Unown DAMAGE Banned in Japan, Will Likely Be Banned by TPCi Too!

elFacho

Aspiring Trainer
A completely necessary ban. Control decks are kind of killing Expanded, I personally don't worry too much about Expanded since I'm all about Standard, but seeing just how disgusting Expanded is, I usually have little to no desire to build an Expanded deck.

Connor Ritter

TCG Player
Advanced Member
How long has Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick been banned in Japan's expanded? Is that going to join our ban list too when we get Kabutops and Omastar from Tag Team?

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
I was thinking that maybe it was a false alarm and the deck's not as good as it sounds, because I haven't hit it online yet (unlike, say, Shiftry, which everyone played to farm wins.)

That said, from what I've read about the combo it seems 100% justified.

gema5

Aspiring Trainer
Infinite chains with no escape should always be banned, no matter what game you are into.
regardless, TPCi should try quantitative limits in expanded, who knows, maybe restricting some cards to 2 copies would make an huge impact in the expanded format, which is the most diverse meta, has so much potential.

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
I don't think limiting cards would do much of anything. As long as drawing 7 or discarding 2 to search something is commonplace, whatever you want WILL be found. If something is problematic you ban it.

On topic, I like that the current ban philosophy is being followed; if it can't be interacted with then it gets banned. Stay the course TCPi

TheMaskedMeowth

Aspiring Trainer
Team Up releases February 1st, but that's also the same day Full Metal Wall releases in Japan. It's probably being banned because there's something in the set that totally breaks it. We'll probably see Maxie's get banned with the release of Team Up, then Unown DAMAGE get banned with the release of Unbroken Bonds.

Robert Fuchs

PCTGO name: Ben358358, PST zone
What does Maxie's do that Archie's doesn't do??

Doesn't Archie's see alot more play for Blastoise?

Rooie

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I feel like they should've banned Weavile (STS) instead. We've got Magearna (UPM) which basically does the same thing (how often are you really going to put more than one tool into your hand?) and Unown could've potentially been used for less unfair combos.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I feel like they should've banned Weavile (STS) instead. We've got Magearna (UPM) which basically does the same thing (how often are you really going to put more than one tool into your hand?) and Unown could've potentially been used for less unfair combos.
There were two seperate combos that OTK'ed with Unown DAMAGE. Banning Weavile only stops 1 of them

onkel_morten

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Infinite chains with no escape should always be banned, no matter what game you are into.
regardless, TPCi should try quantitative limits in expanded, who knows, maybe restricting some cards to 2 copies would make an huge impact in the expanded format, which is the most diverse meta, has so much potential.
I think the main problem is the rules where once-per-turn abilities reset when a pokemon is turned into a tool (Klefki) or brought to the hand from the discard pile (Exeggcute) allowing them to be re-used infinitly. There is unfortunately no easy way to fix the rules -- you could make these problematic abilities so they can only be used once for the whole turn (regardless of how many pokemon with that ability you have in play) in an errata, I guess.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I’d like to be the first to say I called it. Ah, now I can rest easy...
Team Up releases February 1st, but that's also the same day Full Metal Wall releases in Japan. It's probably being banned because there's something in the set that totally breaks it. We'll probably see Maxie's get banned with the release of Team Up, then Unown DAMAGE get banned with the release of Unbroken Bonds.
Or, the expanded combo is just SO BUSTED that they had to delete it. Not saying you’re wrong, but I’m saying that there are definitely more opinions of WHY the ban.