News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

professor layton

Aspiring Trainer
What is it with Pokemon promoting the Poke-Girls breasts (or whatever terminology you want to use)?

Literally look at Mars bra, it's egg shaped... REALLY?

And before I'm criticized, I wasn't looking there because I'm a sicko or whatever, it just immediately stood out when I took a look at the full art.

The artwork is nice in general, but Wicke... now this? Be ashamed TCPI. You can make good looking FA'a that don't do this.

If you take my opinion offensive for some reason I'm sorry, but I find this rediculous.

Wow how can you get triggered over something so miniscule? Tits can be shaped in different ways - you know that, right? This isn't sexualized in any way. Breasts aren't magically round and defy the laws of gravity. The artwork is actually reasonably made and looks fine.

PieterPie

Aspiring Trainer
Wow! These full arts are sweet!
The commercial was kind of cringe though, please never put this cynthia in your pocket :p

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
Love the artwork on the FA Cynthia! It's value is definitely going to be high as it is also a very playable card. Knowing my luck, I'll probably put the other FA trainers :( Probably will trade or buy it as a single.
In my opinion, the card may replace Shauna in standard next year. The effect is similar to Shauna only you get one more and of course it is the same as ye olde Professor Oak's New Theory. However, with the search, draw, and energy accel of current competitive decks. Shauna isn't played as much. When cynthia is released she will be sought after because well...she's Cynthia. Well of course im one of the players who would want to get this card for it's effect and FA. But that's just me

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Frost Rotom is most exciting for me. Leafeon PLF’s Energy Crush for potentially free or if not a single Counter Energy.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
Spiritomb's attack will make them unable to attack even if they evolve the next turn, correct?
Actually the text reads "....the BASIC pokemon that was hit by this attack can't attack". It implies that if your opponent evolves that pokemon, the effect will vanish as it isn't a basic but a stage 1. Or a stage 2 if he/she used a Rare Candy. Retreating would remove the effect as well. However the wording doesn't say defending or active basic pokemon, so the effect might stay on the basic pokemon even if switched to the bench, but i could be wrong. So Spiritomb's attack may be good against decks that only use basic pokemon.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Hey, it makes them more money so don't expect it to stop anytime soon. It appeals to maybe a more "mature" audience, being most of the Masters division in competitive play, and they're going to spend money to get playsets of full arts, which in turn gives Pokemon revenue. It's a company, after all.

I realize this, but after what they did to Wicke, I just get kind of triggered over this kind of thing.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
As someone who took Gourgeist to a top 8 at a cup this weekend (and I think could have won my t8 series but scooped :p) - I can honestly say all of the rotoms are utterly underwhelming and should see 0 play in Gourgeist.

Really this batch of cards looks underwhelming entirely. Weavile might see some fringe play in some for fun deck - but its so easily played around. Lunala does nothing, Drapion has waaay too high of an energy cost to ever see any play especially with acerola and guzma in format, Abomasnow is cute but we already have aqua patch in format, and again the rotoms will see 0 play.

Some fun interactions but really all of these cards are like 1/10 or 2/10 in terms of playability

Edit: I missed Spiritomb - that has some mild/small potential at least

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
I realize this, but after what they did to Wicke, I just get kind of triggered over this kind of thing.

Wicke's character design heavily emphasizes her tits with the sweater and the boob window in her lab overalls.

The people making the card artwork didn't "Do" anything "To" wicke, she already had a heavily sexualized design.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
There's a bigger issue than that.

There are no cards that let you get stuff out of the lost zone. There never have been.

That's why it's the "lost" zone.
There's a bigger issue than that.

There are no cards that let you get stuff out of the lost zone. There never have been.

That's why it's the "lost" zone.
Oh yeah, the lost zone back in the day was all about removal and utilizing it for heavy hitters. Especially with the stadium that can give you the win if your opponent has 6 or more pokemon the lost zone. Magnezone Prime, Gengar Prime, Mew Prime Giratina (lost claw), and Giratina Lv. X were Pokémon that could hurt your opponent real bad with the Lost Zone. Now suppose they make lost zone a thing in SM6, just like it was in Platinum and HGSS. Now that would be interesting.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Wow I'm quite surprised they printed Creselia you know, with Lunalaa now representing the moon.

I'm hoping they print another Regigigas in this set.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Rotom Box could really be a thing. I'm not sure how you're going to get 9 tools in your discard (honestly I feel like that number should've been lower), but the effect on some of these attacks are crazy good *if* you can use them for free.

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Fun fact: if you hit a Pokémon with spiritomb a melody then use dialga GX’s GX attack, the second turn they get they would be allowed to use the attack of the pikemon hit by Melody

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
That Drapion is actually pretty good, if you can power it. That Frost and Wash RRotom is pretty awesome.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
You might want to reword these to fit current TCG wordings:

Spiritomb:
-1st attack: Put 2 Supporter cards from your discard pile into your hand (adapted from Vs. Seeker and any other card that adds cards from the discard pile into the hand)
-2nd attack: If the Defending Pokémon is a Basic Pokémon, it can't attack during your opponent's next turn (adapted from Fates Collide Zygarde 10%'s Aura Break)

All Rotom cards:
-Rotomotor: If there are 9 or more Pokémon Tool cards in your discard pile, ignore all Energy in the attack cost of each of this Pokémon's attacks. (adapted from Steam Siege Yanmega's Sonic Vision)

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
Do you mean Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX/Dialga GX/Metagross with Coronet? I was thinking the same thing. Just with Registeel from Crimson Invasion for good measure also.
No, I meant Magnezone. You can grab the Energy you discarded using Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX's Corona Impact and reattach them with Magnezone. You also don't need Registeel because you have Solgaleo Prism Star.

TheMaskedMeowth

Aspiring Trainer
Dunno if this was brought up but Cynthia and Gardenia's full-arts being 070/066 in each of their respective sets means that there's only 3 GXs in each set, since full-arts are put after the end of the set in Japan. Which means the other 4 to complete our Ultra Prism set will be coming from promos or SM5+, I guess. 3 of those 4 have to be Ultra Beasts (presumably Naganadel, Stakataka, and Blacephalon). But anyways those of you hoping for a Garchomp-GX or whatever in this set may wanna bring your hopes down a few notches.

With that being said we still are missing 1 supporter it seems (an unfilled gap between Gardenia and Mars remains). Given Japanese alphabetical ordering, I'm wagering we'll be seeing a Professor Rowan supporter card in this set.

Last edited: