is time! Jabber will have the judging finished for this round in a week!
Since there are 7 entries, in the first round, the top four scoring constants overall will advance, and the bottom three thus will be eliminated.
In the second and third rounds, the tournament will proceed as single elimination matches between pairs of the remaining contestants, with the lowest scoring contestant being eliminated.

Here's a bracket of how this will work.
Good luck to everybody!
^^^

NinjaPenguin

Round 1 Results

Judge: @Jabberwock

@bbninjas
dczroct-eee1b54a-3474-4495-a936-9a02b2262853.png
Creativity/Originality: 11/15
I love your effects in particular, bb, because they’re always designed with an eye on the competitive game in whatever format you’re faking. And XY has been a strength of yours for some time –– it’s nice to see a blast from the past. Even if it’s that particular era. :p Call for Reinforcements provides a nice setup attack while Bubble Buster combined with the Ancient Trait can do damage and even take a Knock Out in a pinch. The effects might not be gamebreakingly creative, but I like ‘em.

Wording: 15/15
- The wording for the Ancient Trait bothers me a bit because it reads like an attack rather than a passive effect, but I guess it wouldn’t be the first Ancient Trait to have slightly awkward wording. I can’t find a better wording, so not docking.

Fonts and Placement: 9/10
- Your Pokédex text there is gray rather than black. [-1 point]

Believability/Playability: 4/5
As much as I like Bubble Buster, there are very few situations in a latter-XY meta where you’d ever actually use it. The Ancient Trait likewise ends up being almost superfluous. It’s definitely a believable card, but the fact that its playability comes almost entirely from one attack, I’m docking a cautious point here.

Aesthetics: 5/5
Yep. You do Ancient Traits well. :p The art is well manipulated and it ties in nicely to the blank. Really feels like a card right out of one of the AT sets. I was a little iffy on the holosheet for an evolving Basic, but you cleverly made it a promo rather than any particular rarity, so that’s that choice justified.

Final Notes:
Wording and Aesthetics are great; fonts almost perfect. The effects are good for what they are. Overall a solid card. I’ll be looking forward to more from you. ^.^

Total: 44/50

@steffenka
dczsloj-3edee18d-92ed-4136-91a1-0a6633b453c8.png
Creativity/Originality: 11/15
I like your take on Megas in the SM era, even if it ends up being a LV.X that happens not to share the name of its previous form. Both effects are original and in keeping with thematic tie-ins –– particularly evident in the names. The only thing is that they inconvenience your opponent in two completely different ways, with the result that they just feel kinda … tacked on. There’s very little synergy, if any, between them.

Wording: 15/15
- Looks good! Nice use of references.

Fonts and Placement: 6/10
- Fonts look fine, but placement is basically eyeballed. There’s much too much space between attack names and attack text, the numerals don’t align with the attack name or with the right-hand edge of the text, and the first line of the Ability reaches weirdly far off to the right. [-4 points] as a blanket dock for eyeballed placements.

Believability/Playability: 3/5
Destruction Wave is a bit concerning, given that any straight-up Energy discard effects tend to be very limited in their scope. For example, Umbreon-GX’s entire GX attack just discards two of them. To be able to repeatedly discard three from any of your opponent’s Pokémon, with 140 damage tacked onto it, is a lot. Point docked for that, and another because I don’t see any reason to allow the player to use attacks from the Magikarp under Mega Gyarados.

Aesthetics: 4/5
I like the incorporation of the art, and the holosheet (galaxy foil <3), but I disagree with letting the name overlap the fin, and the decision not to reuse the holosheet anywhere else on the card. It just … doesn’t seem flashy enough for SUM-on. Still, the adaptation of the blank and use of the art shows skill. ^.^

Final Notes:
I like the Mega mechanic, but I think you need to develop it a bit more. The card seems a little all-over-the-place.

Total: 39/50

@Kavross
mzMgNAH.png
Creativity/Originality: 9/15
The Classic era is a really interesting one to fake because it lets you do a whole bunch of things that later eras wouldn’t dream of. I like these effects, but they’re just kinda … bland? Like it moderately accelerates Energy and has a snipe effect, and there’s some cool synergy being explored, but there’s nothing that really blows me away in terms of creativity for the effects. The attack is also very similar to that of the Vaporeon card from Jungle.

