News Japan's First 2019 Sets: 'Night Unison,' 'Full Metal Wall'

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Malamar may see some plays
I don't think so, your opponent has to have a Pokemon in hand and its more of a risk than anything with it being weak to fighting. The second attack is no good either-three energy for 80 damage and discarding a card from your opponents deck- not my piece of cake if you ask me.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Clefable: Mundane. Potential, but mundane.
Malamar: Interesting. Of course, there is a chance that your opponent won’t have a Pokémon in hand, but if they do: It depends on what your opponent is playing (a Tapu Lele GX in hand won’t be much help) and most attacks are situational, like Blacephalon, and can’t just be used willy-nilly. The fact that it DISCARDS that Pokémon is actually pretty good, considering then your opponent has to find a Rescue Stretcher. And you look at your opponent’s hand, which is a big advantage. It’s interesting, but depends on the metagame. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I don't care at all how good that card is, that art is incredible. Malamar has an amazing design and it seems like every card they print it on always looks fantastic.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Clefable - nuts good! Just throw a Ditto and you have a 1-1 card tech in Gardevoir decks. Well, that's always the best Fairy deck in the format. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Malamar - it will going to see play. You have Lavender Town to see if they Pokemon that can potentially OHKO their active like Solgaleo's Sunsteel Strike or Buzzwole's Knuckle Impact, or not, it's a gamble that hopefully you'll see those cards. 4 Geodudes

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Meltan/Melmetal-GX - Magnezone, Mt. Coronet, Dhelmise for pinch damage, Choice Band, there! OHKO almost every turn. 4 Geodudes

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Malamar is playable, especially with Vulpix's return to popularity. Also works well with Chimchoo's bell of Silence - e.g., to prevent your opponent from playing Zoroark, then ditching Zoroark (I would care less about using Zoro's attack than stunting the opponent and preventing a Zoro deck from getting rolling).

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
For the Clefable, you don't even need to use Naganedal for it: I would instead run it with defensive guards to stay in control of the game, like Ribombee to block disruptions like Guzma/Plumeria, and Comfey to Nullify status. Them, plus a mix of fairy charms and Mina, and you got a 6-Prize strategy that's hard for even stall cards to break.

Even more, I could see counter gain work here: It lets Clefable attack with no energy, so you can focus on developing the bench much easier at the beginning.

Heviin

Aspiring Trainer
That Clefable hits harder than Mega Gardevoir EX, and has a 1 energy cost to attack. This will see play for sure!!

Wait... Never mind, I read that wrong haha :(

Last edited:

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Malamar is playable, especially with Vulpix's return to popularity. Also works well with Chimchoo's bell of Silence - e.g., to prevent your opponent from playing Zoroark, then ditching Zoroark (I would care less about using Zoro's attack than stunting the opponent and preventing a Zoro deck from getting rolling).
Marshadow GX + Diance PS + bell in discard= KOs on Zorua, sneasel and ditto PS
That's way easier to achieve.

VuDu-JuJu

Intergalactic Trainer/Hitchhiker
If the translation is 100% accurate then this attack can only target pokemon with damage counters on them because of the 'remaining' part. This is the same reason why Hustle Belt doesn't work with NM Joltik for example. (Unless, of course, Joltik has damage counters on it.)
Hustle belt had text in it that specifically said it doesn't work unless the Pokemon had damage counters on it, which is why it doesn't work with NM Joltik. This, unless they change it, has no such wording. They very well could change it, but a pokemon w/ a full 120hp still has 120 'remaining' HP. I'd argue it would work, and TCPi needs to add that clarification (granted I can't remember how Hustle Belt's literal japanese translation was worded, so if it was identical then I see your point).

VuDu-JuJu

Intergalactic Trainer/Hitchhiker
Hustle belt had text in it that specifically said it doesn't work unless the Pokemon had damage counters on it, which is why it doesn't work with NM Joltik. This, unless they change it, has no such wording. They very well could change it, but a pokemon w/ a full 120hp still has 120 'remaining' HP. I'd argue it would work, and TCPi needs to add that clarification (granted I can't remember how Hustle Belt's literal japanese translation was worded, so if it was identical then I see your point).
And yes I realize I'm like several stories and days late replying to this.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Marshadow only copys basics from the discard therefore it would not be able to copy the attack
No, it can not use malamar's attack.
What I was saying was that INSTEAD of using malamar to slow down zoroark, you can have a marshadow copying bell of silence (with a diance Prism star) and KOing zorua.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
I'm a bit out of touch with the meta so I'm not sure what you'd use have Secret Hood for in the current meta but Surprise Box could work quite well with the recently revealed Malamar to put a Pokemon GX in your opponent's hand and then discard it again and use one of it's attacks.