Have a General Forum Question? Includes FAQs! - Updated 22/02/18

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Also, @gumball51321 can't get my banners to appear in their signature. What's going on there?
That would be because you're using PokeBeach to host the banner images, which is not a reliable method of hosting. The banner in your signature at the moment is not working, for example, and would you right-click to open a new tab, you will find that the image doesn't exist anymore. It either would have been deleted accidentally from the thread where it was initially posted by yourself, or deleted by the server via some automatic clean-up process. Instead of hosting on PokeBeach, I would recommend using a free and reliable hosting service such as imgur.com.

Also, for models, can you use Megas and alternate forms like Hoopa Unbound?
For the BBcode "model," can you make the models shiny?

Models of megas and alternate forms of Pokemon can be retrieved from the server by writing out the full name of the Pokemon, with a "dash" (-) instead of spaces. For megas, add the text "-mega" after the name of the Pokemon you're looking to retrieve. Here's a few examples:

Code:
[model]absol-mega[/model] [model]hoopa-unbound[/model]

Unfortunately, shiny models are not compatible with the [model] syntax at this time. However, you can still manually retrieve them yourself by visiting this directory, and by following these instructions:

1. Use ctrl+f (or cmnd+f) to find the Pokemon of which you'd like a shiny model.
2. Right click the .gif link and choose "copy link address".
3. Click the "Insert Image" button on a post editor on PokeBeach (that is, the image between the smiley-face and the film strips) and paste into that image popup the .gif link that you copied. (Alternatively, you could just write the following code: [image][/image].)

Hope that can be of help!

Zero Umbreon

Pyromaniacal sorcerer
Thanks! That's very helpful! :)

Something I just realized: I can't paste into comment boxes. Is this a known problem or a bug on my end?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Something I just realized: I can't paste into comment boxes. Is this a known problem or a bug on my end?

That is a known problem, although we don't know exactly what's causing it as pasting sometimes will work, and sometimes will not. The work-around for when you encounter this problem is to use the "BBcode Editor", which can be accessed by clicking that button in your comment box at the top-right, depicting paper with a spanner on it. You will be able to paste absolutely fine in there.

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone could explain how I can use the "Deck Editor" feature? I tried it out, but from what I saw, it could only provide links (at least, that is what I think they were) for cards before SUM (so Choice Band, Field Blower, etc. did not show up when I typed in their name). Also, when I typed in the supporter N, I don't think the system recognized it as a full word and said that I was three cards short even though I counted it numerous times to confirm it was 60. Is it something on my end, or is something in the process of being worked on? Let me know what you think, thanks!

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Super random question - how does one get the "Elite Member" banner? What distinguishes that one from the "Advanced Member" one?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Super random question - how does one get the "Elite Member" banner? What distinguishes that one from the "Advanced Member" one?

"Elite Member" banners are currently given out to members who have made 10 000 or more posts on the forums, where "Advanced Member" banners are given out to members who have made 5 000 or more posts. "Advanced Member" banners are also currently given out to members who are premium subscribers.

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
Most forums, at least the ones I've been on, have a Roleplay section for people who like to roleplay, like me. I don't see why not have one here, since a lot of users say they like to RP.

Celever

Wheeeee~
You can roleplay in Forum Games; there's a tag for it and everything.

Edit: Oh nevermind there used to be a tag for it. But still, that's where a roleplay thread would go.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The problem is that we don't have enough (or any!) roleplays consistently ongoing to warrant there being a section devoted to it. Like Cel said, Roleplays can definitely still be run regardless - currently, roleplays that are more game-orientated would be posted in the Forum Games, and roleplays that place heavy priority on the story would belong in the Creative Works. I don't think the genre has been particularly popular on PokeBeach - at least not in my time; there was an attempted resurgence a few years during the Forum Game revamp, but no one really took a hold of the genre and ran with it. I'm all ears if anyone has any ideas on popularising it, or would be keen (and able) to host / game-master one.

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
I'm more of an RPer then a host, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who are happy to host a roleplay. Why not give a section or a tag for Roleplay a go?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm more of an RPer then a host, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who are happy to host a roleplay. Why not give a section or a tag for Roleplay a go?
There's no point having a section for roleplaying, if the community isn't already participating in that genre. The tags in the Forum Games aren't used to classify game genres either, so we wouldn't be creating a tag for it. I'm sure roleplaying would be fine without having either of those two privileges. :p

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
I don't think the genre has been particularly popular on PokeBeach - at least not in my time;

There was a decent scene of it back in 2010 and 2011, but I thought it fell out of favor rather than popularity.

on the topic of missing stuff: what happened to the rulings section? I used to love helping others with concerns back when that was a thing

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
There was a decent scene of it back in 2010 and 2011, but I thought it fell out of favor rather than popularity.
Yeah, that makes sense from what I've heard about the Forum Games back in the day. I think now it's a popularity or commitment problem though.

on the topic of missing stuff: what happened to the rulings section? I used to love helping others with concerns back when that was a thing

Do you mean the old Ask a Professor section? That ended up getting merged with the TCG Competitive Play section, which would be where questions on rulings would go. I can't think of any other rulings section off the top of my head.

Also for the record, I've merged this discussion with the "Have a General Forum Question?"thread.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Something I noticed is you don't have the cookie settings correct. If you go to the page that has all the application forms and don't log in specifically there, you'll be logged out. Similarly, you can hit logout when you are viewing the forums and still be logged in on the pages that have application forms. To fix this, the cookie domain should be set to '.pokebeach.com' and the path should be set to '/'.

Also, the facebook login on the application site triggers a Facebook error message because you don't have the page listed. This was a security implementation Facebook made a while ago.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I keep receiving notification emails of alerts and such after having unchecked the box labelled "Receive email notifications of replies". Is there something else I need to do to stop receiving these? I could just block the noreply address if all else fails, but I reckon there's probably a better way to do it. :p

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I keep receiving notification emails of alerts and such after having unchecked the box labelled "Receive email notifications of replies". Is there something else I need to do to stop receiving these? I could just block the noreply address if all else fails, but I reckon there's probably a better way to do it. :p

Are you receiving notification emails on threads that you had watched before you unchecked that box, and aren't receiving any emails for new threads that you watch? If that's the case, then you also need to disable emails for those threads you email-watched before the change. There is a link in small print at the very bottom of any emails that you receive, and after few redirects, that should disable all emailed notifications!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I have 100 likes, but the badge isn't showing up. What do I do?
Not staff anymore, but I know the answer: Badges for things such as "likes" do need to be processed by the system, so you won't see them immediately. Either way, I see that you've got the right badge now!