Wording: 13/15
- Almost entirely on point, so props for that, especially considering it’s Classic-era. The one thing I see is that Tide Arrow has a [W] Energy in its attack cost, so the attack should do 20+ and have the “but not used to pay for this attack’s Energy cost” clause. [-2 points]

Fonts and Placement: 4/10
- The “Pokémon Power: Stormy Evolution” text should be bigger than the rest of the text. [-1 point]
- The text for the Pokémon Power is noticeably darker than that of the attack, and also seems stretched vertically. Overall the text should be darker –– not bold, but not light either. [-3 points]
- Energy symbols in the text should have the actual type orb, not just the water-droplet icon. [-2 points]

Believability/Playability: 3/5
Snipe is very rare in the Classic era, especially snipe as powerful as this. Tide Arrow has neither a cap nor a distinction between Energy for the attack cost and Energy to boost damage. Look at Vaporeon JU –– it has both, with the result that you have to have 5 Energy just to do 50 damage. Granted, that’s underpowered even by Classic standard, but on a card that allows you to do that damage to the Bench it would be completely justified.

I really like the Classic aesthetic, especially with the stars holofoil –– but I think the refractor foil ruins it somewhat, at least for me. I do love your art, though.

Final Notes:
Nice delving into a rarely-faked era! There’s a lot of things I love about the card, but it also unfortunately has a few shortcomings.

Total: 33/50

@The Ωmega One
Untitled.png
Creativity/Originality: 12/15
Hmm, okay. I see what you’re trying to do there with the synergy around Energy cycling, and it seems solid. You’ve got a way to do a bunch of damage, a way to (sort of) protect, and a way to rinse and repeat, and it all revolves around a central gimmick. It just feels a bit like it’s missing something … although I like where you’re coming from, none of the effects are truly what I’d call original. This score reflects that –– the card has solid ideas interwoven to make a sort of jack-of-all-trades, but doesn’t have any exciting new effect in particular.

Wording: 12/15
- Counter Shield needs the “This power can’t be used if Empoleon PC is affected by a Special Condition” clause, as per all Poké-Powers that can be activated indefinitely from the Active spot. [-2 points]
- “Basic Energy” -> “basic Energy” [-1 point]

Fonts and Placement: 10/10
- Looks fine. Would recommend shifting the promo number over to the right to be closer to the black star symbol, but I’m not gonna dock for it.

Overall I think it’s certainly a believable card. I don’t have too many concerns in this category. The only one for me is that Counter Shield is has only one real use in any DPPt metagame, and that’s as a shield against Gengar AR’s Shadow Room. This wouldn’t really be a problem except that if you wanted to protect it from that one attack, you could’ve just not given it a Poké-Power at all, since Gengar would rather target Pokémon with Poké-Powers for the full effect. So the power seems slightly useless, and I’m docking a cautious point for that. On the whole it seems a believable Pokémon-SP, though.

Aesthetics: 3/5
I like the holosheeting and integration of the female player character from DP, but where the aesthetics begin to fall apart for me is the use of the Empoleon art from Pokkén. It’s just too over-realistic to work on a DPPt-era card. Pokémon’s CGI wasn’t that good back then. :p

Final Notes:
Nice delving into a rarely-faked era! There’s a lot of things I love about the card, but it also unfortunately has a few shortcomings.

Total: 41/50

@TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK
swampert_gx_cac_by_teamaqua4life_dd14xdx-pre.jpg
Creativity/Originality: 8/15
There’s honestly not a lot to be said about the effects of this card. It strikes me as weird to give it only one non-GX attack, especially because Pokémon-GX give you such room for creativity. But Muddy Water is a very basic swing-and-recoil attack, and while there’s a bit of originality in Marsh Stomp (clever name btw), it’s not really enough to garner a higher score than this. :/

Wording: 12/15
- “discarded in this way” -> “you discarded in this way” [-1 point]
- The GX attack clause is “You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game”. [-2 points]

Fonts and Placement: 0/10
- The only accurate fonts on this card are the numerals, which come from a symbolsheet, and the text that’s already part of the blank. Placements are also eyeballed. I’ve said this plenty of times in your judging before, but I still highly recommend checking out some of the font guide resources we’ve got on the ‘beach. Take a look in the Faking Resources and Help Thread. ^.^

Believability/Playability: 2/5
There are quite a few balancing issues –– not that it’s overpowered, but that it’s underpowered. 130 with such a severe drawback isn’t nearly enough damage for a Stage 2 with a multi-type attack cost. And Marsh Stomp both mills and does damage, but again it’s not nearly enough for the attack cost.

Aesthetics: 2/5
I do still really like your aesthetic style, but I’m not certain it’s right for a GX. They’re making a definite step away from 3D models with the introduction of Tag Teams, so it’s not that. It’s primarily the lack of shading, I think, that differentiates your art (which is still very good on cards!) from the typical GX art we see.

Final Notes:
Not sure if it was timing issues or what, but the card feels … unfinished. I’d suggest taking a look into fonts and placement to boost your score in the future. :)

Total: 24/50

@Gabs Kazumi
Lumineon_GX_Card.png
Creativity/Originality: 13/15
I really like the synergy between Alluring Bioluminescence and Neon Spectacle. Locking a Pokémon in the Active spot is something reminiscent of older eras, DPPt in particular, and lucky for you I’m a sucker for older eras. :p Drawing inspiration from a mechanic that’s less used in the current era is an interesting twist. The other thing that’s significantly boosting this score is the GX attack, which is a very clever inclusion and is excellent in its originality.

Wording: 10/15
- Need a “before your attack” clause in the Ability. [-2 points]
- “one” -> “1” [-1 point]
- “in your deck” -> “into your deck” [-1 point]
- “before they attack” -> “before their attack”, matching the pronoun to “before your attack”. [-1 point]

Fonts and Placement: 8/10
- The GX attack text should be blue, not black. [-2 point]
- I thought that “Alluring Bioluminescence” overlapping the numerals on the x-axis was a little questionable, but the only reference we’ve actually got for that afaik is Raichu MT, which does have the overlapping. So you’re good there.

The balancing on this card is actually in a really weird spot. The free gust effect, plus free retreat, is almost overpowered, but only when paired with another Pokémon. Neon Spectacle, on the other hand, seems underpowered on account of the flip. There’s little reason to ever use the card for anything other the Ability (and probably the GX attack in certain scenarios), and the power imbalance is concerning enough to warrant one docked point here.

Nice! Your art style isn’t totally in keeping with typical GX styles, but I think with a bit of refinement it could work. The holosheets could definitely use work; I’d suggest turning the effects way up and just putting them mostly behind Lumineon.

Final Notes:
Definitely a creative card, but there are a few issues here and there –– I’d definitely suggest, above all else, to keep a closer eye on wording.

Total: 39/50

@Nyan
Empoleon_GX.png
Creativity/Originality: 14/15
This is actually amazing in that it manages to be both creative in the use and tying-in of different effects and something I could totally see in the current format. More on that in Believability, though. It’s just that all in one card, you’ve managed to bring together a very clear strategy for an entire archetype. That ain’t easy to do. :p

Wording: 14/15
- Missing an “even” in Agility Blade’s effect. Think you might’ve mis-transcribed the reference. [-1 point]

Fonts and Placement: 10/10
- Looks fine. I question the use of smaller numerals for the HP over the standard bigger ones for Pokémon-GX, but I’ll chalk it up to “your blank, your rules”.

Believability/Playability: 5/5
It’s totally believable, and well balanced too, imo. You could probably get away with 230 or 240 HP as it’s Empoleon, but the lower number also makes sense in accordance with its higher potential attack power. I’d be quite comfortable with this as a card in the current format.

I like the half-art GX style –– and ik you do too lol –– but I think I may be biased toward your old Leafeon. There seems to be something missing from this one, when you compare the two. Possibly it’s all the glowballs and effects going around the border and whatnot. The effects on this one seem a bit hasty. Still very good, though.

Final Notes:
Brilliant concept. This is one of the highest scores I’ve ever given. ^.^

Total: 47/50

Which means that the contestants advancing are:
Nyan, whose Elite Empoleon-GX scored 47/50 points, the top score of the group!
bbninjas, whose Chivalrous Corphish scored 44/50 points, the second highest score of the group!
The Ωmega One, whose Enthralling Empoleon PC LV.X scored 41/50 points, the third highest score of the group!
And we have a tie between Steffenka, whose Godlike Mega Gyarados scored 39/50 points, and Gabs Kazumi, whose Lavish Lumineon-GX also scored 39/50 points! We'll need a tiebreaker to decide who advances!

Sorry, Kavross and TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK, but that means that you have been eliminated.

Congratulations to those who advanced!

Last edited: