Discussion Eww, Ho-Oh-GX has a Lightning Weakness

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I didn't notice that. I assumed it was water weak given they don't seem to stray from the norm with these things. I was really looking forward to adding something that wasn't Ligntning weak to my Pidgeot deck. Was going to use it as a nice alternative attacker against Tapu Koko-GX. I still want to use it in my deck though.

Leave it to Ho-Oh to mess something up. Maybe I can get a Colorless Zapdos or something.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Ho-Oh's Weakness is the best selling point, imo! It's incredibly valuable to have diverse Weaknesses in a mono-type deck, which in particular Volcanion has to be by default, given Steam Up's prerequisites. In fact, along with Talonflames PHF and XY, I think Ho-Oh-GX is among the only Fire-type Pokémon in Expanded (let alone Standard!) to have a Weakness other than Water. Perhaps it isn't the best inclusion for a Pidgeot deck, but it's certainly good for Volcanion heading into Worlds and beyond. ^.^

If you're looking for an easily splashable tech for Tapu Koko-GX in Pidgeot (which I wasn't aware Tapu Koko-GX was played all too often, but hey), might I suggest Lycanroc-GX? It two-shots Koko and one-shots most other Lightning-types, and comes with the added benefit of Bright Look.

If it's specifically birds you're looking for, I'm not sure I can help you there––Flying-types tend to just have Lightning Weakness in the TCG. I wouldn't say Ho-Oh "messed it up", though; the alternate Weakness is something I think the Fire type really needed. :)

crystal_pidgeot

Ho-Oh's Weakness is the best selling point, imo! It's incredibly valuable to have diverse Weaknesses in a mono-type deck, which in particular Volcanion has to be by default, given Steam Up's prerequisites. In fact, along with Talonflames PHF and XY, I think Ho-Oh-GX is among the only Fire-type Pokémon in Expanded (let alone Standard!) to have a Weakness other than Water. Perhaps it isn't the best inclusion for a Pidgeot deck, but it's certainly good for Volcanion heading into Worlds and beyond. ^.^

If you're looking for an easily splashable tech for Tapu Koko-GX in Pidgeot (which I wasn't aware Tapu Koko-GX was played all too often, but hey), might I suggest Lycanroc-GX? It two-shots Koko and one-shots most other Lightning-types, and comes with the added benefit of Bright Look.

If it's specifically birds you're looking for, I'm not sure I can help you there––Flying-types tend to just have Lightning Weakness in the TCG. I wouldn't say Ho-Oh "messed it up", though; the alternate Weakness is something I think the Fire type really needed. :)

That's the funny thing though, I mainly wanted Ho-Oh-GX in to cover the Lightning Weakness, lol. Ho-Oh is just there to have a 180 damage attack. I wanted something I could nuke a mon with. In my area, people are annoyed by my deck and people started to run counters to it so I thought Ho-Oh would be nice to but I looked at the Fire type and didn't look down. Even the Colorless Ho-Oh-EX had a Water Weakness so I guess it was just unexpected.

I also tend to run Pokemon I like and I don't like Lycanroc, like at all. I also don't want other staged Pokemon in the deck. I'm still going to run the Ho-Oh but I'll need to actually sit back and decide how to do this right. I don't like the idea of having another Lightning weak Pokemon in the deck. I'm sure it's good for Volcanion though! I'm glad it got more tools to work with.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
I find Ho-Oh-GX's Lightning weakness to be a blessing far more than a curse. Of course, this is coming from a longtime Volcanion player. The Lightning Weakness allows Volcanion decks to stand a chance against Alolan Ninetales and Waterbox decks. It also hits for 180 damage without needing to Steam Up. With one Steam Up or a Choice Band, it will hit for 210 -- enough to KO any common Stage 1 Pokemon-GX. The four Energy cost is daunting, but it can be powered up with Kiawe, another amazing new toy for Volcanion. Ho-Oh GX also helps when dealing with Ability lock, since it hits for 180+ without Steam Up.

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
Why Ho-oh GX? Why not something like Drampa GX or Tauros GX? They run off of Colorless energy and have fighting weakness.

Drampa GX + Choice Band OHKOs Tapu Koko GX as long as you have damage on your bench.

Tauros GX + Choice Band OHKO's Tapu Koko after it takes a Sky High Claws.

crystal_pidgeot

I find Ho-Oh-GX's Lightning weakness to be a blessing far more than a curse. Of course, this is coming from a longtime Volcanion player. The Lightning Weakness allows Volcanion decks to stand a chance against Alolan Ninetales and Waterbox decks. It also hits for 180 damage without needing to Steam Up. With one Steam Up or a Choice Band, it will hit for 210 -- enough to KO any common Stage 1 Pokemon-GX. The four Energy cost is daunting, but it can be powered up with Kiawe, another amazing new toy for Volcanion. Ho-Oh GX also helps when dealing with Ability lock, since it hits for 180+ without Steam Up.

Yep, that was something Volcanion needed for sure. That 180 damage is still attractive for me since it does the same thing as well. I need to be able to deal with the 180 HP Pokemon in a single hit.

Why Ho-oh GX? Why not something like Drampa GX or Tauros GX? They run off of Colorless energy and have fighting weakness.

Drampa GX + Choice Band OHKOs Tapu Koko GX as long as you have damage on your bench.

Tauros GX + Choice Band OHKO's Tapu Koko after it takes a Sky High Claws.

I don't like Drampa or Tauros but I like Ho-Oh.

MystikX

Aspiring Trainer
I didn't notice that. I assumed it was water weak given they don't seem to stray from the norm with these things. I was really looking forward to adding something that wasn't Ligntning weak to my Pidgeot deck. Was going to use it as a nice alternative attacker against Tapu Koko-GX. I still want to use it in my deck though.

Leave it to Ho-Oh to mess something up. Maybe I can get a Colorless Zapdos or something.

To be fair, the EX from BREAKpoint had a Water Weakness. And it was Colorless!