News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
Well, since Kiawe allows me to search my deck for up to 4 fire energies and attach them to one of my Fire pokemon (but automatically ends my turn), and Flareon revolves around energy, what am I supposed to have when I am powering up a Flareon or two? because the meta with the way it is, I need support Pokemon to be in the active spot while I get a Flareon ready, I could use Ultra Ball to get a Flareon, but discard some Fire pokemon EX or GX, then bring them back when I am ready to OHKO my opponent with Flareon... I hope my explanation makes sense, but I do have a plan for Ho-Oh, and I have already done some testing with Ho-Oh and Kiawe proxys, and the decks works very well, I will post the deck list sometime if you'd like.

I definitely see the synergy between Kiawe and Flareon EX, and Kiawe and Ho-oh GX.

I don't really see the synergy between Ho-oh GX and Flareon EX. Ho-oh's GX attack is only really useful for getting out EX/GX evolutions. Any basic EXs/GXs can be played straight down and Rescue Stretcher seems like the better play for recovering any Flareon's you may have discarded.

If you want a wall to hide behind while you power up Flareon EX, why not try Turtonator GX? You can still use Kiawe to get energy into play early, and Turtonator's GX attack helps you recover energy later.

One thing Ho-oh GX would be go for is being a tech against Water decks, so maybe a one of in your Flareon deck might be good. I'm personally planning on building a Turtonator/Ho-oh deck. The strategy is to get out a Ho-oh GX turn 1, Kiawe onto it, then use Turtonator's GX attack to recover that energy after Ho-oh GX goes down.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Ridiculous artwork on this one, hope they tone it down (don't care about the kids, just saying.)

Love the card though, will be using this a lot.
The only thing here that's ridiculous is everyone's overreactions, thinking that a fully clothed female character is somehow suggestive and needs to be "toned down" just because she has a large chest. Athena addressed this same line of thinking very well when the second Skyla full art was revealed: Here
Entertainment brands often use overtly sexy character designs to sell their product. Someone sits there and consciously decides to pick these characters and highlight their assets because they think it will sell to their audience. But it's not something you typically find in a brand targeted at children, which is why I brought it up and highlighted it. I'm actually starting to think the demographic for the TCG is skewing older in recent years, which is why they've been making some artwork like this. I don't have a problem with the artwork personally, I'm just more curious about what these decisions say about the PTCG's demographics and if it's changing (getting older).
Been at work all day and took a while to articulate my thoughts... That is an interesting question about Pokemon adjusting their marketing to an older demographic. AuraJackle and you had good points about Masters far outnumbering Juniors (and Seniors combined, I would think) in tournaments, and how all of these secret rares are clearly for those who have money to bling out their decks. Combine that with the obvious nostalgia train for Gen 1 all last year. It does seem clear that Pokemon's demographics are shifting. But questioning Pokemon's decisions and their image based on this artwork (and, sure, let's say a few others)? I really think that's making a huge assumption on a few things.

I want to emphasize two things before I say anything else. I hate sounding like this, because I can't stand this offened-by-everything culture on the internet, but I will undoubtedly come off as sounding like someone who's overly offended by posting a wall of text. And I truly do not intend to put words in your mouth. But...

It just seems very presumptuous to say that this artwork of a fully clothed female character is overtly sexy, when the only thing that could possibly define it as such is the fact that the character happens to have large breasts. Honestly, seeing a female character with large breasts and automatically assuming that is lewd, suggestive, risqué or overtly sexualized is a huge leap in logic. Does that apply to real women who have naturally large breasts too? I hope not, because that's pretty ignorant. (But it does happen to women, which is why I posted that image.) It is very true that entertainment brands use overtly sexy character for marketing, but I just don't see it with Pokemon's official products. I mean, sure, I don't doubt that some choices on which female characters to give full arts are aimed towards appealing to Pokemon's male demographic... but this is so tame that it's a non-issue, in my opinion. We can even extend this to Olivia's full art. Far more skin showing with less clothing compared to Wicke's full art. (Also illustrated by Naoki Saito.) I still see nothing lewd or suggestive; she's just striking a pose. I honestly think the artwork and character design is respectfully done for a woman who lives on what is probably a hot, humid island; it's summer wear. (Though on the flip side, going back to Wicke, I have wondered why she would want to wear a turtle neck sweater in Alola. Maybe it's cold inside Aether Paradise? Ha ha.)

I asked my friend what she thought about Wicke's full art, with no other context, other than saying Naoki Saito's artwork was super cute. Wicke's eyes were the first thing she saw. She likes the background, and thought the pose was cute. I asked if there was anything else. She said no and questioned why. I asked if she found Wicke to be overtly sexualized or suggestive. She said, "Not particularly???? I mean, there's sweater boobs, but the way her outfit is, they would be like that. :| Suggestive? Uhhh... Noooo??" I explained how people were reacting to the artwork, and she said, "Geez. Just because a character has a big chest doesn't make any cute pose card art automatically suggestive. :<" Which sounds very similar to what Athena said about Skyla's second full art (linked above).

