Discussion Eww, Ho-Oh-GX has a Lightning Weakness

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I didn't notice that. I assumed it was water weak given they don't seem to stray from the norm with these things. I was really looking forward to adding something that wasn't Ligntning weak to my Pidgeot deck. Was going to use it as a nice alternative attacker against Tapu Koko-GX. I still want to use it in my deck though.

Leave it to Ho-Oh to mess something up. Maybe I can get a Colorless Zapdos or something.

Ho-Oh's Weakness is the best selling point, imo! It's incredibly valuable to have diverse Weaknesses in a mono-type deck, which in particular Volcanion has to be by default, given Steam Up's prerequisites. In fact, along with Talonflames PHF and XY, I think Ho-Oh-GX is among the only Fire-type Pokémon in Expanded (let alone Standard!) to have a Weakness other than Water. Perhaps it isn't the best inclusion for a Pidgeot deck, but it's certainly good for Volcanion heading into Worlds and beyond. ^.^

If you're looking for an easily splashable tech for Tapu Koko-GX in Pidgeot (which I wasn't aware Tapu Koko-GX was played all too often, but hey), might I suggest Lycanroc-GX? It two-shots Koko and one-shots most other Lightning-types, and comes with the added benefit of Bright Look.

If it's specifically birds you're looking for, I'm not sure I can help you there––Flying-types tend to just have Lightning Weakness in the TCG. I wouldn't say Ho-Oh "messed it up", though; the alternate Weakness is something I think the Fire type really needed. :)

Ho-Oh's Weakness is the best selling point, imo! It's incredibly valuable to have diverse Weaknesses in a mono-type deck, which in particular Volcanion has to be by default, given Steam Up's prerequisites. In fact, along with Talonflames PHF and XY, I think Ho-Oh-GX is among the only Fire-type Pokémon in Expanded (let alone Standard!) to have a Weakness other than Water. Perhaps it isn't the best inclusion for a Pidgeot deck, but it's certainly good for Volcanion heading into Worlds and beyond. ^.^

If you're looking for an easily splashable tech for Tapu Koko-GX in Pidgeot (which I wasn't aware Tapu Koko-GX was played all too often, but hey), might I suggest Lycanroc-GX? It two-shots Koko and one-shots most other Lightning-types, and comes with the added benefit of Bright Look.

If it's specifically birds you're looking for, I'm not sure I can help you there––Flying-types tend to just have Lightning Weakness in the TCG. I wouldn't say Ho-Oh "messed it up", though; the alternate Weakness is something I think the Fire type really needed. :)

That's the funny thing though, I mainly wanted Ho-Oh-GX in to cover the Lightning Weakness, lol. Ho-Oh is just there to have a 180 damage attack. I wanted something I could nuke a mon with. In my area, people are annoyed by my deck and people started to run counters to it so I thought Ho-Oh would be nice to but I looked at the Fire type and didn't look down. Even the Colorless Ho-Oh-EX had a Water Weakness so I guess it was just unexpected.

I also tend to run Pokemon I like and I don't like Lycanroc, like at all. I also don't want other staged Pokemon in the deck. I'm still going to run the Ho-Oh but I'll need to actually sit back and decide how to do this right. I don't like the idea of having another Lightning weak Pokemon in the deck. I'm sure it's good for Volcanion though! I'm glad it got more tools to work with.

I find Ho-Oh-GX's Lightning weakness to be a blessing far more than a curse. Of course, this is coming from a longtime Volcanion player. The Lightning Weakness allows Volcanion decks to stand a chance against Alolan Ninetales and Waterbox decks. It also hits for 180 damage without needing to Steam Up. With one Steam Up or a Choice Band, it will hit for 210 -- enough to KO any common Stage 1 Pokemon-GX. The four Energy cost is daunting, but it can be powered up with Kiawe, another amazing new toy for Volcanion. Ho-Oh GX also helps when dealing with Ability lock, since it hits for 180+ without Steam Up.

Why Ho-oh GX? Why not something like Drampa GX or Tauros GX? They run off of Colorless energy and have fighting weakness.

Drampa GX + Choice Band OHKOs Tapu Koko GX as long as you have damage on your bench.

Tauros GX + Choice Band OHKO's Tapu Koko after it takes a Sky High Claws.

I find Ho-Oh-GX's Lightning weakness to be a blessing far more than a curse. Of course, this is coming from a longtime Volcanion player. The Lightning Weakness allows Volcanion decks to stand a chance against Alolan Ninetales and Waterbox decks. It also hits for 180 damage without needing to Steam Up. With one Steam Up or a Choice Band, it will hit for 210 -- enough to KO any common Stage 1 Pokemon-GX. The four Energy cost is daunting, but it can be powered up with Kiawe, another amazing new toy for Volcanion. Ho-Oh GX also helps when dealing with Ability lock, since it hits for 180+ without Steam Up.

Yep, that was something Volcanion needed for sure. That 180 damage is still attractive for me since it does the same thing as well. I need to be able to deal with the 180 HP Pokemon in a single hit.

Why Ho-oh GX? Why not something like Drampa GX or Tauros GX? They run off of Colorless energy and have fighting weakness.

Drampa GX + Choice Band OHKOs Tapu Koko GX as long as you have damage on your bench.

Tauros GX + Choice Band OHKO's Tapu Koko after it takes a Sky High Claws.

I don't like Drampa or Tauros but I like Ho-Oh.

I didn't notice that. I assumed it was water weak given they don't seem to stray from the norm with these things. I was really looking forward to adding something that wasn't Ligntning weak to my Pidgeot deck. Was going to use it as a nice alternative attacker against Tapu Koko-GX. I still want to use it in my deck though.

Leave it to Ho-Oh to mess something up. Maybe I can get a Colorless Zapdos or something.

To be fair, the EX from BREAKpoint had a Water Weakness. And it was Colorless!

Back