Fun Pokébeach Playthrough - Black 2 and White 2!

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Hey Pokébeach! In the Discord chat, a discussion got started about playing through a Pokémon game as a community, and it's an idea that I'd like to try to put to practice, because I think it would be a great way to have fun as a community, and maybe learn a little more about the game we play in the process.

OK, so what game are we playing?
Honestly, that hasn't been decided yet. I want to get feedback from you all as to which pair of games you want and would be able to restart or start for the first time. From a base list, the games in the running are:

Ruby and Sapphire
FireRed and LeafGreen
Diamond and Pearl
HeartGold and SoulSilver
Black and White
Black 2 and White 2
X and Y
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

...or any others if enough people want to and can play them. I'm aiming for as much participation as we can get, so if you're interested, please say which games you would be available and/or willing to play through.

Why no randomizers or fan games? Those are lots of fun!
Yeah, it would be a lot of fun, but Pokébeach kinda goes against ROM hacks in general, and not everyone has access to emulating the game that we would play. If we stick to games that people can play on either a cartridge or through emulation, we could get as many people in this as possible.

But I play through these games really fast. What happens when I get too far ahead of everyone else?
In order to prevent situations like this, where one person would be much farther along than everyone else, I think it would be best if we made places you had to stop at in the game while everyone else catches up. Right now, I'm thinking that 3 days to complete each Gym Leader sounds reasonable, but this is definitely open to your opinions and can be changed. What it basically means is that you have three days to beat the Gym Leader, but once you do, you can't progress onward with the story until the next Gym Leader phase starts.

Where does the community aspect come in? Right now it just sounds like I'd be waiting for other people to beat the Gym Leaders, and other than that it's just me.
The point of this is to have fun as a community, and I figure we could all post our teams in the thread at certain milestones, help each other, and even battle using our teams on Pokémon Showdown so we get a sense of friendly competition, but also a sense of comradery as we help each other along the way.

Sounds good to me, how to I join?
To join, just post "In" below with the games you would be able to play, and prioritize them with numbers. On Friday, April 6, I'll tally up what game people would be most willing and available to play. After the game is announced, leave a like on the announcement post to confirm that you can still participate.
I would be able to play:
1. Black 2 and White 2
2. X and Y
3. Ruby and Sapphire
4. Black and White
5. FireRed and LeafGreen

(yes, this is my actual tally for what I could play)

And that's about it, unless someone brings up something really important that I missed. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, and I hope to a decent amount of people join this!:D

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
How about Sun and Moon? I have a spare copy of Sun not moon you dummy. That's what I could play.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
I'm actually very excited for this idea and want to see where it goes.

I'm in.
I would be able to play:
All games included in the list above.

If you want my votes for what games I would prefer to play to assist the tallying, my top votes are for Diamond/Pearl and Black 2/White 2 where my bottom votes are for FireRed/LeafGreen and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

Blakers

How about Sun and Moon? I have a spare copy of Moon. That's what I could play.
Sun and Moon could definitely be an option, but I wasn't sure people would want to play a game that was that recent. If it gets more support, we can definitely consider it.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Sun and Moon could definitely be an option, but I wasn't sure people would want to play a game that was that recent. If it gets more support, we can definitely consider it.

Adding my voice to this if this is community-driven, I'm against playing Gen VII as a whole.

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
I do have a single copy of X but I have data on that already. I lost my OR and AS games too.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
You would probably need to choose a game that can be run on an emulator, otherwise most people (including me!) wouldn't be able to participate. We did do a similarish thing with Pokemon Reborn some time ago now, which was fine as a fan-made game since it wasn't built by hacking anything. I think most of us got through it, but it was also incomplete at that time (and I believe it still is), so doing that again may be a bit anticlimactic.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
You would probably need to choose a game that can be run on an emulator, otherwise most people (including me!) wouldn't be able to participate. We did do a similarish thing with Pokemon Reborn some time ago now, which was fine as a fan-made game since it wasn't built by hacking anything. I think most of us got through it, but it was also incomplete at that time (and I believe it still is), so doing that again may be a bit anticlimactic.

I would join if we do this on emulator; I have a thing that I really don't like restarting my Pokemon games.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I would be able to play:
1. Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire
2. Black 2 and White 2
3. X and Y
4. Sun and Moon
5. FireRed and LeafGreen

Blakers

I would join if we do this on emulator; I have a thing that I really don't like restarting my Pokemon games.
Something I don’t think I made clear enough is that this activity would be intended for players to play by whichever means they prefer or have access to. I’m all for people who want to emulate to emulate, and I’m all for people who want to play on cartridge to play on cartridge. Whatever you all want to do, but if you emulate please make sure that it’s the vanilla game (so no changes to the game that would dramatically affect the gameplay, like a randomizer).

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Because @VioletValkyrie doesn't want leafgreen/firered I am demanding we play through both of them, at the same time. I actually think a good idea is we play through the original games, and go up by generation if people want to make this a long form thing, which I would be generally interested in.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Any way I can send in a vote for Emerald? It's my favorite game, and for sure one of the best in the series. Would love to have an excuse to play through again seriously though, please. If not, I'll throw in a vote for Black 2 and White 2. Great games, wouldn't mind playing those either. Not willing to play Gen VI games or onward, however.

Blakers

Any way I can send in a vote for Emerald? It's my favorite game, and for sure one of the best in the series. Would love to have an excuse to play through again seriously though, please. Otherwise, I'll throw in a vote for Black 2 and White 2. Great games, wouldn't mind playing those either. Not willing to play Gen VI games or onward, however.
If enough people want to and can play Emerald, I would be happy to play through that. I just didn’t include it because it lacks a counterpart, so potentially not as many people would be able to play. I’d be fine with people proving me wrong, though. :p

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I'm in. My list is:

1. X/Y (Would have to restart my X copy, but I want to do that anyway, so...)
2. Black 2/White 2
3. HG/SS (If I get the cartridge soon enough that is)
4. Ruby/Sapphire
5. OR/AS (this... I would have to restart, but I actually don't really care since I have almost nothing in the game anyway :p).

Nyan

She/They
I'm in

I can go with Pearl, SoulSilver, Black2, and Y. Maybe Ruby but my cartridge isn't the most stable

EDIT: Pearl not Pear xP

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Something I don’t think I made clear enough is that this activity would be intended for players to play by whichever means they prefer or have access to. I’m all for people who want to emulate to emulate, and I’m all for people who want to play on cartridge to play on cartridge. Whatever you all want to do, but if you emulate please make sure that it’s the vanilla game (so no changes to the game that would dramatically affect the gameplay, like a randomizer).
The problem is that there's some games that can't be emulated. That includes basically all 3DS-on games, and certain versions of Gameboy games (i.e. Emerald) don't work on the Gameboy emulator.

Blakers

The problem is that there's some games that can't be emulated. That includes basically all 3DS-on games, and certain versions of Gameboy games (i.e. Emerald) don't work on the Gameboy emulator.
This is true, which is why we're going through the game choosing process right now. If you would be unable to play Gen 6 games, then we can try to go with something before that. Black 2 and White 2 are looking like a front runner right now anyway, so hopefully you'd be in the clear there.:p