Yes, that's just the opinion of one woman, but I think that speaks to how the men are viewing this instead. It really seems like reaching to find the suggestiveness and then jumping to conclusions.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Wicke is a fictional cartoon character created and designed by someone, not a naturally occurring person. She is a piece of marketing for Pokemon like any other character, whether it's Pikachu, Lt. Surge, Professor Sycamore, etc. She is specifically designed to appeal to a certain demographic, like the Pokemon they choose to put into a game.

I think it's pretty silly to view her as being in a vacuum where she's "just" someone who happens to look the way she does. I think you can tell by the comments here and all over social media what people first noticed about her, and that's because Pokemon chose to use her character and her specific features to grab a certain kind of attention from a certain demographic of fans.

Just like Pikachu is "cute" and is used to appeal to kids, or they release "Shiny" TCG sets with "romantic" Pokemon themed for girls, Pokemon specifically designs certain characters to target at certain demographics. Sometimes it's a dumb character they want you to have pity for (Magikarp or Psyduck), other times it involves sexiness (Wicke, Sycamore), other times it involves cuteness or toughness (Shaymin, Lucario). To say they don't create characters with specific "marketable" purposes and features is pretty silly and means you would have to be ignoring basic marketing and character design.

Google my interview with Masamitsu Hidaka for some more insight into the logic behind how and why Pokemon uses certain characters to appeal to boys, girls, etc.

I appreciate your opinion though and am glad you're expressing it.

Last edited:

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Thank you for correcting that Wordpress issue. Appearently, even software can have a wardrobe malfunction at times... Well, I'll end my discussion on that right there.

As for Wicke's effect, I think there could be a nice niche to using it: Play it in a elemental monkey hand fling deck! What you could do is pair that attacker with a bunch of Ribombee's from this set, of which can each take 2 energies out of your deck. Those energies end up working up your hand size for you to play Wicke, which gives you both hand disruption and a fresh hand at the same time.

Even more neat - those energies may end up going back into your deck, so if only 2 of your 4 bees could use their ability due to a lack of energy to search, Wicke could let you utilize your other 2 bees' abilities after it is played!

Edit: After thinking about it, this could work as a draw engine for other decks, too. o_o

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/d/de/Sun_Moon_Wicke.png

Here's the problem: Wicke isn't nearly that...uh...voluptuous in her original artwork. She has been SPECIFICALLY altered for some reason that only TPCi knows (though anyone with a brain can easily guess).

When you take a character that wasn't designed like that, then specifically add it later, it's jarring.

I honestly don't see the comparison to Skyla's artwork at all. Skyla is just standing in a way that draws attention to her "assets". They aren't actually enhanced like Wicke's.

As far as the card's effects mechanically:

Net -1 on hand size as a draw supporter and you can help your opponent out = yuck.

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
Marshasow-GX: Love the art on it, cool Ability... One-ofs can be thrown into any deck and effectively help the Darkrai matchup as long as your deck is Basic. Garbodor/Drampa can use this in the mirror match for Weakness against other Drampa.
It's Marshadow, what can I say?

Alolan Muk-GX: Attacking with DCE is great, Psychic resistance is awesome, first attack is fun, artwork is beautiful, GX attack is really good, and it's Energy denial. Love this card. Salazzle also exists, 180 with a Choice Band isn't bad. EDIT: CaptZero corrected me, 210 with Poison and Burn. Insane.
Hyper Rare is looking pretty clean, this set seems to have great FA/HR Pokémon, and all the FA Supporters are just great. The FA is gorgeous, I love it to much!

Gardevoir-GX: FA/HR looks astounding!

Charizard-GX: Same as Gardevoir-GX, looking great.

Kingdra: Stage 2 is not so great but it's a very interesting card and could possibly see some play as a rogue deck or budget if Horsea and Seadra are good enough. Again, lovely art, this set has great art all around!

Vileplume: Not denial, thank god, but great art and an interesting Ability, but wont see much play once Forest rotates.

Palossand: Only redeeming factor is that it's Palossand and it has great art.
I think you'll be hearing a lot of "great art" from me tonight...

Mount Lanakila: Pretty cool card, Lysandre/Guzma out a Lele and suddenly they need two Energy to retreat. Maybe in Golisopod-GX? Also, I like the art here, of course.

Crabominable: As much as I love Crabominable, it's just a meh card. 80 for a Fighting is great except when you're taking that much back plus any modifiers you had. I really really like the art though.

Eelektross: Top half is very pleasing to the eye, bottom half is kind of just meh...

Alolan Raticate: First attack is cool, could find a spot in a decklist at prerelease. Also, the Alolan Rattata artwork is so good, this set is definitely delivering the goods to my eyes.

Wimpod: I'd run a mix of 2-2 of both Wimpod, it's just a Wimpod.

Bouffalant: Interesting art, that's about it.

