Unown DAMAGE Banned in Japan, Will Likely Be Banned by TPCi Too!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Water Pokémon Master, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Water Pokémon Master I like Pokemon more than you. :D
    Water Pokémon Master

Webmaster News Head Activities Head Elite Member Advanced Member Member

2. EpicShonenGuy Aspiring Trainer
    EpicShonenGuy

3. Thundercloud_TCG Aspiring Trainer
    Thundercloud_TCG

Press F to pay respect

4. elFacho Aspiring Trainer
    elFacho

A completely necessary ban. Control decks are kind of killing Expanded, I personally don't worry too much about Expanded since I'm all about Standard, but seeing just how disgusting Expanded is, I usually have little to no desire to build an Expanded deck.

5. Connor Ritter TCG Player
    Connor Ritter

How long has Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick been banned in Japan's expanded? Is that going to join our ban list too when we get Kabutops and Omastar from Tag Team?

bbb888 likes this.
  6. SquirtleRules Aspiring Trainer
    SquirtleRules

Advanced Member Member

Ha. Serves Pokémon for underestimating the field of players.

Yoyo Chen likes this.
  7. Holden Sheeks a.k.a. WinterShorts
    Holden Sheeks

You know, assuming the card deserves respect for attempting to win in a degenerate manner without interacting with you.

elFacho likes this.
  8. birdboy2000 Bird Keeper
    birdboy2000

I was thinking that maybe it was a false alarm and the deck's not as good as it sounds, because I haven't hit it online yet (unlike, say, Shiftry, which everyone played to farm wins.)

That said, from what I've read about the combo it seems 100% justified.

Lord Goomy likes this.
  9. gema5 Aspiring Trainer
    gema5

Infinite chains with no escape should always be banned, no matter what game you are into.
    regardless, TPCi should try quantitative limits in expanded, who knows, maybe restricting some cards to 2 copies would make an huge impact in the expanded format, which is the most diverse meta, has so much potential.

10. Expert_Occultist Magic card player
    Expert_Occultist

I don't think limiting cards would do much of anything. As long as drawing 7 or discarding 2 to search something is commonplace, whatever you want WILL be found. If something is problematic you ban it.

On topic, I like that the current ban philosophy is being followed; if it can't be interacted with then it gets banned. Stay the course TCPi

GekkisaiDaiNi likes this.
  11. TheMaskedMeowth Gardevoir-GX is CUTE
    TheMaskedMeowth

Team Up releases February 1st, but that's also the same day Full Metal Wall releases in Japan. It's probably being banned because there's something in the set that totally breaks it. We'll probably see Maxie's get banned with the release of Team Up, then Unown DAMAGE get banned with the release of Unbroken Bonds.

12. Robert Fuchs PCTGO name: Ben358358, PST zone
    Robert Fuchs

What does Maxie's do that Archie's doesn't do??

Doesn't Archie's see alot more play for Blastoise?

13. CrownAxe Aspiring Trainer
    CrownAxe

It’s because of the kabutops and omnistar coming out in tag team

arulz likes this.
  14. Rooie Aspiring Trainer
    Rooie

Honestly, I feel like they should've banned Weavile (STS) instead. We've got Magearna (UPM) which basically does the same thing (how often are you really going to put more than one tool into your hand?) and Unown could've potentially been used for less unfair combos.

15. CrownAxe Aspiring Trainer
    CrownAxe

There were two seperate combos that OTK'ed with Unown DAMAGE. Banning Weavile only stops 1 of them

16. Rooie Aspiring Trainer
    Rooie

Never heard of the other one. What is it?

17. The Rhyperior I am still Mr. Rhyperior
    The Rhyperior

Good thing they banned for good. We'll just wait for the US' side.

18. onkel_morten Aspiring Trainer
    onkel_morten

Advanced Member Member

Maxie's would get the new fossils out on turn 1.

19. onkel_morten Aspiring Trainer
    onkel_morten

Advanced Member Member

I think the main problem is the rules where once-per-turn abilities reset when a pokemon is turned into a tool (Klefki) or brought to the hand from the discard pile (Exeggcute) allowing them to be re-used infinitly. There is unfortunately no easy way to fix the rules -- you could make these problematic abilities so they can only be used once for the whole turn (regardless of how many pokemon with that ability you have in play) in an errata, I guess.

20. Lord Goomy Got Goomies?
    Lord Goomy

I’d like to be the first to say I called it. Ah, now I can rest easy...
    Or, the expanded combo is just SO BUSTED that they had to delete it. Not saying you’re wrong, but I’m saying that there are definitely more opinions of WHY the ban.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?