News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Marshadow's Ability is interesting. Definitely allows some flexibility for a possible type advantage over your opponent's Pokemon or to cover your disadvantages against their Pokemon. (Though a psychic weakness right now is pretty crippling.)
Edit: And Marshadow has the option to use Strong Energy for an extra boost by covering colorless energies in the other Basic Pokemon's attack cost.

Alolan Muk... has potential. While seeing a free GX attack is neat, I feel like you'd really have to be desperate to use it as a combo with its first attack, especially when there are other Pokemon's Abilities that can be used for Special Conditions.

That first attack on Kingdra is kind of crazy. (Though balanced by it being a Stage 2, I guess.) I'd love to see it be played. Think of how many times sniping something for 90 (on top of at least 10) could get you the KO.

Mount Lanakila seems like an obvious pairing with the new Wobbuffet (and Alolan Dugtrio) once Team Aqua's Secret Base rotates (which isn't too much longer after this releases).

And wow. That free attack for Alolan Raticate is pretty snazzy. Attach a Choice Band, and you're doing 90 damage to an EX or GX for zero energy. And if you use a Kukui, that's 110 damage.

And my goodness. That Gardevoir is the nicest rainbow rare I've seen so far, and not just because Gardevoir's my favorite Pokemon. Ha ha. I've seriously been unimpressed with rainbow rares, so far. And Ho-oh's rainbow rare, especially compared to Gardevoir, just looks sad. I know that's a difference between looking at Ho-oh's printed design and a photo of Gardevoir's actual card, but still. Aside from an interesting GX attack and despite being a set mascot, it feels like Ho-oh got the shaft again. =( But watch. There will be a Lugia GX that will be infinitely more playable.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I find it amusing that since PCL has been making a number of powerful GX Basics and support for them (e.g. Marshdow-GX and the Tapus), they've now begun printing a decent number of Basic-hate to 'balance' them. There's an anti-Basic Vileplume and Mount Lanakila in this set, thus far!

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Regarding Scolipede, Hard Roller's English name is Steamroller, a move that the Scolipede line gets in the games.

I wonder whose bright idea it was to give Wimpod a 3-energy retreat. It's actually very fast for its evolutionary stage in the games.

Mt. Lanakila might see some play in Sun/Moon Sharpedo decks as a substitute to Aqua's Secret Base when it rotates out, but only for basics.

Vexen_IV

The Paul Heyman to Giratina-EX's Brock Lesnar.
Anyone ever notice/realize that some of these set names would make great movie/tv show titles/subtitles?

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I wonder whose bright idea it was to give Wimpod a 3-energy retreat. It's actually very fast for its evolutionary stage in the games.
Maybe it's so that both it and Golisopod GX can be searched for with Heavy Ball? Or maybe to "justify" its super relevant Ability? I dunno.

Mega Altaria

Hard-hitting Bug
I can easily see Marshadow GX being teched into various decks (my first thought was Vikavolt/Bulu and Lurantis/Bulu, giving them a nice little advantage over Turbodark decks); however, the Wimpod is a big ol' fatty with [CCC] retreat cost, butthe ability makes it payable.

TheRealBro..

Wow, shouldn't they be giving parental advice with this set, just because of that Muk card? But seriously, it looks menacing. The card shows how they did a great job on an otherwise mediocre design (regular Muk). Like it! The Charizard card seems a bit tame.. If your going to make yet another Charizard card (of course) make it interesting at least..

Edit; that Charizard Hyper Rare will be worth a small fortune in a few years. Pull it and you can probably stop studying/working.

Last edited:

Aera14

Aspiring Trainer
The Fact that the stage line for Kingdra are low energy cost poke your opponents pokemon while you evolve in to Kingdra is pretty good and them all needing just one water energy is good so it is super easy to spreed the energy around definitely see this as a good rogue deck.

MegaPod_781

Bug Thug
Yeah, lovin' the Horsea line from this set. I gotta combine it with my Primal Clash Horsea line. Also, I'd love to augment my Scolipede family with their SM3 cards.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
That full art Plumeria is too suggestive with that midriff. I hope TCPi tones this craziness down outside of Japan. /EndSnark

In all seriousness, the artwork looks great. I'm loving the vibrant colors to go with her hair!

Kyrushi

Squirrel
I'm starting to get midly annoyed with how much they're making new cards of Pokemon we've already seen the past two sets. We have over 800 Pokemon c'mon man.

SceptileSquad

Leaf Blade!
I really like Kingdra. 2 very good and interesting attacks, could be good with the Promo Tapu Koko.

And those FA/RR gardevoir artworks are beautiful

Guzma

Aspiring Trainer
[L][C] Small Appetite: If your opponent’s Active Pokemon’s maximum HP is 100 or more, this attack does nothing.

You forgot the base attack

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Po Town is unneeded bs! :(
As if Pokémon don't want anyone to play anything else than EX, GX and basics.
What a ****...