Scolipede: Along with Whirlipede, has cool artwork but not the most viable bug in the bunch.

Simisear: Love the art on this, and has a cool second attack to boot. Not good, but not bad either.

Simipour: Kinda a worse version of Simisear.

Plumeria: Pretty artwork.

Tangrowth: Meh.

Po Town: Cool Stadium, not sure how many decks will run it, maybe it will replace Team Magma's Secret Base in Garb/Drampa.

Noivern-GX: Very good FA, Pokémon's improving the FA GXs.

Golisopod-GX: Cool looking Hyper, just gotta wait on the FA.

Escape Rope/Super Scoop Up: Nothing to special, just SR versions.

Last edited:

Coolpilot

Bisharps don't know 'bout my Togekiss
Advanced Member
Okay, wow, that ability on Marshadow is ridiculous (also, awesome art). Low HP for a GX (Basic or not), though that does help to balance it out better. Will be interesting to see how people use it since it doesn't HAVE to be used in just Fighting decks. A tech in a Darkrai to deal with other Darkrai could be interesting, for instance. Tons of other potential applications, too.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Immediately, I see synergy with Zygarde-EX.
This lets you attack for 1 energy or 2 energy, and then use it's 3 energy attack when you're set-up.

Much like Mew, this also allows for "extended playsets"
ex. In Quad Lapras, use this as a fifth Lapras.
Gives you a different weakness, and hits a different weakness (Dark types, like Darkrai-EX)~

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
This card is so good. This plus Lugia-EX in the discard pile means you just DUMP and Grampa-GX, Tauros-GX and Darkrai. Will be a GREAT addition to my deck!

Coolpilot

Bisharps don't know 'bout my Togekiss
Advanced Member
Muk GX could be used with Ariados AOR & Hypno BKP, but that's still kinda impractical & clunky. It's cool to have a free GX attack, but it has limited usefulness until Lysandre rotates out, and even then, it's still a little meh. Love the flying trash in the artwork, though. XD

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Whew... The Vileplume isn't item denial - it is a gimmicky attack denial that's hard to set up once FGP is rotated. ^_^

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Wicke is a fictional cartoon character created and designed by someone, not a naturally occurring person. She is a piece of marketing for Pokemon like any other character, whether it's Pikachu, Lt. Surge, Professor Sycamore, etc. She is specifically designed to appeal to a certain demographic, like the Pokemon they choose to put into a game.

I think it's pretty silly to view her as being in a vacuum where she's "just" someone who happens to look the way she does. I think you can tell by the comments here and all over social media what people first noticed about her, and that's because Pokemon chose to use her character and her specific features to grab a certain kind of attention from a certain demographic of fans.

Just like Pikachu is "cute" and is used to appeal to kids, or they release "Shiny" TCG sets with "romantic" Pokemon themed for girls, Pokemon specifically designs certain characters to target at certain demographics. Sometimes it's a dumb character they want you to have pity for (Magikarp or Psyduck), other times it involves sexiness (Wicke, Sycamore), other times it involves cuteness or toughness (Shaymin, Lucario). To say they don't do this is pretty silly and means you would have to be ignoring basic marketing and character design.

Google my interview with Masamitsu Hidaka for some more insight into the logic behind how and why Pokemon uses certain characters to appeal to boys, girls, etc.

I appreciate your opinion though and am glad you're expressing it.
And thank you for taking the time to read my novel of a comment. As I was typing it, I kept thinking like, "This is way too much. He's probably super busy. I mean, there's a new image of Ho-oh's (sad-looking) rainbow rare, there's now news about a main series Pokemon game on the Switch, and it looks like SM3 is leaking." EDIT: It definitely is now. "And even though filming is done, he could possibly be working on his thesis film too."

Yes, this is a fictional character and everything about her is intentionally designed. I love character designs from a lot of different things. So I know that when a character is created, if you want it to be good, you not only have to know what he or she looks like, but you need to know their personality, backstory, how they'll work in the story, etc; you need to know a character inside and out. A lot of thought needs to be put into a character, even a minor one. So I also think it's equally silly to say that her design's sole purpose is to have large breasts to appeal to males, which is why I said she "happens" to have large breasts; there's more to the design than that. Was it a conscious decision to give this character large breasts? Yes. Was it a conscious decision to appeal to males with her design? Yeah, but I'd argue she's also designed to look cute to females too. But was she intended to look suggestive or lewd? I highly doubt it.

And saying that everyone's reactions more or less proves that her design's purpose was to be overtly sexy doesn't really convince me. It just says to me that everyone is acting immature. Ha ha. And I mean, we all act like that. (Though, some more than others.) Honestly, I thought the thumbnail showcasing her boobs was intentional and it made me laugh. But then after looking at the last line of the story and a bunch of the comments, it's like... Really? Is that the only thing you all got from this? It all just seems shallow. Which is why I felt I had to say something.

Alright. Enough about fictional boobs. It's time to check out some of these new cards and go to sleep. Ha ha.